KBarker's Content

There have been 122 items by KBarker (Search limited from 12-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#122352 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by KBarker on 07 September 2007 - 06:08 PM in Modifications

Some of my newer mods:

LBB with dual SMDTG integration, mod here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Longshot with an Angel breech, CaptainSlug foregrip, and AR removal/added spring.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#99774 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by KBarker on 14 February 2007 - 03:17 AM in Modifications

These mods are posted in detail around the forums, but I hadn't posted them here yet. Here are my guns:

My PETG Magstrike:
Posted Image

Posted Image

My minimized NiteFinder, has an aluminum barrel and custom belt clip:

Posted Image

My clipped NiteFinder, has 6 and 10 shot removable magazines:

Posted Image

Posted Image

My Maverick, with CPVC barrels:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And my NiteFinder Rifle, with a double length PETG plunger tube and huge spring:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#142418 The Vulcan

Posted by KBarker on 24 February 2008 - 07:18 PM in General Nerf

I don't think it would be that hard to convert it to run off of rechargeable batteries kind of like an RC car

Thats going to be one of the first things Il be diong to this when it comes into my hands.

Yeah, I kinda laugh at all the people who complain about the 6 D batteries. I doubt I'll even buy the stock batteries, since I'll have it running on lithium polymer batteries in about 5 minutes.

#138340 +bow: Diy Thread

Posted by KBarker on 03 February 2008 - 03:36 AM in Homemades

I use paper templates a lot for all sorts of parts, and I attach them with thin double-stick tape. You don't have to get it on there real good, just enough so that it doesn't shift around while you're cutting and drilling. CS, could you try uploading your CAD files to www.3dcontentcentral.com? It converts the files into whatever format you want when someone downloads it.

#122209 How Many Guns Do You Have In Your Arsenal?

Posted by KBarker on 06 September 2007 - 03:04 AM in General Nerf

I'll throw my arsenal into the collection. I usually buy guns, fire a shot or two, then rip them apart to mod them. I've linked some of them to my mod threads.

1- NF (Rifle)
1- NF
1- Clipped NF
2- Mavericks, CPVC'd
2- RF 20s (PETG'd)
1- Magstrike
1- Titan
1- Scout
1- BBB
1- Longshot (Angel breech, CS foregrip)
1- Manta Ray
1- LBB (with SMDTG integration)
1- Ripsaw
1- DT3
1- SSPB

Casualties of modding:
1- Hornet
1- SM3K yellow
1- NF (intentionally, it was hacked up for the NF rifle)

#137919 +bow

Posted by KBarker on 31 January 2008 - 02:46 AM in Homemades

I've noticed you're considering buying a very expensive machine to mass produce these. I would recommend looking in the yellow pages for a waterjet job shop. If you're really going for mass production, buy 4x8 sheets of plastic and have them cut out all your parts in one go. It'll probably be much cheaper than buying your own machine. Make sure you shop around for quotes, however, prices vary wildly.

#164676 The Vulcan: Internals And Mods! New Mods Pg.9!

Posted by KBarker on 26 July 2008 - 06:40 PM in Modifications

I would really like to see a firing video with two chains hooked together.

#122236 Modifying A Longshot?

Posted by KBarker on 06 September 2007 - 02:48 PM in Modifications

Another possibility is that the bolt isn't quite going back far enough to fully catch, due to different springs or moving the bolt nub. I found you can fudge that and make the bolt travel a bit farther by dremelling a few spots down on the case.

#122655 Modifying A Longshot?

Posted by KBarker on 11 September 2007 - 01:55 AM in Modifications

Are there any non-obvious spots to dremel down, or did you just lengthen the track the charging rod travels on?
If there are other spots, could you possibly point them out? My charging rod bent, and straightening didn't work too well.

IIRC correctly there were 3 spots total, the slot where the rod goes through and a couple inside. I can't remember exactly where they were, it took some experimenting to figure it out. I believe they were on the right side of the gun. That rod is really easy to replace, it should be easy to find something at a hardware store that'll work.

#119276 Magstrike Modification.

Posted by KBarker on 12 August 2007 - 03:53 PM in Modifications

Yeah, I saw that. But I'm not sure if it's the same PETG as OMC's. I guess the longer barrels like that probably help if it is OMC's PETG, since it's looser than the 17/32" brass.

Yes, I use OMCs PETG, and Forsaken's red foam. The gun shoots real well, but of course with 3" barrels you can only use stefans. I believe the longer barrels improve the range though.

#122778 Abp5k

Posted by KBarker on 12 September 2007 - 03:12 AM in Homemades

Shit, sorry.

#122777 Abp5k

Posted by KBarker on 12 September 2007 - 03:11 AM in Homemades

If you're lazy and have a lot of extra cash, you could have all those parts waterjet cut out.

#119409 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 13 August 2007 - 03:41 PM in Modifications

Why not just relocate the "Detonator" along the side of the handle of your gun... so that you can press it with your thumb and still use the trigger of the other gun? that's what I'll be doing when I get some more tubing connectors.

