Y-Brik's Content

There have been 145 items by Y-Brik (Search limited from 22-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#319067 Retaliator/Recon Pump Grip (write up included)

Posted by Y-Brik on 23 July 2012 - 11:44 PM in Modifications

That is awesome. I like how compact it still is, and how it has the light and red dot. It makes the alpha troop look kind of useless at that point.

Close, but there's also something to be said for original design. Jams did occur, I ended up selling this and getting a Raider when I realized that's what I was basically building (The AT wasn't out yet, and quite frankly I hate the ergonomics of it)

Perfect? No. Useful and fun? Definitely.

#318133 Retaliator/Recon Pump Grip (write up included)

Posted by Y-Brik on 07 July 2012 - 12:33 PM in Modifications

If you have a spare Recon shell (and who doesn't with the PTs breaking all the time), this method works out well. Use coathanger wire to link the slides, and a tac rail bracket to affix the pump to the barrel
Posted Image
More pix here

#292319 Nerf Dart Tag Quick 16

Posted by Y-Brik on 06 January 2011 - 12:32 AM in General Nerf

My Raider just dropped a few notches on the totem pole...
I absolutely love this new clip system- high ROF, we get taggers back, and you dont need to yank a clunky mag out of your blaster to reload (or, worse, haul a million of said clunky mags to keep reload times as low as possible). I'm 100% sure BOTH blasters are REVERSE PLUNGERS (big suprise), but I dont care. The Q16 is going to be the ultimate contender in indoor wars to date.

#295890 Awno 2.5 - War On The 26th Of March.

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 March 2011 - 04:06 PM in Nerf Wars

OOH OOH OOOH! War! I'm in, possiblyy with guests. Noodle wantsa carpool?

#296484 Awno 2.5 - War On The 26th Of March.

Posted by Y-Brik on 23 March 2011 - 10:20 AM in Nerf Wars

Looks like Cheerios fell through; Im still wheedling the powers that be to let me go. If I make it I'll be bringing at least 1 friend.
EDIT- I have the green light! I'm a definite with at least 1 friend, checking around to see if more want to go. I'm low on darts though...

#295919 Awno 2.5 - War On The 26th Of March.

Posted by Y-Brik on 13 March 2011 - 12:14 AM in Nerf Wars

Ybrik what about me? I'm a maybe as of now.

Sure, long as you don't mind chipping in for gas.

EDIT: I can probably cram another nerfer or 2 in the car; put me down as definite/likely + guest(s)

#301936 SNAP Carbine mk2

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 July 2011 - 11:19 PM in Homemades

In English, improvement does not mean perfection. However I dont know if that remains the same in whatever language you speak.

I don't need to order a 5 dollar part off mcmaster to get a perfect seal when a $1.10 worth of materials gets me the same seal. And if it starts to fail, I can open up the blaster, replace the tape and the o-ring, and re-lube it and have it ready for the next round. I'm not making a fucking military grade weapon.

As I recall, a modern washer sandwich plunger head a la Superlative, Preemptive, etc. cost around $2.50, are locally sourced, easier to make, more reliable, and provide a 100% air seal if done right. Why are we running back to reinvent the wheel when it comes to Snaps?

That said, well done on the writeup. I think the carbine is an excellent super-easy-to-make homemade for the newbies and a great shits&giggles blaster for the rest of us. But that is all it is.

#290737 Nerf Style Grenade Launcher?

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 December 2010 - 05:39 PM in General Nerf

so i was watching icarly and in the titles theres a clip of video with sam holding a a orange mgl it looks like thisgrenade pic can anyone identify it? I've looked in the blaster identification pinned topic and can't find it.

You saw that on Icarly?
:huh:

Dude, there's a pretty descriptive youtube link that shows it in the show. Oh, and to all of you who have survived this long without having heard of iCarly, I envy you.

#297406 MANO 4

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 April 2011 - 03:08 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll see what I can do- Are we nerfing in the new location? If all works out, I'll likely have at least 1 friend going.

#280117 Lanard Shotgun Problem

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 July 2010 - 11:25 PM in Modifications

I would like to mention that I have had a similar problem on my own shotgun (Airzone variant actually; singled), as well as my friend's (Also Airzone; turreted). In both cases the catch, even reinforced with both BW's mod and an additional catch spring added (From the LS stock I believe) the catch was unable to hold anything more powerful than a 1gen LS spring (even less than the stock spring for the shotgun!)

