Fuse's Content

There have been 328 items by Fuse (Search limited from 20-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#36933 My Return To Nerf!

Posted by Fuse on 11 September 2004 - 08:03 PM in Off Topic

Hey guys, whats up? Im just getting back into Nerf after a bit of a hiatus. Most of my old guns were breaking and I was tired of fixing them, then NerfOnline went down, then my main Nerf buddy moved, so I just dropped the hobby. Well I get to college and find nerf alive and well in a campus-wide nerf tournament. Now I have 4 Nite Finders and a N-Strike kit coming and I'm loving it. Ive missed this hobby so much.

I dont recognize most of these names, but I remember a few of you from NerfOnline (Lemmy, CXWQ, VACC, maybe a couple others) and its nice to see some of the more experienced guys I used to respect are still active. (Spoon still around?) You guys may remember me as "Viron_X", but likely not. Anyways, just saying hello. Ive got a NF/SSPB splice Im going to post later tonight, its my first time opening a gun in a couple years and Im pleased to say I didnt mess up anywhere. ^_^

#36964 Mostly Complete Nf Mod

Posted by Fuse on 11 September 2004 - 10:32 PM in Modifications

All right, I did this in my dorm, without access to most of my old gear like goop, bondo, hot-glue, or any barrel material. I’m going home next weekend to get my old stuff and buy some new materials (I just ordered some PETG, which I had never heard of in the old days). I plan on making this a bit prettier and replace the barrels on both the NF and SSPB portion of the gun. I also want to use bondo to clean up the hole where the light used to be, leave just enough room for the darts.

My goal was to put a SSPB in the front of my NS, and put ammo storage in the grip and old light cavity. Not really that hard, though all I had was a knife, no dremel or glue of any kind. I war in daylight and know how to aim, so that LED was useless and weighty.

What I did was simple, but I wanted to share this so people know it’s easy and do-able. Besides, this is my first mod in a couple years, so I want to show others. :) First you open the case and take out the air restrictors and such, all the standard plunger gun mods. Remove the light assembly; it’s a simple matter of undoing a few screws. The trickier part is cutting the gun down to fit the black pieces.

Posted Image

I cut off the front bracket for the ammo holder, and trimmed the sides of the back bracket so that the SSPB fit snugly. There was no way to make it fit in the front half due to the angled cap on the plunger tube. I’m sure I could replace the tube or something to make it fit, but like I said I didn’t have the gear. I plan on modding the SSPB so it will fit better and put it in one of my other NFs and just trim this one down completely (PPK I think people are calling it), maybe put the LED back in - the lense.

You also need to trim down the ribs in the battery compartment. Cut them so that the black piece from the ammo slots in the front fits in at the back of the compartment. Just snug it up against the back piece that used to hold the contacts. You will also need to trim the black piece down some. If you look it’s thicker in the middle, just trim the thicker areas off with a knife and definitely cut off the little black pegs. The plastic is a bit heftier than most of the gun, but it’s not too bad. Slide it into the area you trimmed from the battery compartment and it should stay fine on its own. The trimming wasn’t an exact science, just keep trimming till it fits, there is a lot of extra plastic you don’t need because it’s not going to take much of a beating inside the gun.

Posted Image

Here I have highlighted the areas I had to cut down. I know you can't see much detail; I just wanted to point out the areas. You should be able to figure how exactly what to trim on your own. One of the black ammo holder pieces is still whole in this pic while the other is fully trimmed to go in the grip of the gun. The one that is whole will be halved and trimmed slightly for the front ammo holder.

