34th Light Combat Battalion Recruiting

WSP, SSP, IGH, Mendota, St. Paul...etc.

54 replies to this topic

#26 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

Interesting fact here I thought I'd throw in: A stefan fired from a plugged, singled titan at maximum force has comparable muzzle velocity to a 40mm Airfoil round, and they both sting at close range.

Which is why they are almost universally banned from the nerf wars organized on these forums.

Why, yes, I understand that.
OIC of 34th Light Combat Battalion, Talk to me about enlistment.

#27 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

As long as you don't show up to the same MN war as me in full camo, I'll be happy to hit you guys in the neck a few times.

Camo in the Nerf world equates to a giant sign that says "SHOOT AT ME"

Only if they can see where you are. I realize, in wide-range wars, camouflage definitely has it's use, but not as practical in constant-contact engagements, where both sides are in plain view of the other team ninety-nine percent of the time, whereas the camouflage serves as more of a team uniform.

#28 Disturbed

Disturbed

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

Sure, everyone says nerf shouldnt be Mil-Sim, but its not an established rule. If you like how you can customize a nerf gun, and you'd rather use military tactics, I think thats OK. Just cause you nerf doesn't mean you can't take it seriously. Same goes for airsoft.

Anyways, It would be pretty awesome to take out a team with military tactics. It may not seem badass to the losers, but it will to the winners.
If you nerf in Washington, I am a host of SANO, Seattle Area Nerf Out. PM me, would love to add you to the Washington nerf crew.

#29 MegaMoose

MegaMoose

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:34 PM

I think he's refering to police wanting to shoot at you because you are wearing full camo and holding a gun (though it is a toy) in a public area and running around shooting people with it. Not a comforting sight to most people.

I'm also not trying to slam you or be down on your ideas. I respect that your in the military, I just think that that is where it ends. Military does not equal nerf, however much you want it to. I do applaud that you have such a well organized group though, and if what you do works for your group, then keep on doing it.
You don't put a slash in the middle of Ninja, unless you want a Ninja to put the former guitarist of Guns and Roses through your chest, while he is playing Sweet Child of Mine.

#30 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

I don't know why you guys think this is stupid. What an awesome idea! Making a sport that is goofy by nature a military simulation. Hoo-rah!

I can see it now, fresh recruits crawling through the mud under barbed wire, as a realistically painted vulcan spits rounds over their heads. That would be so cool!

Oh, and to make it a bit more of a military themed game, let's all use semi-auto guns capable of ridiculous ranges that run off of HPA tanks! Like this! Hey, and while we're at it, we'll play no respawns and if you get hit you have to lay down the rest of the war! How fun and realistic!

All you naysayers need to stop whining and accept this awesome change! Mil-sim nerf FTW! Hoo-rah! Hoo-rah! Hoo-rah! Hoo-rah! Hoo-rah!

#31 Disturbed

Disturbed

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

I don't know why you guys think this is stupid. What an awesome idea! Making a sport that is goofy by nature a military simulation. Hoo-rah!

I can see it now, fresh recruits crawling through the mud under barbed wire, as a realistically painted vulcan spits rounds over their heads. That would be so cool!

Oh, and to make it a bit more of a military themed game, let's all use semi-auto guns capable of ridiculous ranges that run off of HPA tanks! Like this! Hey, and while we're at it, we'll play no respawns and if you get hit you have to lay down the rest of the war! How fun and realistic!

All you naysayers need to stop whining and accept this awesome change! Mil-sim nerf FTW! Hoo-rah! Hoo-rah! Hoo-rah! Hoo-rah! Hoo-rah!

Are you being serious? the last "All you naysayers need to stop whining and accept this awesome change! Mil-sim nerf FTW!" part is leaning on sarcastic.
If you nerf in Washington, I am a host of SANO, Seattle Area Nerf Out. PM me, would love to add you to the Washington nerf crew.

#32 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

:D

#33 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:46 PM

Are you being serious? the last "All you naysayers need to stop whining and accept this awesome change! Mil-sim nerf FTW!" part is leaning on sarcastic.

*Whoosh*

Getting together with your group to mod together and then train via practice would make a better nerf team than would military style tactics, because nerf is entirely different. You can rush people while they reload in nerf, or try to dodge their shots. Practicing that would make one very good.

Edited by Hipponater, 20 October 2009 - 08:49 PM.

#34 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:02 PM

Okay, what is going on here? I'm one of the few people who actually has met (and warred) with this guy IRL. So, yes, he has been to NIC wars, two of them. He did come in "uniform" though.

