comicbook-styled dragon-jolt write up

optical mod write up

7 replies to this topic

#1 skeptiker

skeptiker

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

By reading the boards, I noticed that you've many technical write ups here, but I haven't found much optical write-ups. Therefore I did this one in order to change this a bit^^.

Recently I made this jolt-modification which in my opinion looks much more complex to build then it actually was.

Posted Image

Here’s the proof that no magic was used. Unfortunately I can't contribute you much useful information of materials supplieres, because all my materials were purchased in Germany. So if you wish to reproduce this Mod, you've to do a little research by yourselves ;) I'am also sorry for usage of metric system.

Material List:
- Nerf Jolt (I used the orange N-Strike type)
- "Smiffys Dart Gun with Foam Bullets"
- 2 components epoxy putty of your choice
- Gypsum or each other cheap filling mass
- A brazen wall hook like this one
- Covers for the Nerf-Pattern (diameter max. 2,6 cm, thickness approx. 1mm)
- Instant adhesive
- spray paint & varnish
- Acrylic paint

Tools list
- carpet knife
- Dremel with typical equipment
- Glue gun
- Drill (4mm)
- Sculpting tools (optional)
- Sandpaper (coarse and fine)
- Brushes

Starting point of this mod was a "Smiffys Dart Gun with Foam Bullets"

Posted Image

The stock blaster was quite useless: the performance is lousy, the supplied darts (deviating to the suppliers picture just cheap, very firm foam) have a much smaller diameter than CS darts (which excludes their use) and they started extremely fishtailing and doing looping after about only 2 - 3 meters. Other negative points: The plastic is really thin and soft, and the catch was not working.

Posted Image

Therefore in discussion with Lord_of_Xenos from the german modding-community www.blasted.de the idea to simply transplant the dragon and the back of the plungertube to a Jolt instead of throwing the whole blaster away .

The corresponding parts of the body were easily cut out using a heatened carpet knife instead of requiring a Dremel.

The internal's holders were cut down with the dremel so that the parts of the shell could be putted directly on the previously unmodified Jolt.

Posted Image

In order to be abled to place the dragon’s barrel over the Jolt's barrel, it was necessary to cut a gap into the upper end of the Jolts trigger guard (mine was about 2 mm wide, but 1 mm should also be enough). Also, I had to make a cutout for the Jolt trigger.

First, I then aligned the barrels front part and fixed it with hot glue and then glued the halves of the dragon's head onto the sides with excact fit. In addition, I was able to use 2 of the original screw fittings.

Not visible on the pictures is that there was a huge hole beyond the dragons head resulting from the cut off handle of the original blaster. I closed with fine gypsum-based leveling compound. The muzzle is modeled from 2 components epoxy putty by using the round edge of a sculpting tool like first one from the right.

Posted Image

I have also filled the screw holes, the channel of the original plunger rod and the gaps between Jolt and the dragons head with it.

Posted Image

The Nerf brands were removed with a sharp knife to keep the grid on the handle flawless, as this should be maintained.

Afterward, everything was sanded smooth (coarse to fine), also all surfaces were sanded with fine sandpaper to improve the paints adhesion.

The priming was performed by a cheap car spray paint from a can (mat black), the colors used are Citadel Mithril Silver and Brazen Brass & Marabou copper acrylic paint.

Posted Image

To cover the Nerf logos , brass ornaments (bought by a DIY jewelry supplier) were bent to match the handle of the Jolt and glued on using instant adhesive .

Posted Image

Modifying an idea of blasted.de user Lorcan, the end of the jolts plunger rod has been cut of. After drilling into the rod with a 4mm drill a brass wall hook from the hardware store was screwed in and glued for preventing further rotation.

Posted Image

The finishing was done with a random clear spray varnish.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Of course this technique could be also used with shells of other blasters, like I’ve done with this jolt and the shell of this blaster issued by a german company

Posted Image

Edited by skeptiker, 06 September 2013 - 04:47 AM.

Nerf props made in Germany since 2011

#2 Drev

Drev

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

It's nice to see an aesthetic write up on here once and a while. Good Job!
Check out my blog: Fly Nerf

#3 Apollo441

Apollo441

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

Nice, that is a thing of beauty, was the other blaster decent? Or only good for parts

#4 PBZ

PBZ

Cap'n Whitebeard

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

Nice, that is a thing of beauty, was the other blaster decent? Or only good for parts

Read the OP:
"The stock blaster was quite useless: the performance is lousy, the supplied darts (deviating to the suppliers picture just cheap, very firm foam) have a much smaller diameter than CS darts (which excludes their use ) and they started extremely fishtailing and doing looping after about only 2 - 3 meters. Other negative points: The plastic is really thin and soft, and the catch was not working."

Thats an awesome looking mod, nice job with smoothing out holes with the epoxy!
"There's nothing quite like hunting children." -VACC

#5 Azrael0987

Azrael0987

formerly ijackofftomen. Different dude from Azrael.

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

Read the OP:
"The stock blaster was quite useless: the performance is lousy, the supplied darts (deviating to the suppliers picture just cheap, very firm foam) have a much smaller diameter than CS darts (which excludes their use ) and they started extremely fishtailing and doing looping after about only 2 - 3 meters. Other negative points: The plastic is really thin and soft, and the catch was not working."

Thats an awesome looking mod, nice job with smoothing out holes with the epoxy!

He was asking about the other blaster in the link Skeptiker provided.

#6 skeptiker

skeptiker

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

Before I got the dragon blaster, the so called "X-power 200" was the crappiest blaster I've ever had known (ok... exept these kind of lousy blasters from the cheap-cheap-shop). I don't know if it's realeased elsewhere, because this company is usually doing licensed(?) rebuilds of Lanard blasters (like the triple shot, the Blast Bazooka or the shell shock)) or buzzbee clones (like this one).

Its performance is weak (stock 3-5 meters PTG), and it's the only blaster I know which is using 15mm (~0,6 inch I think) instead of 12,7mm (0,5 inch) Darts. As far as I know, the only real purpose that it was used for was using its spring to reinforce the stampede before aftermarket springs were aviable in Germany with local shipping fees.

I've found a better picture of its shell in my records were I marked the piece I used. Unfortunately I haven't documented that mod.

Posted Image

A trivia besides: They used an exact copy of the Mavericks Handle I think...

#7 idleninja

idleninja

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:40 AM

So you could do this with anything as long as you cut it to fit the shell of the nerf gun you are attaching it to? Awesome writeup, this is really inspiring! I am going to scour my closet for old plastic toys, see if anything looks usable...
Sig?

#8 skeptiker

skeptiker

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yes you are right. You could use nearly everything you find. Also shells of soft air guns are commonly used for this technique. It even doesn't matter if the pieces do not excactly fit over the jolt. As you can see here, resulting gaps could be closed with epoxy putty:
Posted Image

Edited by skeptiker, 09 September 2013 - 01:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users