Photo

When Do Nerf Blasters Become Too Powerful?

Nerf arms race

52 replies to this topic

#51 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:52 AM

It's been said before, but I think it bears repeating. Blasters become too powerful when everyone stops having fun and nerf wars turn into ridiculous standoffs. I haven't been too active on the war front since early summer, but even at that point we were beginning to run into the "people taking potshots at 90 feet" kind of gameplay.
Since then things on NH definitely have a sort of vibe of an "arms race"as you put it.

The biggest problem I had was people using stefens and high powered blasters in a zombie round. Its bad enough when you have someone shooting you from 90ft when you have a 70ft weapon, but unless im going to smack you with my penis even a doubleshot has enough range for a zombie round.
Im all for the standoffs, anyone who nerfs with me will know that no matter what kind of position you find, eventually Im going to tag you from some cheap angle or lucky shot and take your campsite while you are counting. Having one or two really kick ass blasters on the field is always a challenge to me, I always try to build for midrage and high rof but Ive built about every variation you can imagine for testing and fun.

I think limiting stefens to 2 bbs or even 1 or CS style darts all 1.5in or more would go a long way to shutting down the really powerful blasters. Im all for more stock dart rounds and I would like to see missiles, rockets and ballistic balls on the field.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#52 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

It's been said before, but I think it bears repeating. Blasters become too powerful when everyone stops having fun and nerf wars turn into ridiculous standoffs. I haven't been too active on the war front since early summer, but even at that point we were beginning to run into the "people taking potshots at 90 feet" kind of gameplay.
Since then things on NH definitely have a sort of vibe of an "arms race"as you put it.

It seems that there has been a bit of a nerf paradigm shift, but perhaps not in modification only. Just the fact that I'm beginning to notice more talk about teams dominating wars has me thinking that the general attitude has changed too. The old style of "I don't care who is on my team, I want to nerf" seems to be replaced with "how many +bows can we stack on this team?" I don't think we can really employ any of the "fixes" that have been mentioned because people are going to resist changes that invalidate what blasters/darts they use now. I'm not sure that there is much we can do to combat all this besides encouraging attitudes and behaviors that shift gameplay back towards an emphasis on goofy foam flinging fun.

I've been helping moderate the Ohio University HVZ game (which is going on right now) and we're encountering some of the same kind of attitudes. People are hellbent on winning and will do anything they can to stack it in their favor. I wonder if this whole issue is more about a cultural shift than anything specific to nerf, but that question is way beyond the scope of this particular discussion.

Personally, I think I'm done with my +bow. Much like Dizzy, I'd like to test out my stinging scarab or spend a few rounds reacquainting myself with my powerclip.

I completely agree with this post. There's gonna be some changes coming and it's gonna piss alot of people off, but the people who are gonna be pissed off are not the ones I want to play with anyway.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#53 CA13

CA13

Nude Nerfer

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:03 PM

Jedi is right. Any weapons that don't require maneuvers in order to reach effective range should be the stupid ones. I decided to do a Crossfire/scout like mod on my LSFG, and then gave the thing a sweet inline. Now, 45 feet max and 25 feet effective range may not be much, but it's fun as hell.
Doing this as I speak. I have no idea when I got it...my DAD got it some 15 years ago, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, it keeps jerking around all over the place. I try to hold it with a rag...It doesn't look like...much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users