I haven’t gotten the ammo holder in the front yet because I don’t have any adhesive with me, but I've trimmed the hole so that I know it will work. If you just take the thin half of the other black dart-holder piece (not the one you put in the grip, that one I left whole) and trim the rounded edges it should fit horizontally in the area that used to hold the light. The entire piece won’t fit due to the rounded section between the two brackets. You will also need to cut out the peg that the light was screwed in to or the darts will hit it. Anyways, you should be able to glue the thin half of the black piece right in the front of the gun and trim the hole the light came out of just a bit too either side. I've already tested it and it works, I just need glue. :D

Posted Image

It’s not the prettiest, but it works, and in my day that was what really mattered (I've seen a lot of shots taken at people with mods that don’t look purdy in my recent browsing). You now have two shots and 4 extra darts. The SSPB's firing button can comfortably be depressed with either your trigger finger or your middle finger (my preference). It fits very snugly in the back bracket (obviously since I had to trim the edges a bit) and doesn’t wiggle at all, either when pumping or firing. Very solid feel to it. I’m not even sure the duct tape is necessary, but Id rather not risk breaking the back bracket.

So that’s it. Sorry it's not perfect or 100%, but you get the idea. Like I said, I mainly was just proud that I got it to work as I had hoped. When I first saw the NF in Target I thought, "Hey, I don’t really Nerf anymore, but I should still get a gun to take to college for kicks, and this looks like a solid plunger design." Then I saw the SSPB on the rack above it and immediately knew I had to try to combine them, even though I hadn’t touched a gun recently. I’m glad to see both lived up to my expectations, especially since I bought 4 NFs because they were cheap. One for each suitemate was the plan... I got greedy. :)

#36965 Size Of Brass Barrel And Dart Size

Posted by Fuse on 11 September 2004 - 10:40 PM in Modifications

I don't want to hijack here, but I'm a bit rusty on the nerf news and since this is a barrel topic I figured it would be ok to ask here.

What happened to PVC? I only see it used to reinforce weaker brass and PETG nowadays, even on plunger guns. I understand the advantage of brass and PETG having lower friction, but last I knew the theory was that the added friction of the PVC as opposed to brass on a plunger gun was that since the plunger takes longer to release all its air then the PVC would hold the dart longer and allow for the pressure to build up better before setting the dart in motion. It was believed that letting the friction keep the pressure building a bit longer would increase the range better than a slick brass barrel (we didnt have PETG back then).

Has this been disproven or something? I was just wondering. I feel like an old geezer trying to program a new VCR or something.

#36969 The Art Of Swift

Posted by Fuse on 11 September 2004 - 11:06 PM in Modifications

Vintage, just judging by the way they sit I'd say they left it with three. Having only two arranged like that wouldn't make much sense anyways.

#36971 Internal Pictures Wanted...

Posted by Fuse on 11 September 2004 - 11:08 PM in General Nerf

I have a warthog back home that broke after years of use (it was my favorite pistol, so small and strong, always caught people by surprise!) that I intend to pick up while Im there. I want to try to fix good old "Bertha" as she was called, but it won't be till next weekend. If no one else gets photos up before that I'll take some pics for you.

#36973 Petg Tubing

Posted by Fuse on 11 September 2004 - 11:11 PM in General Nerf

I just ordered 12' off of mcmaster. Its not expensive and is sold in 6' instead of 100' :) Lets hope is decent product, tho I won't terribly miss an hour's pay if it is crap (I get paid crumbs working at college).

#36975 Eab Breech Mod

Posted by Fuse on 11 September 2004 - 11:24 PM in Modifications

I'm wondering if you have any plans for retreiving the shells. It looks like they just fall out, which is fine, and I'd imagine they aren't hard to find, but I would still hate to loose 'em. Maybe you could make a little box or sack that would hang just next to and under the ejection port to catch the ejecting shells? Just thinking.

Anyways, great mod. Very nice idea, excellent execution.

Oh, one other question, why is the handle so long? Maybe it isn't bad with the clip on, but right now it looks kinda goofy, at least in pictures. I don't think you would even need it to be as long as the grips, you could make it super short like the bolt on a rifle and not grip it with your entire hand. Just my thoughts on perfecting an already truly righteous mod.

#36981 Possible Thanksgiving War?

Posted by Fuse on 12 September 2004 - 12:16 AM in Nerf Wars

Just curious, where is this "Winding River"? Im in GA, going to college at GCSU in BFE. I don't know what my schedule will be like, but Im just getting back to nerf and now that Im old enough to drive I would love to actually make it to a large war. I used to have wet dreams of LANO and its ilk.

