Photo

Epic Summer War Part 4

Holy Fucking Ass Crackers! Its here again!

40 replies to this topic

#1 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:16 AM

Its time for part 4 of the Effeminate Summer series.

When: July 17 ( Saturday )

Where: MerryMoore Park

Meeting Place: Windmill area

Start time: 10:00

Rules:

Eye protection is mandatory
No Head shots
No singled titans
No pump plugged BBBB/Lbb/Spy Gear Launcher with single barrel
No blaster that can go over 150'

Game types:

Death Match
Zombies
Medic
NF push
CTF
Pistol Round
Ammo Depot
Civil War
Pimp
And any other game types you guys would like to try

Attendees

Dayko + 1
TantumBull
Flaming Hilt

Maybes

Would any one care to join me for some acts of randomness?

Edited by Dayko, 09 July 2010 - 12:08 AM.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#2 nisaburo

nisaburo

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:31 AM

I'll put in my request for time off tomorrow!

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:40 AM

I'll most likely be there. Also, I'm definitely going to bring some method of random team picking because using captains tends to make teams that are always similar.

Also, I'd love to see more TDM, TDM with >2 teams, and medic at this next war. Those were by far my fav game types.

#4 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

I'm my usual 'definite maybe'.

Meeting at the picnic table next to the parking lot near the Windmill, right?

Oh, do we have pics from the previous Effeminate yet?

===

Edit: I saw VACC suggested another war state what diameter foam they were using.

In the last Effeminate, Dayko's loaner darts were snug in CPVC, airgun in PVC. Some people were using ModMan red foam which was a little too snug in CPVC for my taste. I don't think anyone was shooting megas (5/8").

Anyone have any more Battlemax Sceptors for sale?

Edited by taerKitty, 30 June 2010 - 01:10 PM.

Fugly is a feature.

#5 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

I'm my usual 'definite maybe'.

Meeting at the picnic table next to the parking lot near the Windmill, right?

Oh, do we have pics from the previous Effeminate yet?

===

Edit: I saw VACC suggested another war state what diameter foam they were using.

In the last Effeminate, Dayko's loaner darts were snug in CPVC, airgun in PVC. Some people were using ModMan red foam which was a little too snug in CPVC for my taste. I don't think anyone was shooting megas (5/8").

Anyone have any more Battlemax Sceptors for sale?

Bob is selling some on NerfRevolution.

I wouldn't put me down for anything just yet, I was planning my birthday the night before, so eh. I don't know if I'll change the day of that or anything. I'll let you know come next week probably.

Edited by Broderick, 30 June 2010 - 02:02 PM.

#6 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

Yes, but he's selling them for what I can buy them for on Amazon.com, and has to add shipping on top of that. I was hoping someone locally found some at a Tuesday Morning or somesuch so I could get away with the same amount TantumBull did last time for one.

Or are we going to let him be the only person on the field with one of these suckers this time around? :P
Fugly is a feature.

#7 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

Yes, but he's selling them for what I can buy them for on Amazon.com, and has to add shipping on top of that. I was hoping someone locally found some at a Tuesday Morning or somesuch so I could get away with the same amount TantumBull did last time for one.

Or are we going to let him be the only person on the field with one of these suckers this time around? :D

I won't hesitate to put it down if anyone on the field complains or isn't having a good time as a result of it. Also, all priming/pumping/pressurizing will be done during the round, ie no HPA/CO2 tanks. There will however be an external tanks expansion :D .

Brent, dude, you gave me a killer deal on the blaster. A bit too killer. I feel bad. Can I give you another 5 bucks when you bring the pump handle?

#8 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

Or are we going to let him be the only person on the field with one of these suckers this time around? :D

I have a Tuesday Morning store within skateboarding distance... I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment though, so when I get some more I'll go check.
Anyway, I'm gonna stop posting until I have a reason to, like confirming I'll be there. :X

Edited by Broderick, 30 June 2010 - 06:29 PM.

#9 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

I won't hesitate to put it down if anyone on the field complains or isn't having a good time as a result of it.

No blaster euthanasia! :)

Also, all priming/pumping/pressurizing will be done during the round, ie no HPA/CO2 tanks. There will however be an external tanks expansion :D .

See, this is what I knew I could count on - TantumBull will turn it into some monstrosity. I'm looking forward to it, actually.

Brent, dude, you gave me a killer deal on the blaster. A bit too killer. I feel bad. Can I give you another 5 bucks when you bring the pump handle?