#294793 Pistol Splat Spring Replacement

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 February 2011 - 09:08 PM in Modifications

I don't know, the nut looks elegant enough to me. I always hated a stack of more than 3 washers as spacers for anything- always a pain to keep together. Using a nut means Venom has a 1-piece spring rest, not a spring rest and several washers.

#298420 Grenade Launcher

Posted by Y-Brik on 22 May 2011 - 09:28 PM in Homemades

Cool story bro. FYI, we like pics over a wall of text.
EDIT: missed the 'PS'

#297318 A new style Pump-action SNAP

Posted by Y-Brik on 19 April 2011 - 04:22 PM in Homemades

Beautiful. May I ask where you happened to find 1 and 1/2" thinwall pvc? If I can get my hands on some of that, I will have to make one of these.

I got mine at Do It Best; they have online ordering with free shipping to your nearest store- go here. It's $4-ish for 10' with no shipping hassles or driving to numerous Ace's to search for the stuff.

#294750 Pistol Splat Spring Replacement

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 February 2011 - 09:02 AM in Modifications

A whole 0' so far- he said in the post that his tests were dry-fired, and do you see a barrel anywhere?

#282391 Chano 3.5

Posted by Y-Brik on 07 August 2010 - 11:22 AM in Nerf Wars

Gonna check my work schedule today (it's too short notice to request off so here's hoping I get lucky!), and if the stars align I'm totally there, possibly with 1-3 friends!
EDIT: Go figure, the one day that week I work is smack in the middle of the war. So it looks like I'm out for the 14th. 21st anyone?

#291476 Ls Bolt,stuck

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 December 2010 - 02:08 AM in Modifications

Pictures are nice, as are more specific descriptions of what's wrong (and like Phree said- what state is the blaster in). Are you saying the LS won't catch when you pull the priming handle all the way back?

#291523 Ls Bolt,stuck

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 December 2010 - 10:57 PM in Modifications

See, this is the problem I kept running into. I added a 1 1/4" washer to the front of the plunger head (Swapped out the screw too). Cuts down on plunger volume by a hair (moot with a stock breech), but is a great quick fix!

#296387 Brocken Ls Plunger Tube

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 March 2011 - 09:22 PM in Modifications

I can sell you a LS PT; PM me

#300531 JSPB (3DBBQ/Taiwan-style) darts?

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 June 2011 - 11:07 PM in Darts and Barrels

I would also throw in Teflon tape for consideration. That should translate to less friction, but that is purely guess work.

You sir have never used Teflon Tape- 'tape' is used strongly with this stuff, it shreds like wet toilet paper and has no adhesion. Etape or PVC tape , if you look at the darts have a smaller final OD than the foam of the dart- no contact with the barrel means no friction already.
Meanwhile, I'm detecting a potential winner for the 'new dart' challenge- I love the concept of wrapping the weight around the outside of the dart instead of slapping it right on the intended contact point. Will watch this thread carefully....

#305791 Need help locating where I can get a spring for the Bullet Guard for t

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 October 2011 - 08:50 PM in Modifications

Ace #2 or 3 should be good. Take the dart tooth in and test fit, then cut it to the right size.

Ace # 2 is WAY too strong!
Gut a clicky pen, try to find a fatter pen so the spring is larger, then shave down the '+' under the dart tooth until it fits.
Also, firing bullets out of a Nerf gun never works. Everything here is made to shoot darts.

#303125 Ammo counter

Posted by Y-Brik on 09 August 2011 - 07:21 PM in Modifications

This would be so much fun, but I think it'd be much more cost effective if it was worked out in Medium-scale integration instead of on a pricey microcontroller. Excellent work putting more electronics into nerf than just lights and lazors!

#291471 Merry Christmas!

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 December 2010 - 01:07 AM in Off Topic

Jeez, can nobody spell...
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

#303441 Ammo counter

Posted by Y-Brik on 17 August 2011 - 01:19 AM in Modifications

On the topic of micro controllers, Texas Instruments is selling its launchpad microcontroller with interface and IDE for $4.30! The controller is a 14 pin Dual Inline Package (Read- can fit in a AA battery), C-programmable, and looks to be great for our low-power, low-skill, low-cost application.
//Slight off-topic- TI also makes a programmable, wireless watch with accelerometers. Could this be used in a high-tech nerf gun? Possibly, probably not, but it's cool.

