Photo

Where To Buy Modding Materials

Where to get, and where not to get

331 replies to this topic

#101 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:00 AM

Actually, Nerf is a terrible hobby for hypochondriacs.

My brand of hot glue is a carcinogen.

Most BBs are made of ... lead.

PVC dust, which you get whenever you dremel it, is highly toxic. From my experience, just cutting PVC with a dremel and sanding the inside out by 0.001 produces enough dust to give you a cough, a stuffed nose and a sore throat for several days.

And don't forget epoxy, which is toxic, can suffocate you with fumes, and actually causes your body to produce estrogen, according to Wikipedia.

They're all reasonably safe to use, as long as you don't do stupid shit like drill PVC in your bedroom, lick your melted hot glue or leave uncured epoxy in a container under your bed.

#102 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:02 AM

Sorry, accidental DP.

Edited by yourface, 04 November 2007 - 09:04 AM.

#103 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

Actually, I keep my epoxy in a container next-to my bed... Weird. I've also drilled PVC in my room, but I'm not worried.

Edited by DarkInfection, 04 November 2007 - 11:00 PM.

#104 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

I never use pvc, just 'cause I'm paranoid.

Then you should be really paranoid because unless you have a really old house most of the water lines run through your house are PVC and potentially the main line running into your house is PVC.

If you want to be cautious then you should be using the right kind of tools to cut PVC, not spazzing that you're working with it in the first place. Most materials are toxic if you work with them in an unsafe manner.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 05 November 2007 - 03:10 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#105 aguineapig

aguineapig

• Banned
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:54 PM

They're all reasonably safe to use, as long as you don't do stupid shit like drill PVC in your bedroom,

Ohh.... SHIT.. i do that ALL THE TIME!

Anyone know if CPVC is bad? I have limited knowledge when it come to barrel material.

Edited by aguineapig, 05 November 2007 - 03:55 PM.

fun-petitive!

Her brother literally almost pissed herself.

DO NOT CLICK!!

#106 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:04 PM

CPVC is good if you need a lot of barrel material and have no money (AKA it's cheap). However, it tends to be too tight on most darts and is difficult to load with certain foams. It's also easy to bend at long lengths, which is not ideal if you need a super-accurate high-powered gun like a Titan.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#107 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:12 PM

Depends on your foam and how careful you are about getting pipe with the dimensions you need. You can get SCH80 pipe with a .526" or .546" inner diameter should you want a tight fit or a loose one.

They're all reasonably safe to use, as long as you don't do stupid shit like drill PVC in your bedroom,

Anyone know if CPVC is bad? I have limited knowledge when it come to barrel material.

PVC and CPVC are chemically very similar. CPVC is co-polyvinylchloride.

As long as you are cleaning up the shavings and not drilling at a high speed (you shouldn't when drilling plastics anyways) then you don't have to worry about anything.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 05 November 2007 - 04:14 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#108 aguineapig

aguineapig

• Banned
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:48 PM

Depends on your foam and how careful you are about getting pipe with the dimensions you need. You can get SCH80 pipe with a .526" or .546" inner diameter should you want a tight fit or a loose one.

PVC and CPVC are chemically very similar. CPVC is co-polyvinylchloride.

As long as you are cleaning up the shavings and not drilling at a high speed (you shouldn't when drilling plastics anyways) then you don't have to worry about anything.

Ok, thanks.
fun-petitive!

DO NOT CLICK!!

#109 aguineapig

aguineapig

• Banned
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:51 PM

Is there a way to delete posts?

I didn't mean to double post, sorry.

Edited by aguineapig, 05 November 2007 - 06:55 PM.

fun-petitive!

DO NOT CLICK!!

#110 The Bone

The Bone

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:53 AM

I'm sorry to ask, but what is that clear tubing called? and where can you get it? I would look through the posts but, heh- I don't know what its called.
No man ever won a war by dying for his country... he won it by making the enemy die for his

#111 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:03 AM

I'm sorry to ask, but what is that clear tubing called? and where can you get it? I would look through the posts but, heh- I don't know what its called.

Do you mean PETG? If so then you get it from One Man Clan.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#112 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

There is also acrylic, but hardly anyone uses that.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#113 The Bone

The Bone

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

There is also acrylic, but hardly anyone uses that.

I mean the clear tubing that looks like PvC .
No man ever won a war by dying for his country... he won it by making the enemy die for his

#114 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:08 PM

You mean this?
Posted Image

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#115 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:44 PM

I never use pvc, just 'cause I'm paranoid.

Then you should be really paranoid because unless you have a really old house most of the water lines run through your house are PVC and potentially the main line running into your house is PVC.

If you want to be cautious then you should be using the right kind of tools to cut PVC, not spazzing that you're working with it in the first place. Most materials are toxic if you work with them in an unsafe manner.

I guess I worded that wrong. It's not me who spazzes out that I use PVC, it's my mom I've tried to convince her to let me use it, but unfortunately there is more stuff saying "pvc is bad", than saying "pvc is fine unless you do stupid crap with it".

On a more helpful note: I found a big tube of epoxy at Dollarama today, and it seems like it's only slightly worse than the five minute epoxy you can get in hardware stores.

#116 Ballhead

Ballhead

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

Where do you buy springs, specifically the industrial nite finder sized springs, I'm working on my longshot and don't want to buy some separate gun just for a spring.

#117 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:15 AM

Ace Hardware and Home Depot both carry springs, albeit different lines. I personally prefer the HD ones. Their line is called "Handyman". For an NF, you'll want the 9713s. They come in a 2-pack for about $5-7, and their dimensions are almost identical to the NF spring's with the exception of a heavier gauge. They should be in the hardware aisle near the bolts, nuts, and hinges. I warn you though, they require heavy reinforcement to be used without destroying your gun quickly.

For a better-fitting spring, cut down an AR-15 buffer spring available here.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 23 November 2007 - 12:20 AM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#118 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:28 AM

I'm going to Lowes today to get some cpvc and I was wondering where do you get O-Rings? Also specifically what size is best for Nitefinders and Tech Targets? Or even Longshots.
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#119 saxynerfer

saxynerfer

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:39 AM

This might have already been stated, but...

You can get brass at Hobbytown USA and probably lots of other hobby stores. For me, they came in 12" lengths for about $3.50. They had every diameter from 1/3 inch to about 3/4 inch.

I went ahead and got 5 feet of 9/16 for just $10!

I just usually bang mine against some sort of ananimaite object untill it eventually breaks off.

#120 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:46 PM

Woo! I didn't think a new thread was necessary, but Lowes is coming to Canada now! Maybe the stores will carry 1/2 FBR. No more megas for me. Here are the details.

All we need now is McMaster Carr to ship to Canada again...

#121 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:54 PM

I wonder if that will collapse like the Canadian K-Mart chain did.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#122 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

Now, I know this has been discussed. But I have had NO luck.

So where do you find schedule 80 pvc?

I don't want to order online, I checked in the sprinkler aisle at Home Depot, the plumbing section at HD and the conduit section with no luck.

I have NOT searched TOO thoroughly at Lowes besides the plumbing section (kick-ass CPVC, fits my darts like a dream)

So, I want an answer from someone who HAS sch. 80 pvc and knows where they got it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by xNFx 37, 16 December 2007 - 09:20 PM.

it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#123 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:33 PM

Ace.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#124 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

Will it be by all the normal PVC or just some other random spot in ace?
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#125 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:30 PM

Its by all the pipe fittings with all the metal baskets. Its dark gray.
Timothy M-Lick <3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users