64 replies to this topic

#26 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

Change my maybe to a no...too much family stuff going on right now.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#27 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:48 AM

Thats a bummer, Carbon. Hopefully you'll be able to come out to the next CHICAGO! War!

#28 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts
  • State:California

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:38 AM

Just like that, there's a zero percent chance I'll be able to make this one. Sorry guys. Hope it's cool without me.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#29 Snake51886

Snake51886

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

[Here's what you shouldn't bring:
- The same rules apply here as they have in the past. If you don't know by now check the other CS threads or PM me.
- Hopper Clips are officially banned
- If you shoot someone with a 100ft+ gun at <20ft, you take a hit as well

After much discussion on safety and whatnot, here's the new bans and rules. See everyone Saturday!

EDIT: 20 feet is the new minimum

Edited by Snake51886, 09 November 2009 - 07:46 PM.

#30 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

The war is TOMORROW! Get your darts ready and your guns set! See ya'll at the mod party.

#31 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:22 PM

WAR PICTURES!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
diddle 3K
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Merzlin, 14 November 2009 - 10:29 PM.

#32 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:32 PM

More.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for letting me use your XBOW snake!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Unholy Three! + Daniel Scogglestein
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:45 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

LOLWUT
Posted Image

UH OH. Going down!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:49 PM

Team BBBB :P
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The-Vulcan-That-Actually-Fires
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:52 PM

Posted Image
That's all of em folks! Hope you enjoy! I'd enjoy feedback on the pictures, but overall I feel they suffice quite nicely

#38 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts
  • State:Illinois

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:03 PM

Dude, awesome pictures. Tell your Aunt, who I believe you said took to pictures, thanks. Also, make sure to upload them to the ning. I'll post my DTC footage after I get home from work.

Edited by Ryan201821, 14 November 2009 - 11:03 PM.

#39 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

Heh, I will. Thanks! I can't wait to see that footage

#40 Snake51886

Snake51886

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

Big thanks to everyone for coming out to the war! We had 16 at the high point of the day! Before I go any further I’d like to apologize to everyone. As host, it’s my job to ensure that everyone has a safe, fun time. Many of you have talked and pm’ed me telling me how you felt. I agree with everyone who spoke with me that this war wasn’t a very memorable one.

The “Unholy Three” proved that Nerf guns can become too powerful and unfair. Speaking with an anonymous person they said, “You saw it, the "unholy 3" really fucking dominated the playing field with their diddle guns and their insignificant use of politeness and courtesy.” That pretty much sums up how I feel as well. Unsafe Nerfing was capped off by a plethora of head shots. Whether they were caused by the insane power of the guns causing the darts to lift as they come out or specifically aiming for them, they need to be avoided. To count them up: 3 on me, 2-3 on Merz, 3 on Bunstock, plus the others that happened to everyone else.

Additionally, in any round where they weren’t on the same team, they ended up together by the end of the round; specifically wingman and multi-team deathmatch. Besides ignoring the separate team rules, they spent the round of tpb camping together in the middle by the buckets. Between 2 guns that hit 130+, and rear loading the team I was on felt hopeless and gave up…at which point U3 still were tempted to shoot at us as we sat in the staging area.

The Doomsayer was deemed very effective and “unfair” according to many. The U3’s air guns make the Doomsayer look like a joke. Ryan’s 3k alone is easily used by anyone who can pump a gun unlike the power needed to prime a spring-ed up Doomsayer. I was informed toward the end of the day that Zorn’s 4B had a bicycle pump replacement. Since bicycle pumps don’t have an OPRV, it was a plugged and singled 4B…which we ban… Why did the U3 feel it was safe to use?

