Recently I made this jolt-modification which in my opinion looks much more complex to build then it actually was.
Here’s the proof that no magic was used. Unfortunately I can't contribute you much useful information of materials supplieres, because all my materials were purchased in Germany. So if you wish to reproduce this Mod, you've to do a little research by yourselves I'am also sorry for usage of metric system.
- Nerf Jolt (I used the orange N-Strike type)
- "Smiffys Dart Gun with Foam Bullets"
- 2 components epoxy putty of your choice
- Gypsum or each other cheap filling mass
- A brazen wall hook like this one
- Covers for the Nerf-Pattern (diameter max. 2,6 cm, thickness approx. 1mm)
- Instant adhesive
- spray paint & varnish
- Acrylic paint
- carpet knife
- Dremel with typical equipment
- Glue gun
- Drill (4mm)
- Sculpting tools (optional)
- Sandpaper (coarse and fine)
Starting point of this mod was a "Smiffys Dart Gun with Foam Bullets"
The stock blaster was quite useless: the performance is lousy, the supplied darts (deviating to the suppliers picture just cheap, very firm foam) have a much smaller diameter than CS darts (which excludes their use) and they started extremely fishtailing and doing looping after about only 2 - 3 meters. Other negative points: The plastic is really thin and soft, and the catch was not working.
Therefore in discussion with Lord_of_Xenos from the german modding-community www.blasted.de the idea to simply transplant the dragon and the back of the plungertube to a Jolt instead of throwing the whole blaster away .
The corresponding parts of the body were easily cut out using a heatened carpet knife instead of requiring a Dremel.
The internal's holders were cut down with the dremel so that the parts of the shell could be putted directly on the previously unmodified Jolt.
In order to be abled to place the dragon’s barrel over the Jolt's barrel, it was necessary to cut a gap into the upper end of the Jolts trigger guard (mine was about 2 mm wide, but 1 mm should also be enough). Also, I had to make a cutout for the Jolt trigger.
First, I then aligned the barrels front part and fixed it with hot glue and then glued the halves of the dragon's head onto the sides with excact fit. In addition, I was able to use 2 of the original screw fittings.
Not visible on the pictures is that there was a huge hole beyond the dragons head resulting from the cut off handle of the original blaster. I closed with fine gypsum-based leveling compound. The muzzle is modeled from 2 components epoxy putty by using the round edge of a sculpting tool like first one from the right.
I have also filled the screw holes, the channel of the original plunger rod and the gaps between Jolt and the dragons head with it.
The Nerf brands were removed with a sharp knife to keep the grid on the handle flawless, as this should be maintained.
Afterward, everything was sanded smooth (coarse to fine), also all surfaces were sanded with fine sandpaper to improve the paints adhesion.
The priming was performed by a cheap car spray paint from a can (mat black), the colors used are Citadel Mithril Silver and Brazen Brass & Marabou copper acrylic paint.
To cover the Nerf logos , brass ornaments (bought by a DIY jewelry supplier) were bent to match the handle of the Jolt and glued on using instant adhesive .
Modifying an idea of blasted.de user Lorcan, the end of the jolts plunger rod has been cut of. After drilling into the rod with a 4mm drill a brass wall hook from the hardware store was screwed in and glued for preventing further rotation.
The finishing was done with a random clear spray varnish.
Of course this technique could be also used with shells of other blasters, like I’ve done with this jolt and the shell of this blaster issued by a german company
Edited by skeptiker, 06 September 2013 - 04:47 AM.