#36987 Possible Thanksgiving War?

Posted by Fuse on 12 September 2004 - 12:53 AM in Nerf Wars

Toms River, New Jersey. 08753.

Ouch, thats what I was afraid of. Thats quite a drive. :)

#37002 Mostly Complete Nf Mod

Posted by Fuse on 12 September 2004 - 10:32 AM in Modifications

I like how instead of cutting all the way through the case you got it to fit right in the ammo holder spot. Good thinking.

Thanks, I really like the positioning of the trigger on the SSPB the way I've put it together, its straight out from my middle finger so I can keep one finger on both guns.

That looks pretty cool tho. Makes me want to try maybe a double barrel mod and see if I can get it together like that. Has anyone else tried this?

#37006 Helix Barrel

Posted by Fuse on 12 September 2004 - 11:00 AM in Homemades

I think i understand what he is saying, The notches cut out of the end of the barrel makes the air dispearse off the the sides insteaf of moving past the dart and destroying the air pocket that the dart is traveling on.

If you fire a dart the air will sit behind it untill it leave the barrel, this makes the dart go forwards, but once the dart leaves the barrel there is no more resistance for the air so due to it having less friction against the air than the dart it will travel past the dart and mess up the air around the dart causing it to fish tail.

Looking at 3DBBQ's barrel design it loosk as though it would make the air dispearse off to the sides more than straight ahead therefore affecting the dart less.

Have things like this been tried before? Because it seems like a pretty good idea to let the air disperse off to the sides rather than continue to manipulate the dart once it no longer has the guide of the barrel.

#37019 Current Gun Availability

Posted by Fuse on 12 September 2004 - 01:14 PM in General Nerf

You guys seem to like the Airtech guns, are they still available or have they been discontinued?

Other than the N-Strike, NF, and Tech Target are there other guns that have good mod potential? Im looking for something that might give me good middle ground between that beast of a gun the Titan and my NiteFinders. Im looking for a good assault weapon. Preferrably something I can fit in my backpack along with a couple books. Id feel kinda nekkid walking back to my dorm with only a Nite Finder or Scout for protection.

#37027 What Are Some New Nerf Games?

Posted by Fuse on 12 September 2004 - 01:45 PM in General Nerf

This one is a bit larger scale than what is being posted here, but its fun so here are the basics. Were currently working on putting a war together at my college.

Basically its just a big tournament. The war is on 24/7. We're doing it with 5 teams of 10. It's single elimination and once you are killed you are no longer allowed to carry a weapon.

At the end of each week there is a meeting to announce who is eliminated. All players must disarm for this, no weapons allowed to or from the meeting. If an entire team isnt taken out by the end of the week then the two weakest teams (ones with the most players eliminated) meet for a showdown. At the end of each week the teams that were not eliminated get reinforced, meaning all players elimiated during the week return to the game except for the teams who are completely eliminated.

There are certain zones that are safe zones. In our case this includes areas such as the Art/Sci Building, Classrooms, the library, and the dining hall, Dorms, inside sporting events, you get the picture. You dont want to disrupt the daily activitys of those around you.

Players are NOT identified in any way. You have to learn who is on the other teams by looks. This is mainly because we want to use this as a community building exercise, get to know the folks in your dorm, so you can have active players wear a colored arm band to show their team affiliation if you desire. Players who have been eliminated have to wear a black band on their arm for the rest of the week. Once their team is eliminated and its announced at the weekly meeting then they can take it off obviously.

As additional motivation you may want to include an entry fee of $5 or something. At the end the entire pot is split up amongst the members of the winning team. We have opted not to do this since this is the first time its been done on our campus and gambling is not allowed. We want to keep it as legit as possible for the first tournament.

#37035 Rf 20

Posted by Fuse on 12 September 2004 - 02:41 PM in General Nerf

yes

#37044 What Are Some New Nerf Games?