Could it be that we have hit the point where we feel comfortable enough with each other to not apologize and make sure someone is ok after a headshot? Do we enjoy seeing our “friends” get hit in the head and dropping to the ground while writhing in pain? I know I don’t…What has it come to with having to “win” the various rounds? What happened to the “I won’t end up using my [insanely powered] gun all day,” that you had told me when I changed the ban? I thought it was about Nerfing and having fun. I gave people the chance to use their latest creations and realize for themselves when things got out of hand. Obviously the U3 did not realize that every round was completely dominated by their guns…not to mention the avoidance of shooting at each other, save the wingman round.

I encourage everyone to post their experiences here and what they would like to see happen in the future. And for the future, any war I host will have bans and restrictions to make sure this NEVER happens again.

#41 bunstock

bunstock

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:59 PM

I completely agree. CB4 was not very fun at all. When i went home i saw that I had 15 or so large welts on my torso, and a couple lumps on my head from the diddle guns. I also noticed that the unholy three always ended up together and winning. Those guns are not safe and make wars not at all fun.
"Don't worry about the cops, they're entertained by what we do." - Snake

#42 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

Edit: I apologize for the tone of this post, because on rereading, it comes off as a major douche move. But I still stand by the content: that Snake's deliberate attack on the "U3" only cannot be true or specific only to us. If he wants to make the argument that we as individuals were what ruined the war in the perspective of others, then his argument boils down to "the U3 are better nerfers." That's not an argument I would make, nor a conclusion I believe with. At the war I mentioned quiet a few people that I was impressed with: they brought their 'A' game and challenged us all as nerfers. The problems Snake talks about are real, true enough. But it is completely unfair for him to peg them on certain people, especially when they're not true. I guess that's what I was trying to say before, but was much more hotheaded about it.

---

I was informed toward the end of the day that Zorn’s 4B had a bicycle pump replacement. Since bicycle pumps don’t have an OPRV, it was a plugged and singled 4B…which we ban… Why did the U3 feel it was safe to use?

I used my 4B at 6-7 pumps, which is between 20 and 25 PSI. Stock pump goes 13 pumps before OPR kicks in at 25 PSI. I think I had maybe one shot that sounded painful the entire war. It was on LiterSize and I was using my PAS.
On the other hand, Sniperman would take my 4B to more pumps than he could count, camp, and shoot people from close range. Shorts had a 4B with a 2" PVC pipe hard tank expansion.
I used a PAS more than half the time with a 12" CPVC speed loader. Both of you two (Snake, Bunstock) have +bows that use up to 16" barrels and have at least twice the energy due to the draw (and you get more efficiency from long, thin plunger than short, fat plunger). On top of that you throw on RSCBs and inlines to get higher ROF.

Cry more?

Obviously the U3 did not realize that every round was completely dominated by their guns…not to mention the avoidance of shooting at each other, save the wingman round.

Or any round where we weren't on the same team maybe. Like the multi-team deathmatch where you, DemonLord and Tommy all got knocked out and I ended up running around getting shot at by both Zeke and Ryan.

You complain mostly about safety, yet you completely ignore the fact that some people camped out waiting to get close range shots. During the 2 core DTC round I would shout out to people before I shot them if I flanked them and they weren't paying attention. Ryan let me run to 40' before he shot me with his 3k. So safety can't be a real issue.
You complain about us "sticking together" but with 3 people, and usually two teams, it's kind of impossible for that not to happen. There were only two rounds where we were all on the same team and in all the multi-team rounds we were all on separate teams. They were alliances in those rounds but it was Me/Ice9 v Ryan and Ice9/Ryan v Me. At no time were we on separate teams and did U3 v all. Moreover, you say we didn't shoot at each other, but I'm pretty sure I was the one who hit Ryan the most. So clearly "Clan > War" attitude isn't a real issue either.

So what's the real complaint? That we nerf too intensely? Too well? Nerf is a sport and what I look for in a nerf war is high-intensity athletic nerfing. I did at least 15 laps around the playing area during each of the multi-team rounds. So what's going to happen when we're all on BB darts and 10" barrels and this still happens?