#286152 Pull-back To Pump-action Conversion - Snap

Posted by Y-Brik on 27 September 2010 - 05:17 PM in Homemades

Thanks durka.

I'm a little perplexed over the apparent lack of interest in this, especially from the more experienced SNAP builders, but whatever.

Maybe they don't like wood.

Naah, that's an east coast thing. I do like this setup, just waiting to see it come to fruition. Oh and Fome, all your shit is so BA it intimidates the rest of us. We're used to plastic, not so much woodcrafting.

#283689 Hvz Next Gun

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 August 2010 - 06:18 PM in General Nerf

Given the need for quick reload in HvZ, I would recommend the shell-less Barrel Break over the Doubleshot, and the AR and raider over both. If you go clip system, try to keep is consistent so you can swap mags when needed.

#294581 Barrel Material For Stock Micros

Posted by Y-Brik on 16 February 2011 - 06:14 PM in Modifications

Would it be best to leave the stock barrel in a Nite-Finder or replace it with some other material?
I have CPVC and PVC to replace it with, as well as a drill to bore out pipes if need be.

CPVC it. If you don't know how, check out our fantastic mods directory. End of story.

#294600 Barrel Material For Stock Micros

Posted by Y-Brik on 16 February 2011 - 10:37 PM in Modifications

Don't bother, if you're shooting stock ammo just chamfer the edge. I use the serrated edge on my pocket knife to give a smooth curve, or a Dremel, or an X-acto. You want a tight-ish fit for springers, remember.

#303008 Project: SPARK

Posted by Y-Brik on 08 August 2011 - 02:35 PM in Modifications

4. If you made a HUGE diameter homemade pump and replaced the old one, I think pumping wouldn't be some much of a challenge. I'd use 1 1/2" to 2" pvc, then use Venom's plunger head design. I integrated that onto a SNAP, and it had an almost perfect seal with a little teflon tape on it. The entire gun was retired because the trigger didn't work.

Have fun bringing such a large diameter pump up to pressure- remember pressure is measured in pounds per square inch- to work a greater diamerter pump up to the same PSI you need to pump MUCH harder. That said, a Schraeder valve on the hard tank and an upright bike pump in the staging area may be worth exploring.

#287700 Rainbowpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 30 October 2010 - 05:22 PM in Homemades

@ Y-brik: That may work, I don't know. Seems a bit over-complicated. Try it and see if it works.

Here's the thing- I don't have a RainBow at the moment and wont be building one soon. I can tinker with it on my +bow, but it wont be as useful. Oh, and how is it overcomplicated? It's a nylon cord and extension spring anchored within the tee that makes the stock.

#295188 High Volume Springer, Easy To Make And Cheap Version Of +bows And Snap

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 March 2011 - 11:34 AM in Modifications

I like the use of aluminum U-channel for the plunger rod, though I have a sinking suspicion that what works in metric won't work in Imperial. Worth looking though. As for the rest of the plunger, props for creativity but I think buying a slab of 1.25" PVC with the appropriate bushing will end up cheaper than gutting an $8-10 ballpump.

EDIT: I've been doing too many homemades lately, Jaybo's right to use 1" thinwall or PETG. Nerfgeek, don't forget the U-channel ($8-ish) and spring in your costs tally. And try Petco for your PETG.

#288365 New Nerf Gun

Posted by Y-Brik on 13 November 2010 - 05:30 PM in News

Wasn't NH told that we would be the first place to debut nerf news, even before fb? what happened there? We're living up to our end of the deal as far as Im seeing, am I wrong?
Oh yeah, and cool blaster for a flywheel gun.
EDIT: I can't read- the email says we plan on posting this on fb later today. nevermind.

#287798 Rainbowpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 November 2010 - 09:56 PM in Homemades

I did this to my PAC, which admittedly was already dry-fireable. However, the string hitting the slot does appear to cause wear on the string, which doesn't happen anymore. Also, it's even quieter than it was before--The catch falling into place sounds thunderously loud compared to actually firing.
[Pic]
Note the glare is not another string.

So,

1) Make a hole in one side of your stock / frame / shell,
2) Put a string through the hole from 1)
3) Put a hole in the plunger rod
4) Put put the string through the hole from 3)
5) Put a hole on the other side of your stock / frame / shell
6) Put the string through the hole from 5)
7) Tie knots on both sides of the string, outside of holes 1) and 5)
8) Tape over/cover up the loose string if you like.

