Photo

Possible War At University Of Maryland

need your input

113 replies to this topic

Poll: Interested? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be able to attend a war in January?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

When would be good for you? (please only answer this if you answered yes to the above)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:20 PM

Yeah, about the downtime, I was thinking about that, I am beat right now, but I wanted to say, next time, I will try to reserve one of the Lecture Halls and get a whistle, as the acoustics in the atrium were awful, and it was really hard to get anyone's attention. I've got lots to say about this, but right now I'm beat. Time for some wine and a movie.
Updated 6/2/08
We are the proud members of University of Maryland Nerf Activity Society, summer plans are:
Weekly games and summer Dart o' War.
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

visit www.umdnerf.com for rules and forums or PM me for any questions. We always welcome outside players.

#102 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:59 AM

Leaving my house before 6:30 AM and arriving back home just after 11:00 PM = Nauseating

Arriving skeptical only to find the most brilliant indoor war layout I have ever laid foam to (4 multi stairwelled, elevator connected twisting turning floors of foamy death maze and one glass wallled atrium) = Illuminating

Pegging victim after victim in their hard to reach places from afar with my +bow = borderline unfair

Meeting and nerfing with THE Vinny Chase of Entourage fame = priceless

Last huMan Standing in the HvZ flash apocalypse = I AM WILL SMITH

VACC
~suck it undead bitches~

#103 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

If you don't keep this going till I go to an East Coast college/am able to drive (3.5/1.5 more years) I will be severely pissed off...

(sorry vacc...)

(Goddammit really wanted to be there...)

Just remember the "Please Don't Take Away My Crossbow Mommy" article.

And always remember that a certain Nerfer in Ohio wouldn't mind a cross/+bow of his own (pm for address (I'M NOT PAYING JOO))!

Edited by Lynx, 20 January 2008 - 08:46 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#104 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Maryland NAS
We do what we can, because we're nuts.
For tons of fun with all of us
Except the ones who got shot in the head
But there's no sense crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying till you run out of tape
And the modding gets done and you make some neat guns
For the people who still survived...

Ok, now that I'm being serious:
Finally being allowed to use stefans in my Airtech: Awesome, until I found out that my etaped CDT's were far more accurate (but still not good enough to eat shit with).
Getting ambushed by Captain Slug & his Magstrike-20: Incredible
Getting sniped by +bows and xbows: Amazing
Winning a "loser" duel with OMC due to pure luck: Unbelievable
Buying 150 ft of PETG: Keep it comming now
Berzerker-charging a hallway full of zombies as one of two humans (Vacc being the other) left at the end of the HvZ flashgame with dual swords: "pure sex" as one of the zombies put it.

Notes:
We (the UMD NAS) need to perfect our stefan-making technique. My accuracy with those were so bad that I ended up shotgunning my Airtech with them simply to be able to hit anything. Once I switched back to etaped CDT's, I was able to get much higher accuracy. I may need to get another Airtech and mod it up to spec though, as the turret on mine was starting to get a little wobbley.

The Art & Sociology building was perfect, especially when only a few of the lights are turned on to maintain a sort of twilight atmosphere.

I really need to build that SCAR-variant I have in the works (which is what the 100+ feet of PETG is for), but first I need to get an AR-15 spring and make certain that everything fits together before I get started.

Oh, and Sean (Squishy) would appreciate suggestions in naming his Doomsayer-to-be.

Edited by umdlancer, 20 January 2008 - 03:11 PM.

#105 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

The venue was interesting, but far from perfect. It needed more door stops and less recycling bin fort building

Edited by CaptainSlug, 20 January 2008 - 02:07 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#106 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

Sounds like CS owned up as usual...

I don't want to take anything away from sluggy, but do you jack asses even read the posts, or is his ass permanently affixed to your effeminate little lips? No one mentioned the play of Slug. Now I'm not in any way commenting on how sluggy did here. but weather or not he did well was not even discussed.

Without question he is the mad scientist of the nerfing world, but if you ever get to an actual war you might find out that the way you mod your gun is only a fraction of what determines how you nerf.

In summary, shut the fuck up and nerf.

#107 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

Yeah, I will say I did pretty terrible compared to past wars.
I had many many technical issues pop up this week and my only really good indoor weapon went to crap after the first round because I couldn't find my only remaining pressure gauge before the war.

When it comes to war performance I am by comparison just average. Not great, not terrible, just vanilla. I'm only well-known because of the weird things I manage to get working and usable. After a whole year I have only just decided on and started getting practice with a primary.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 20 January 2008 - 02:18 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#108 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:28 PM

Goddamn am I sore and tired.

A very nice indoor venue, something that is scarce in the Winter months. I was thoroughly impressed with the overall layout and results. A very good war for me overall, I did much better at this than at Reckoning last weekend. My Crossbow performed great and was just about on par with the two +Bows there, even if it was mildly unfair at times.

