• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

I usually play Nerf inside only so I usually think:
1: Does it look cool
2: Will be able to hold up during a war
3: Will it shoot more then 20 ft

That is pretty much how I like to go about starting my mods

That is just such a low standard. Gotta love how you spelled Nerf incorrectly in your name!

Anyhow, how I usually mod is completely based on if I am satisfied with my gun. There are few guns I am satisfied with. I usually seek few things when I mod my guns:

1: Range and accuracy

2: Size, weight, and comfort

3: Usefulness

4: looks

Although looks is last on my list, It is very important to me that my guns look 'presentable' when completed.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#28 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

All my mods look all nice and purdy, until the shell is opened then it's all, "OH GOD!!!"
but my personal approach, read a couple write-ups, and wing it.

Plus my goals, when modding,

1. Accuracy (what's the point if you cant hit the guy)
2. range (self-explanatory)
3. amount of pain afflicted [my friends think that nerf is wussy(yeah right)]
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#29 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

Basically, I look at everything my clan uses in nerf wars, get the same blasters, and mod the shit out of them until they perform way better than what everyone else has. My goal in modding is to make a final product that one-ups anything else that I have seen. As far as execution, I usually do multiple revisions. First, I do a crappy prototype, then identify all the problems with it, revise, then reevaluate. Planning is great, but I always have to change my plans halfway through anyway, so at this point I don't usually bother.

#30 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

The frist thing i think when i start a new project "Can i make this look good as well as work good" if the finished product looks like crap then I'd rather not use the gun, plain and simple( on a side note, I'd rather use a shitty looking gun that works great then a good looking gun that doesn't work)

#31 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:37 PM

Start with a set aside chunk of time, a fatty bag of gummy frogs, and a bottle of dew.

At least one.

From then on, commence what we around here call "Meatball Surgery". Don't ask why, just work with me here.

Planning is, of course appropriate and essential. But most of the modding is done in my head hours or days before I get around to getting off of my ass and doing it. Not just "Oh, it'd be sweet to get all of that to fit together in one shell!", but actually going through steps to see what sort of roadblocks you're going to be coming across.

Hold the shells of two guns to be integrated up to each other. Does it REALLY make sense to do it that way? How else could it fit?

Everything winds up working, but it's not carefully machined persay. There's a bit of error in everything we do, rather than precise machining, but that's what brings out the character. Have too much tubing to fit inside the gun? Alright, cut a gaping hole in the side of the shell to give the tubing breathing room, and then slice some PVC elbows in half and glue them over the tubing to cover up the hole. Paint the gun, and it'll look like it belongs there. Barrels got cut too long? Snip 'em off. Got cut too short? Oh well. The war's tomorrow. Go to the hardware store during the lunch break and get a new piece of Sch. 80. You'll live until then.

Just make sure it works first...

Edited by Falcon, 20 November 2008 - 10:38 PM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#32 angelof DEATH182

angelof DEATH182

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:46 PM

Honestly, I just sit down at my area, grab a gun, grab some CPVC or whatever I've got on hand, and then the dremel and various adhesives.
The next few hours from an observer's point of view tend to be a dust cloud with a dremel and hacksaw appearing out of the haze every few seconds, and then I emerge victorious with something reminiscent of a gun.
Planning would help.
And gummy frogs, those would help too.

#33 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:20 PM

Usually think the whole thing through first, with deep consideration of the gun being pleasing to the eyes over extreme functionality. If a gun is hideous, I won't use it.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#34 lordhenry4000

lordhenry4000

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:00 AM

I mod the hell out of my guns for functionality. Sometimes I'll read a write-up or two here first for inspiration, but usually I'm feeling inspired (read: ambitious) enough to just go for it. Before I start I determine what I want the gun to do. Then I go to whatever lengths are necessary to cause the gun to do what I want (for instance, my current project of making a bbb into a semi-automatic shotgun (that is, causing it to load itself when cocked).

During the modding process I just experiment with whatever I come up with, usually messy, haphazard solutions that, if they work well enough, I will replace with a concrete version later (hot glue instead of goop, for example). I have a huge box of Nerf, and several devoted containers for spare parts, which I use on a regular basis to prop things up or stitch things together (see my titan writeup). Unsurprisingly, it is fairly common for my guns to be largely destroyed as they go through this procedure (hence why I have so many spare parts).

If a gun gets through the process of me modding it alive, mostly-intact and with the functionality I want (this process can, and usually does, take years), only then does it earn the right to an aesthetic makeover.

Edited by lordhenry4000, 21 November 2008 - 12:00 AM.

"What are you doing with those trebuchets?"
"...Exploring?"

#35 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:25 AM

Nerf:
1. Find gun.
2. Read write-ups. (to see what you are getting into)
3. Take gun apart.
4. Mod. (replace barrel/pump plug/spring/take out extra parts/take out dead space)
5. Test gun. (basic function like pumping/catch if you can)
6. Put gun back together.
7. Test.
8. Have fun shooting people with it.

This style could be called the trial and error style. Also, I use a bit of "Nerf on or fuck off".

Edited by Lynx, 21 November 2008 - 12:26 AM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#36 wardrive

wardrive

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

Think about what I want..
Make a drawing/Work things out on paper.
Repeat 1&2 several time over..
3. Make it
4. Redesign it, because it usually doesn't work right the first time.
5. Painting/cosmetics- so it fits with the rest of the gun.
It's not called incompetence, We call it Leadership.

#37 TimmyTown

TimmyTown

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

I usually read a bunch of write ups and what people have to say about the the gun so I don't do anything irreparably stupid.

And then I just wing it. I never measure anything ever. I have a measuring tape sitting on my desk that never gets any use because of this. I just hold the piece next to the other piece and start cutting. I have a lot of specialized cutting tools though so it's not too awkward to do.
QUOTE(rork @ Mar 16 2009, 05:30 PM) View Post

I, too "have recon," as they say. I get him in old country. Then I realize he sucks like bog. So I trade him for potato.

#38 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:49 PM

Usually think the whole thing through first, with deep consideration of the gun being pleasing to the eyes over extreme functionality. If a gun is hideous, I won't use it.

I agree. I like my guns to be aesthetically pleasing. I can't stand it when tubes and glue and stuff is just everywhere.
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#39 Connor

Connor

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:56 PM

I don't plain
Opinions are like Assholes, Everyone has one.

F_A 24 is the KING of nerf.

#40 BustaDartInYOurAss

BustaDartInYOurAss

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:13 AM

For me it really depends on what kind of gun, if its a handgun, screw it I dont plan. I go right in there and chop,cut,hack,and slash my way to the end. On the other hand, if its a longshot...aww who am i kiddin, i just blindly go in there and sometimes come out with heaven and sometimes with hell. Although its not complete blindness, I have read at least one write up for every gun on the mod directory so I go in there with at least a little knowledge.
-bustadartinyourass-

#41 s3an967

s3an967

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:54 AM

Usually I watch some videos of Ice's mods on youtube of which gun or guns I'm gonna get then when I get the gun I just go.
Watch this- I can tip-toe while you take a piss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users