Star Wars Galaxies

Barrels -o- fun

51 replies to this topic

#26 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:26 PM

Well.. still getting it! I've FINALLY decided on a GeForce 4 MX 440 SE w 4x AGP 128 MB vid card, as well as 2 512MB Ram Cards! I'll have a total of 1.28GB ram, quadrupling my 256MB now. Quite an upgrade. Eventually I'll get a faster 3GHZ processor or something and go to Win2k3, which I hear is VERY good. It's XP without the gayness of XP.

Still not sure what server im gonna play on. I've met (virtually..) with a few guys in the SWG chatroom and I'm gonna play with them. They haven't really figured out what server they are gonna be in either, so, I'm waiting on them.

EDIT: On another note, is Death still playing? Last time I talked to him I asked him about it and he said "Fuck yeah, I've been waiting to play since this game came out!" Where did he gooooo?
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#27 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 09:04 PM

Well.. still getting it! I've FINALLY decided on a GeForce 4 MX 440 SE w 4x AGP 128 MB vid card, as well as 2 512MB Ram Cards! I'll have a total of 1.28GB ram, quadrupling my 256MB now. Quite an upgrade. Eventually I'll get a faster 3GHZ processor or something and go to Win2k3, which I hear is VERY good. It's XP without the gayness of XP.

Ok I couldn't resist....

First off screw the Geforce 4 MX cards, they suck. They're basically modified Geforce 2 cores. You want either a Radeon 9100 or higher, or a Geforce Ti4200 or higher. Trust me on this one.

Next: Unless you're doing video editing, heavy photoshop or 3d work, the difference between 512 Mb of RAM and 1 gig is nearly imperceivable. Save the money, just double what you have now to 512Mb and use the extra cash towards a better video card.

3Ghz P4's aren't worth the ridiculous premium you pay for a top of the line part, get a 2.6 or 2.8Ghz P4 and save $150. You won't miss the 5% speed difference.

Windows Server 2003 isn't out yet (it's still in beta), and it's not geared as a desktop OS, it's a server operating system meant to replace Win2k Advanced Server until the server version of Longhorn (next gen Windows) arrives in 2005 or something. Even aside from that Win2k3 is basically XP but with a new version of IIS, (supposedly) better security features, and more enterprise-geared networking features and hardware support (support for 4 CPUs, etc). XP kicks major ass. If you think XP sucks for some reason, and of course it's not perfect, run Windows 2000 Professional, which is basically XP only with a less-efficient user interface, poorer game and consumer program compatability, less optimized gaming/3d device drivers, fewer nifty enhancements for digital media etc. Now Win2k is a great OS mind you, I ran it for several years, but unless you're running a workstation or server, WinXP is just better, well WinXP Professional at least.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#28 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 12:55 AM

Thank you Spoon, I figured CX was keeping you around for a reason. Don't be too hard on GunnedDown though, he's like 14 or something.... he doesn't even know where to get the good pr0n at.

Anywho, I'm going to get back to NOT playing Galaxies now.
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#29 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts
  • Fucks Given:0
  • State:California

Posted 25 June 2003 - 02:02 AM

Yeah...I've got a GeForce Ti4600, and 512 MB DDR RAM. I do flash. I draw comics. I play games. I don't need a gig.

By the way, I also have WinXP Professional (aka, teh l337).

Oh yeah...basically what Spoon said.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#30 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 08:03 AM

First off screw the Geforce 4 MX cards, they suck. They're basically modified Geforce 2 cores. You want either a Radeon 9100 or higher, or a Geforce Ti4200 or higher. Trust me on this one.

Mother cock sucking fuck! This is how it goes:

Howard: Get a GeForce4 MX440 SE like I did!
Some other guy: Nooo noo get the Ti4200!
Jcizcomin's brother who builds computers: Ti4200? Piece of shit! Spend 400 bucks on a Radeon 9800.
Dude I play CS with: Get a GeForce FX card, trust me.
Some Other Guy: Nah man, you gotta get like a Ti4400 or a Radeon 9700, trust me.
More bitches: FX 5600 ULTRA YOU FUCKER! Trust us, we KNOW what we're talking about.... you stupid kid.
Another dude I play CS with who builds comps for a living: GeForce 4 MX 4400 ..
Spoon: Ti4200 BIATCH! Trust me!

GAH! MOTHER FUCKING PEOPLE WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOU MAKE UP YOUR MOTHER FUCKING MINDS AND ALL GO TO HELL WHEN YER DONE! AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Alright, since TWO or THREE people said Ti4200 and I looked at that one before, mother fuck, TI4200 it is.

I might only get one ram card, I probably will. Yeah, what the fuck.

I should have stressed "eventually" in that sentence. Eventually means like, "by the time they have 3.5 GhZ processors", or like, "at the end of the year", or "next year", or shit like that. Yeah....

Sorry bout the win2k3 thing. Someone told me they had some thing called windows 2003 and they didn't explain exactly what the fuck it was, all they told me is, "it's got XP software but it's like 2000!". Fucker.

