rawray7's Content

There have been 533 items by rawray7 (Search limited from 31-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#15483 Your Set

Posted by rawray7 on 02 January 2004 - 02:17 AM in Nerf Wars

My brass modded AT3K with my anti-skip mod so it never rotates improperly.

since when did you have an anti-skip mod? maybe i'm out of it, but last time i warred with you, you didn't have an ABS system on your 3k. the only time i even remember you referring to the rotating mechanism was when you said "it works like a mercedes". anyway, to get to the point, what does this anti-skip mod entail?

#66100 YANO November 05

Posted by rawray7 on 19 October 2005 - 12:49 AM in Nerf Wars

i'm pretty much out for this one guys. there is a slight chance that i could make sunday the 6th, but i can't even count on that. After the end of november i am much more available, but at this point i've got too much to do with sports, school and my college apps. so i'm down for a december or january war, but i'm going to have to sit this one out. sorry guys.

#12927 Yano - New Location Discussion

Posted by rawray7 on 16 November 2003 - 04:04 PM in Nerf Wars

bonelli park sounds like a winner to me. boy, i could get to YANOs in 30 minutes if they were there. that would most definately add to the number of people i could bring. good call.

#12834 Yano - New Location Discussion

Posted by rawray7 on 14 November 2003 - 12:49 AM in Nerf Wars

phew, finally. i thought someone would never boot me in the ass. anyways, my only other suggestion for the moment is to try and steer away from schools. at least where i live, most of the public schools have been really trying to make them not so public on the weekends. i just don't want the same thing to happen to our original spot.

i don't think i'd have a problem finding us a wilderness-like area to play at with ample food and rest nearby. i'll look for something with somewhat of an empty urban area also. if we do end up playing in the wilderness-esque places i can think of, the only problems i see are a) more running required than Irvine Bee) far less dart finding oppurtunities c) camo actually could help, meaning we may have to modify the camo rule to either 'no camo' or 'go camo'. it would definately make the game somewhat more 'serious' if we played in the 'jungle', but i wouldn't really mind that. i'll start looking for le creme de le creme of the spots i can think of.

another problem with me finding a spot is that you all get to drive a good distance to come nerf in or around pasadena, and the SD guys may as well fly up, that's like a 3-4 hour drive...or a 2-3 hour, $28.99 train trip. so...in conclusion, if we have a war here, people are going to have to be really committed. we could even have a super-duper-all-weekend-two-days-plus-campout-extraveganza, but that may not work out. i definately don't want to spend the night in the wilderness if spoon's coming.

#11812 Y Does Cpvc Work Better Than Brass?

Posted by rawray7 on 23 October 2003 - 10:51 PM in Modifications

If you're curious, the lecture was about Godel and M-Theory vs. Unified Theory. He has officially recanted his belief that we're headed towards a Unified Theory. It was a Schrodinger-like argument that suggests we can't form a completely accurate model of the universe from within the universe.

M-Theory as in part of the superstring (supersymmetry, mulitple dimensional dualities) theory? or maybe it's a completely different m-theory i'm unaware of. anyways, i'm sad i didn't read this thread sooner, i must have overlooked the fact that we were now discussion universal physics in the mods section. anyways, i'm interested to hear what hawking had to say, i'll get a summery of it from somewhere.

#45231 Xbow Spring

Posted by rawray7 on 31 December 2004 - 03:39 PM in Modifications

Im going to go all out on my xbow mod by following RawRay's mod here, then customizing it on my own but have hit some snags. I was wondering what sort of replacement spring to use (material, length, gauge, etc). Im sorry if this has been clarified before but I searched on NH and the rest of the internet and found nothing except a defender T3 spring, which I dont have.

Oh Im also having a rough time fitting the support bolts behind the spring compression wall. Should I secure the bolts in place with nuts? I tried but couldn't fit them in. Also, I don't understand the fourth piece of steel plating that he used on the wall, the triangular one. Can someone please give me some help?othing except a defender T3 spring, which I dont have.

very good questions, both that were only answered by my experience after i wrote that mod.

1:don't replace the spring. no one has ever found a decent replacement for it.

2: the triangular metal piece on the trigger is overkill, don't do that either. what you should do if your having trouble with the trigger being weak (which is why i added that triangle piece), take a spring from any airtech or supermaxx trigger and use that and the regular trigger spring. (the airtech springs fit inside the xbow trigger spring, and make the gun easier to fire).