Posted by Fuse on 12 September 2004 - 04:05 PM in General Nerf

Well of course you have to keep civvys in mind, as you do in any nerf event held in a public place. If you hit a civy and it causes a problem you are counted as dead, and if you killed anyone in the incident they are revived.

We havent started yet so we havent had trouble with law enforcement, but we hope it wont be a problem. We arent permitting homemades or guns painted dark colors.

Me and some friends did this back in sophomore year in HS, but only had 4 teams of 5. You can adjust the rules to fit the number of players. With fewer people the organization can be looser and the games shorter. Ours were only one round and usually only lasted a week. Everything would then reset and start all over.

I did see that news article about the highschool that was trying to shut down a similar game, but there were like 200 players or something insane like that. Also, highschool is a lot less understanding of kids having good clean fun than college is. The older you are, the less likely people are going to bust your balls, thats just the way the world seems to work usually.

If you do this during your years in lower level education I suggest keeping it well away from school grounds, especially these days. In highschool we were "safe" going to and from school, no guns allowed on your person at all during those times, and the city square was off limits. This kept us away from most heavily occupied areas.

#37046 Eab Breech Mod

Posted by Fuse on 12 September 2004 - 04:12 PM in Modifications

Could someone point me to a definition for an "unknown breech"? I didnt see one when I searched the board.

#37087 Eab Breech Mod

Posted by Fuse on 12 September 2004 - 08:32 PM in Modifications

Here's the Unknown Breach

Take a look at the mods and homemades section on the site to get a jist of what nerfers are working with today. You should also take a look at the articles, especially ones that deal with stefan darts.

Ahh, shoulda thought to look into the homemades for it. Thanks for the link.

Trust me, I know how to make stefans. I got that down to an art (tho I never did have access to a drill press).

#37095 Titan Ammo

Posted by Fuse on 13 September 2004 - 12:04 AM in Modifications

Allright, I ordered an N-Strike set, but I wont have it for another week since I shipped it to my house and need to pick it up.

Ive been running ideas through my head for Titan homemade ammo, but in the end its futile since I dont have any on hand. What Im asking for is a few measurements on the missile from someone who has it. If anyone can help me out it would be awesome. I just want to get some refferences for some of the ideas Ive got to see if it will work.

Total length
Length of the dark foam (back to the grey ring)
Length of the tip (the orange and grey on front)
External diameter
Internal diameter
Length of internal shaft (how far the Titan goes into the Missile)

#37100 Titan Ammo

Posted by Fuse on 13 September 2004 - 07:10 AM in Modifications

Rad, thanks.

I assume the hole in the center goes all the way through the dark foam section?

#37107 Best Way To Cut Brass Barrels?

Posted by Fuse on 13 September 2004 - 10:19 AM in Modifications

I use very good pipe cutters and then smooth the edges. Mine dont come out crimped much, maybe you are applying too much pressure when cutting. Increase slowly so that it cuts into it less at a time maybe?

#37142 Long Range Weapon

Posted by Fuse on 13 September 2004 - 05:41 PM in General Nerf

Your list is lacking. Id say go for a Secret Shot 2 or SM5k. I have both and they are awesome, and could be conciderably easier to find than that Ultimator (which by the way is an overrated gun if you ever actually get your hands on one).

#37144 Titan Ammo

Posted by Fuse on 13 September 2004 - 05:51 PM in Modifications

Dan's idea is actually one of the ones I was looking at. One thing I was thinking of tho was putting a sheet of foam or something on the inside to smooth the rough pourous edges from the drilling. My other idea for this is perhaps some sort of thin plastic such as that from a 2L soda bottle which would have lower friction than a sheet of thin foam. The cells on those noodles are pretty big compared to any nerf foam Ive seen, including Ultimator rockets, so I figured putting something on the inside was a good idea.

How did you straighten the noodle? Ive been trying to figure this out, and my best idea so far was just to cut it and stick it on the titan and then try to heat it up some, but it would really need to be straight before drilling is the problem. Another idea I had was to secure it to something straight and leave it outside like many people do for stefans. I just have no experience trying to deal with noodle foam. ^_^

Im also working on other ideas for the tip, but I dont know if any of them are going to pan out at all, so Ill just keep quiet for now.