I mean, apart from the two ctf rounds where Xavier and I had crazy flag rushes, Ryan's team won every round. How is that any different from any other war Ryan goes to? What's with all the hate on the U3 as if suddenly some silly clan name moves us into the "Trying To Ruin Nerf By Being SniperMan McAirsofter" light?

Maybe we should have round-classifications at the wars. "Nerf is a sport" rounds and "Relax and take a break" rounds. We were the ones to throw around the idea of a stock dart/blowgun round, which you turned down. The only pistols round was when we were at lunch, and it happened to be the one with the severest injury.

Blaster restrictions, barrel length restrictions, and dart weight restrictions are all fine if you must. But the only real whining I see here is "you guys nerf too hard."

Edited by Zorn's Lemma, 17 November 2009 - 12:09 PM.

"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#43 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts
  • State:California

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:15 AM

There were only two rounds where we were all on the same team and in all the multi-team rounds we were all on separate teams.

I'd like to add that we had no input for the DTC and TPB round where we were all on the same team. Your Mob group decided to put yourselves on one end and we were told we were with Demon Lord and the rest. It was entirely in your hands with zero input from us.

All the rape guns we're talking about were at Chano 3. No one complained to any one of us at any time about overpower issues at that war, nor did anyone say anything about not having fun.

No one said anything to us at the war. No one asked us to put down the PAS, the Man Cannon, the 1500, the 3000, or anything else. No one told the people at the beginning of the war about the "shoot at twenty feet or less with a primary means a hit on yourself" rule which I tried to respect by shooting people from farther away than twenty feet. I had people in the morning run away from me as I was inches away from them, trying to be considerate and barrel tap with a gun that shot over one hundred feet. You talk like the three of us came to the war with the single purpose of sticking together and destroying face. This is not even close to the case, as evidenced by the several shots Ryan placed on both me and Zorn, as well as the ones I put on them, and Zorn put on us. You also don't seem to have a power issue with other 4Bs, like the one with the enormous tank expansion that Demon Lord brought.

Don't get me wrong. There were things I would've like to have changed. I got shot from very close with over-powered guns, included once in the scrotum. It was excruciatingly painful. I got back up and continued to Nerf. I went home with welts. But, at the same time, I didn't go to this war expecting to get tickled by anything that hit me. I didn't arrive thinking that I wouldn't take a single shot that wouldn't sting. That would have been unrealistic for me, and it would've been unrealistic for everyone.

Speaking with an anonymous person they said, “You saw it, the "unholy 3" really fucking dominated the playing field with their rape guns and their insignificant use of politeness and courtesy.”

[I]n any round where they weren’t on the same team, they ended up together by the end of the round[.]

Besides ignoring the separate team rules, they spent the round of tpb camping together in the middle by the buckets. Between 2 guns that hit 130+, and rear loading the team I was on felt hopeless and gave up…at which point U3 still were tempted to shoot at us as we sat in the staging area.

Why did the U3 feel it was safe to use?

Could it be that we have hit the point where we feel comfortable enough with each other to not apologize and make sure someone is ok after a headshot?

[N]ot to mention the avoidance of shooting at each other, save the wingman round.

Their insignificant use of politeness and courtesy? Excuse me? I apologized almost immediately after any shot that caused a visible reaction in the other person, especially for head shots. I went in for barrel taps as often as I could so I wasn't hitting someone with my Man Cannon at twenty feet. This is more than can be said for some of the people I saw.

I don't know what this "all on the same team" business was. I made a concerted effort during deathmatch rounds to go after Ryan and Zorn as some of my first targets. It made sense from every standpoint you could take. It's fun to shoot at good friends, it's logical to eliminate the biggest threats on the other team, I don't want to be in a situation where they have eliminated my team. I know that I was consistently targeted by both of them, as well. The only real truce I made at any point was the one with Ryan and Merz to eliminate sniperkid at the end of that very long round.