I hate XP, personally. Nice software, shitastic user interface. Maybe it's because the comp I used XP on was a cock sucking E-Machine. Yeah, that's, probably it.

Famine: FUCK YOU!

Groove: ...
but we do sh*t and F---"

#31 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts
  • Fucks Given:0
  • State:California

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:17 AM

Posted Image

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#32 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 01:32 PM

... that's fantastic Groove.

Anyways, GD: No reason to get all pissy just cause SWG is gonna blow and your 133t friends prefer to project their pearls of PC wisdom through their anal orafice. The truth of the matter with the whole Video Card thing is that any GeForce card that's a ti4200 or better will meet your gaming needs and any Radeon that's a 9700 PRO or better will meet them equally as well. Beyond that it's simply a matter of budget and preference.

So everyone who told you to get a Ti4200, 4400, 4600, 4800, FX5200, 5600, 5900, or Radeon 9700/9800 PRO were all correct, they were just suggesting a specific card because that was probably the one they bought which fit within their budget and brand preference, the person who recommended the MX card is simply a douche and if I were you I would completely ignore any future advice that he gives and suggest to him that he cancels his PC Magazine subscription so that he may save money with which to buy a clue, the same goes for the Win 2k3 kid.

I have no idea where the fuck that came from but gaming on a Win 2k platform is a pain in the ass unless you're an ub3r geek like Spoon, or maybe Death. Christ, you might as well just game on linux. As for the XP interface, it can be set back to the classic Win 9x layout if you want it to. Personally, after using XP here at work for a while I don't mind the new interface as much, but it does decrease performance.

... you really should have just asked on these forums first, listen to Spoon, or CX, or Death, or Ash, or myself (sometimes). Never, ever, ever, fuckin ask Howard. The only thing asking Howard will accomplish is ensuring that your PC will contain adquate amounts of douche and gay.
~Famine
of Mag-7

#33 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 02:45 PM

Eh, yer right, I prolly shoulda asked here. *doh*. Anyway, the guy I asked about the MX card didn't realize what game I would be playing; most people don't. He actually is extremely knowledgable and I'm going to double check that the card I am purchasing is compatible with my system. Groove knows him. His name is Doug. However, Howard did know =D. But, yeah, he's, Howard. I'm trusting you bastards on this... I am.. really.. The MX card will run it, but probably shittily, okay, VERY shittily.. I AM getting a GeForce4 TI4200 + 1 512MB stick of RAM. I also preordered the game.

I know of no one who is playing this, personally, except, well, yeah, Death. Is he playing or not??? ANSWER ME BITCHES?

Anyway, thanks for helping some nerdy kid who you don't even fucking know. Me appreciates the help. Have a nice day.
but we do sh*t and F---"

#34 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 07:57 PM

Alright, I'm going to go order the Ti4200 in a few minutes. I checked it over and it's compatible with me comp. Just gotta... update BIOS.. yeah. Uh, so, thanks a lot. I should have realized that you guys KNEW what my target was, unlike some other people who didn't understand. Thanks.

I can't wait to roll beads!
but we do sh*t and F---"

#35 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 08:16 AM

Mm.. vid card works GREAT! Although the RAM card wasn't compatible, and really bitched the thing up. It forced an auto-reinstall of almost all the hardware drivers..

However, I figured out what applications I can shut down, and now it runs at warp speed.. almost.. I CAN run SWG!

The game ROCKS.. the planets are HUGE. So far I've only seen the city of Bestine on Tatooine... my god the desert is huge. It's fun to just run out with a couple of guys and run around screaming in your boxers shooting and Womp Rats...

FUN!

But.. if you gotta pay the 15 dollars a month and are working extra to scoop it up, dont get it. It's good, but I can see why others would NOT like this game. I can't wait until I get back from the doctors so I can PLAY!
but we do sh*t and F---"

#36 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:18 AM

Once again GD, you should've asked about the RAM. If you just post your complete system specs we could have made the whole upgrade process alot less painful. That's what we're here for. Try pie, try.
~Famine
of Mag-7

#37 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 04:36 PM

Ash, you're way with words (most notably "douche" and "gay") are astounding. You must come back and visit next summer.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#38 Howard

Howard

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 04:49 PM

Whoo, douche and gay, so you want me to shower up before you trick me into joining you on your homosexual adventures? I guess you like the small boys nice and sparkly clean... and not all dirty and man juiced up as yourself...

#39 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:48 PM

Yea pretty much. I mean doesn't it make sense that you'd rather them be clean? I mean come on, this isn't the middle ages, we're not living in pig shit anymore....Now hop in the shower, brush your teeth, and come sit on my lap while I tell you a story.

It's called:
Posted Image

#40 Howard

Howard

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:52 PM

Sounds like a good story, but i'm unclear as to what happens in it... Do you Shut The Fuck Up?

#41 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 07:50 AM

Everyone shut the fuck up and take your penis out of the flaming dead donkey's ass. Good god.

Famine, I didn't know exactly what kind of RAM card I had at first, but now I do, so, I'll just get another one of those.