You should ask him after you pwnzer him with it first. ;)

I look forward to attending these foamfests in large part to see what craziness people have cooked up. I'm sure that BattleMax will be something gape-worthy.
Fugly is a feature.

#10 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

I look forward to attending these foamfests in large part to see what craziness people have cooked up.

This is a big part of the reason I like nerf wars as well. I think we need to take a note from the U3 and setup some mod parties.

#11 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:45 PM

I just updated the first post. I can't wait to see the scepter in action, should be pretty interesting.

#12 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

Not that I have ballguns, but last year at Marymoor, we had a ballgun round.

Some of those huge bin-o-Blasters could be good for CTF (emptied, of course). It'd make for team play - those things are so bulky the carrier would have to have someone else laying down cover fire.

Is there any way to make those foam melee weapons tossable? Maybe by wetting them down?

It's late, and I'm randomating...
Fugly is a feature.

#13 nisaburo

nisaburo

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:11 AM

Tantum, I won't say no to another $5. I gave him a good deal on it for the exact reason that I knew something good would come from getting it into the community. I would be down for a mod party if we could figure out a place.

Also, I had an idea that I wanted to run by everyone at the last war but forgot. What would people say to a WA mod contest? I would be willing to offer a prize of some sort to the winner but its mostly to promote continued innovation at these wars. I was picturing setting a deadline of one of these wars and then having people there vote on innovation, war practicality and aesthetics/cleanliness. Can't vote for your own blaster and can only enter one blaster per contest. Would people be interested?

#14 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:29 AM

What would people say to a WA mod contest? I would be willing to offer a prize of some sort to the winner but its mostly to promote continued innovation at these wars. I was picturing setting a deadline of one of these wars and then having people there vote on innovation, war practicality and aesthetics/cleanliness. Can't vote for your own blaster and can only enter one blaster per contest. Would people be interested?

I'm in. Could we make it a 'pool prize' sort of thing? Have a nominal entry fee ($5?). Contestants commit to entering beforehand (and if you flake on the war, you forfeit, but are still on the hook for the fee.)

The catch is that the winner must spend the money on something related to modding - tools, stock blasters, partz from others, or raw materials. Then, the next war, the winner shows off the 'prize'. (Or, if it's too late in the season, in the PJ thread.)

As for scoring, how about top three for each criteria, with #1 in each category getting 3 points, #2 2 pts, etc. Yes, this means people will probably award the same blaster(s) points in multiple categories, but I think I'll have an easier time rating based on individual qualities than just nominating one that is 'best overall.'

Oh, can we include homebrews in there? Darth F's uber-secret pump-action is too clean to not qualify, as was Tantum's tooth-eating Snap.

Lastly, can I suggest that it has to be something that was modded / created / updated since the last war, so the same blaster can't be re-re-re-entered?

Edited by taerKitty, 01 July 2010 - 01:32 AM.

Fugly is a feature.

#15 tuna the fish

tuna the fish

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:48 AM

i'm in on the mod contest. also, at toys R us they sell melee weapons like those but made out of slightly denser foam. i tested it out and they can be thrown pretty well.

#16 Darth Freyr

Darth Freyr

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

I love the idea of setting up some mod parties and having a mod contest in the Washington area. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this war or anything planned before it, as I am going to be out of the country.
Please email me rather than sending a PM. I am DarthFreyr at gmail dot com

#17 nisaburo

nisaburo

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

I'm very open to suggestions for the format of the contest, I just wanted to get the ball rolling on it. I think we should hammer out the details here and maybe in the IRC and then formally introduce the contest at the next war to take place at the war after that. Unless people feel like we can get everything figured out earlier.

EDIT: A lot of people at work have already requested the 17th off so I won't be able to make this one... <_<

Edited by nisaburo, 02 July 2010 - 09:23 PM.

#18 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:32 AM

I really like the idea of a WA mod contest. We definitely should talk about this more. I think we should hammer out the details here and at the war and then start the contest on the 5th Effeminate Summer war and end it on the 7th? That way we have two full wars of judging the blasters. The categories should probably be something on the lines of this:

Functionality

Cleanliness/ Cosmetics

Ease of replicating

Each of the categories would be judged from 1-3 ( 3 being the highest ) and you can't judge your own blaster entry.
Also homemades would be allowed to enter the contest.
What does everyone think of this?