3: i dont really know how to answer your bolt question. if your bolt isnt' secure because you can't fit a nut, try a smaller bolt. one thing that neonerfer did to solve this problem was to use longer bolts, and run them the whole way through the case (both sides) and put the nut on the outside of the case.

edit:
sorry, i thought you meant the triangle piece on the trigger, and i answered that in nuber 2. for the triangular piece behind the compression wall, i think you can get away without it given that you have bolts in place. if you don't have bolts, i'd go for the triangle behind the compression wall.

edit2: when i say don't replace the spring, i mean don't replace the spring. in fact, don't bother stretching the spring either - unless your adding less than a half inch to the length. DO use bands or bungees. i use 3 strings of 5 rubber bands tied together, but neonerfer found this really neat green elastic band at home depot that i can't find the name of right now. if you can find that, its way better than rubber bands.

#24039 Xbow Sm1500 Integration Help

Posted by rawray7 on 11 April 2004 - 11:40 PM in Modifications

Posted Image
basically, ompa, you drill a hole for your barrel under the original barre, through the front of the casing. the valve goes where that black foam below the plunger tube is in the picture, then you drill a hole through the casing at the back end of where that foam filler is, and then the pump is epoxied onto the side of the gun at the height of the black grip. your tube goes from your valve through the hole to the pump, both should be epoxied on.

#8593 Xbow Mod Submitted By Rawray7

Posted by rawray7 on 21 August 2003 - 11:06 PM in Modifications

i'll have my spring in there before YANO and try to get the spring model # posted somewhere around then. thanks for the feedback, make sure to send my way any questions or such about the mod: i'm afraid i might have taken a few too many steps for granted, if anything doesn't flow, tell me.

#50614 Xbow Mod Help

Posted by rawray7 on 26 March 2005 - 01:08 PM in Modifications

try this

#45525 Xbow Help

Posted by rawray7 on 05 January 2005 - 11:29 PM in Modifications

All a crayola barrels is is just a brass replacement

I hope you are being funny. Yes, it is a replacement - a very poor one. Kind of like replacing the gas tank on your car with a milk jug.

You didn't find a crayola mod because no one is stupid enough to use one on a Crossbow.

NinjZ wins.

#32643 X-bow Finished..

Posted by rawray7 on 29 July 2004 - 11:55 PM in Modifications

NO, For the X-bow I used Ducttape. I made like sheets of it by putting two peaces together. Then cutting out circles and sticking the to the rubber on the plunger.

EDIT: It may have the least friction but that shit doesnt hold....You dont wanna put THAT much tape on anyways that it will severely keep the plunger from sliding in the tube. Plus if you have bands or a bungee it wont matter.

hmm...i disagree. i've never had a problem with the masking tape falling off. the two reasons i picked masking tape:
1) it doesn't leave that goo behind like duct tape.
2) it has a smooth outer surface, and slides extremely well with graphite lubricant.

i've never tried a DT3 spring, but i'll tell you the original spring with bands is not too horrible. i can hit people level from 85' any day of the week, and i'm not talking about lobbing one onto their toes.

#32580 X-bow Finished..

Posted by rawray7 on 29 July 2004 - 11:07 AM in Modifications

I've always wondered what you mean by 'wrapping masking tape around the plunger head.' Are you actually putting the tape around the whole head? Or just around the inner ring to push out the outer rubber?

~Vintage

no, the tape actually goes around the circumference of the rubber plunger. if you think about the rubber plunger as a cup with a hole in the middle: the masking tape lines up flush with the base of the cup, and is wrapped around the circumference of the cup. so, the "bottom" of the cup, (or the back wall of your plunger head) doesn't have any tape on it. the tape widens the radius of the plunger head by being wrapped around it. there will be tape that hangs over the lip of the cup; depending on the width of your tape (i use about .75" width tape) you can cut the tape that protrudes past the top of the cup, or you can fold that excess into the middle of the cup, which is what i usually do.

in conclusion, the tape doesn't push anything out, it actually becomes the contact surface between the rubber plunger head and the inner part of the plunger tube.

#32539 X-bow Finished..