-bags

That's one way to do it. I'm going to try a simply string-pull type trigger today, we'll see if it works.

#119423 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 13 August 2007 - 06:25 PM in Modifications

I found some nifty plastic barb connectors today. They fit the Nerf tubing perfectly, and come in T's and butt connectors. They are called Rain-Drip, and are available at hardware stores and gardening places.

#119501 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 13 August 2007 - 11:30 PM in Modifications

You guys are all slackers! :lol: I've already got an integration mostly done!
LBB with dual Spidey guns

#120140 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 17 August 2007 - 02:29 PM in Modifications

Finished my LBB integration:

Posted Image

More details HERE

#119437 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 13 August 2007 - 08:18 PM in Modifications

I didn't say that they were earth-shattering, but it's nice to be able to get them locally.

#119028 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 09 August 2007 - 10:31 PM in Modifications

Wow. I just picked up some of these and 5 minutes later I've already got the ARs out. Give me another 10 minutes and I'll have PETG barrels. Truly an amazing gun. The barrels, trigger, and pump are only connected with tube, if we could figure out how to extend the tubes, you can put the trigger and pump anywhere on another gun you want.

#118920 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 09 August 2007 - 12:50 AM in Modifications

Wow, I must have tried every other search term possible. Thanks. $33 seems kinda steep to me, but if they're as good as Falcon says they are.......

#118914 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 09 August 2007 - 12:03 AM in Modifications

OK, I've looked all over (TRU, Amazon, Target) and I can't find these online. How much do they cost?

#119274 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 12 August 2007 - 03:47 PM in Modifications

You might try extending the tubes, and running them outside the shell through holes to accomodate the lack of internal space in the Mav shell. Then, after a paintjob, it'd basically look like some alien gun with tubes full of goo-like shit all over the place.

I thought about that, but I found an LBB at my local Walgreens and I'm gonna use that instead. Luckily I didn't destroy the Mav, so I can use it for something else.

#119032 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 09 August 2007 - 11:42 PM in Modifications

OK, I've got my PETG barrels on. I tried 3" on the first one and noticed that they fired further when they weren't shoved all the way in. 2" barrels on the 2nd one worked much better. There's also no need to glue the barrels, just dremel out the tabs at the base of the barrel stub and wrap about 1.5 turns of E tape on the PETG.

#119057 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 10 August 2007 - 11:20 AM in Modifications

Looks like he cut that barrel a little short, probably by accident. The bases are all the same height. There's only one airtank for all 3 barrels BTW.

#119144 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 11 August 2007 - 02:19 AM in Modifications

I cut the hoses off and hot glued in some temporary tubes to make sure it worked, no problems with it. I tried to integrate two of them into a Mav shell, but there just isn't room for all the tubing. It's a shame because the Mav drum matches the barrel pattern exactly. I don't really have a good candidate to integrate them into, I could really use an LBB.

#119092 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 10 August 2007 - 02:57 PM in Modifications

Oops, my mistake. I thought the air tank was the piece with all 4 tubes going into it. It seems to operate much like 3 SSPBs.

#163793 The Vulcan: Unboxed

Posted by KBarker on 22 July 2008 - 10:28 PM in Modifications

I had asked earlier what the RoF is like and never got an answer. The videos I've seen never shot it very much and the batteries were dead. Is it fast like the RF20 or is kind of like the semi auto version of the RF20. Or slower?

It says on the outside of the box 3 shots a second.

Oh my god, that's fast! does it really shoot that fast or is it their usual overestimation?

More like 2 per second.

I measured ranges and I have stock ranges

stock: 30 feet.
minor modded: 50-60 feet.

I cant wait to take out the the primary AR Inside the gun. This could end up being a full auto NF.
Also the gun really does take 6 d batteries it weighs quite a bit. *sarcasm* can someone airmail me a screwdriver?*sarcasm*

No matter where you are, the nearest hardware store will have your small screwdriver for around $5 or less.

#117644 The Eyes Of Fire.

Posted by KBarker on 30 July 2007 - 02:59 PM in Modifications

Absolutely incredible. I think to take full advantage of HPA, however, you should add drop-and-swap turrets. The slowest part of reloading an RF20 is always shoving all the darts into the barrels. Thanks for mentioning my spacers on that beast!

#124087 Halo 3

Posted by KBarker on 24 September 2007 - 10:49 PM in Off Topic

No 1080p for me, but I've got a 23" Samsung that does 720p. Can't wait!

#141672 The Snap-duo

Posted by KBarker on 21 February 2008 - 01:24 AM in Homemades

The shield looks absolutely awesome. My only suggestion is to paint the PVC black to match, that basic white isn't doing it for me. Great work!

#166104 My Real Hobby...

