California Recall

Anyone Here Running?

29 replies to this topic

#26 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:57 PM

The governor was trying to illegally triple the car tax without voters consent.

If so then it will be put back, simple as that.

The only people calling it illegal before the courts pass judgement on the matter are Republicans with an agenda.

If you're interested, the administration claims that the tax 'hike' was merely a return to the previous amount (2%), as stipulated by a law Wilson signed 5 years ago. If that's the case then Davis had no choice.

Again, the courts will decide...
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#27 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:26 AM

According to your theories those who we elect have no power whatsoever. They simply sit in a chair doing only what the majority of voters wants him to do. We are living in a great big republic in which everyone is ruling. That would be ideal, great everyone would win except the monority but the majority would be happy. If that were true, than he wouldn't be allowed to triple the car tax back again without us voting for it. In any case, the majority of voters are most likely going to be telling Davis to move out oretty soon. Their power over government is simply growing which is good, it seems, for everyone. "Wasting" millions of dollars on an election seems better than billions being lost right now. The cause of Davis's low approval rating is a matter or opinion, but if the cause is mass hysteria, there must be some reason for it. And its not just Republican agenda instilling such hysteria among the public because a whole lot more than 24% of the California population is Democratic.
Happiness is a foam gun.

#28 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:17 AM

Bah, I just realized that this isn't really worth my time. I don't know enough about the situation and politics in general to effectively debate, so the only thing I could really do is point out the flaws in other people's arguments which is no fun. This is the third time I've deleted what I was going to say in this post, so I'll sum it up. Kevin wins. Yay.
"Do not question that which is. Question that which will never be."

#29 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for posting the link to that site Julie, I've never seen it before but really like the information they have.

It's really amazing how good a job the entire Republican party has done diverting the nations attention away from the economy. What is beyond amazing is that there are still people who believe in trickle-down economics.

#30 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:52 PM

Davis's big sin is that he doesn't have the staff and the charisma to pull off a difficult situation. Bush is dealing with many of the same issues, except at the federal level, but he's got his brilliant minions playing distraction games very effectively.

Very interesting, I'm afraid I'm all out of arguments for now, but that site you gave is an excellent source of information. Perhaps I'll come up with something after reading more into it. I shall indeed bother to learn more about our government, thank you for your advice and opinions, know they are both being considered.
Happiness is a foam gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users