Ice Nine's Content

There have been 1000 items by Ice Nine (Search limited from 06-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#26664 Constricted Petg

Posted by Ice Nine on 21 May 2004 - 08:13 AM in Modifications

Jeez, Thirst, he was just showing us a new idea. What if we have PETG, but no brass handy, like me? What if your darts don't fucking FIT in CPVC, like mine?

Great job, Vassili. I'm gonna try it on my NF when I get one.

#26566 Halo 2

Posted by Ice Nine on 19 May 2004 - 05:22 PM in Off Topic

At one point I was thinking...what if Halo 2 just completely sucked? The controls were horrible and the graphics were so much that the XBox just couldn't handle it and lagged all the time so you could barely play. What if the storyline was horrible and had no depth, and put you to sleep for hours. Then I thought about the Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup...no chance in hell.

My thoughts, except without the hockey.

How much can Halo 2 improve on, really? How much better can they make the AI, while still keeping the games great learning curve?

How much can they improve the vehicles, which all have strengths, weaknesses, and are useful at some point or another, before making a "super vehicle?"

How much can they improve the weapons, which also had strengths, weaknesses, and usefulness, without making a "super gun?"

How much can they improve graphics without it lagging, and glitching? How much can Live play offer?

Will Killzone really be the PlayStations answer to Microsoft's Halo 2?

As you could have guessed, I don't have an Xbox.

#26301 Chemical Reactions

Posted by Ice Nine on 16 May 2004 - 09:53 AM in Homemades

It would be cool if you made it out of clear pvc. That way its more of a science experiment gun, where you can see the reaction take place. You could get major credit in your science class for that.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. It would be very cool, because you could test which amounts work the best.

This is DEFINATELY something that would get credit for my science class, and god knows I need it. It'll help my 107%.

#26284 Chemical Reactions

Posted by Ice Nine on 15 May 2004 - 10:41 PM in Homemades

I finished the Chem Rifle, Mark Three.

Posted Image

The first of the two sections of 6" long PVC is for vinegar; the second one is for the baking soda. The endcaps come of for easy refilling.

#26234 Chemical Reactions

Posted by Ice Nine on 15 May 2004 - 09:39 AM in Homemades

Okay, I got all the results, but they may be a little skewed because I had to shoot it uphill.

On average, with about 5 (heaping) tablespoons of each, I got 51 feet and 5 inches. I did a mean of 10, and I used the same dart everytime, along with the same kind of vinegar (white) and same baking soda. I'm sure that I lost some distance because the best way to do it was take off the barrel, open the valve, pour in the vinegar, close the valve, put the barrel back on, put the baking soda in the barrel, open the valve, shove the baking soda down it, close the valve, insert dart, shake to get all the reactents workin', and fire. I think I lost distance because I had to leave the ball valve open for a little longer then I wanted to, so I could get all of the baking soda into the tank.

I'm sure that with the gun BoltMasterZero posted designs for (and a few of my changes), I can get a good RoF, with fairly good range.

#26219 Ufo's In Mexico

Posted by Ice Nine on 14 May 2004 - 10:47 PM in Off Topic

Life on Mars is possible in a few hundred years, but what about the new planet Quaoar? We haven't even known about this planet being in our solar system. That could be a good hiding place...

Yeah, everyone wants to live on an airless oversized asteroid in an orbit that makes Sol look like any other relatively bright star.

I'd rather go mine the belt and avoid the whole planet thing altogether. If anyone on earth tried to fuck with me I'd just throw a rock at them. Orbital velocity makes for a nasty weapon.

Does anyone read Discover Magazine? I do!

<nerd alert!>

They had an entire article on a possible 10th. planet called Nemesis. The theory behind Nemesis is that it is a brown dwarf star, cruisin' around our sun through all the planet crap like Quaoar, and sending killer metiorites at us.

Remember the extinction of the dinosaurs? That was conincidental with the movement of the supposed Nemesis through the Oort Cloud, which is a giant mass of Quaoar-like objects, 'cept bigger.

</nerd alert!>

I'm only saying what I remember from the article, not any bullshit that pops into my head.

#26116 Ufo's In Mexico

Posted by Ice Nine on 13 May 2004 - 07:28 PM in Off Topic

Sure, I believe in aliens. But not UFOs.

