Plumbers Goop

problem

7 replies to this topic

#1 lambchop

lambchop

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

I bought plumbers goop (Amazing Goop) to connect two pieces of cpvc to make a T to single my longshot. I will be using the T as my handle. I tried using plumbers goop but it never got solid and actuly held the cpvc. I let the goop dry for about 5 hours but it never became solid could someone help me.
Just keep swimming just keep swimming STOP

#2 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

I leave it in a cool, dry, ventilated room for about twenty-four hours before interacting with it. Let it cure for longer.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#3 Darth Tom

Darth Tom

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

Goop doesn't really get solid - it's always somewhat gel-like. It is designed (and should be used) as a sealant, and nothing else. It is an adhesive sealant, but it should never be used as a glue. If you want to put some PVC together, it would make sense to buy some PVC cement.

Posted Image

Or, you could go the even easier route, and just buy a PVC tee.

#4 lambchop

lambchop

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

Goop doesn't really get solid - it's always somewhat gel-like. It is designed (and should be used) as a sealant, and nothing else. It is an adhesive sealant, but it should never be used as a glue. If you want to put some PVC together, it would make sense to buy some PVC cement.

Posted Image

Or, you could go the even easier route, and just buy a PVC tee.

Yea but would pvc cement bond cpvc. My mom also was nervous when i read the label at lowes and it said may cause flash fires so.... I will be trying some epoxy today and see how that works.
Thanks

#5 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, goop give it 24 hours to cure. It's not even set at 12 hours... it DOES stop being gel-like when it's cured, but it's not going to harden like epoxy. It's quite flexible.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#6 lambchop

lambchop

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

The problem with the tee was that it is to long to fit in the gun. Because i am singling and the air restrictor is attached to a length of cpvc and the gun will not catch if that piece is to short.

#7 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

I have found that PVC cement seems to do a decent job on CPVC, but there are specific CPVC cements. Maybe mine will fail eventually.

(and all the Canadians say) Eh? My can of cement looks nearly identical to that and is universal for both PVC and CPVC. I think it does ABS too.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#8 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

Do yourself a favor:

Next time you buy anything from a hardware store that has directions, READ THEM. May save your life someday.

I'll summarize how to properly use plumbers goop: Roughen the two surfaces you wish to adhere, clean well so that there's no dirt or debris. Apply a layer of goop to both surfaces. Allow goop to partially cure for 1-2 minutes before joining together. Join two surfaces together, allow to dry for 24-72 hours in a well ventilated area.

Plumber's goop is an excellent glue for certain surfaces.

Edited by Fome, 10 February 2009 - 07:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users