Rattler Rifle

Bringing some life into this thing

8 replies to this topic

#1 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

So I recently got a couple rattlers for free from a yard sale (end of the day, they wanted everything gone). Striped them for the springs to put in my sawtooths, but I can't stand the idea of making any nerf gun useless, so I decided to give a Rattler a try at glory.

First off, I did the basics. It has a spring from some old dart gun I used to have that broke (it was intended to kill moles or squirrels, so the spring was pretty powerful), and a stock maverick spring. Covered the plunger head in electrical tape and added some lube.

So there's the parts of this mod I figured did not require any pictures.

Next up is barrels. I chose CPVC, but I have a couple extra rattler "clips" that I'm going to put PETG into instead when my new shipment arrives.

So get your CPVC, and cut yourself 4 pieces, all about 2 and a half inches
Posted Image

Wrap up one end in electrical tape and stuff it into the stock rattler barrel.
Posted Image

Be careful, CPVC can leave some gnarly cuts, so personally I used a little assistance to get them down all the way.
Posted Image

Your new and improved rattler barrels are done.

Now, on to the trouble of aiming a rattler.

We will now be adding a stock. Keep in mine, there's a million ways to do this process, this is just my sloppy way of doing it.

Get your dremel or drill and make a hole big enough for your stock to enter the rattler's shell.
Posted Image

Now I made myself a stock contraption of PVC, CPVC, zip ties and electrical tape. Amazing, I know.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Haven't gotten any measured ranges, but it looks to be about 60ft using stefans. I'll get some measured ranges as soon as I can.

All and all, I'm damn impressed. A lot of people look down on this gun, but if you play your cards right, this could actually make a half decent primary.

Comments? flames? suggestions?

I'm a pretty veteran modder and nerfer, but I am new to this whole online nerfing community, if I've said anything that sounds "noobish", just politely inform me and I'll be sure to duly note it.

Edited by Soothsayer, 16 August 2008 - 11:26 AM.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#2 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:44 AM

Very nice job, could have been a bit cleaner but very nice.

#3 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:49 AM

Very nice job, could have been a bit cleaner but very nice.

Thanks, I plan on making it a little more easy on the eyes and cleaner, but for the prototype, it gets the job done.

#4 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:30 PM

Nice job. 60 feet isn't bad from what I understand about it.

#5 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

Nice Mod! I like your idea to put a stock on it, but something that might be a little cleaner instead of zip ties would be like, Epoxy, or Plumbers Goop. They hold on the stock pretty tightly, but the only down side is you have to rip it off to open up the gun. That is something I would suggest after you are completely done with the insides.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#6 nerfer75

nerfer75

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:46 PM

Very nice. I may revise my mod after seeing this. Great job!
---nerfer75---
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.--Revelation 20:15

#7 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:08 AM

Nice job. 60 feet isn't bad from what I understand about it.

I think my rattler holds the record of rattlers right now. There's still a lot of possibilities with this gun, I hope someone ups me on this. I really think people should give this gun a big second chance and not consider it a crappy gun.

Very nice. I may revise my mod after seeing this. Great job!

Do it man. Since I'm covering PETG and CPVC, you should try brass as a barrel material.

#8 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:08 PM

Great mod. I have one question about the gun in general. How do you cock and fire it? I think I know how to prime it. Do you kind of move the stinger thing underneath to move the spring, and it has a ratchet style catch mechanism? But about the firing, where is the trigger?
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#9 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:00 PM

No trigger. You just pull the tail thing back until it fires.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users