Posted Image

I know you all might think this is a bit too Milsim for the kind of nerfing that most of us do, but frankly, this is just how Messiah and his friends choose to enjoy the hobby. Perhaps they chose nerf blasters over airsoft as the format, and why would we blame them for this? So what if it's different? At least they are actually NERFing, something that many of you have made little to no effort to do for yourself. I have come to excuse much of his Military-ness just because he's actually in Military (National Guard, I think). Don't you see Military people in uniform at places you wouldn't expect? So really, we might erotically massage it all, but, I think myself and any of the other Minnesotans who have (and will probably) me(e)t him, will accept it.

Edited by venom213, 20 October 2009 - 09:10 PM.

#35 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

Thank you very much, Venom. Your voice is most welcome.

(Lawdy, that is an old picture...)

Edited by themessiahpsg1, 20 October 2009 - 09:04 PM.

#36 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:45 PM

Is that the picture from the war somebody (I forget who's it is) has a signature about where everybody got owned by the dude in camo with the dual Longshots? Cause that's pretty awesome.

I don't get what all the complaining is about, he's not trying to tell us how to play. I personally think that training as a team will give you an advantage, and we should do some 34th vs. the rest of us matches to test it out.

P.S. Some of us grew up in the days when military surplus was cool and people wore it everywhere. You're not any more likely to get shot by somebody for wearing camo with a nerf gun then without.

P.P.S. Speaking of camo, I nearly made an awesome flag grab last war just by walking really far to the side of everybody while the other team ignored me. Maybe some camo would have let me get by venom at the end as well :P

Edited by VelveetaAvenger, 20 October 2009 - 09:46 PM.

"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#37 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:06 PM

As long as you don't show up to the same MN war as me in full camo, I'll be happy to hit you guys in the neck a few times.

Camo in the Nerf world equates to a giant sign that says "SHOOT AT ME"

Only if they can see where you are. I realize, in wide-range wars, camouflage definitely has it's use, but not as practical in constant-contact engagements, where both sides are in plain view of the other team ninety-nine percent of the time, whereas the camouflage serves as more of a team uniform.

Actually, having a designated battle dress for either everyone, or for teams would make alot of sense. Most people have long hair, and like to wrap flagging tape around their head, so in the end you have to squint to see the little faint patch of neon colors they have. However, if everyone was wearing the same thing, then you could designate a place to show it, and it would eliminate the guess work.

With a deeper inspection, that I think alot of people (even me) missed, you present alot of really solid ideas.

This isn't just about the whole "milsim" aspect, but about "training" as a team. Let's face it. Chano, I did well when I was on Ryan's, Daniel's, or Zorn's team. Why? Because I know what they do, and how they Nerf. Getting to know your team mates is a very important aspect of Nerf, and if it takes hosting Nerf Boot Camp, then so be it. Seriously. You can argue that its the player that makes the gun, or the gun that makes the player, and while relationships with your weapons is important, you will get creamed if you don't know your team mates. I Nerf well on Zach's team, simply because I have been Nerfing for a little under 3 years with him. Knowing your team is important.

Teaching the cover this is also smart. I mean, sure its Nerf, and you can survive in the open, but if you are actively seeking flanks, and cover to out maneuver the oppisite team, your team will win alot faster, or atleast stand a better chance. Getting cornered sucks. Teaching how NOT to corner yourself makes all the sense in the world.

Squad Tactics. Again, same thing. If you all have a "job", then your team will be more effective. Even with weapons, having a mix of different ranges, ROFs and power can make your team function better. If everyone has all longer distance guns, then you can't rush as effectively, so that would eliminate some strategies for certain games.

You know, everyone on here immediately hostile of MilSim, and for good reason. MilSim is often slang for "jerk", but in this situation it makes alot of sense. I know you have military training, but I'm guessing some more war experience would help tailor your teaching abilities. But also, having that base skill set, and going into your first outing with more knowledge, makes alot of sense.

I do wanna see videos of some crazy drill master yelling about Nerf. That would make me laugh.

Edited by BustaNinja, 20 October 2009 - 10:20 PM.

Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#38 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:28 PM

I do wanna see videos of some crazy drill master yelling about Nerf. That would make me laugh.

I think I shall do that next time I visit the PX. lol

#39 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:19 AM

I think Busta kinda nailed it. The argument occuring here is one of terminology, and specific application. Team work in nerf, as well as tactics, are a gigantic help. Milsim may be a bit of a taboo in this community, for good reason, but if that is your way of teaching teamwork, so be it. When you know the capabilities and tendancies of your teammates, you have a big advantage over an opponent lacking that kind of familiarity.

