Bonsai Kittens

WHAT THE FUCK? SICKNESS?

35 replies to this topic

#26 wtrent10

wtrent10

• Banned
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 03:59 PM

Well, It's a habit to just put 3 question marks at the end of a sentence. I've done it for a few years now. Also I didn't know that you had to have perfect punctuation on the forums. I don't see why cap's have to be after every sentence and shit like that. I thought I was out of school.
"This movie is the cause for all mental retardation. every kid I see walking down the street slamming their hand against their chest and yelling some incoherent sound I'm gonna point at them and yell, 'NO!!!!!!!! YOU WATCHED SKY CAPTAIN!!!!'"

~James

#27 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 04:31 PM

Wow, I'm surprised you're not in summer school.
QUOTE(Arcanis)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Why dont you have anything to drink!?
Choose one, making you better feeling!

#28 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 05:46 PM

I thought I was out of school.

Oh on the contrary, you're education is JUST beginning.....

>evil laughter<
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#29 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 10:17 AM

Well, It's a habit to just put 3 question marks at the end of a sentence. I've done it for a few years now. Also I didn't know that you had to have perfect punctuation on the forums. I don't see why cap's have to be after every sentence and shit like that. I thought I was out of school.

And here's the fundamental problem with public schooling, the kids who want to keep the school at school and forget everything they learn once they are out. Sure, you are out of school for the summer, but these people at the front of the rooms aren't just babbling on about shit for no reason, you are supposed to take some of it into that large grey sponge inside your skull and possibly apply it to life. But, I guess we all take different things away from the experience... you apparantly took very little.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#30 taber man

taber man

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 10:33 AM

I don't really care if its fake...thats a pretty fuckin sick joke

i totally agree, because i don't see how come the cats wouldn't use the impulse reaction to scratch at the person that is trying to do that to them (before the bone softener and muscle relaxers are injected). it is sick, and anyone who does that for real should be shot without trial. i hope some of you agree.
so this is a signature... wow, they're a lot smaller in person... o.O;

#31 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:25 AM

I think the problem really comes down to code-switching.

The older teens and adults here have known a world without IM. They learned to write and communicate before the normal form of communication was a chat program. These 'old guard' types insist on what some would call a pedantic over-correctness in online communication.

The younger teens probably learned to chat online at the same time they learned to write in school. They simultaneously learned 'real world' english and 'online' english and they have no problem code-switching between the two. When in class (or later on the job) they write in 'real world' english. While online they may choose to write in the abbreviated, anything-goes IM-speak style.

Then we have forums like this one where the administrators expect 'proper', 'real world' english. The 'old guard' types are comfortable with this because they tend to communicate that way anyhow. The people who were code-switching need to look at the accepted communication style here and adapt. The problem is that we occasionally get people who don't take the time to read a bit and learn the communication norms for the site.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#32 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 03:05 PM

i totally agree, because i don't see how come the cats wouldn't use the impulse reaction to scratch at the person that is trying to do that to them (before the bone softener and muscle relaxers are injected). it is sick, and anyone who does that for real should be shot without trial. i hope some of you agree.

I think you're taking this WAY too seriously, and that's scaring the llamas. Please, don't scare the llamas. I don't care what YOU would do to a imaginary person who performed an imaginary, and physically impossible, cruel action against an animal.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#33 serpent sniper

serpent sniper

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 06:11 PM

C, while I do respect your "theory", I must admit that it does have its flaws.
Also, taber man! Goddammit! You're scaring the llamas! Fucker...
Animus GmbH My Custom Nerf Props and Paintjobs

#34 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 09:18 PM

Nice theory, CX, although I do have to point out that while I am one of the older personalities here, I did start using online communications at the age of 11 and I do not seemed to be plauged by this problem, except for the fact that I like to write long run-on sentences with lots of commas in them.

As I was saying, Nice theory Cx, but I think regardless of how you learned your english and grammar skills, it shouldn't impede on your ability to read the rest of the thread to see what has already been added to the conversation. You would think that it would be a good way to avoid redundancy and sheer ingorance, but apparantly I am wrong since these things seem to filter their way into these threads constantly.

In any case, some people are dumb. That's about all I have to say.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#35 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:36 PM

The funny thing is, on message boards I (attempt) to use perfect grammer, with the occasional internet acronym. On ICQ I do the same, but on AIM I type like a speed freak 14 year old. I think it's some kind of perverted mental influence, some kind of "dumb" brain waves that AIM sends out when you use it.

#36 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:57 PM

The funny thing is, on message boards I (attempt) to use perfect grammer, with the occasional internet acronym. On ICQ I do the same, but on AIM I type like a speed freak 14 year old. I think it's some kind of perverted mental influence, some kind of "dumb" brain waves that AIM sends out when you use it.

Its a product of AOL. Coincidence?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users