I think Cx put it best. Why make contact like this if they don't have a reason?

Something I enjoy doing is finding logical explanations for UFOs. True, some of 'em I can't explain, but right now, one really sticks in my head.

Remember that Roswell crash, with the "men in black?" I looked at that. I did some research about military work in that period of time. Turns out that the military had been developing a brand new, high tech nuclear bomber that could drop one on the Soviet Union. The typical stereotype that people saw was lifting straight up in the air, firing its thrusters, and boosting away. The way the bomber launced was a big hot-air balloon lifted it up, then the plane hit the gas, and shot away.

The thing that really gave the crash away as a military aircraft was the design. The plane had a very peculiar design: The entire fuselage was made from honeycombed metal. At Popular Science, they had a picture of a piece of the crashed "UFO" material, and a prototype design of the aircraft. The way that they chunck looked was equivilent to the cross-section of the plane in the blueprint.

There is not way in hell that I can explain 'em all, but, I can do a few, if I try.

#26086 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Ice Nine on 13 May 2004 - 05:12 PM in Nerf Wars

Oh, and Spanky lives about twenty minutes away from me as well, so maybe I can get him to come, too.

I think three is my dad's maximum haul, Grinch. Sorry.

I have about a 75% chance of coming, and I talked to Mr. Bobert'd dad, who said he could come.

Haha, no, I meant I could talk him into coming. I mean, he's eighteen, he should be able to drive.

Well, that changes lots.

#26049 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Ice Nine on 13 May 2004 - 08:27 AM in Nerf Wars

Oh, and Spanky lives about twenty minutes away from me as well, so maybe I can get him to come, too.

I think three is my dad's maximum haul, Grinch. Sorry.

I have about a 75% chance of coming, and I talked to Mr. Bobert'd dad, who said he could come.

#26048 Time

Posted by Ice Nine on 13 May 2004 - 08:11 AM in Off Topic

The way that Hawkings envisioned the universe is the same way the Earth looks. The Big Bang was the beginning, or the equivilent of the south pole, and the universe expanded/is expanding until it couldn't/can't expand anymore, which is the equivilent of the equator. Then, The universe will contract, all the way to the point where it's the same size as the thing that caused the Big Bang. Then, this will probably explode, causing what I just described to repeat itself.

It probably won't mean that everything that's going on now will also be going on at the time equivilent to now, but something very close to it. Lets just hope that Hasbro will still make easily-moddified toy guns.

Note: The first paragraph is my interpritation of the only thing that I remember from Hawking's book, which name escapes me. I only skimmed through it, looking at some of the pages, and this was the only part which I actually read.

Don't be suprised if I got something wrong/missed some points.

<edit> The reason that I think this fit in with the current conversation was because the theory is saying that we will exist on an alternate Earth, hundreds of millions of billions of trillions, etc., away from now. I personally don't believe in alternate Earths, in different dimensions or parts of the universe, but it is cool to think about. </edit>

#25965 Chemical Reactions

Posted by Ice Nine on 12 May 2004 - 06:09 PM in Homemades

Yeah, that was the entire purpose of the second design. The ball valves regulate the mixing of the chemicals in the "mixing chamber," while I can only put in a little and conserve the rest for many more weak shots, or mix it all and have a powerful one.

I load the vinegar and baking soda into the first one by:
1.) Load baking soda.
2.) Close ball valve.
3.) Fill barrel with vinegar.
4.) Open valve and allow the vinegar to go into the mixing area.
5.) Shake.
6.) Load dart.
7.) Open valve to fire.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

#25963 Chemical Reactions

Posted by Ice Nine on 12 May 2004 - 05:54 PM in Homemades

Got the pictures. The second one is the next design. The gray shaded stuff is PVC Sch. 80. I'm sure you can figure out the other things.
Posted Image

Posted Image[/img]

Darn. The pictures are too big. Again.

#25888 Chemical Reactions

Posted by Ice Nine on 11 May 2004 - 06:58 PM in Homemades

I must say that vineger and baking soda do not produce much preassure but whatever.

You'd be suprised. I only need about three spoonfuls of each to shoot a cork, stuffed tightly in a 12 oz. bottle, to shoot the cork 30 feet in the air.

I figured that a little more vineagar and a little more baking soda, combined with a smaller area, will create a lot of pressure, enough to send the dart at least 50 feet.