Now what the fuck do I do with my ATI Rage 128?
but we do sh*t and F---"

#42 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 10:11 AM

I know people who are dumb. Mostly Howard, but there are others.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#43 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:45 PM

Heh.. I was doing just fine until my fucking OS (ME.. I know, no comments from the penis gallery) fucked me over. Piece of shit. Got more ram though. Just gotta.. reformat + upgrade soon.
but we do sh*t and F---"

#44 Vonoska

Vonoska

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 05:30 PM

Whoa....been a long time...haha lost my interest in the fourms along time ago...anyway, for anyone who might care, on the game i am a Wookiee Smuggler / TKA / Pistoleer on the kettemoor server. contact me if you have the chance. this is the best MMORPG made to date. dont let anyone tell you otherwise. long live the empire, and i'll see you in the battle.
-Vonoska
Remeber what Bilibo used to say:

"Its a dangerous business Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you dont keep your feet, there's no knowing where you'll be swept off to."

#45 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:53 AM

Is this thing out of beta testing yet?
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#46 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 08:22 AM

Yes ^_^

Arrrr.. I'm on Chilastra as a Pistoleer/commando/musician. Muahahahah! Launcher pistol owns.
but we do sh*t and F---"

#47 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 11:52 PM

Oh screw that. I was thinking of playing it in beta, but now that it's over forget it. I love Star Wars, well some of them, you know my feelings on the prequels already, but honestly, why the hell do I want to play Everquest in Space. I hate level up games anyway, too much status. What I do like is equipment customization. If this thing had been more of an action game were you can buy weapons and armor along with other supplies, I probably would have dropped trowl and let LucasArts diddle me like they've done so many times before. Personally, if I want my Star Wars fix, I just pop in Jedi Knight, old one, or Dark Forces and kick some stormtrooper ass!!!

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#48 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 05:50 PM

This is the first time I've looked at anything about the game, and it doesnt look that bad.
Hopefully Famine is wrong and there will be fighting, who knows.

Can I just say that GD is one loud-mouthed fuck over the boards?
Personal LCM Summer Tune-Up Stats:
K:H=1.00
Shots Fired: 2.1 x 10^4
Fun had: 97%

#49 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 09:25 PM

Yeah I noticed that too. I mean, I'm a loud ass fuck either way...but oh well.

#50 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 02:49 PM

IM NOT LOUD WhAT THE FUCK ARE YOU MUNKEY FUKKRS TALKIN BOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111/1/11//1/

Talio-
Some people still say it's in beta (the people playin' on a 56K, 800MHz... heh..)...

There is plenty of armor and weapons for you to buy. They've got it all. Tusken Rifles, Jawa Blasters, Vibro Blades, Gaffi Sticks, Rocket Launchers, Lightning Cannons, Particle Beams, Thermal Detonators, Glop Grenades .... aieee .. they have a TON. The weapon creation system is interesting, since every weapon is unique. Some weapons (not many) are limited use weapons that run out of ammo. Most of the ranged weapons in the game are laser weapons. There are a few standard guns that fire projectiles, and all of the commando/bounty hunter weapons (Launcher Pistol, Flame Thrower, Acid Rifle, Heavy Acid Beam Launcher, Rocket Launcher, Heavy Particle beam launcher, Light Lightning Cannon, and scatter pistol) are not laser weapons. Different types of weapons do different types of damage. Most of the standard laser weapons do "blast damage", some like the FWG5 pistol do heat damage, some like the Jawa Ion Blaster do stun damage, and some like the SG82 rifle do cold damage. There are many other types of damage as well.

Armor? There are SEVEN types of craftable armor (Bone, Mabari, Chitin, Tantel, Ubese, Padded, Composite - This means they can be crafted - and recently certain color changes can be made), in addition to Stormtrooper armor and Marine armor (which is essentially ST armor for rebs.... but it looks different..) which can be purchased with faction points (you earn it from doing Imperial/Rebel missions, and once you earn a crapload you can by some armor and other stuff, including trooper guards). There is rumored "Mandalorian" armor which is of course extremely rare (no one has found it). IMHO, Chitin, Padded, and Composite armor look the coolest. The better the armor - the stronger it is.

Armor and weapons also have add ons that can be crafted in or in some cases put on later. I have seen armor inserts that when placed in a piece of composite armor (note armor is crafted in pieces, so if you're a weirdo you could just run around with the chestplate on :lol: ), it becomes really strong. With weapons, power ups are usually limited use (75-150 shots), but can give really good bonuses.

Oh, and if you want fragging, look no further. You can run out into the desert and blow up whatever the fuck you want, just be careful...

If you want to beat the shit out of stormtroopers join the rebels and become a badass carbineer or something. Just watch out for the AT-ST's.

Jedi? There are some Jedi NPC's throughout the game. We found this "dark adept" (sith witch basically) behind Jabbas palace. She was ugly as hell but she kicked ass and it took like ten of us to kill her ( a few of us went down ).

Mantis: I love you.
but we do sh*t and F---"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users