Vera, My Supermaxx 1500

I finally finished my writeup!

13 replies to this topic

#1 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

I've had a SM1500 sitting around that I bought from mrcrouse1 a while ago and I never did much of anything to it. His was already somewhat modified so I improves it in preperation for the Topeka, Kansas SOF war. I owe Cxqw credit for his modification. I also owe Forsaken_Angel24 credit for an idea that I got from him in this video.

Materials needed:

Hot glue
1/2" Sch 40 PVC
9/16", 17/32" brass pipe or whatever barrel material you prefer.
Electrical Tape

Let's begin:

Posted Image

Here is your stock SM1500. Unscrew everything.

Posted Image

See that orange piece, remove it with a knife or a screwdriver.

Posted Image

At the end of the gun there would normally be an orange cap, remove that piece just like you did earlier.

Posted Image

Separate your shells and remove the plunger from its chamber. Then hot glue the release valve and all the tiny holes on the sides of the plunger. Wrap the o-ring a couple times with telfon tape. Wrap some electrical tape on the teflon below the o-ring to ensure that that the teflon stays in place.

Posted Image

Apply hot glue liberally to both the spring and the plunger rod. This moves the plunger rod back quicker when you pull the trigger allowing for air pressure to be released more efficiently.

Posted Image

Here I cut a 3/16" by 1/8" rectangle out of both sides of the shell this allows for the trigger mechanism to be pulled back further.

Posted Image

Remove those two screws and take the black piece of plastic off. Keep the black piece as it will be very useful later on.

Posted Image

Cut off your barrels and sand the surface so that it is relatively smooth.

Posted Image

Sand down the black piece until you are able to place PVC at a 90˚ angle into all four barrels. Screw the black piece back on once you have done this.

Posted Image

Once you've sanded the black piece, wrap your brass barrels in electrical tape a couple times at the bottom and about an inch below however long you want your barrels to be. I choose to have 8" barrels. Twist your pipe inside of the PVC until you reach the bottom, and then cut your barrels.

Posted Image

Glue all of your barrels to the rotatory and the seams between the black piece and all of your barrels. Reassemble everything. Congratulations, you now have a powerful primary with a great rate of fire. I named it Vera because like Jayne's Vera, mine has a tendency to shoot smoke when fired. Comments? Suggestions?

Edited by Homestarune, 21 February 2009 - 12:43 PM.

We're not discouraging people from joining a Nerf forum, we're discouraging them from joining this forum. It's an important distinction because, frankly, we don't give a shit. The Haven was created to escape the idiotic masses, now they're all here. -cxwq

#2 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

Its not smoke, its water vapor. Nice work.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#3 flyingchicken

flyingchicken

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

Nice mod. What are the ranges?
I am so omniscient; if there was to be two omnisciences, I would be both!

#4 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

Nice work, good to see some people still love the classics.

Now, the "Vera" part wouldn't happen to be a Firefly reference would it?
Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
-Martin Luther

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek u.

#5 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

Now, the "Vera" part wouldn't happen to be a Firefly reference would it?

I named it Vera because like Jayne's Vera, mine has a tendency to shoot smoke when fired. Comments? Suggestions?

"Six men came to kill me one time. And the best of 'em carried this. It's a Callahan full-bore auto-lock. Customized trigger, double cartridge thorough gauge. It is my very favorite gun...This the best gun made by man. It has *extreme* sentimental value...I call it Vera."

Nice mod, and nice blaster. 1500's and 2K's are both really underrated primaries, I'm surprised more people don't use them. They're great entry level blasters and alternatively make great primaries for more experienced players as well. The ROF and ranges are very competitive with most of the other popular blasters, and not mention they're fairly easy to acquire and mod.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#6 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

Banshee: I'm well aware that it's water vapor not smoke, please don't waste your time being pedantic.

flyingchicken: To be honest I really don't know. I'm sorely lacking in the stefan department. All the fbr I've had is either too small or has been used by my father to insulate windows or doors. However, my best stefan can hit my fence which is 70' away with all of about 18" of drop. That particular stefan has splinters of wood in the top of the hot glue dome. I'd estimate that the ranges are somewhat comparable with Cxwq's SM1500. Since I currently have no precise way to know exactly what my ranges are, I could be horribly wrong.

Poseidon: Thanks you, but for the love of God read the whole post.

Groove: Thank you, that means a lot coming from someone like you. I'm glad someone gets the Firefly reference. It's definitely the best gun I own and I've spent about 15-20 hours altogether working on SM1500s so this gun has a lot of sentimental value. After watching videos from various NIC wars once of my first thoughts was, "why don't I see any SM1500s?" Cxwq's SM1500 hit mid 90's, which from what I've seen in the "Show off your Crossbow" thread is equivalent, if not better than most Crossbows, not to mention the superior rate of fire. Then again, most everything that Cxwq touched turned into gold.

Edited by Homestarune, 21 February 2009 - 12:40 PM.

We're not discouraging people from joining a Nerf forum, we're discouraging them from joining this forum. It's an important distinction because, frankly, we don't give a shit. The Haven was created to escape the idiotic masses, now they're all here. -cxwq

#7 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

If it is bullshit, then please explain why Forsaken_Angel24 did it here at 1:02 into the video? My reasoning behind it is that when pulling the trigger, the spring is slightly compressed before the plunger rod is moved. What I've done is eliminate that compression entirely. So once again, please explain why Forsaken_Angel24 is full of bullshit.