#25882 Chemical Reactions

Posted by Ice Nine on 11 May 2004 - 06:20 PM in Homemades

Today, during math, I was thinking about homemades. I was thinking about how they're powered, which I concluded is air (duh). We have a few different ways of getting the air that pushes the dart, like spring and pump. Some people have used combustion and CO2.

But what about other kinds of chemical reactions, like acids + bases?

So when I got home, I sketched out a design for a chemical reaction powered pistol. In this case, the reactors are vinegar and baking soda, which I could easily obtain. I built one really simple design, but didn't glue it, and used too much of each kind of reactent, and it leaked air.

But the second version is drying in front of me.

Any ideas, questions, or comments? I'll post pictures and ranges and results when its dry.

#25810 Nerf In The News

Posted by Ice Nine on 10 May 2004 - 08:32 PM in General Nerf

The game lasts usually one week. Your goal is to assassinate the person whose name you drew. If you succeed, you take the name he holds, making that person your next victim. Gameplay eventually boils down to 2 players who fight for the win.

What if the person you kill has your name, and there are more then two people left?

Do you kill yourself?

Or sit around, waiting for someone else to walk by?

#25801 Time

Posted by Ice Nine on 10 May 2004 - 07:00 PM in Off Topic

If it even approached black hole density, it would suck in the entire compressor machine, wouldn't it?

Not if there were other black hoes pulling on the machines, negating the force of the one being created!!!!1!!11!one!1!

</kidding> Yeah. I see what you're getting at, but I think that they're just looking at ways that it MAY be possible. It's not like "We said so, we're right, fuck off."

<edit>

When Karl Schwarzschild solved Einstein's equations in 1917, he found that stars can collapse into infinitesimally small points in space - what we now call black holes. Four decades later, physicist Roy Kerr discovered that some stars are saved from total collapse and become rotating rings. Kerr didn't regard these rings as time machines. However, because their intense gravity distorts space-time, and because they permit large objects to enter on one side and exit on the other in one piece, Kerr-type black holes can serve as portals to the past or the future. If finding one with the proper dimensions is too much trouble, you can always build one yourself:

•Gather enough matter to equal Jupiter's mass.
•Compress it into a ring about 5 feet in diameter. This can put a lot of stress on mechanical tools, so a high-energy electromagnetic field is recommended.
•As you compress the ring, set it spinning. Increase its velocity to nearly the speed of light. A black hole will form at its center.
•Step through the hole and you'll be transported instantly to another time (and, possibly, place), potentially as far back as the big bang or as far forward as the end of the universe as we know it. Bon voyage!

Fine print: The Kerr ring is a one-way ticket. The black hole's gravity is so great that, once you step through it, you won't be able to return.

Okay, I stated it wrong in an earlier post. Sorry 'bout that. </edit>

#25763 Time

Posted by Ice Nine on 10 May 2004 - 08:25 AM in Off Topic

Ever read Wired Magazine?

For the then year issue, they did a little section on time travel. Four different ways of doing it, how to do it, and the flaws of each one.

One that stands out in my mind was taking about large amounts (I mean, like, tons upon tons upon tons.) of material and putting it into a compresser suffciently powerful. One it gets down to a certain density, it'll turn into a black hole, and work as a portal to another time.

There were a few others, but I'm not sure what they are. I'll have to go check.

<later...> After much searching/cruising of their website, I found the article.

#25664 Super Soaker Mod

Posted by Ice Nine on 07 May 2004 - 08:21 AM in Modifications

Hmm, a good idea for a CPS system would be to make a clip out of brass.

You could put a long PVC barrel on the gun, then cut it right near the base. Then you have a place for a gravity fed clip. You could make the clip out of three inch pieces of brass, and just drop it through the hole.

I dunno if it would work, but it seems like it would because of the bladder system and how they're made to release a lot of air over a long period of time.

#25663 Happy Birthday...

Posted by Ice Nine on 07 May 2004 - 08:16 AM in Off Topic

my birthdays tomorow

Yes, Jake, we know.

Happy birthday, and I hope you like Red Dead Revolver, 'cause that's what your gettin'.

<edit> Technically, your birthday is today, since its 6:17 here on a Friday. </edit>

#25198 Anyone Here Play Counter Strike?