Posted by KBarker on 03 August 2008 - 01:18 AM in Off Topic

Biohazard was an awesome robot, as was Hazard. However, the old Battlebots machines can't beat today's machines, the technology has progressed too much in 5 years. Biohazard came back in 2005, and this is what happened:

Biohazard vs. Megabyte

Lynx, a good overall design is one thing, the successful execution of it is something else entirely.

#166091 My Real Hobby...

Posted by KBarker on 02 August 2008 - 11:21 PM in Off Topic

Look at one of my robot's pages and click on "Components". It shows exactly what I have in each bot. Drill motors are an excellent option with some modification, I use them in several bots. The batteries however are generally not up to the task.

#166677 My Real Hobby...

Posted by KBarker on 04 August 2008 - 11:23 PM in Off Topic

Sorry, no. Nitrocellulose is against the rules to use as flamethrower fuel (must be propane or butane) and bots are primarily made of aluminum and titanium, which is nonmagnetic.

#198143 My Real Hobby...

Posted by KBarker on 22 December 2008 - 07:52 PM in Off Topic

New video:

Team Velocity Montage

#166081 My Real Hobby...

Posted by KBarker on 02 August 2008 - 10:27 PM in Off Topic

Another year, another RoboGames. I've got a new website now that I've been putting quite a bit of effort into:

www.TeamVelocityRobotics.com

I took my 60 pounder "K2" and my 120 pounder "Terminal Velocity" to this event. K2 went 6-0 and got 1st place! Terminal Velocity went 2-2 with some drive system problems, but worked well in a couple fights. If you're impatient, here are the highlights of my bots in 4 minutes flat:

Team Velocity RoboGames 2008 Montage (YouTube)

#113812 My Real Hobby...

Posted by KBarker on 29 June 2007 - 08:07 PM in Off Topic

Have you done any antweight bots?

Yep, they are a lot of fun for much less cash than a bigger bot. I actually prefer beetles (3 pounds) they are a little easier to work on and are heavy enough you can actually use metal frames.

#113071 My Real Hobby...

Posted by KBarker on 25 June 2007 - 09:20 PM in Off Topic

Is the weapon on the big one just a big piece of metal or is it sharpened? How much does it cost to make one of these and where do you get the parts?

The weapon on the big one is a titanium bar with S7 tool steel teeth. The teeth are not really sharpened to cut, they are more a blunt impact weapon, with the corners left square to get a bite on the opponent. This design didn't work, becuase as you can see in the video the titanium cracked in its second match. I am going to use a simpler one-piece design next time. My bots have cost me quite a bit. The 3 bots cost roughly $3000, $2000, and $750 from largest to smallest. I get the parts from a wide variety of sources, a good place to start is www.robotmarketplace.com

The weight classes work just like you would think, for example a "middleweight" can weigh between 60 and 120 pounds. Naturally you try to get as close to the limit as possible to cram the most power into your bot. My biggest bot weighed exactly 118.5 lbs. at the event, and my other two bots were really close at 59.5 and 12.0.

#113010 My Real Hobby...

Posted by KBarker on 25 June 2007 - 02:34 PM in Off Topic

These 3 are mine, if you couldn't tell in the video.

Posted Image

Yes, they are electric. Damage does kinda suck when it happens to your bot, my biggest bot was damaged pretty badly. I had my titanium blade trashed and a $350 weapon motor destroyed. They are almost never a total loss however. Usually most of the expensive stuff is still in one piece and can be carried over when the bot is rebuilt.

#112943 My Real Hobby...

Posted by KBarker on 25 June 2007 - 12:47 AM in Off Topic

For those who are interested, I just got back from the biggest fighting robot competition in the world. Here is a video of my bots kicking ass. There are 3 of my bots in the video, 12 pounds, 60 pounds, and 120 pounds. The 60 pounder took 2nd place. There are lots more videos on my youtube page.

#113099 My Real Hobby...

Posted by KBarker on 26 June 2007 - 01:27 AM in Off Topic

I'm assuming you have something along the lines of sponsors?

Nope, no sponsors, sadly. My bots are entirely self built and financed. As you can imagine it eats up most of my expendable cash.

"Any chance Ziggo, Nightmare, Biohazard, or any of the Scrap Daddies were there?"

Nope, these bots haven't competed in several years. However, Carlo (builder of Biohazard) was there with Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters) promoting some really lame boxing robots they made.

"How smart do you need to be to build one of these?"

I started building bots about 5 years ago, as a freshman in high school with no experience at all in electronics, machining, or metalworking. It took me a full year to get my original 120 pound bot done. I've since learned a huge amount and my latest bot (the 60) I designed fully in SolidWorks and did the entire assembly and wiring in 3 weeks. Anyone can learn to build a bot by learning from what has been done before and a lot of trial and error. Much like nerfers, bot builders are very open with their designs and are quick to help another builder.

#100108 Cdr-s.m.

Posted by KBarker on 19 February 2007 - 11:45 PM in Homemades

You could also wire up the solenoid to the guts of a cheap RC car, then you could trigger it manually from 40 feet away when someone walks by. Awesome grenade!