That reminds me, I have one more question, is the tip hollow like Ultimator rockets, or is it solid? If so, is it heavy?

#37180 Lookin For Some Fun

Posted by Fuse on 14 September 2004 - 08:26 AM in Nerf Wars

Any nerfers in the south east? I live in Decatur (Just next to Atl) and am currently at school in Milledgeville. Are there any other nerfers in the GA area?

#37189 Titan Trouble

Posted by Fuse on 14 September 2004 - 04:17 PM in Modifications

Can you pop it off with a screwdriver or knife? Thats what I did with guns that had annoying rings like that, tho I havent got a Titan yet.

#37226 Lookin For Some Fun

Posted by Fuse on 14 September 2004 - 11:35 PM in Nerf Wars

This makes me sad. :(

#37304 Klaus

Posted by Fuse on 16 September 2004 - 03:14 PM in Off Topic

Saw that a while ago and laughed my ass off. Good stuff.

#37306 Rest In Peace

Posted by Fuse on 16 September 2004 - 03:17 PM in Off Topic

Another great one leaves us.

#37308 Rest In Peace

Posted by Fuse on 16 September 2004 - 03:42 PM in Off Topic

All but Tommy, the drummer. :ph34r:

#37354 Klaus

Posted by Fuse on 17 September 2004 - 08:58 AM in Off Topic

You dont really need to understand it to like it. It is just a forklift safety video.

The link seemed to work for me, but if not try this. Either one worked for me.

PS. You can skip the first minute and a half. After that it gets hilarious.

#37368 Titan Mod

Posted by Fuse on 17 September 2004 - 04:08 PM in Modifications

Allright, this is going to sound dumb, but how the crap do you get the barrel off of the thing if you've already put it on? I read that you push and turn, but that doesnt help, neither does pulling. Is there some trick Im just not getting? Its definitely not that Im not applying enough force. Is there no way to get it off if Ive put it on completely (heard both clicks)? Im very frustrated.

EDIT:
Nevermind, it came off. I dont know WHY but it did. Ive been sitting here for over an hour, my hands are cut up from the plastic casing digging into my skin. My palms are red from the force. You know what? My dad comes home (Im home for the weekend), and hes a big guy, so I call him in to try. Im just showing him what to do, not even trying really, and the stupid thing just pops and unscrews. My Titan hates me.

#37395 How Are Nerf Guns Made?

Posted by Fuse on 17 September 2004 - 07:40 PM in General Nerf

If Im not mistaken many modern nerf guns, the pump variety, are dreived from the old Larami SuperMaxxx guns. Nerf bough Larami's dartgun line, leaving them with SuperSoakers I think, and lowerd the power, changed the cases, and rereleased many old Larami designs. Since then they have expanded the pump-gun line by quite a bit with new designs.

#37398 How Are Nerf Guns Made?

Posted by Fuse on 17 September 2004 - 08:14 PM in General Nerf

hasbro owns larami and I beleive has for a awhile, and I see where the larami ballgun shares similarities w/ the wildfire etc.

Yeah, its been a good while since they purchased Larami. Dont remember exactly when, but it was back when I still nerfed.

#37610 Dremel?

Posted by Fuse on 22 September 2004 - 07:32 AM in Modifications

I bought the cordless, multi-speed, Li-Io Dremel, and so far I love it. Cant stand the ones with cords, especially since I use it for engraving on occasion.

#37625 Semi Auto Sniper Rifle

Posted by Fuse on 22 September 2004 - 02:53 PM in Modifications

"If you want ranges of over 100' your playing the wrong sport."
What are you talking about? There have been guns that broke 100' for quite a while.

"Im not even going to get into the damage a weighted dart being shot at someone from under 100' with the titan would do to the human body."
I think the human body is a lot tougher than you give it credit for. At least for most of us. Mabe you need more vitamins.