I put the 3000 down at the beginning of TPB and the 1500 down soon after that. I spent time running around with the Maximizer, which certainly shoots less far than both those guns, until I noticed that no one else was playing, at which point I stopped too. What do you expect from us, if you're running around with baseball gloves that count as shields, and swords, while we have guns that we weren't told at any point during the day to put down? I tried my best to keep my shots down and not ruin people, but sometimes I didn't have that opportunity. We're not entirely to blame; you guys put yourself in that situation too.

We felt the 4B, among others, was safe to use because we are responsible people and because it had been through a whole war with no complaints about its power. As Zorn pointed out he kept it to six pumps which is barely more than the stock pump unplugged puts out, which is a tested fact verified at the mod party using a pressure gauge.

As stated before, I did apologize. A lot. I shouted them out to make sure people could hear me. In the same capacity, I like that no one gave a shit when I took my painful shots, and that I was only made fun of (because you all love me) after my painful nutshot. Because, you know, that definitely doesn't count in this category.

Please see above for this to be addressed.

All in all, I'm going to say the same thing I said in the IRC. This is going to turn into the three of us calling you hypocritical whiners, and you calling us dicks. It's not my favorite outcome, but the most likely considering the track record and what I know from our opinions. I'm all for fixing these problems but it's certainly a problem that does NOT singly rest on the shoulders of the U3. You guys should recognize that if you're going to fault us you have to fault yourselves, and the solution should not only be that we are effectively banned (not allowed to be on each others' teams, not allowed to use our guns, not allowed to selectively shoot anyone but each other) but that the rules get changed so that all of the problems get addressed.

Finally, I'd like to point out that at least two-thirds of the war participants have access to guns that break one hundred feet no problem, be it +bows, Big Blasts, or various other guns. At the same time, some people run around with melee weapons. Do you really expect that to end well? When one person has a weapon that has a maximum effective range of five feet and the other has one that exceeds one hundred feet?

Edited by Ice Nine, 16 November 2009 - 03:39 AM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#44 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:22 AM

My views of this are directly the same as Kelvin and Zeke stated. There are a couple things I'd like to add.

Brian, I'm really surprised to hear what awful words you have for our clan, and me as your friend. Mentioning that we have no consideration for the safety of other people is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. As both Zeke and Kelvin stated, I apologized for any shots that caused considerable pain to the opponent. I sincerely said I was sorry for all of those. And I apologize again. I do not mean to harm people. I do not want to harm people. I never shot anyone that wasn't paying attention to me. I don't know where you get this assumption that it's our mission to intentionally hurt people. In my eyes, I am friends with everyone out there and I try to be as friendly as possible. I love nerfing to meet new people and create new friends. How would I go about doing that if I intentionally trying to make people bleed. Headshots do happen. I was shot a few times in the head on Saturday. I'm sure everyone was. They are totally unintentional.

Oh, and weren't you the one running pools on first head shot on blank/blank? Yeah, I think you just contradicted yourself.

In fact, we believe we can use these blasters because we feel that we can use them appropriately as opposed to other people such as Sniperman, and others I would not like to mention names of. I didn't ever shoot anyone within 50' at maximum pumps. I lot of the shots that were 30-60 feet were with four or five pumps. On the other hand, I lot of people had shots at me from much closer than that distance (not mentioning names) from point blank ranges.

The notion that we never tried to shoot each other is also you talking out of your ass. When every round was started, I deliberately went after Zeke and Kelvin. I viewed them as the other team's biggest threat, and made sure to eliminate them. If I wanted to be trigger happy, I would just sit in a tree all day and shoot people. I run around the field a lot and play the game too intense I guess. Maybe your view of a Nerf war is standing around and playing patty-cake. Yeah, sure there are potshots all the time. There has always been that. But I'm never in one place too long until I'm making my next move, unless I'm pinned down.