Posted by Ice Nine on 29 April 2004 - 09:50 PM in Off Topic

<a little off topic> I have played both Halo on Xbox and on the computer. The computer was something like 2.8 Ghz. I dunno, ask Bobert. His computer.
There are some things I like about both, some things I don't like. On the PC version, it was very easy to aim, but it was a little hard for me to get used to the controls. I found it harder to move in certain directions and with the ease of a joystick.
On Xbox, the controls are easy and I can move freely. But its a lot harder to go for precision shots, and I HATE wasting shots. Hell, one on one in Halo, I'll only shoot if I have to or if they're right in the pistols sight.
All in all, each has pros and cons. I didn't play the computer version as much as the console, so I'm sure that there are some fallacies in my logic. </a little off topic>

As far as FPS' go, I really like Metroid Prime. And for multi, Halo and James Bond.

#25195 Who Hunts?

Posted by Ice Nine on 29 April 2004 - 09:36 PM in Off Topic

Meh... I might if I could, but West L.A. and surrounding areas aren't really prime hunting spots.

#25194 Guns

Posted by Ice Nine on 29 April 2004 - 09:31 PM in Off Topic

Yes, we assumed that. Pretty obvious stuff, although a very useful hint. Right up there with hot brass and "Don't point it at anyone while firing."

#25162 Guns

Posted by Ice Nine on 29 April 2004 - 05:25 PM in Off Topic

Thanks for the help, Cx. I think that a 9mm handgun would be the best way to go, so this is probably what I'm gonna use, if they have it.
Posted Image
It's a Sig Sauer Compact P229. Very cool looking.

My backup choice? Well, if I can't use that, then...
Posted Image
... The Glock 30 will work. Looks cool.

The thing is, we're taking a lesson. How to properly fire/load/everything else.

We can also use multiple pistols throughout the day, although I'm mostly going to stay with the Glocks and Sigs.

We may also try a rifle or two, but I don't really plan on it.

<edit> For anyone who cares: This is the website of the range we plan on going to. </edit>

#25119 Guns

Posted by Ice Nine on 29 April 2004 - 09:10 AM in Off Topic

Sorry for bringing this back, but Bobert and I are probably going to a shooting range soon. They have many different kinds of guns (They have Glocks, Sig Sauer, Para Ordinance, Smith & Wesson, Beretta, Springfield Armory, Winchester, Colt, Ruger, H&K, and Bul-M5s.), and I would like to know which ones would be easy to fire and such for a beginner. I've always wanted to fire a Sig, but I'm a little bit worried about the power of some of their guns, and I wanted people that have fired guns to help a little. I know that Cx has a Glock, so, yeah, what's a Glock 30 like?

#25118 Happy Birthday

Posted by Ice Nine on 29 April 2004 - 08:32 AM in Off Topic

Well, you should.

Happy (Belated) Birthday! Meh, one day off.

#25004 Help Moding Nf

Posted by Ice Nine on 27 April 2004 - 09:56 PM in Modifications

Or click mods and then go to Nite Finder mod.

Try doing a little research first; it'll help.

You don't have to use PETG for this mod. You can use brass or CPVC or normal PVC, depending on what kind of darts you'll be using.

#24863 Super Soaker Sites

Posted by Ice Nine on 26 April 2004 - 09:03 AM in Off Topic

Isn't the CPS2000 the one that Gaebo claimed could shoot 300 ft. or something?

Heh, if he said that to any of these people, I'd bet they'd wig out.

#24736 Happy Birthday

Posted by Ice Nine on 24 April 2004 - 08:27 AM in Off Topic

I don't really like Green Mountin Dew. I have a weird reaction to it and it makes me throw up.

I really like Code Red. That one tastes the best to me, although I haven't tried Livewire.

#24715 Nerf Pistol

Posted by Ice Nine on 23 April 2004 - 09:58 PM in Homemades

Okay.

How do you pressureize it? It would be cool to use Co2, but if you only used a bike pump or something, that would work. It wouldn't take very many pumps anyway, because it has a small airtank.

#24714 Rf20 External Banding?

Posted by Ice Nine on 23 April 2004 - 09:55 PM in Modifications

I have mine PETGed, and I have my bands on with them pulling backwards. When I first did it, I assumed that it had added about anywhere from 10-20 feet. Now, I have done some other stuff, and if I could get it working, I could give it a whirl. And post ranges.