Posted by rawray7 on 28 July 2004 - 07:37 PM in Modifications

here comes the self-proclaimed lord of the x-bow:

okay, you've got two problems that i've fixed plenty of times:

1: as everyone has already said, your barrel choice sucks. okay, i'm going to save myself the typing of this and quote my own mod at the end of this, but here's the highlights: a crossbow barrel needs to be at least 10 inches long, the air release mechanism is one of the slowest of any nerf gun. the first section needs to be a very tight squeeze for your darts...you need all of that air in the chamber to get behind it. then you have a section where the dart can "glide", which means you can blow it out, but it shouldn't fall out on its own. then i have about 1.5" of sch. 80 at the end to let some of the air go around, to prevent fishtailing. here's the quote from my mod on this site:

Your gun is now ready, but you'll need a barrel. Because of the 1/2" coupler, you'll be able to put on any variety of barrels via 1/2" PVC. The barrel that I chose to use, because it suits my darts the best is a 3 sectioned telescoping brass barrel. To make the barrel, take 10" of 1/2" sch. 80 PVC, place inside of that 12" of 9/16" inch brass. The brass should stick 3 inches out of the back (the distance from coupler to coupler, not a coincidence) inside of the 12" brass section is a 6" piece of 17/32" brass. This should stick out the back of the 9/16" about 1/8" of an inch, as little as possible.

2: the underpowering is also due to your plunger head's fit in the yellow tube. the heads tend to be too small, what you need to do is wrap masking tape around the large rubber plunger head until you have to jam it down the yellow tube. it should not move past the beggining of the taper at the end. now, what you do is add graphite lubricant (don't use anything gel or liquid) to the inside of your plunger tube (the yellow thing). put it together, after 2 shots or so it will stop feeling "slow" (unless of course you put way too much masking tape on) and it will greatly increase the range. my crossbow went from 45' to 90' by adding three layers of masking tape at the last SoCal war.

if you have questions: first read my mod...then reply.

#32751 X-bow Finished..

Posted by rawray7 on 31 July 2004 - 08:44 PM in Modifications

Theirs a type of ductape that has a smoother top surface. What goo? I dont have any problems with the adhesive on the back.

mod a gun with ducttape, play with that gun for a month or so (preferably in a warm climate, like southern california), when the gun breaks, remove the ductape. then you will see the "goo" i refer to. pain in the ass to get off just about anything.

#3819 X*stream Modification

Posted by rawray7 on 22 April 2003 - 09:25 PM in Modifications

are we talking about the orange x*stream air pistol thing aboot as big as an unmodded at2k? if so, the plunger tube is 7.5 cm long, and 2.125 cm in diameter (those are outside measurements, not ID. wall thickness is about 1 mm.) the exit hole of that is 2.5 cm long with a .5 cm OD.

#15556 Wtf?

Posted by rawray7 on 03 January 2004 - 01:15 AM in Off Topic

i dont see any tunnel. for some reason i got a picture of a frog on a stick.

times change. no need to post your even more irrelevant find.

#6824 Wow

Posted by rawray7 on 10 July 2003 - 12:36 AM in Off Topic

what was this open nerf proposal, exactly?

#41183 World Of Warcraft

Posted by rawray7 on 08 November 2004 - 10:17 PM in Off Topic

i played WoW on my friend's account for a few days, and i really liked it. he was part of this big week long beta stress test, and so i got to do a lot of cool shit while playing - like being part of a single battle consisting of about 200 people, all in an attempt to crash the server. its got a really fun beginning to it, so i'd give it a try if your into those games. i'll agree with ash on the fact that the game looks extremely cartoony, and i'm sorry to say that the screenshots don't lie, it actually is really cartoony.

#32156 Who Would Buy Colored Backer Rod?

Posted by rawray7 on 22 July 2004 - 11:43 PM in General Nerf

zack, i would buy 300-500' (depending on how many people in my neighborhood are interested) given that it's not more than 2x loghelp price by the foot, or cut in 2.5" (never been coiled would be nice). in any case i'll be buying some just because its red. oh, and could i get a custom color if i ordered a shitload? if every dart i owned was a light blue, people like bobert would be easier to catch..hehe.

#32212 Who Would Buy Colored Backer Rod?