You're not a good war host. You tell us we are so out of line with these diddle guns, yet you are using a +bow with a 16" speed loader. That's going to out range any of my diddle guns. And I also believe bunstock, Merzlin, Litersize and Tommy were using +bows as well. I didn't even use my +bow until the last half of the last round after I was being the goalkeeper. And I can assure you that I will hit people just as much with it than these diddle guns.

You'd really have to beg me to come to another Nerf war hosted by yourself.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Ryan201821, 16 November 2009 - 02:24 AM.

#45 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:00 AM

I wasn't there. I can't vouch for either side. But frankly, I think this is ridiculous.

If you want to accomplish something, such as change some rules for the nerfers in your area, Snake51886, you went about it the wrong way.

Singling out three people and the reckless way that you believe they were playing on a certain day will do (and has done) only one thing: alienate them from your event. You chose three very bad people to alienate, because in this particular hobby, there are people with a fair bit of notoriety in several parts of the country that have a certain draw at events. If they come, more people will want to because they believe it will be a quality event. Now, you have the three highest-draw people in the Chicago area no longer wishing to come to one of your events because you have personally attacked their ethics on the playing field. Not a smart move.

If you had, instead, asked if anyone else noticed the overall overpowered-ness of the blasters being used throughout the day (as the pictures show, there were quite a few 4b's, +bows and the like going around, and they were NOT in Ryan, Zeke, or Zorn's hands) it could have become a healthy discussion to try to solve the problem. Instead, you've pissed off some popular Nerfers, and caused a rift in the Chicago area. You've forced people to take sides even if they didn't want to (and who would?) and that's going to cause some damage.

Down in Southern California, we have had issues with over-saturation of powerful blasters. We've brought the issue up in private conversation with a few of us, discussed it, and decided to post a thread suggesting to our community that we cut down on the range, because it was ruining the game for us. Variety is what has always made nerf so fun, but at that point, all of our awesome war locations weren't being used to their full potential because no one was running, rushing, or otherwise utilizing the cover. Everyone was standing out in the fields taking pot shots, and it wasn't fun. So we found a solution, implemented it, and, for the most part, everyone gracefully acknowledged the change and followed. No feelings got hurt, no bridges were burnt, and wars are as fun as ever down there.

I think your rant was assembled without thinking in advance. I, like many, have made my fair share of posts like that, and I have regretted many of them. I daresay there are people involved in nerfing that really don't like me because of them, and I'm really sorry for it. But I can't take any of it back; I can only do what I can to mend things as best as I can so we can concentrate on having fun instead of drama, because this isn't about drama, this is about foam. None of the three who posted before me can be faulted for responding the way they did, because that's what you asked for. I can't see anything you've said about Zeke and Ryan being true because I've nerfed with them myself, and both of their Plusbows are plenty dodgeable, so I don't really see a problem, but there is more than just gun power that is up for debate right now, and again, I wasn't there.

I think the best thing that ALL of you can do is set up a discussion in your Ning, decide what you think should be reasonable, and go from there. Perhaps some apologies are also in order, on both ends of the discussion. Just don't discuss it here, because public forums tend to magically bring out irrational posts. Let's see if we can't make this into a pleasant recap thread again, because there ARE plenty of things to recap here...for example the fact that there was someone using an RSCB'ed original Bow 'n' Arrow at this event, which is Effeminate as hell...

Edited by Falcon, 16 November 2009 - 03:10 AM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#46 Demon Lord