Highlights:
-Getting to meet the lot of UMD Nerfers there, and seeing their various weapons that they play with. When I'm not formally introduced to people at a war, my introductions are limited to shooting people with my Crossbow during a round and them realizing who I am. I really need to start wearing my Nerf jersey again.
-Stand-offs against the two +Bows in the many long, narrow corridors in the building, and getting to use my range in an indoor setting was pleasing as well.
-The CTF round was easily my best of the day. Having an effective fire range over almost the entire atrium area then locking down a large chunk of the enemy team with range was crazy. I only had one death, and I lost count on how many kills I got before we finally captured it (with 2 minutes to spare). The defense did their job extremely well.
-Badger's "Boomstick" and "Crowd Pleaser" weapons and seeing them in action. He cleared out an entire hallway with that fucking cannon. Rush-happy newbies everywhere, beware.
-Getting to be on OMC's team pretty much for every round during the day. I'm rarely afforded the pleasure once at any given war, and the same can be said about VACC and Slug. It's a nice change to be shooting with them instead of at them.
-Running then sliding across the floor on my knees, then getting a headshot as I slid by. My one badass moment of the day, even though my knees probably disagree.
-Getting to experience HVZ flash games - truly an awesome archetype. Even though the way I got turned was quite lame in retrospect, it was still a blast. Will Smith isn't Legend, VACC is Legend.
-Getting hit on (constantly) throughout by the one female participating. It was interesting to say the least. Whoever thought you couldn't meet or pick up girls at a Nerf war, let me be the first to prove you wrong...

Anywho, thanks to Squishy for hosting a great first big war. 2TDM works great in there, the CTF and HVZ games need a little tweaking though. Asshattery was mild for the most part, and my only real complaint was downtime spent between rounds as other have mentioned, but that comes with more experience. I hope we have the chance to Nerf there again soon before the Spring wars roll around.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#109 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

Yeah, I will say I did pretty terrible compared to past wars.
I had many many technical issues pop up this week and my only really good indoor weapon went to crap after the first round because I couldn't find my only remaining pressure gauge before the war.

When it comes to war performance I am by comparison just average. Not great, not terrible, just vanilla. I'm only well-known because of the weird things I manage to get working and usable. After a whole year I have only just decided on and started getting practice with a primary.

Yeah, see this is why it's frustrating. Slug, you completely get what I'm saying. You played well, no question, and I was not knocking your ability in the slightest. I just would prefer people differentiate between making great weapon and using them greatly. It's guys like you that make them and then go out and actually nerf with them that never cease to impress me. It just gets me when someone reads "so and so's weapons were really nice" and immediately blurts out that so and so dominates. While there is certainly a positive correlation between the two, it's likely closer to 50% than 100%.

OK, sorry for the preaching. The UMD guys have to work on the pacing of their wars perhaps, but they've already mentioned that. Otherwise, you guys did a great job with your first real NIC organized war. I hope we can make an indoor war with you guys a regular occurance while you're still at UMD. I wouldn't be opposed to a summer time one either. Thanks for throwing a great event.

If you guys feel adventurous you should wander up to jersey sometime this summer, and should certainly try to make the DCNO.

VACC

#110 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

I was thinking about what you said about the doorstops, but unfortunately, We can't prop open fire doors (any doors to stairwells) because of fire hazards. I had heard from one of my members that some people might be interested in donations, if that's the case, We'd gladly take your old crud guns or money to help set up wars more often. PM for details, I'd suppose. I DO apologize for some of my members. I can't control all of them, and even less their honesty or aggressiveness when it comes to certain things. I feel like it was my duty to make sure they behaved, but since I am a student group, there isn't much I can do except send them away when it comes to them not playing honestly and safely. I sincerely hope everyone had some fun, I know I did. I was also personally really impressed with the craftsmanship of CS's plusbow, as an engineering major. I really appreciated the chance to handle and fire that thing. I really really enjoyed meeting and playing with you all.
Updated 6/2/08
We are the proud members of University of Maryland Nerf Activity Society, summer plans are:
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

visit www.umdnerf.com for rules and forums or PM me for any questions. We always welcome outside players.

#111 CAPS

CAPS

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

Does anyone have any pics or videos on the net yet? I hope that HelmentCam of your took some good videos Slug
It's a link to google......you idiots are worse than the spammers.
-Vacc

#112 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:16 PM

Unfortunately I didn't get any usable footage. It even missed me shooting someone in the forehead with a Tech Target.
For the next war I'll just be mounting the camera to the gun. The helmet is awkward and prevent me from sighting comfortably.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 20 January 2008 - 10:16 PM.

#113 CAPS

CAPS

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:25 AM

Unfortunately I didn't get any usable footage. It even missed me shooting someone in the forehead with a Tech Target.
For the next war I'll just be mounting the camera to the gun. The helmet is awkward and prevent me from sighting comfortably.

Darn,

Well maybe Badger can contribute. I saw his girlfriend taking some pics at the war.
It's a link to google......you idiots are worse than the spammers.
-Vacc

#114 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:05 AM

ALSO: If anyone is ever going to be in the area, let me know and we will set up something. I can try for another building or something. Seriously we have something about every week or less during the semester, and something every other week or less off season, so please please let us know if you are in the area. I know that OMC is sometimes around, so just PM me and I'll give you my phone number and we can go from there. Feel free to join the umd forums if you want as well.

edit: Anyone up for another this spring? Badger, thoughts? pics?

Edited by Squishy, 21 January 2008 - 03:53 PM.

Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users