Photo

Possible War At University Of Maryland

need your input

113 replies to this topic

Poll: Interested? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be able to attend a war in January?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

When would be good for you? (please only answer this if you answered yes to the above)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:02 PM

I am still in for the 19th. Fellow Njer's planning on coming down, we can discuss @ Reckoning. I will be staying at my gf's place in Glen Burnie, MD, so you'll have to figure out your own sleeping arrangements if you are going to overnight it.

Combined? That's cute.

God Damn it, you won't ever let me have anything will you?

How about this? I'll stay with you in MD and you can have anything you want....as long as the hair grows back.

#52 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

Capt'n, please see a couple posts above for where we are playing, it's the Art-Sociology building. If you park in lot 7(most preferable, see map link above), 1 or lot AA, and walk twords the Art Soc building, I'll have my group posted at every entrance. I'm going to repost this topic as soon as I get the final word that everything is fine. I will post rules on conduct (shouldn't be a problem, but better safe then never allowed to nerf on campus again) and for some of the games, in addition to a loose schedule.

Edited by Squishy, 07 January 2008 - 02:11 PM.

Updated 6/2/08
We are the proud members of University of Maryland Nerf Activity Society, summer plans are:
Weekly games and summer Dart o' War.
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

visit www.umdnerf.com for rules and forums or PM me for any questions. We always welcome outside players.

#53 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:54 AM

hey guys, an update for you, I had to cut though a bunch of red tape, but Monday I will be going with one of my officers to the reservation office to get an update, as they aren't responding to e-mails. We will post a link to the form that everyone under 18 will need to sign soon as well. Sorry if I've been so slow, as I've had alot on my plate recently, with dartmaking, several mods, and my internship at the university. When I have all the information finalized, I will make a new post to primarily get another head count, and reduce the clutter. Thanks for your patience.
Updated 6/2/08
We are the proud members of University of Maryland Nerf Activity Society, summer plans are:
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

visit www.umdnerf.com for rules and forums or PM me for any questions. We always welcome outside players.

#54 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:03 PM

ok. we are in the process or rereserving the location. Somethings went very wrong and now we might need to pay a fee for the reservation. Would everyone be willing to chip in a few bucks for the reservation?
Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#55 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

I'll chip in $20.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#56 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

Appreciated, but I hope it doesn't come to that much of a fee. I'm expecting 5$ or less per person from what I've been told, as long as I can get this damn police security bullshit revoked. They want me to pay for security, which is silly.
Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#57 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

I can most likely bring 10-15 dollars. If you need it before hand, I'm not sure how helpful I'll be, but I'll try.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see your post. Either way, I'm still fine if any unexpected expenses come up.

Edited by lionhead333, 15 January 2008 - 05:08 PM.

QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#58 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

Squishy, I don't mind covering some expenses. What do you feel about moving locations off campus to a place we have played before? We have had several wars there previously and it makes for an excellent field. I am talking about any of the places we have held DCNO's before. There are a reasonably short drive away in the Rockville, MD area.

Purely as a backup location though.
I hate you.

#59 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

thanks so so so much guys. If we need a backup location, we will probably just find a mostly empty building on campus and use that or play outside.
We finally decided on a name too. The Dart of War.

Edited by Squishy, 16 January 2008 - 01:40 AM.

Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#60 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:42 AM

thanks so so so much guys. If we need a backup location, we will probably just find a mostly empty building on campus and use that or play outside.

I'm gonna be perfectly honest here, I'm not interested in driving several hours JUST to see you guys. I apprecieate that the logistics may be a bit hairy when procuring a school building, but this is cutting it pretty close. I have no problem chipping in more than my share, but I need to know weather or not we're doing this indoors, or at some random DCNO field. The previous I am interested in, and the later I am not driving 3+ hours for. I haven't had a good indoor war in a long while, but I can freeze my balls off outside to a perfectly satisfactory degree in New Jersey. Please give me a little advanced notice.

VACC

#61 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

I'm gonna be perfectly honest here, I'm not interested in driving several hours JUST to see you guys. I appreciate that the logistics may be a bit hairy when procuring a school building, but this is cutting it pretty close. I have no problem chipping in more than my share, but I need to know weather or not we're doing this indoors, or at some random DCNO field. The previous I am interested in, and the later I am not driving 3+ hours for. I haven't had a good indoor war in a long while, but I can freeze my balls off outside to a perfectly satisfactory degree in New Jersey. Please give me a little advanced notice.

VACC

I understand that you are upset. Trust me, imagine how I feel. We will find somewhere to play, it just might not be our first choice. I can't promise it will be indoors, but there are several dozen buildings on enormus campus.( http://www.parking.umd.edu/themap/ ) If we get the boot, we will have a team of people up early in the morning (5-6AM) checking every viable building on campus till we find ourselves some options. There were several things that happened in succession the screwed things up royally: firstly, they told us that we could have it if noone else applied to it and they would get back to us. Then they never got back to us. Then something happened with group renewal, so I needed to reregister our group with the campus, just to check on the status. I apologize, I really do, but I've got to say here, most of this is damn university's fault. I try to use the official channels and they fucked up. No question there. Next time I won't ask, they won't ask for a fee, we won't need to worry about how competent they are. I just ask that you be patient. I have a phone meeting today at two, and when I know something you will. I'm going to need you guys to keep up with this thread pretty carefully right now, as I will also be seeing how much this will be.

