"Wasteland" Raider

Air tank powered

9 replies to this topic

#1 zx532

zx532

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

So, as many of you know, recently I have been building something similar to Popatachi's Raider. It is similar in that it is an airtank shoved into a raider, but that's where the similarities end. I call it the Wasteland Raider because I think it looks like something from Fallout or Borderlands (either that or I have been playing too much Fallout and Borderlands recently).

The tank that I used is honestly pretty bad this one is better. The reason I used a different tank in the final design is that the one in the write up broke (something fell on it). I decided to make a new one that still had the basic design of the first, but could also be opened if need be. long story short I failed, and ended up with something that was just as sealed up, and had a bigger spring. so while it had a much better air seal at lower pressures, the trigger pull was terrible. (if you want instructions on how to build it PM me, there's no point in me writing them up here)

To combat the hard trigger pull I made a lever trigger (thanks to the suggestions of a few people)
Materials:
piece of aluminum 3/4*1/8*48 in. (I found it at home depot with the other metal stock)
2 "e" clips the same sise as the firing pin (1/4" in my case)
some scrap brass
Zip ties
some sort of glue
gaffers tape

Posted Image

You will notice that the brass is cut open and flattened. do that.
your dimentions for the pieces of aluminum will be different than mine, the key things to notice are the tabs n the ends, they lock together (and asre slightly more than 1/8" (the thickness of the aluminum) deep
also the hole in the end needs to be bigger than the end of the bolt it is on

Posted Image
attatch the top part of the lever to the top of the tank (unless the tank is well secured within the blaster) this prevents the trigger from moving the entire tank)
also the brass gets wrapped around the firing pin (this will act as a spacer for the e-clips) you should test fit the lever before you do this, just to see how long the brass should be. Remember to remove a little bit more for the e-clips (DO NOT test fit the e-clips)

Posted Image
now put the vertical bar and e-clips in. both e-clips are behind the bar, they are facing in opposite directions so that the openings don't line up (and for added redundancy)
the joint where the vertical and horizontal bar meet is covered in gaffers tape (better for hinges than duct tape). This is not necessary if you cut the pieces right, I just really don't want to open this back up and mess with it, so I used overkill.
also put the trigger in at this point (Ignore the random piece of steel bolted to the trigger. It is left over from the previous trigger setup, and is completely irrelevant)

On to the breech, which is actually also the barrel, the dart is shoved into the 17/32 brass that goes to the tank, this holds it in place while you are running around, and the 9/16 barrel. Also about half an inch had to be trimmed from the jam door (but that was probably due to my tank placement)

Posted Image
that is the breech opening/dart holder

Posted Image
Breech open (note the brass barrel coming out of the front)

Posted Image
And closed

Posted Image
That was where the clips went. I completely cut it off, and covered the opening with a piece of steel.

Ranges with normal slugs, not the camo ones here (the camo ones need to be broken in a bit).
It shoots 108 feet +/- 2 feet (that is 8 slugs all within 4 feet of each other)

Link to the video (im not sure how to embed, I seem to remember there being a button, but I can't find it
On a final note, If you think I have completely left major steps out, read Popatachi's post that I linked above, It will probably answer any questions

Edited by zx532, 21 July 2012 - 11:01 AM.

Progress: Just a long line of people saying "See? I told you it could be done"

#2 owmyquach

owmyquach

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

Nice! So I'm assuming since you took out the mag well, you load through the jam door space? Really nice digital stefans too, just diggin the whole thing...can't wait to see ranges and maybe a video?

#3 proplus

proplus

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

I love it, is that the exact homade tank in your topic?

It sorta reminds me of this [topic='Raider - Replaced Internals (mega Missile) - The Mega Raider']http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19961&st=15[/topic]
"the peinus itself is a handle"

- Kane the medeocre

#4 zx532

zx532

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

I love it, is that the exact homade tank in your topic?

It sorta reminds me of this [topic='Raider - Replaced Internals (mega Missile) - The Mega Raider']http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19961&st=15[/topic]

no, like I said, I attempted (and failed at) making a different tank that could be opened. that one actually uses part of the raiders original spring for tension and seal at low pressures (thus the massive overkill)

#5 Pause

Pause

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:20 AM

Amazing! I absolutely love how you did your lever trigger. Simple, but genius! I'm gonna have to do this.
-Pause-

http://nerfpause.blogspot.com/

Heh.

USER WAS BLAND IN THIS POST

#6 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

The tank is simply awesome. However, why did you decide to place the breech loading hole on the right hand side? It would make sense if you are left handed, though it would be awkward for a righty.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#7 zx532

zx532

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

The tank is simply awesome. However, why did you decide to place the breech loading hole on the right hand side? It would make sense if you are left handed, though it would be awkward for a righty.

Aesthetics mostly, the original plan was to reuse the jam door so when the breech was closed so was the door, that didn't work at all so I redesigned the breech (by that point I had already covered up the magazine hole too, so I figured Id just leave it)

It isn't that awkward. the most annoying part is the air hose getting in the way because it couldn't be fit internally.

#8 ShaNayNay

ShaNayNay

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

I really like this idea of making guns such as the raider air powered, nice job on making your own tank and fitting it in cleanly. About a week ago, after looking at either your earlier model or poptatchi's, I had an idea on keeping the gun clip fed but still having it be air powered. It is practically what you have set up now, with a brass breech with the barrel that moves out of the front of the tank and back, but with the magwell and dart tooth flipped. The dart tooth would be located in the section of brass barrel between the tank and the chamber (behind the dart). Since I don't yet have a raider, from your experience with this gun do you think that doing something like this would be possible?

New Jersey is fuckin weird

#9 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

I really like this idea of making guns such as the raider air powered, nice job on making your own tank and fitting it in cleanly. About a week ago, after looking at either your earlier model or poptatchi's, I had an idea on keeping the gun clip fed but still having it be air powered. It is practically what you have set up now, with a brass breech with the barrel that moves out of the front of the tank and back, but with the magwell and dart tooth flipped. The dart tooth would be located in the section of brass barrel between the tank and the chamber (behind the dart). Since I don't yet have a raider, from your experience with this gun do you think that doing something like this would be possible?

I did something like this with a AT. It had a 3k tank and bored-out cpvc breech. I made it use stock clips, with stefans. The only thing that was a problem was the forward-then-back primming motion, wich was slightly awkward.

On topic: Great mod! I really like how you made your own tank, and the trigger system is awesome! How is the overall seal of the tank? can it hold air for extended amounts of time?
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#10 zx532

zx532

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Not sure I understand you right. You are either trying to do this which would be quite simple a similar example (not a raider) is here

Or you are trying to reverse it so the jam door becomes the magwell (if that is the case, it should still be doable with a bit of ingenuity, and I definitely want to see pics)

On topic: Great mod! I really like how you made your own tank, and the trigger system is awesome! How is the overall seal of the tank? can it hold air for extended amounts of time?

Yeah, the tank seals perfectly for extended periods of time. I haven't tested it longer than 5 minutes, but there was still air left in at the end of the test. (but then again, it had better. like I said, the return spring in the tank is the raider main spring, thus the source of the super hard trigger pull)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users