okto's Content

There have been 490 items by okto (Search limited from 18-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#30363 Actual Silencer?

Posted by okto on 05 July 2004 - 04:02 AM in Modifications

has anyone toyed with fitting a device to reduce the muzzle noise of any of their nerf weapons? clearly we arent dealing with the explosively hot and superheated gases of a firearm, so different rules apply. would a length of pipe insulation fitted post-muzzle help, or would a larger diameter PVC pipe with some sort of baffle and bleed ports work better? mostly im throwing this out to spark discussion, although im interested in other people's ideas as my LnL wants to be a lot quieter to excel at being a loser pistol.

#30393 Actual Silencer?

Posted by okto on 05 July 2004 - 01:21 PM in Modifications

ive already silenced the piston. circles of neoprene mousepad, stacked several layers thick, glued to the face of the piston. also a strip of backer rod in the channel of the cocking lever and backer rod round the outside of the cylinder.
reduces noise slightly and eliminates rining, but most of my firing noise is still the 'thwop' of the compressed air behind the dart expanding rapidly out of the muzzle.

my first barrel was ported, and had a PVC sleeve around it that was ported as well in an attempt to bleed the air off, but it didnt do a whole lot.
that barrel was 1" long screwed into the stock LnL barrel to fit the OD of micros, so it clearly had other issues. it was a first mod and an attempt to keep the pneumatics as close to their original condition as possible. ive since taken a hacksaw to them.

ice nine, calm. im not a n00b, just new to this particular board. don't worry.
but thank you for the link.

#30467 Actual Silencer?

Posted by okto on 06 July 2004 - 12:07 AM in Modifications

been playing with spiral ported CPVC surrounded by closed-cell pipe insulation, and no reduction in noise. the thought struck me that hey, closed-cell is the same thing darts are made of, so why would thye hold air as darts and then leak is as silencer baffling? (along this same line of thought i made a 'rifle grenade' type dart out of the insulation. goes about ten feet at low velocity, so its a gimmick)
so i tried removing the closed-cell and wrapped a sock around the riddled-with-holes CPVC and fired a couple test shots. slight reduction in noise, but not significant :/
so it comes down to finding a good baffling material, i think. logically it has to work: noise caused by rapid expansion of compressed air out the muzzle can be reduced by contained dissipation and deceleration of said air.

#30582 Actual Silencer?

Posted by okto on 07 July 2004 - 03:50 PM in Modifications

i dont care about the legality of it ^_^
and thanks for the dollar.

so, decelerating air...ive been musing. as the dart leaves the muzzle, the air compressed in the barrel expands rapidly outward, as the tail end of the dart will prevent the majority of it from going forward. probably some turbulence from the compressed air in the dart (i hollow mine out nerf-style), but i think that can be mostly ignored. so venting it outward right at the muzzle should reduce the noise by the greatest factor, rather than setting up a pressure wave down the silencer tube. i drilled as many more holes as i think the CPVC can withstand structurally right at the muzzle, but it still doesnt seem to be having a great effect. i wonder if a stepped series of progressively larger tubes, like so:

vents
       ___  __  _____________________
       |_____________               |PVC tube 2
______|            |PVC tube 1     |
       |            |               |
       | muzzle     |               |
       |            |               |
______|            |               |
       |____________|               |
       |__  __  ____________________|

etc, so that the inner PVC tube's "muzzle" has room around and behind it for air to expand into and be vented out laterally, et caetera ad infinitum. wrap the whole thing in felt or whatever to muffle it even more.
thoughts?

#30584 Actual Silencer?

Posted by okto on 07 July 2004 - 04:06 PM in Modifications

i'll care. i dont want it to impress (in fact in use, i dont even want the gun or myself to be seen), i want to make it quieter, as near silent as possible.
how many of these airsoft silencer lookalikes are actually designed to dissipate muzzle air? ive seen them too, and its usually just a piece of PVC fitted over the barrel. that actually makes the muzzle blast louder. it confines the air to the cylinder formed by the inside of the PVC, and sets up a pressure wave down the tube, pushing the unmoving air in the tube ahead of it, and usually inducing some harmonic resonance in the tube, similarly to a flute only higher pressure and not sustained.

that wasnt supposed to be a flame, hopefully nobody get their toes stepped on. if so, apologies in advance.

