A homemade Lock and Load

116 replies to this topic

#76 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, I've been really lazy when it comes to updating this gun and yesterday I saw it in my room and was like "that catch looks really dumb". So I set to updating it.

The only problem I have with the new set-up is the extension spring I was using was from a Sawtooth and was made out of a weak metal with a low load rating causing it to be pulled apart. I would recommend using a higher grade metal with a high load rating.

I might just switch it out for a rubber band though.
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#77 veginator

veginator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

Yay, now I won't get stabbed when I try to prime it.

#78 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, I've been really lazy when it comes to updating this gun and yesterday I saw it in my room and was like "that catch looks really dumb". So I set to updating it.

The only problem I have with the new set-up is the extension spring I was using was from a Sawtooth and was made out of a weak metal with a low load rating causing it to be pulled apart. I would recommend using a higher grade metal with a high load rating.

I might just switch it out for a rubber band though.

I am using a 1/8" slice of mountain bike inner tube attached to the lowest standoff in the grip (in Slug's variation). It's perfect.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#79 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

What did you cut it with? It seems like a custom cut to that type of material would weaken it's tinsel strength and lead to tears. :lol:

#80 veginator

veginator

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

What did you cut it with? It seems like a custom cut to that type of material would weaken it's tinsel strength and lead to tears. :lol:

Probably scissors. No, inner tubes are very stretchy but not the best choice for this application.

Edited by veginator, 19 January 2009 - 06:34 PM.

#81 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

What did you cut it with? It seems like a custom cut to that type of material would weaken it's tinsel strength and lead to tears. ;)

Probably scissors. No, inner tubes are very stretchy but not the best choice for this application.

Yes, scissors. And, are you serious? It's a fucking rubber band to pull down a little piece of plastic. We don't need aerospace grade elastics with high corrosion resistance, or anything near that. I had an inner tube, so I used it. I have a cup full of rubber bands here too but I like the feel of the tube section better.

#82 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

Ok, when I pictured it, I just pictured a rubber band with a tear in it being stretched and the tear just enlarging and ripping in half. The inner tube actually sounds like it would be stronger because it is a quality rubber rated to keep pressure with weight on it. ;)

Edited by A side of nerf, 19 January 2009 - 07:33 PM.

#83 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

Just make sure to cut it cleanly. Any uneven cut can turn into a tear in short order.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#84 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:42 AM

UPDATE:
REV 2 Plans are finally here!

Rev 2 Plans include:
+Refined Templates
+Updated Construction Write-up
+Updated parts list. "Build an L+L for under $10.00?!?!"

Check it out!

#85 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

Two notes.

Your templates still have the top cut-out for the catch plate, this is clearly no longer needed with your new catch spring setup, and it's missing the lower threaded hole for the screw that holds the spring in place.

You also did not remove the tooth style tops of your filler plates for the grip, as I said in my 1.5 thread, this is a waste of polycarbonate and makes them hard to fit in a multi-gun layout on polycarbonate. Just cut em off flat across from the top left corner.

One other note, if you want CS style plunger heads, one is 1/4" and one is 1/8", instead of both being 1/8".

Just FYI.

#86 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

Alright, thanks. I made those changes.

There will be another video up shortly, the same footage but with some new additions, nothing big really.
I left the top cut-out in REV 1's templates because that is what REV 1 used, but I didn't see it in REV 2's templates, I did however trim down the catch plate.

#87 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

Alright, thanks. I made those changes.

There will be another video up shortly, the same footage but with some new additions, nothing big really.
I left the top cut-out in REV 1's templates because that is what REV 1 used, but I didn't see it in REV 2's templates, I did however trim down the catch plate.

Yeah, I saw that.

Pretty much all I have to do to convert my Rev 1 to a Rev 2 is chop the top and add a spring at the bottom.

I also have the materials for a couple LplusL CSs, so we'll see how those build up.

#88 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about making a CS L+L but right now all I've got is acrylic and that stuff won't thread and breaks easily so It'l be awhile till I make one.

#89 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about making a CS L+L but right now all I've got is acrylic and that stuff won't thread and breaks easily so It'l be awhile till I make one.