#19 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:44 AM

How about this - I'll leave the prize for another thread, but propose the following:

After lunch (assuming Subway doesn't take an hour like last time), we vote via secret ballot for top the three entries in each of three categories: war practicality, looks, and 'contribution to the NIC' (to include Dayko's suggestion of replicability and nisaburo's suggestion of innovation.)
  • Only stuff that you made since the last war is eligible. The same kick-ass blaster should not win war after war.

• 'Made' is subjective - if you integrate another blaster onto your already-modded blaster, is that 'made'? (It's 'made' in my eyes.) Rather than try to split this hair, specify what you did, and those voting will silently disqualify it if it's not 'made' enough for them.

• Each Nerfsmith enters only one item. No, your friends cannot enter a blaster you loaned them.

• An entry is anything you want to enter. If you feel like entering nicely painted stefans, or a new magazine system, or a killer +bow, go for it. Remember, you get to enter only one thing, and it'll be judged across all three categories.

• For the war-practicality and contribution to NIC categories, a short (1-2 minutes per entrant) demo can take place before voting. For the aesthetics category, leave the entries on the table for all and sundry to admire.

• Your #1 vote-getter for the category gets 3 points.

• Your #2 vote-getter in the category gets 2 points.

• Your #3 vote-getter in the category gets 1 point.

• Like what defines 'made', 'Good', 'better', and 'best' is wholly up to the eye of the ballot-holder.

• You can't vote for your own entry. 'Own' in this case is 'who made it/modded it.' If multiple people had a part, you're all blocked from voting for it.

• You can vote for the same entry in multiple categories.

• You cannot vote for the same entry multiple times in the same category. 3 points is the max any one entry can get from a single person in a given category.

• No ties, no half points, etc.

• Ties in each category will be subject to another vote (probably after the first post-lunch round.) This is only if the winners don't want to share the crown.

• I personally don't care for 'best in show' or some other overall vote, but if others feel strongly, we can have one final ballot for the best out of the winners in each category. I suspect it will simply break down into 'how many people value a good PJ over an innovative idea over solid implementation of a tried-and-tested design" etc. I suggest we don't just use the top score, because if there are fewer entries in a given category, they will accrue more points simply because the field is smaller and judges have less choices to choose between.
I'm not offering this as the solution, just a suggestion. If you want to change a rule, say so. Ditch this format entirely and do something else, fire away. Use different categories, speak up. I'll suggest we keep the category count to something manageable, though. It's Dayko's war (and Nisaburo's idea, but he can't make it, sooooo...) Dayko gets final say on how this is going to go down.

Also, while I suggested 'entry fee as prize' previously, I'm not including it in this discussion - this is only how we'll vote. We can talk about 'who can vote' and 'what's the prize' later.

I always travel with sheets of paper (I'm a habitual origami folder) and pens, so we I can 'run' the vote if no one else wants to.

Edited by taerKitty, 03 July 2010 - 11:21 AM.

Fugly is a feature.

#20 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

Hmm, I don't think I'm going to make this one guys. I'm trying to plan a small party for my birthday the night before since Inception comes out that night, and eh. Just seems like a lot of hassle when I know there's going to be another one shortly after, and I've been to so many already. :D
It'll give me time to work on some mods.

Edited by Broderick, 04 July 2010 - 05:21 PM.

#21 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

Should we start seeing who's up for EffeminateV? The 17th seems to fall on a particularly bad day for a lot of people. Either that, or Dayko and I will have a sneak preview of the Battlemax.

In general, I can do Saturdays, but with at least two weeks' notice.
Fugly is a feature.

#22 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:02 PM

I'm leaving for Germany on the 20th for two weeks, so I'm obviously out for any wars that take place during then.

#23 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:54 AM

I'm still game for nerfing on the 17. I can't wait to see that scepter in action. That's a good idea taer, I'll post up the topic tomorrow for the 5th Effeminate Summer War.

#24 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

I'm still a definite maybe, but am looking forward to being nailed by the Battlemax. :blink:

Seeing at this may be a smaller headcount, what games work better with less people?
Fugly is a feature.

#25 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:27 AM

I'm still a definite maybe, but am looking forward to being nailed by the Battlemax. :P

Seeing at this may be a smaller headcount, what games work better with less people?

There's still death match and pistol rounds are pretty fun. I think free for all will probably be the best game maybe. Either way the war is still going to be a blast.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users