#30585 Spin Stabilization?

Posted by okto on 07 July 2004 - 04:09 PM in Modifications

a comment made in my silencer thread about excess friction in the barrel inducing spin got me thinking: how feasible would it be to induce spin in a desirable way to stabilize a projectile in flight, giving longer range and greater accuracy?
discussion, ready go! ^_^

#30586 Low Range On Modded Lnl

Posted by okto on 07 July 2004 - 04:18 PM in Modifications

...and seeing little increase in range. about 30 feet, and im not interested in shooting people's toes. the barrel is a 3" long 3/8" brass nipple (thats what lowes called it, id call it a threaded pipe) screwed into the stump of the LnL's original barrel--a surprisingly tight and sturdy fit--and sealed with hot glue in the threads. ive checked for air leaks--the piston can't even make it to the end of the tube with the muzzle corked. my stefans are 2" long 1/2" FBR, cored out with a straw, with 1/2 a BB fishing weight hotglued to the tip.

#30590 Modded Lnl Pix

Posted by okto on 07 July 2004 - 04:39 PM in Modifications

brass barrel (screwed into stump of stock barrel, hot glue sealed), wood comp-style grip, black paint.
creative development only comes from sharing ideas. like to know what yall think. fire away.

Posted Image
the silencer is real. see the thread here.

Posted Image
detail of the wood grip

Posted Image
sans silencer

Posted Image
other side

#30647 Actual Silencer?

Posted by okto on 07 July 2004 - 11:25 PM in Modifications

how...was it bs?

after more experimentation the answer is BIG hole(s) right at the muzzle, with some dissipative material covering them. this has the unforeseen pleasant side effect of increasing my RoF by allowing my to insert a new dart without removing the entire silencer. this reduces the muzzle noise to more of a soft "thwip", and has made it apparent that my job of silencing the internals wasn't as well done as i thought--most of the noise was actually the piston and spring, the muzzle noise was just the most obvious noise.

#30648 Spin Stabilization?

Posted by okto on 07 July 2004 - 11:27 PM in Modifications

vassili, none of the aforementioned rudeboys is going to deny his calling. oi!

#30650 Modded Lnl Pix

Posted by okto on 07 July 2004 - 11:38 PM in Modifications

a. i have big hands. that grip fits my mitt like a glove. <insert other assorted references to hands or handwear> the main reason for it was that the trigger pull on the stock grip was way too short for my index finger.

b. the bottom bit is a buttplate, the edge of your hand rests on it, providing a more comfortable and secure grip.

b2. the other bottom bit (the rounded part sticking out the rear of the grip) is a palm support. as you hold the gun in your right hand, it fits snugly under the base of your thumb, again increasing both comfort and positive retention of the weapon.

c. the silencer is going to be covered, the design you see ther has been scrubbed in favor of one that actually reduces noise, which will have a matte-black sheath over the internals to match the finish of the rest of the gun.

d. SKANK TO THE DEATH.

#30652 Low Range On Modded Lnl

Posted by okto on 07 July 2004 - 11:45 PM in Modifications

cos a whole weight gives carpy range.

QUOTE (okto @ Jul 7 2004, 04:18 PM)

im interested in a brass nipple

i never said that! ;)

#30653 Some Girl Winked At Me

Posted by okto on 07 July 2004 - 11:49 PM in Modifications

your silencer is floppy *snicker*

silence the internals. dampening on EVERYTHING. neoprene on piston face, if you can get FBR onto the spring that would save a lot of noise, FBR around the cylinder, the barrel, the cocking lever, the trigger...all of it. my LnL, while still noisy, is quieter stuffed full of closed-cell plastic products, and is gonna get quieter still if i can figure out how to silence the spring.

#30654 Nightfinder P-38

Posted by okto on 07 July 2004 - 11:50 PM in Modifications

that's sched 80 PVC. where did you get the PETG?

#30655 Need Help

Posted by okto on 07 July 2004 - 11:56 PM in Modifications

what is krylon fusion's bonding to the plastic like compared to nonamo brand spray paint? in painting computers a couple years ago, i used testor's pactra because it actually bonds chemically with the plastic of the case.

also, are there any truly matte sealants out there? i have not encountered any...

#30656 First Shot Mod

Posted by okto on 07 July 2004 - 11:57 PM in Modifications

cork the end of the barrel or press your finger hard against the muzzle, and dryfire the weapon. does air leak out around the barrel joint?

#30659 Modification of Nerf Blasters; The Price to Pay

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 02:26 AM in Articles

gimme a busted blastfire or two ;)

no but really...do you still have/are you getting rid of them?

#30660 Nerf P90

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 04:34 AM in Homemades

...and will blow holes in the moon. designed as a powerful, but small, accurate weapon for rear-echelon personnel (ammo dump crews, medics, central battlefield comm). designed to be fired slung or from the hip, which explains the funky shape.

anyway, nerf. are you planning to leave it all pipey, or encase it? cos really, the cachet of the p90 is in its one-piece ergonomically molded frame.
also, have you considered battery-powered solenoid valves to give to semi-auto fire? im not sure how this matters in a single-barrel, magazineless weapon, but it would get rid of the awkward dual-sprayer arrangement and give you much more precise bursts of air.

#30661 Feasible Shotgun Concept

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 04:41 AM in Homemades

how are you going to seal between the face of the mag and the breech of the barrel (and the muzzle of the air tank/valve assembly)? there would be massive air leaks here, same effect that makes revolvers generally less powerful/accurate than a clip-magazine based semiauto.

#30662 Feasible Shotgun Concept

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 04:44 AM in Homemades

also...wouldnt the most important thing definig it as a shotgun be the ability to fire a spread of projectiles? side-by-side barrels dont make it a shotgun...they just make it a double-barreled weapon.

#30664 Nerf Illegal?

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 05:17 AM in General Nerf

kids arrested for nerfing

#30666 Feasible Shotgun Concept

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 05:21 AM in Homemades

meh, im less than unworried about flames. remember kids, you are often thousands of miles from the guy typing angry bytes at you ;)

gotcha. so, sort of a "hey, how are ya, here's 20 micros to snack on" kinda weapon?

#30668 Actual Silencer?

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 05:27 AM in Modifications

maybe your gun, has infact, reached its most silent form *DUN-DUN-DUHHHNNNN*

nooooo! it needs to be quieter!

anyway, as it stands i have a 6" length of 1/2" CPVC, with a 2.5" x 3/4" slot cut in right at the muzzle, and a piece of pipe insulation over the lot. from holding the gun and firing it, all i her is spring noise, no pop.
so next step is i'm replacing the piston and cocking lever with something stronger, to minimize breakage (and allow me to adopt a design more suited to silencing), reinforce the spring retention wall, get a bigger spring, and rebarrel.

so basically, the totally unnecessary portion is done, and now i only have to do all the important bits ;)

#30670 Modded Lnl Pix

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 05:32 AM in Modifications

*grin* again, i intend not to be seen with it. ive already survived one month of constant nerf war unharmed and mostly undetected--we play a game called "mafia" at skool, two opposing families, a few unkillable "storyline" players, hits ordered, and everyone carrying concealed weapons. its great, totally different dynamic from a typical nerf war cos its 24/7, except classes and church, and you never know exactly who is after you.

#30672 Actual Silencer?

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 05:35 AM in Modifications

you *could* use a night finder or sharpshooter or something...barrel replacement is pretty much run-of-the-mill for any given gun, with a few quirks, and you know about a working silencer design, so just find a gun with minimal piston clang and mod away.