That said, most nerf wars prevent this particular advantage from occuring more than a few times a day. You are not going to have your teammates to rely on more often than not. For that reason, the best nerfers in my experience, and I've been doing this longer than anyone not called Famine, are the nerfers who can bring sound tactics to a team of strangers. Being a good nerfer is mostly about adaptability and understanding the variables of a nerf war (which, as has been said, are unlike those of any other combat sport) in a way that allows you to exploit your matchup advantages, and alleviate your matchup disadvantages.

That said, nerf tactics are something I love to talk about, but are better taught through actually nerfing. I'd prefer if this thread come back to its original purpose, which was local recruitment. If Messiah would like me to close it and start over, that's fine. If you WANT to discuss specific tactics, start a new thread. Though, I warn you, most people who chime in have will have no idea what they are talking about.

#40 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

If I move to St. Paul can I play nerf guns like GI Joe with you guys? Can I be Road Block? PLEASE?!
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#41 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:58 AM

That said, nerf tactics are something I love to talk about, but are better taught through actually nerfing. I'd prefer if this thread come back to its original purpose, which was local recruitment. If Messiah would like me to close it and start over, that's fine. If you WANT to discuss specific tactics, start a new thread. Though, I warn you, most people who chime in have will have no idea what they are talking about.

Well, I rather like where this thread has gone to. Who doesn't ask questions before they join something? I have no problem answering questions from interested nerfers. I'll just ask that any more questions will be through PM.

If I move to St. Paul can I play nerf guns like GI Joe with you guys? Can I be Road Block? PLEASE?!

Yes. pew pew. :3

#42 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:11 AM

Wait...will I have to do push ups? Because I'm not really a fan of "physical exertion."
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#43 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:21 AM

Dibs on Shipwreck! (He has an awesome parrot, btw.)
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#44 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

Someones gotta be Hawk though. That's an important one. It's really important that we approach shooting kids with toy guns the same way we approach killing terrorists.

#45 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:10 PM

Wait...will I have to do push ups? Because I'm not really a fan of "physical exertion."

only if you screw up something fierce. lol

#46 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

Someones gotta be Hawk though. That's an important one. It's really important that we approach shooting kids with toy guns the same way we approach killing terrorists.

I'm confused by how waterboarding is relevant here?
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#47 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

I'm confused by how waterboarding is relevant here?

You smell like Pont l’Eveque and weakness.

#48 glamdringguy15

glamdringguy15

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

Dibs on Breaker, as long as I can run around with a geeky headset :P
QUOTE(Draconis @ Jun 17 2010, 01:56 PM) View Post

Also, would they be so devious as to retain moose, bears, and wolverines as legal council?

#49 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

Yes, I mentioned in the first post about finding appropriate cover or concealment(preferably, the first.)

One of the things I will be teaching is bounding, which goes something like this:

Let's say two players are moving in a team towards a treeline to flank a hole or a loser. when the two enter into the treeline, Player A will move 5 meters or so to the left or right of player B and find cover, for instance, a tree. Player B spots a Vulcan dug in about 30 meters ahead. Player A will signal B to move up. Player B will move up to the next available cover while Player A provides covering fire. when Player B is set, He will signal Player A to move up past him, whilst providing him with covering fire. Repeat until you are in a good offensive position to push on towards the objective.

Also, thank you goongala, for actually understanding what I'm trying to do here.

Or you can make it so you don't waste darts or time by just shooting the fucking vulcan, or going around. Thats the problem with using milsim strategies. ROF and range come into play much more than other games/real life. Like in your example, you could say "covering fire" but then you have to consider someone using something like a maxshot or airtech that has to reload. You lose the "covering fire" aspect of it and the gunner can also just dodge the darts or shoot the person not under cover. Also, you can shoot further than the encampment. Also I have never seen a vulcan used seriously in a war, nor have I ever seen an encampment.
I would agree on training for nerf. Could be very helpful. But use tactics that make sense. Not some thrown together milsim stew of random squad tactics that aren't really thought out.
Nerf is all angles, probability and ranges. Take advantage of those and you will own.

#50 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

Tactics are rarely followed to the letter, and if the Rangers taught me anything, improvisation is key.
I have left the terms somewhat open so that adjustments can be made in adaption to lower velocity weapons and the like.

Look guys, I'm trying to make things as smooth as possible in my transiton from combat training to milsim, so forgive me if some of this may seem overkill or just plain dumb.

Edit: Because if I leave one thing out, y'all lose your minds.

Edited by themessiahpsg1, 27 October 2009 - 11:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users