The impact / shock of the plunger losing it's momentum is now taken symmetrically by the tensile strength of the string and the plunger rod.

This should work on most pump action blasters, and probably a few others. It's nice to use the tensile rather than compressive strength of the material to take the load, because tensile strength is vastly greater for most materials.

Thanks for giving it a shot Kane! Yeah, my little trials with my +bow ruled out the extension spring in about 30 seconds, I do agree with all the rather colorfully worded opinions on that front (in my defense, I used it to limit stress on the nylon rod- I'm anything but experienced with them. Given Kane seems to be doing just fine with an unbuffered string, I guess the whole thing was moot anyway.). My attempt with the bolt was to make the entire mech internal to maintain the aesthetics of the RBP, but function seems to outweigh form here.

So yeah, Kane rocks.

#287640 Rainbowpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 29 October 2010 - 10:14 AM in Homemades

I may have a solution to the dry fire issue (Hint- extension springs and nylon cord). I' m sketching it out now and will try to get it up by tomorrow. Ryan, that blaster is mad sexy, I may have to get one (Discount if this idea works?)!

#287652 Rainbowpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 29 October 2010 - 04:14 PM in Homemades

@Talio- judging that the PT is 1.25" with a [k26] and skirt seal, +bow or, more accurately, SNAP ranges are the likely result. This design is just sexier, higher RoF, and more durable than a traditional CPT SNAP.

My idea: I've come to the conclusion that plunger head padding sucks. It jams, introduces deadspace, and the material always gets smashed into uselessness. So if slowing the PH down from the front fails, how about from the back? The Rainbowpump has a great platform as the plunger rod is encased in PVC and has a VERY sturdy stock, so on to my sketch. (This was done in my Engineering class, hence the formality, and in hand, hence the shitty drawing/handwriting. Now, let's see if I can post pictures...)
Posted Image

The goal is to stop the PH a fraction of an inch before the bushing. The nylon cord allows full plunger velocity along the draw, then the (beefy) extension spring+cord slows and stops the PH. At the moment, the biggest issue I see is the stress put on the nylon plunger rod, I don't know if it can hold. Still, I trust Ryan and co. have enough time, materials, and skill to try it out- good luck!
This is an initial idea, keep the questions and ideas coming!

#324859 Dremel Recommendations

Posted by Y-Brik on 28 December 2012 - 11:58 PM in Modifications

I use This One, which I got at Target for ~$30. It's served me well for years. Totally compatible with all Dremel brand stuff.

#294824 Dekalb Area War Of Nerf, July 23rd

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 February 2011 - 01:12 PM in Nerf Wars

Hooray for wars! I'm in as a likely

#295855 Longstrike Marker Barrel Replacement

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 March 2011 - 12:26 AM in Modifications

Unique mod, I suggest solvent welding the narrower 'tip' portion of the marker into the breech if you try again.
Writeup...needs a bit of love, you completely skipped the 'mounting the breech to the boltsled' question.
Friendly advice-Don't make excuses in writeups, your work will either speak for itself or you'll deserve it. Oh, and nobody uses polls.
So good, but with room for improvement.

#295884 Longstrike Marker Barrel Replacement

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 March 2011 - 02:11 PM in Modifications

Bullshit. Don't post angled ranges, they mean nothing. There's no way a stock-springed ReClone, rebarreled or not, would hit that range flat.

#291272 Hopper Clip For Stock Tagger Darts

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 December 2010 - 01:19 AM in Darts and Barrels

Found 'em at Loews next to the grey conduit PVC (go figure) in the electrical aisle for about $0.80 each. Kinda expensive as fittings go, but useful. They make great choppers too.

EDIT-oops, I thought we were talking about the other exotic part. Yeah, haven't seen any purple PVC at Loews....

#298557 Rolling breech

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 May 2011 - 12:04 AM in Darts and Barrels

Increasing the diameter of the 2 pieces of brass making the seal should increase the relative surface area avalible
Posted Image
If we glue the 17/32" barrel into a stub of 9/16" into which the dart can drop, and sheath that in 5/8", in theory we can have it seal, use the minimum sized slot and still seal...somewhat.

Are we looking to use Nstrike clips? if this thing can gravity-feed, why not use it as a hopper clip a la Quick16 (Drop darts in and move on)