#30674 Feasible Shotgun Concept

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 05:41 AM in Homemades

have you ever used a sawtooth? cos it works on mostly the same design. its a piston gun, not a tanker, and it uses the magazine clip as the barrels, but other than that, same deal. it has a rubber tube-y thing that seals against each chamber as it cycles through, and even unmodded i remember it being decent. it got thrown away tho...stupid :/

#30676 Actual Silencer?

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 05:45 AM in Modifications

yup! :) minimalism at its finest.

#30679 Feasible Shotgun Concept

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 06:03 AM in Homemades

dont sell nerf down under?

#30752 Actual Silencer?

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 10:23 PM in Modifications

a nerf gun doesnt have a motor. im not following your point (including your previous post)

#30753 Nightfinder P-38

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 10:25 PM in Modifications

chryso...you dont have to look at it. youre on the internet, not with the person, and your web browser is in fact closeable.

is ice nine on this board?

#30754 Low Range On Modded Lnl

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 10:28 PM in Modifications

why is the 1/2"/3" design better? this is the smae design nerf uses on most of their dart guns...whats the advantage or duplicating nerf's existing design in brass/PVC/PETG?

#30757 Nerf P90

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 10:32 PM in Homemades

papier mache, epoxy, wood, theres no end to the meterials you could use ^_^
i would use wood, the basswood or birch or whatever you can find in 3" wide bits in almost any craft/hobby store.

#30763 Laser Sniper?

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 11:09 PM in Modifications

an NF is quite a bit thicker/taller than a G17/18/19. plus the glock holster isnt going to account for the underhanging light sight, and definitely wont fit the ammo holders.

#30764 Rf20 System Mod?

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 11:15 PM in Modifications

i have searched here and online and found no evidence of RF20's being modded for range or accuracy, only to restructure the case (which i quite like the design of). i just picked up one at a thrift sotre for $2 that only needed a new pump o-ring, and id like to give it a little extra kick (not that the noise and rain of backer od isnt enough). barreling it would be a chore, but would it be worth it in a gun that has a neopren-pressed-against-plastic seal in the firing system?
should i go ahead and knock out the regulator spikes, is there anything to lose in doing that?

#30766 Actual Silencer?

Posted by okto on 08 July 2004 - 11:27 PM in Modifications

ah, gotcha. range, probably within 30 feet, but the idea is to conceal oneself, then have a weapon that is quiet enough to not reveal your position.
in this particular case the internals are still too loud to make the silencer an effective component, but it does work; the muzzle blast is no longer audible (and it was pretty loud)

#30784 Rf20 System Mod?

Posted by okto on 09 July 2004 - 03:15 AM in Modifications

thanks. what reliability issues does it have?

#30785 Actual Silencer?

Posted by okto on 09 July 2004 - 03:19 AM in Modifications

yeah, yeah, as soon as i find my mic. which pile is it in...

#30786 Laser Sniper?

Posted by okto on 09 July 2004 - 03:26 AM in Modifications

hm...well try it, the only way to know is to try to cram one in the holster
personal note: i think the cut-down 'luger-esque' NF's are ugly as sin. give me a good rectangular, flat-fronted gun anyday. stronger, too.

#30787 Nerf P-99

Posted by okto on 09 July 2004 - 04:35 AM in Modifications

yeah...a realistic looking/sizing walther p99 gun? i must have it. ive wanted a p99 since i was like...13.

#30812 Rf20 System Mod?

Posted by okto on 09 July 2004 - 03:11 PM in Modifications

bobert, dont know if you noticed but your last post rhymed. quite nicely, too.

im not banding my freaking gun. not this one, not any of them. none of the parts were meant to take the additional lateral stress and thye will break.

bladder mod...hm. if the interconnecting tubes pop or come off, its not that big a deal since they all have threaded compression fittings, and its standard clear tubing. i wonder if the fittings would need to be upgraded to deal with the higher pressure.