I dont understand why some people have such a problem with the titan. Yes, it should be reserved for loser duty, but it isnt going to kill someone. I just didnt plug the pressure release on mine, so it will only do 16 pumps, and its not going to break the skin. Trust me, my roommate shot me from 3 ft. It's not much worse than a paintball, and I didnt even have any clothing to soften the blow (he caught me while I was changing shirts, and hit me under the arm too. grrr).

Like I said, I agree that it should not be used up close, but why would you want to anyways when you have the hornet? Increasing the ROF by a bit on the titan isnt going to kill the sport. With a bladder as big as this requires you wont want to waste your air for close ranges when there are guns with much better ROF that can easily fill the 0'-80' role that wont require 50 pumps.

NFS, I think its a cool idea. I like the way you plan on using the already existing mechanisms on the Titan. Pretty clever. Be sure to ignore these punks and let us know how it turns out. Even if NinjZ is too scared to let you shoot at him with it, at least its a fun idea to play around with.

#37636 Semi Auto Sniper Rifle

Posted by Fuse on 22 September 2004 - 05:48 PM in Modifications

"I think I could probably remove your eyesight[...]"
Do you not require eye protection? Thats been standard at most wars for a long time. Doubt it would knock you out though. Headshots arent legal in our wars anyways. If you can't hit the torso instead of head with something as accurate as the Titan you dont have any business weilding it.
And why would you be shooting a five year old?

All I did with my titan was take out the air supressors, remove those annoying balls, and add a PETG barrel. I don't have exact ranges because it overshot my usual parking lot I use, which is at least 130' or 140'. Plugging the release valve is not necessary at all for this gun if you plan to use it in a war.

I am not going to dispute that the Titan has the potential to injure, but it doesnt come that way, you have to make it that powerful. The Titan is not inherently evil, man makes it so. :D Do not hate the beast for the sins of its creator.

In this mod he is controlling how much air is being put into the main chamber, so I just assumed he would keep the pressure safe. Maybe he could be a crazy boy who wants to put a dart through a cat, but I give him the benefit of the doubt. :lol:

#37641 Semi Auto Sniper Rifle

Posted by Fuse on 22 September 2004 - 06:51 PM in Modifications

Hmm, no doubt it would blast through cheap glasses, the only thing those are good for is keeping little bits of debris out of your eyes, but my safety glasses took a hit at 10' fine. What kind of Stephans do you guys usually use? Im going with 2.5" with 2 BB sinkers.

#37661 Lookin For Some Fun

Posted by Fuse on 22 September 2004 - 09:08 PM in Nerf Wars

Awesome to hear. Looking forward to shooting (and being shot by) you guys. *thumbs up*

#37672 Eab Breech Mod

Posted by Fuse on 23 September 2004 - 08:32 AM in Modifications

A drill press allows you to drill a hole down the center and make sure it is perfectly straight.

#38004 Future Video Game Poll

Posted by Fuse on 29 September 2004 - 07:53 PM in Off Topic

HL2 fo shizzle. The technology is still the best there is. No console FPS can really match it due to the already well developed mod base.

Halo belongs on the computer. You hear that, Microsoft?! As FPSs go it isnt really that amazing, it is just the best FPS for a console. Seriously, tell me what makes Halo 2 so amazing? Im not saying it wont be fun, just not the god-game you all seem to tout it as. I may have missed it, but are there any major technological advances or revolutions to gameplay? They already had solid gameplay down in Halo, so I don't see what major advantages this sequel has.

As long as you put PC and Console titles in the same poll the PC FPSs will be the top dog. Im not saying that console suck, just that PCs are a different section of the market than consoles.

Burnout lacks depth and would benefit greatly from using all 4 controllers on the XBox. It is a pretty fun game, but mostly for partys.

Doom3 lacks anything but fancy shadows. I'm still kicking myself for blowing cash on this junk.

#38016 Future Video Game Poll

Posted by Fuse on 30 September 2004 - 06:43 AM in Off Topic

THEengineer, all those games are personnel favourites. As for why Halo 2 is going to be great, one word. Multiplayer.
~Halfling

Ah yes, multiplayer. Something we dont see much in the FPS genre. :rolleyes: