Dartsmithing Tips Archive

slug and ryan's guides now have their own threads in Ds and Bs

603 replies to this topic

#251 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:35 AM

Sorry for the double post, but I have a question: This is ONLY for people who have used loghelp foam.

I need to know, If this stuff fits in 9/16ths brass, or sch. 80 PVC. Mainly, I need any foam that fits in 9/16ths brass. But I've heard that Loghelp works. Is this true?
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#252 clowcards

clowcards

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

I made some darts using washers, similar to the Captain Slug method. However, I secured the washers to the FBR with orange duct tape. This has the benefit of automatically giving a brightly colored tip to the darts, while admittedly, loosing some accuracy and consistency due to the tape.

The darts are easiest to make using only one strip of tape, as you can see on the right 2 darts in the picture below. On some darts, I wrapped a second strip of tape the other way around the FBR creating a full orange tip (as seen on the left 2 darts in the picture).

Posted Image

Has anyone else used tape to make darts like this before? I like having the highly visible tip, and they are easy to make without any real tools or glue. Any ideas for improving them?

#253 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:47 PM

Video of my dartsmithing method:
Took me long enough to get around to making one.

Nice video! Except the music sounds like the stuff you hear in elevators.

That's a bad thing? The music in elevators are inspiring and emotional! It's a genre unto itself! That's the compliment. ;)

(If that was sarcasm or not, I'll leave up to you)
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#254 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:33 AM

I collect Lounge music specifically BECAUSE it's so goofy.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 26 March 2008 - 12:33 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#255 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:00 AM

I made some darts using washers, similar to the Captain Slug method. However, I secured the washers to the FBR with orange duct tape. This has the benefit of automatically giving a brightly colored tip to the darts, while admittedly, loosing some accuracy and consistency due to the tape.

Are you just putting a washer on with duct tape, and nothing else? That would really sting when it hits.

Metal + thin layer of duct tape = OUCH!

CaptainSlug puts felt tips over his washers, which reduces the ouch factor much more than duct tape would.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#256 clowcards

clowcards

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:35 AM

Yes, I am using just duct tape and nothing else, but it really doesn't hurt. There isn't that much mass to a small washer, and it is still spread out over the surface of the entire tip. I have shot myself plenty of times with my modified night finder and it doesn't hurt any more then a stock dart.

Granted, I don't have any really powerful guns, such as a singled titan. I'm sure they would hurt more coming out of a powerful gun, but then any dart would hurt when shot at that speed.

These darts are great for what I play, a week long game of Humans vs. Zombies. I mostly use them in a Maverick or a Dart Tag Blaster as disposable darts I don't really care about. The orange tip also helps Zombies see that they have been hit, because no one feels nerf darts at all with a coat or a hoodie on.

#257 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

Well shit. I can't get my darts straight worth beans. I've tried the hair dryer thing, but it's not working too well- they either don't get straight or they shrivel. Any suggestions on what setting/time to set the hair dryer at?
QUOTE(Vishamon)
My rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisible to other players.

#258 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

I usually put my darts in the pillowcase for about 10 seconds because it doesn't let any heat out.
TMC

#259 nerfer75

nerfer75

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

I do what FA_24 does, put them in a pillow case and put it in the dryer. They come out near perfect.
---nerfer75---
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.--Revelation 20:15

#260 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

I put my hair dryer on high heat and high air flow. I keep it in there for 1.5-2 minutes. Be sure to mix around the darts though.
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#261 Seven

Seven

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

[size=7]HELP!

My stefans won't shoot. In my LS I push the cocking bar forward and it flops out the end when I haven't pulled the trigger. So someone please help me :P :( :( :(

#262 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

Well is it modded to shoot stefans?
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#263 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:39 PM

[size=7]HELP!

My stefans won't shoot. In my LS I push the cocking bar forward and it flops out the end when I haven't pulled the trigger. So someone please help me :P :( :( :(

1. Are you using stefans mafe out of foam backer rod?
2. If so, did you remove the peg from the LS? Or, did you drill a hole through the foam backer rod?

If the answers to those two questions are "yes" and "no" in that order, then there's your problem. Your darts aren't going into the bolt like stock darts are supposed to; they are just going into the "faux" barrel that extends forward. That faux barrel is much too loose to hold the darts in place, so they just fall out.

Edited by jwasko, 16 April 2008 - 12:41 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#264 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

That faux barrel is much too loose to hold the darts in place, so they just fall out.

Actually, it fits 5/8 stefans perfectly.
But, jwasko is right, it doesnt like 1/2 inch FBR.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#265 Seven

Seven

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:46 AM

[size=7]HELP!

My stefans won't shoot. In my LS I push the cocking bar forward and it flops out the end when I haven't pulled the trigger. So someone please help me :( :( :( :(

1. Are you using stefans mafe out of foam backer rod?
2. If so, did you remove the peg from the LS? Or, did you drill a hole through the foam backer rod?

If the answers to those two questions are "yes" and "no" in that order, then there's your problem. Your darts aren't going into the bolt like stock darts are supposed to; they are just going into the "faux" barrel that extends forward. That faux barrel is much too loose to hold the darts in place, so they just fall out.

I also tried them in my Recon witch i did remove the peg from. It fired but only about 2 feet

#266 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

So apparently people like making their stefan micros 1-2 inches long? Why not go with the stock length of 2.5 inches to 3 inches?

#267 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:59 PM

So apparently people like making their stefan micros 1-2 inches long? Why not go with the stock length of 2.5 inches to 3 inches?

It saves foam, and they are less likely to spin out of control like streamlines do. And because people have found through trial and error, (Like I have) that 1.5 to 2 inches is the butterzone.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#268 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

1.5 to 2 inches offers the best balance of reduced friction with aerodynamic stability. The foam is there primarily for flight stability and to provide a seal against the walls of the barrel.
I tend to prefer 2-inch length over 1.5inch.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 21 April 2008 - 05:26 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#269 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:32 PM

In my experience 2 in is a little short for Longshot Magazines, and since that's the most common primary in my clan I make mine 2 1/4 inches.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#270 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

In my experience 2 in is a little short for Longshot Magazines, and since that's the most common primary in my clan I make mine 2 1/4 inches.

Mine end up just short of that total length due to the felt and washer added to the end.

#271 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:00 PM

Eh, I'll add in my experiences. My darts are 1.75" before the addition of a hot glue/felt tip, so they end up around 1.8"-1.9" by the time I'm done. I haven't had a whole lot of issues with the darts; they are probably a little heavy for some of my pistols, but in general they work well with all my guns due to the use of 1/4 slingshot ammo as a weight.

If you can though, I am a proponent of CS's method, if only because it's a lot easier to center the weight, something which I have problems with, because even if you make a centered hole, when you drop the weight into the hot glue sometimes it unevenly melts the foam and you end up with a slightly off-center weight.

~ompa

#272 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

Which is the better way of making matchstick stefans, Forsaken_Angel's way, or the original type that makes actual "matchstick" heads?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#273 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:56 PM

...If you can though, I am a proponent of CS's method, if only because it's a lot easier to center the weight, something which I have problems with, because even if you make a centered hole, when you drop the weight into the hot glue sometimes it unevenly melts the foam and you end up with a slightly off-center weight.

~ompa

Thats why you use very little hot glue or none at all before you put the weight in.

#274 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

I don't really use a lot of hot glue. The issue is that I use a high-temp glue gun which tends to melt the foam rather quickly. I'd use a lower-temp gun to alleviate the problem, but quite frankly, my current method of making darts involves allowing the glue to form a dome at the tip of the dart, hence the need for a high-temp glue gun. At low-temp the dome doesn't like to form.

I used to not use glue at all (before I put the weight in, that is), but then I had problems with the weight actually flying out of the dart (breaking through the side of the foam) upon hitting harder objects. And to be quite honest, if I miss my shot and hit a wall, I really don't want a small ball of metal ricocheting around.

~ompa

\/ In response to the post below, I'm planning to switch over to CS's style of stefans, provided they work in my Longshot when I finish modding it.

#275 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:10 PM

I don't really use a lot of hot glue. The issue is that I use a high-temp glue gun which tends to melt the foam rather quickly. I'd use a lower-temp gun to alleviate the problem, but quite frankly, my current method of making darts involves allowing the glue to form a dome at the tip of the dart, hence the need for a high-temp glue gun. At low-temp the dome doesn't like to form.

I used to not use glue at all (before I put the weight in, that is), but then I had problems with the weight actually flying out of the dart (breaking through the side of the foam) upon hitting harder objects. And to be quite honest, if I miss my shot and hit a wall, I really don't want a small ball of metal ricocheting around.

~ompa

I dip my finger in ice water and then make the head flat, kind of like the flat head of CS's darts. It sucks, I can't make darts anymore due to the fumes, and I have a couple of health issues, so my folks prohibited me from making stefans. ;) But the flat head I make them with always seems to give them a bit straighter trajectory.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users