#24647 Time

Posted by Ice Nine on 22 April 2004 - 05:50 PM in News

Maybe I should start putting my art skills together, turn into a grinning penis, and replace Groovy as artist of DBF. ;)

<edit> Ooh, a first! I've never used an smiley online. </edit>

#24632 War Movie

Posted by Ice Nine on 21 April 2004 - 09:36 PM in Nerf Wars

Do not bring back old topics.

I'm going to expect that you won't get many more warnings. You may wanna clean up your posts, and actually LOOK AT THE DATE before you post in a topic with something as useless as...

funny  :w00t:

End transmission.

#24584 Rapid Fire 20

Posted by Ice Nine on 20 April 2004 - 06:50 PM in Modifications

Nope. Just fairly straight cuts and plenty of peering down the barrel to see if it's straight. And with hot glue, if it's not straight, then you can just rip if off and try again.

PETG heavier than brass? Pssh. No way, dude. It's just a piece of clear plastic. Brass is metal, albiet very light metal.

#24579 Building A Custom Pc

Posted by Ice Nine on 20 April 2004 - 06:24 PM in Off Topic

Make sure that the part that advances the clip up functions properly. Also, make sure the screws around the orange clip itself aren't too tight or too loose. Take out the restrictors if you want. Unless there's some air leakage, you'll find you have a decent PC with minimal customization.

Did you even read his post or are you just fucking retarded? He's talking about a computer.
Superintendent, www.newegg.com has pretty good prices and selection, I was gonna order my PC from there.

I think that he's talking about PC's, Neo, as in POWERCLIP.

Wrong PC, dude.

Oops. Looks like I should have listened to Taita.

#24575 Rapid Fire 20

Posted by Ice Nine on 20 April 2004 - 06:00 PM in Modifications

Ice nine, did you notice any accuracy change after using petg?

Yes. Lots. Definately more accurate.

Although now I can't get measurements, as the guns is:
a.) Open and completely disassembled, and...
b.) Has chronic problems, and is not working.

#24566 Rapid Fire 20

Posted by Ice Nine on 20 April 2004 - 05:02 PM in Modifications

Okay, yes, I did PETG a RF20. 2" barrels.

To do a barrel mod, all you have to do is take off the front half of the turret and put the barrels on the bottom part. Very easy. My PETG fits my darts very tightly, but it gives them a good, solid pop! when fired.

I streched the spring in the piston, and put rubber bands on it to make it work better. Without these things done to it, the replaced barrels added 5-10' more on rapid fire mode, depending on the dart.

#24550 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Ice Nine on 20 April 2004 - 08:50 AM in Nerf Wars

Okay, sweet. Now I have a much MUCH better chance than zero of coming.

Bobert and Grinch, start groveling with your parents. I want both of you to come.

#24457 How Many Max Pumps For At2k

Posted by Ice Nine on 18 April 2004 - 11:10 AM in Modifications

I'm fairly sure it depends on how well you plug the pump. Cx said to only pump a plugged pump SM750 only 3 or 4 times and got 85' feet(ish), but I pump mine about 7 or 8 times. Try what works best. Oh, I wouldn't advise going over six.

#24432 "it" Is...

Posted by Ice Nine on 17 April 2004 - 11:55 AM in Modifications

Yeah, to remove the 750, just unbend the wire.

Magnets would be awesome. The only problem may be if one of them came unstuck and possibly break the punger tube to stick to the metal that reinforces the plunger itself. Then, find another or be screwed.

#24429 Eab/1500 Integration

Posted by Ice Nine on 17 April 2004 - 09:36 AM in Modifications

I prefer ones that don't have odd parts of the gun sticking out (i.e. pumps, things used to pull the pin, etc.).

Sorry, with that I didn't really mean it.
I love the way you fit the SM1500 in, using the spaces that were previously filled with the various expanding crap.
I just prefer things like GrOOvE's, where you can tell what the guns on it are.

Just kidding, Grinch. Can't wait to try it/feel what it's like to get hit by two similtanious uber-shots!
If anyone wants to compare Grinchy's gun to my responce, please refer to this thread.

Yay! I quoted myself! I'm a badass!