Edited by Squishy, 16 January 2008 - 11:19 AM.

Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#62 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

I understand that you are upset. Trust me, imagine how I feel. We will find somewhere to play, it just might not be our first choice. I can't promise it will be indoors, but there are several dozen buildings on enormus campus.( http://www.parking.umd.edu/themap/ ) If we get the boot, we will have a team of people up early in the morning (5-6AM) checking every viable building on campus till we find ourselves some options. There were several things that happened in succession the screwed things up royally: firstly, they told us that we could have it if noone else applied to it and they would get back to us. Then they never got back to us. Then something happened with group renewal, so I needed to reregister our group with the campus, just to check on the status. I apologize, I really do, but I've got to say here, most of this is damn university's fault. I try to use the official channels and they fucked up. No question there. Next time I won't ask, they won't ask for a fee, we won't need to worry about how competent they are. I just ask that you be patient. I have a phone meeting today at two, and when I know something you will. I'm going to need you guys to keep up with this thread pretty carefully right now, as I will also be seeing how much this will be.

I'm not upset, just concerned. I understand the difficulties of navigating university beurocracy, and I'm not holding anyone to blame here. I just want to get the details straightened out as soon as possible so I can make my road-trip plans. Sounds like you're really on top of this so I won't badger you. I wouldn't worry about the price (split among the attendees anything but a massive fee should not be a problem) but get us the location and time information as soon as you get it straightened out.

VACC

#63 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

Less than 2 days, any news as to exactly when or where yet?

#64 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

First things first. We HAVE the location as soon as I go in tommorow at 11AM to reserve it from 10 AM to 11PM. We probably won't play that long, but hey.
ALSO: There will be no primary charge for the areas we rented! I am still attempting to reach the police, but I doubt that will be an issue. I will update when I receive more information. SO: PLAN on coming at 10!
Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#65 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:11 PM

Let me just clarify. You'll have an indoor location for 1 hour, and then what?

#66 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

Yeah, most Saturday wars are from 10am to 4pm. With the actual nerfing starting at 11am
ONE HOUR of Nerfing is not worth the trip for anyone that's more than a few miles from campus.

Edit: Hooray, my reading comprehension is awesome.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 17 January 2008 - 05:25 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#67 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

What? My interpretation of his post entails a timeline like so:
Tomorrow (Friday 1/18) - Squishy reserves the venue (for Saturday 1/19 from 10AM-11PM) at 11AM.
Saturday 1/19 - Squishy hosts a war at the aforementioned venue from 10AM-11PM (Or, at least, is able to host this long).

Not sure where you got this idea of one hour from...

#68 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

There is a snow and ice advisory in Blacksburg through tomorrow morning. I talked to Groove on the phone a few minutes ago and he says the roads are looking pretty bad out by Richmond as well. I'm going to call him tomorrow after lunch and we will determine how good or bad the roads are looking.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#69 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

Temperatures should be up tommorow. And yes. I am making final paperwork appointment for 11 TOMORROW morning. We have the place reserved from 10 AM to 11 PM on the 19th, the following day.
Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#70 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

I've been on the phone for quite some time calling area motels. None seem to be able to rent to me, as a minor, so unless someone has a basement I can crash in, I guess I can't make it.

#71 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

There is a snow and ice advisory in Blacksburg through tomorrow morning. I talked to Groove on the phone a few minutes ago and he says the roads are looking pretty bad out by Richmond as well. I'm going to call him tomorrow after lunch and we will determine how good or bad the roads are looking.

The roads up here are decent and should improve further by tomorrow afternoon. 95, 495, and 267 are clear.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 17 January 2008 - 08:47 PM.

#72 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

I've been on the phone for quite some time calling area motels. None seem to be able to rent to me, as a minor, so unless someone has a basement I can crash in, I guess I can't make it.

If noone offers, please contact me on AIM or somesuch, and I'll try to work something out with one of my members.
edit: wait, can't you just ask your parents?

Edited by Squishy, 17 January 2008 - 10:06 PM.

Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#73 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

Ask them what? To sacrifice their weekend? My mom would, but she has to be in town for repairs on our house.

#74 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:29 PM

they can give permission/their credit card info and rent the room for you.
Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#75 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:13 AM

I have a credit card, a hotel will not allow me to check in, regardless of the age of the reserver( if that's a word ).

Turns out it's only a 2.5 hour drive, so I'm just gonna leave my house early on Saturday and get there around 10, no worries guys.

Edit:
"If you are under 18, please provide a signed slip from a parent/guardian acknowledging that there are some small dangers to playing nerf, and that you should be wearing eye protection."

Does this mean I have to wear it? Or just that my parent has to acknowledge that I should be?

Edited by RAMBO, 18 January 2008 - 12:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users