#8 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

Apply hot glue liberally to both the spring and the plunger rod. This moves the plunger rod back quicker when you pull the trigger allowing for air pressure to be released more efficiently.

Dogma is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, ideology or any kind of organization: it is authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted or diverged from. The term derives from Greek δόγμα "that which seems to one, opinion or belief"[1] and that from δοκέω (dokeo), "to think, to suppose, to imagine"[2]. The plural is either dogmas or dogmata , from Greek δόγματα.

I know you learned it from someone you believe, And belief often even colors our own observations of fact. But this bullshit practice could not improve any Nerf trigger unless it had been broken.

Are you retarded? It's common sence and simple physics. You can search for any air gun, and it will have the same thing. http://nerfhaven.com...opic=9775&st=15 --> That is a simple example. The second page, he uses a pen, as a faster way to actually pull the rod. Get your facts straight before you start calling people, and ideas bullshit.

#9 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

Are you retarded? It's common sence and simple physics. You can search for any air gun, and it will have the same thing. http://nerfhaven.com...opic=9775&st=15 --> That is a simple example. The second page, he uses a pen, as a faster way to actually pull the rod. Get your facts straight before you start calling people, and ideas bullshit.

I know JSB edited his first post with his response to you, NOF, but I feel like I'll give a quick overview of why people do that kind of pen mod. Plugging the pump, as most people vaguely familiar with it know, disables the over-pressure release valve. This allows for much higher pressures to build up in the tank, which in turn increases ranges. Hence, Nerfers generally plug the pump to improve the blaster's usability. A side effect of this increased pressure, though, is a larger pressure on the rubber stopper on the firing pin. This translates into a more difficult trigger pull, and the empty space along the back (where the trigger is) just makes pulling the trigger more difficult. The reason the spring is there on the back of the AT2K pin, for example, is to make trigger pull easier at stock pressures. At plugged pressures, it does nothing. Putting a solid piece of plastic, perhaps a piece from a BIC pen, fixes this trigger pull difficulty. Putting the piece there does NOTHING EXCEPT make the trigger pull easier at higher pressures.

HR, nice SM1500 mod. Looks clean and makes for a wonderful primary. I wish I still had mine.

<edit>

The reason the spring is there on the back of the AT2K pin, for example, is to make trigger pull easier at stock pressures.

Very close. But it actually makes the valve open faster.

Ah. On reflection, I see that. Thanks for the correction, Bob.

Edited by Ice Nine, 21 February 2009 - 01:59 PM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#10 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

Ice Nine, you explain the reasoning very well. What Bob's point is, though, is that by performing the pen type mod, you lose the advantage of the lovely engineering that Larami (and now Hasbro) put in to these valves. It works, but if you added a stronger spring (heavy enough to withstand opening the valve) you could have better performance. Bob's problem is that he opposes the blind replication of mods, rather than people thinking for themselves.

Also:

Okay NOF, if a bogus argument by appeal to authority is what you want - I received my first engineering degree in 1981. Nerf didn't have missiles, arrows or darts yet, and all the celebrities you point to hadn't been born.

Crap, I guess I'm not a celebrity. :ph34r:

Also, crap because Bob beat me to it.

Edited by Draconis, 21 February 2009 - 02:07 PM.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#11 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:14 PM

Bob is right here, so I don't know why you guys are freaking out.

Anyway, I just modded a 1500 for Talio this morning, right before this writeup was up. You didn't have to cut away any part of the shell to get the full extension of the valve. You simply need to eliminate the play from the trigger to where the spring starts. I used the bic pen mod with tight tolerances for that, after removing the spring. It provides more than enough travel.
Teehee.

#12 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

Since you choose to force the discussion into the form of a confrontation, I could not care less if you keep doing stupid things to your blasters.

I have not yet attacked you personally, Just Some Bob, I have however attacked your opinion on this matter. If you want to take that as a personal attack that's your problem, not mine.

That you attempt to invoke celebrity, instead of even trying to find a reason or explanation for it, is pretty strong evidence that you have no idea what it actually does.

I only use Forsaken_Angel24 as an example because I could easily link to it, you are the one bringing up the issue of celebrity, not I.

I received my first engineering degree in 1981. Nerf didn't have missiles, arrows or darts yet, and all the celebrities you point to hadn't been born.

Age is irrelevance, your engineering degree is not. If you want to continue this, feel free to PM me about it or, you can continue this here, it's up to you.

Edited by Homestarune, 21 February 2009 - 02:15 PM.

#13 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

Normally Bob I agree with most of your posts but this one I am going to have to disagree with.

Here is why:

In my thorough testing of many different methods of modification.
I have found that gluing or doing the Bic pen mod will improve performance.
It's very basic the advantages that take place when doing this modification.

#1 It makes the trigger pull easier.

#2 The valve opens faster

#3 The valve opens farther because now compression does not need to take place.

This will improve Velocity every time and also improve range on a case by case basis.

It follows the simple code of firing an air gun.
Pull the trigger fast when firing.

To disagree with the above statements would state that.

A The amount the valve opens does not affect performance.

B The speed at which the valve opens does not affect performance.

Nice write up Homestarune and thanks for the shout out.
I am going to add this to the directory.

Man this place has gotten tough lately.
Who else feels like they want to attack me or my methods next?
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#14 Equilox

Equilox

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

Very nice, can't wait to see it in action in August.
"In my Zombie plan I use my arsenal of foam to fend of the hoards of the undead as I make my way to Canada....... good luck to you Simmons."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users