Demon Lord

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:18 AM

Time for my opinion:
The U3 has some nice guns. I have some nice guns. Ace has the best Vulcan I've ever seen (It actually works!). My roommate Shorts has a 4B with an extended tank to try and outrange +bows. What's the main difference? Skill. I'm no good at long range, Shorts has issues at mid-range, Ace dominates at dart storms and the U3 are just good. The guns help don't get me wrong but when you know what you are doing modding wise and spend hours on a gun the finished product will be good and awesome. Just like Short's 4B. He spent hours building that MASS system and fixing leaks and as a result he's got something that will stand up to everything on the field. I'm more than happy to run around and act as a target for someone who wants to get practice at hitting moving targets, but no one has asked yet.
Here's the deal with welts. Its the domes on the stefans. Simple physics states that the pressure forced on the dart when fired will be concentrated on the smallest point on the dart head. In the case of a dome the point is infinitely small thus causing damage more akin to a bullet than a padded round. The hot glue when dried is a similar consistency to a police non lethal round than something that shouldn't hurt as badly as they do. Slug darts and darts with no domes on the otherhand distribute all of that force on the flat diameter of the whole dart, thus hurting less if at all. That's the problem with the guns, not the gun itself but the dart.
Switching to Slug darts or flat tip darts that are felt tipped but weighted differently we'd be able to eliminate most of the injuries. As for the headshots/nutshots, they are going to happen, just like in any sport. The wind will catch the darts or someone's aim will not be true, etc. They happen. If people are worried wear cups and paintball mask.
Overall I had fun that day hope to repeat it during the winter. I just hope it continues.

EDIT: To address Falcon, I was the one using the RSCB'd Bow N' Arrow. It's broken in all three wars I've been to. I have even MORE major reinforcement to do on the handle, which snapped again on me.

To recap the highlights:
- 2 core DtC is awesomely fun
- Teamwork was at an all time high in the team rounds
- Decimating the pistol rounds
- Memorable CtF rounds, those electronic flags are cool!
- My Bow N' Arrow breaking...AGAIN
- My brand new Nitefinder working well
- Crashes and spills galore!
- Despite the perceived unfairness of the U3, still having tons of fun

Edited by Demon Lord, 16 November 2009 - 04:07 AM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Mar 7 2011, 09:03 AM) View Post

Don't worry so much about what other people will allow. Throw your own wars and kick your friends' asses until they all want one.

#47 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:09 AM

Bunstock, hope you're doing ok.

What's to say that if Snake or anyone else said something at the time you guys wouldn't have reacted just like this at the war, ending in Ice9's scenario of whiners vs. dicks? My thinking would be to gather some intel from other attendees, sit on personal biases at first to make sure it wasn't just me. This is what Snake came up with apparently as he did talk to other attendees. To his credit, he is accepting some culpability. What killed the fun looked like every time a round was over, who was on the winning side? U3 or some derivation. Team picking? I'm not quite sure how those last few teams happened, honestly. I looked at my team the last couple of rounds and there was the U3 on the other side.

For the record, I used my +bow one round. Otherwise, I slow down with long range and hate playing like that. DtC saw me with a Raider and a Marauder. Once in awhile, the tennis racket. That's my decision and I know what to expect. I was a goalie in TPB, so I couldn't be on the receiving end of trying to cross midfield. But apparently it was problematic to say the least. Hell, I didn't even realize what was going on until my team went off to the side to do other things. What happened was they couldn't advance, as they were getting cut down mid-field. On that side, the U3. And who wants to spend 7 hours being on the receiving end of a loss and nothing to show but a shitload of welts? We're not totally competitive, but it still sucks to lose even a little bit. Even moreso when it looks like it happens with the same people winning and even moreso when some people may have gotten hurt more often physically in the process.

High-powered close shots and shots to the head is something that comes up at every war that we've all been to and it's the nature of the beast they happen, but 1 is bad and anything more than that from a high-powered anything is asking too much for anyone looking for a fun day out to take. Suck it up? Maybe. Should they have to suck it up after intense discussion and a seeming compromise was reached to accomodate all parties? It's a grey area there. What it looks like happened is Snake thought he was getting one brand of coffee, and the U3 who had the high-powered blasters brought something else, or Snake got coffee that wasn't what he expected. And the U3 feel the coffee order wasn't clarified. And then the U3 took the coffee, donuts, and owned face all day. Which to be honest did feel was happening more often than even what we're used to seeing from days nerfing with the U3. Ryan's been shown to be a balance tipper before, this time around just seemed... more apparent. Either way, the fun factor did get killed for some people.

