Photo

Best Way To Cut Brass Barrels?

8 replies to this topic

#1 danfluidmind

danfluidmind

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:20 AM

Hi all. I was wondering, what's the best way to cut K&S brass barrels. I've noticed that if I use a pipe cutter the ends are crimped every-so-slightly, so that the dart doesn't go in easily (or so that the 17/32" piece doesn't fit into the 9/16" piece). Is there a better way to cut the barrels?

Also, should I use a file and smooth out the end? I've noticed the ends of my darts getting a bit frayed because the sharp entry point on the barrel is cutting them.

Cheers
--Dan

Edited by danfluidmind, 13 September 2004 - 09:15 AM.

#2 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:19 AM

I use very good pipe cutters and then smooth the edges. Mine dont come out crimped much, maybe you are applying too much pressure when cutting. Increase slowly so that it cuts into it less at a time maybe?
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#3 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:57 AM

I just use a hacksaw. It makes the edge a little rough, but sandpaper does the trick. The good thing about the hacksaw, is that it doesn't warp the end like pipe cutters. The bad thing about the hacksaw is that it is harder to make a straight cut.

If you want to use a pipe cutter, use a pocket knife and shave off the inside of the lip. That will take care of the indentation at the end.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#4 Ender

Ender

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 01:27 PM

I’m going to go with Fuse on this one, but the trick is to take your time and don’t apply to much pressure at once. And for the little bit of shaving I use a razor blade. Another thing to keep in mind is that brass can be bought in one foot sections. Most of the time I use 6 inch barrels so I cut once in the middle and use the cut section to connect with the gun, thus leaving the uncut as my point of entry for the dart, fraying problem solved.

#5 agent007

agent007

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 01:45 PM

you have to get a wooden dowel that is a little bit smaller than the brass. Then it wont warp.

#6 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 01:49 PM

A hacksaw works great for me. You just have to practice. I've tried using pipe cutter, and no matter how much I decrease the pressure (etc.) I cannot get rid of the lip. And I've tried the pocket knife technique, it didn't work for me.

#7 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 03:04 PM

I use hacksaw -> file -> sandpaper.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#8 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 03:13 PM

I bought a K&S Brass cutter at my local hobby shop. It works great. It's very compact too. It's about 2 inches long.

#9 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:05 PM

hacksaw
~SS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users