Entry-Level Beginner Homemade Springer

34 replies to this topic

#26 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:45 PM

I'll see if I can figure out a local-source only version of this design sometime before Christmas using hardwood and plastic pipe. I would prefer to avoid using cutting boards because they look like shit.

The partslist is not likely to be as low in price as the McMaster one since the only spring worthwhile to make a full-power springer is going to cost $11 alone. The investment cost is the same as buying a pack of K25s or K26s, but you won't get those extra 4 springs.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#27 xXD3V1LXx

xXD3V1LXx

• Members
  • 258 posts
  • State:New York
  • DevilNerf on Youtube

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:58 PM

The only reason AMEX doesn't charge extra for those cards is they diddle the sellers and charge them like 6-8% which really rips into profits trust me.
A quote from Ice Nine
"Use the golden rule: Don't be a dick."

NERF On
-Devil

#28 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,190 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:35 PM

Fender washers are a pain in the ass to cut and most of the ones that both Lowe's and Home Depot stock are typically the wrong size. I've thought about doing it that way, but they would have to be mounted outside of the plunger tube instead of inside it.

Aren't superlative heads made from a fender washer that fits just inside 1-1/4" PVC?

I want to try the method makeitgo was trying that uses PEX tubing and drywall anchors.

So I'm assuming 1/2" OD PEX, but what kind of drywall anchor? That's intriguing just because drilling a centered hole in a 1/2" rod is challenging even with a drill press. Here I was thinking threaded rod would be the way to go.

#29 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • State:Ontario
  • MKC on Youtube

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:51 AM

So I'm assuming 1/2" OD PEX, but what kind of drywall anchor?

I believe he used #6-8 nylon anchors (the fat ones that look like short off-white color screws)

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#30 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:28 AM

So, I crossed the first hurdle already. The company that makes the O-Rings sold by Home Depot is Danco, and annoyingly they have their own numbering system for o-ring sizes and Home Depot doesn't list the dimensions of the o-rings on their site. Last night I contacted Danco to ask if they have a conversion chart that shows their size numbers relative to ASME DASH numbers and they already sent me a spreadsheet that lists those as well as the OD and ID for each size.

http://captainslug.c..._reference.xlsx

It's not sorted very well, but now I know which o-rings at home depot are usable for making plunger heads. Their "#043" size is the same as a Dash 216. I'm not currently sure if I'm going to use SCH40 pipe for the plunger tube, or just try to convert the door closer itself into one. The door closer comes with the o-ring already. The only part that cannot be trusted is the plunger head that comes with it.

Aren't superlative heads made from a fender washer that fits just inside 1-1/4" PVC?

So I'm assuming 1/2" OD PEX, but what kind of drywall anchor? That's intriguing just because drilling a centered hole in a 1/2" rod is challenging even with a drill press. Here I was thinking threaded rod would be the way to go.

Superlative heads use two sizes of rubber fender washers, a screw, and a washer. The sandwich of the rubber washers forces the 1-1/2" OD rubber washer into a conical shape to distort it down to an OD that's compatible with the ID of SCH40 pipe. You get something that looks sort of like a skirt seal, but slightly flimsier.

I wouldn't really want to use threaded rod due to the weight of it. It would be easy to construct one that way, but it might not perform all that well.

Here's the thread where makeitgo shows how he makes plunger rods out of PEX and drywall anchors.

http://nerfhaven.com...orgasm-a-guide/

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#31 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:48 PM

Pump action rifle. Kind of fudged the rod lengths so I had to make an undercut on it using the knee mill. These are the same parts as on the Rev.3 Plusbow Write-Up and templates.

rp_11.jpg

#32 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:11 PM

Hate to double-post but I got some chronograph testing done today.

12-inch PETG barrel - Knifty Wye Hopper - Red Men-Gun Darts (short)

And then a dryfire managed to crack the pipe bushing. So I get to make another one of those.

#33 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,190 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:05 PM

Hate to double-post but I got some testing done today....

And then a dryfire managed to crack the pipe bushing. So I get to make another one of those.

Yeowza. Good ranges, bad about the dryfire, now you won't need to double post.

#34 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

Another Pistol. Build time: 4 hours

I'm also getting quite good at adding o-rings grooves to pipe bushings.

rp_12.jpg

#35 Chickun Smell

Chickun Smell

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • State:Connecticut

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

Nice work! Keep it up or no one else will.

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST : Topic has been inactive for a year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Entry-Level, Beginner, Homemade, Springer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users