Use your acrylic for handle spacer/filler pieces. No threads to cut. But the actual plans in the CS development kit state 1/8" for both plunger washers... I think that change is because of mass, but also because the the 1/2 +Bow spring doesn't require as much strength from that back washer. Mine is working fine. No stress marks or cracks.

#90 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

Did you use acrylic for your plunger head?
I tried that once and the pressure of tightening cracked it.

Edited by A side of nerf, 26 January 2009 - 08:56 PM.

#91 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

No, I am using polycarbonate for everything. I have some acrylic (used to work at home depot, and bought a whole bunch of scraps they had once) but haven't decided what to do with it yet. I might make clips or something that doesn't require lots of strength.

#92 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

A little sneak peek of a future post of mine.

Also a future sales thread.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#93 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

Is the white cover over the screw the nylon from the plunger rod?
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#94 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

The white cover? WHICH screw?

The pulls are made from the nylon rod used in the plungers, I had a bunch laying around.

#95 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

The white cover? WHICH screw?

The pulls are made from the nylon rod used in the plungers, I had a bunch laying around.

What size is that square/rectangular rod? looks like 3/8" x 1/2" or so? How is that working out for you? I'm also curious as to the ranges you are getting from each of these three versions with the same barrel setup.

#96 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

What size is that square/rectangular rod? looks like 3/8" x 1/2" or so? How is that working out for you? I'm also curious as to the ranges you are getting from each of these three versions with the same barrel setup.

It's 1/2" x 1/2" from McMaster http://www.mcmaster....#8732k15/=cxnlm

It's working ok, it's a little bit large for the application, I am going to try it with a smaller size next time.

The ranges are pretty much the same, no matter what plunger material is used. The L Plus L CS gets a bit better due to the 1 1/2" air chamber as opposed to the 1" on the L+L.

Downside is that the L Plus L CS is a bitch to cock. The L+L is easier for some reason, I don't know why, they use the same spring.

It's colder than a witch's tit outside at the moment so I can't do long ranges, but I'm getting 60s easy. I'll have more accurate stuff when I actually get outside.

#97 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

The L Plus L CS gets a bit better due to the 1 1/2" air chamber as opposed to the 1" on the L+L.

And due to PVC's horribly inconsistent size, it's easier to get a good seal from Vinyl Tube.

Downside is that the L Plus L CS is a bitch to cock. The L+L is easier for some reason,

What part is a bitch, getting the catch to catch, or does it have to do with the comfortableness of the handle?

#98 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

The L Plus L CS gets a bit better due to the 1 1/2" air chamber as opposed to the 1" on the L+L.

And due to PVC's horribly inconsistent size, it's easier to get a good seal from Vinyl Tube.

Downside is that the L Plus L CS is a bitch to cock. The L+L is easier for some reason,

What part is a bitch, getting the catch to catch, or does it have to do with the comfortableness of the handle?

I think it's actually getting the trigger to catch. He's right. It's a complete bitch. I figured they all would be, though.

#99 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

Yeah, a big problem I have with mine is that the runners for the catch get caught on the screw sometimes. I think it needs a weaker spring because it is totally impractical for war use as a secondary because priming requires an abrasive grip with your inner thigh and hands. Ouch!

Edited by A side of nerf, 28 January 2009 - 06:09 PM.

#100 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

I think it's actually getting the trigger to catch. He's right. It's a complete bitch. I figured they all would be, though.

It's the trigger catch and the handle combined. The L Plus L CS isn't quite as nice to hold, and the cocking pulls upwards more. It's a helluva powerhouse though.

Adding the heavier catch springs helped the catch bit quite a lot.

Yeah, a big problem I have with mine is that the runners for the catch get caught on the screw sometimes. I think it needs a weaker spring because it is totally impractical for war use as a secondary because priming requires an abrasive grip with your inner thigh and hands. Ouch!

I widened the runners to avoid that problem, my L+L doesn't have trouble with the catch. I'm thinking of maybe using an AR-15 spring instead of a +Bow spring and seeing how that works. It's definitely a weaker spring but it should be sufficient.

Edited by hereticorp, 28 January 2009 - 06:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users