It's also easy to say on one side "We did this and this," and the other to say, "No, you didn't." It's dependent on what side of the grass you're on. Zorn, I did hear you apologize for gettin' me that close, though I'm melodramatic about that kinda stuff apparently. And I've taken my fair share of bad shots, that definitely felt like one of the worst I've had since Lights-Out. I can't speak for the other instances of nasty shots, but it looks like not everyone felt like they got an apology or some general douchebaggery was the perception. So, what you (the U3) say you did didn't translate to everyone you thought you might have wanted. Not saying you have to say "I'm sorry" after every shot, but something was amiss on one end.

I can't say I had as much fun this time around as I usually did. I literally did ask, 'What are we doing wrong here?" and couldn't find a solution to why my team and I were getting lit up as we were. Poor choice of melee weaponry? I've done it before and been successful running around with melee. Just seemed I couldn't get anything better going on. Better ROF so my dodging isn't as sufficient? Maybe. Is the U3 on one team nutty? Hell yes. Do I have a ready solution and should they mod guns under their skill level? From what I can tell they don't really use anything <100 feet which can be problematic at closer ranges, but that's something we're going to have to work on. As well as figure just where in the hell the misunderstandings are happening. I don't want a schism or an alienation within the fledgling community we've got going on. I'll take it to ning from here on out.... or edit my post when it's not almost 4 in the AM and I have got some more coherent thoughts.

Edited by LiterSize, 16 November 2009 - 10:27 AM.

#48 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:16 AM

Overall I had fun that day hope to repeat it during the winter. I just hope it continues.

EDIT: To address Falcon, I was the one using the RSCB'd Bow N' Arrow. It's broken in all three wars I've been to. I have even MORE major reinforcement to do on the handle, which snapped again on me.

To recap the highlights:
- 2 core DtC is awesomely fun
- Teamwork was at an all time high in the team rounds
- Decimating the pistol rounds
- Memorable CtF rounds, those electronic flags are cool!
- My Bow N' Arrow breaking...AGAIN
- My brand new Nitefinder working well
- Crashes and spills galore!
- Despite the perceived unfairness of the U3, still having tons of fun

I thought it was a good war too.

Highlights:
- 2 core DTC
- Mad flag rushes during CTF
- Interesting array of cover. The obstacles didn't really work but the sheets + line + trees were awesome.
- Man Cannon mod failing because I cut half of one thing and forgot to cut something else
- Going to bed before sunrise
- 4-20 wingman... lasted forever. I did so much running (away from Ryan) that round
- Merz's wet dream
- Teabag dancing during TPB
- SNIPERMAN
- Short's shotgun attachment
- Getting hit in the leg a craplad this war... maybe I should jump instead of duck
- Only getting hit in the side by Tommy a few times instead of every 5 minutes at Chano2.5
- Only 1 red mark (no welts!)
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#49 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:40 AM

I wasn't there. I can't vouch for either side.

And yet...that post goes on for 5 more paragraphs.

A war organizer should really be able to discuss his grievances with an attendee regardless of that nerfer's "notoriety". This is something I think they can handle themeselves.

#50 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

You're right. A host should be able to discuss issues with people, and I didn't intend to suggest he wasn't allowed to because they're well-known. Personally questioning someone's presence or lack of assholish-ness on the field pisses people off no matter how long they've been nerfing. But discussing the issues is how wars become better events, so these things have to be discussed. However, the way it was addressed was, in my mind, the wrong way to go about doing things. Now in your mind, telling everyone to shape up and do things the way you want them to or they're not welcome may work, but that's now how I prefer to run things. Not a shot at you; just a simple observation. It may work when the problem is simply a matter of whether or not a gun is banned, but the bigger issue here is player ethics, not gun power. I'd rather not lose players over problems like these, even in Chicago, and that's exactly where this discussion appeared to be headed.

Edited by Falcon, 16 November 2009 - 10:30 AM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users