Photo

Pistol Splat Spring Replacement

17 replies to this topic

#1 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

There's been much discussion on the topic of which of the Pistol Splat variants have the strongest spring. There are so many different versions of this one blaster, it has become difficult for me to keep track of all of them. Replacing the spring, will make any of the variants on par with the "strongest" versions.

Here's the industrial spring (bottom) with the stock spring from a Blizzard variant (top). Ace Hardware #199. It is very similar in size, immensely stronger though.

Posted Image

The problem is that the spring has a smaller ID than the stock spring, so it doesn't fit over the stock spring rest. One could simply modify the stock spring rest to fit the spring, but I decided to make one entirely from scratch.

I measured the base of the spring rest. It's a 13/16" by 13/16" Square.

Posted Image

I marked a piece of hobby aluminum sheet (available at Ace) with the measurements. I also marked for a centered hole using diagonals.

Posted Image

I drilled a pilot hole in the center I marked.

Posted Image

I drilled a hole for a 1/4-20 Machine Screw using the pilot hole. The bit was a 7/32" one. Next, I tapped the hole with a 1/4-20" tapping bit.

Posted Image

I cut out the square with a precision hacksaw. I used a dremel at first, but the hacksaw is a lot easier to control and smoother.

Posted Image

Once it was cut out I used a bench grinder and some files to smooth out the square.

Posted Image

I made sure to test fit it in the shell as I went.

Posted Image

I cut some 1/4-20" Threaded rod as long as the stock spring rest. I didn't see any reason to make it shorter or longer. I then threaded a nut onto the rod and threaded the rod into the AL just bit.

Posted Image

I put everything back in the shell.

Posted Image

It primes just fine, with a harder draw of course. I've primed and fired it ~30 times (they were all dry fires, so I kept it to a minimum) and everything has held up fine. The one problem was that the rod came loosened out from the AL square over time since it hardly threads in. My solution was to dremel both sides of the shell behind the spring rest to make room for an additional nut. This keeps it together much better. If I have problems I with the nuts loosening still, I will switch to lock nuts or use thread locker to insure they stay in place.

Posted Image

If anyone is interested in buying one of these spring rests and/or an Ace #199 spring, PM me.

Edited by venom213, 31 March 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#2 blitz

blitz

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

That's really, really cool.
Blitz, member of the FNBS
"sexual innuendo no intendo"

#3 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

I couldn't get this done a while back, and you pulled off seamlessly. Nicely done.
Teehee.

#4 thedom21

thedom21

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

I have two words good sir........Thank You!
Funny Irc moments

22:32 hookerninja I would just switch to 2 full 69's
22:32 hookerninja that would diddle shit

11:44 Zorn Her butt is too tiny even for limp 6th grade penis?
11:44 Zorn ergo the dildo

#5 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

Doesn't this also make tension adjustable? Since you can adjust the placement of the nuts with spacers. I think for that reason, this would be a handy mod to do, even without the replacement spring.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#6 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

Doesn't this also make tension adjustable? Since you can adjust the placement of the nuts with spacers. I think for that reason, this would be a handy mod to do, even without the replacement spring.

Yes, that's another feature of this mod. I tried using two nuts on the front part of the rest so the spring wouldn't have as much room to move around. It seemed to make the blaster much harder to prime with just that one extra nut. I plan on doing some more testing.

#7 GeshmanWG

GeshmanWG

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:30 AM

How much of an improvement have you seen in ranges?

#8 Y-Brik

Y-Brik

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:02 AM

A whole 0' so far- he said in the post that his tests were dry-fired, and do you see a barrel anywhere?

As I said I have not not alot of testes yet but I will be once I finish the mod.

Why I am boycotting Hasbro

#9 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

Y-Brik is correct. I'm working to have it barrel modded within a few days, I'll let you guys know.

Edited by venom213, 20 February 2011 - 09:55 AM.

#10 archangel24

archangel24

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to try to find some washers to take up space to adjust the tension instead of using two nuts?
QUOTE(Talio @ Oct 14 2010, 10:37 PM) View Post

I would much perfer a game that's free of KY. I like it rough. Right, Vacc?

"She went all Ghetto Fab on you."

#11 Y-Brik

Y-Brik

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

I don't know, the nut looks elegant enough to me. I always hated a stack of more than 3 washers as spacers for anything- always a pain to keep together. Using a nut means Venom has a 1-piece spring rest, not a spring rest and several washers.

As I said I have not not alot of testes yet but I will be once I finish the mod.

Why I am boycotting Hasbro

#12 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:05 AM

I went back to Ace recently to get more of these springs. Turns out, the number is actually #199. When I purchased the first one, it was in the #101 bin for some reason. I confirmed the number by using the display board to match it:
Posted Image

I have yet to add a barrel to this thing and test it. That is still a top priority though.

Edited by venom213, 27 February 2011 - 12:07 AM.

#13 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:09 AM

Did you keep the braking spring in?

Edited by KaneTheMediocre, 27 February 2011 - 02:10 AM.

RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#14 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:12 AM

I just got back from my Ace. they don't carry that, and said they won't special order it for me. Help a brutha?
Fugly is a feature.

#15 Inferno Falcon

Inferno Falcon

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:34 AM

I just got back from my Ace. they don't carry that, and said they won't special order it for me. Help a brutha?

I'm in the same boat as Taer.

#16 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

Very cool. My black and Silver Pistol Splat PS-800 is ridiculously powerful. Of the few varieties that I have seen in person, the silver and black is the most powerful. I may have to do this mod on my red and yellow wipeout. thanks

#17 archangel24

archangel24

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:29 PM

How stable is the part behind the spring rest with the screw port? To me, it seems a bit concerning. Are there any noticeable stress fractures or whatnot around it?
QUOTE(Talio @ Oct 14 2010, 10:37 PM) View Post

I would much perfer a game that's free of KY. I like it rough. Right, Vacc?

"She went all Ghetto Fab on you."

#18 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

Kane: I took it out and I have no idea what happened to it.

Kitty/Inferno: I'll shoot you guys a PM soon.

Archangel: Everything seems fine to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users