Posted by rawray7 on 23 July 2004 - 10:30 PM in General Nerf

looks like '7's on the tips will have to do.

could you please test it in:

1/2" sch. 40 PVC
1/2" sch. 80 PVC
1/2" brass
17/32" brass
9/16" brass
19/32" brass
PETG
CPVC

(don't buy all that brass just take the sample to the hobby store)

if you could describe the fit with words like snug, glides, twists in, falls through, as opposed to "fits" "doesn't fit" that would be wonderful. (i'm sure this is just common sense, but i'm just reminding you)

#8766 Whitch Combo Is Best?

Posted by rawray7 on 26 August 2003 - 11:18 PM in Modifications

lmao fofl where the fuck you get this stuff??!!

his name is JSkater, not Lmao Fofl. get your shit straight.

#8920 Whitch Combo Is Best?

Posted by rawray7 on 30 August 2003 - 01:02 PM in Modifications

your just making it worse, buddy.

#8688 Whitch Combo Is Best?

Posted by rawray7 on 24 August 2003 - 04:16 PM in Modifications

"us guys" get the rf20? you can get it just as easily as anyone else, by going to TRU. i believe they just made more "coppys" of the gun, pretty sure it's not a new "modle".

#11950 Which Do You Prefer?

Posted by rawray7 on 26 October 2003 - 05:41 PM in Off Topic

... getting flamed in a forum is about as intimidating as a little 140 pound kid thinking he can hurt me.

fatty

#11490 What's Up?

Posted by rawray7 on 15 October 2003 - 11:26 PM in Site Feedback

i think there might be a slight increase in the newb/day posting ratio, but don't worry too much about it. to quazi-quote from my memory somebody (probably cxwq): "they'll learn fast or they'll leave" meh, i'm sure someone can do a better job on that quote than i, but anyways, you get the point. in fact, grinchypoo, if i'm remembering correctly you joined this site during a newb-spike quite like this one, and you learned, as i'm sure you might say yourself.

a message to recent joiners of this site: in accordance with mr. grinch, i'm sure most members here would second the notion that if you feel that your "newbness" isn't appreciated or understood correctly by the users on these boards, give nerfhq a shot. they're just dying for more people like you.

#11521 What's Up?

Posted by rawray7 on 16 October 2003 - 08:09 PM in Site Feedback

What's cooking GrOOvE, you know if the walls are all padded then it's not technically a jail cell.

haha, groovey has got himself a new boyfriend. that's what you get for being facetious.

#24296 What Industrial Spring Should I Use For Xbow

Posted by rawray7 on 14 April 2004 - 10:55 PM in Modifications

Take the stock spring to OSH and find the one that is similar diameter, half an inch shorter, heavier gauge wire, and fewer coils. I don't have the part number. There may be a better one out there - the one I'm referring to will almost certainly require reinforcement to the gun.

have you gotten one to work, cxwq? i tried at least 3 different springs and a few differeny combinations/lengths and i couldn't get any industrial springs (i found them at osh) to work.

accord,unless cxwq has found one that works, i wouldn't recommend using an industrial strength spring. on a good day i can get 100', and i've got a stock spring and bands...you don't need much more of that out of an xbow.

#24303 What Industrial Spring Should I Use For Xbow

Posted by rawray7 on 15 April 2004 - 01:23 AM in Modifications

it seems you found just the problem, every spring that i found that looked like it would work well, wouldn't compress all the way into the small space between the plunger head and the notch. i actually blew the entire front end through front of the yellow tube toying with springs, and now that i'm down to my last working plunger shaft, i just went back to the basics. even when re-enforced, those shafts are weak things, and i tend to shy away from even bands now.

#7402 What Do You Think?

Posted by rawray7 on 27 July 2003 - 03:08 PM in General Nerf

is that english?

either way, if you've got big hands and you're going to mod it like cxwq, then it's definately worth it.

#1948 Weights For Stefans

Posted by rawray7 on 03 March 2003 - 12:59 AM in Homemades

I just go to the hardware store and use these small washers. They fit perfectly in the dart and i only need to use 1.

wow. another fellow washer-weighted person. that's funny that the same idea appeared simoutaneously(sp). yeah, i use #6 washers, although i think i will be switching to 1/4" slingshot ammo, due to popular YANO complaints of partially exposed weights, and the fact that washer darts seem to hurt more.

#10758 Web Editor

Posted by rawray7 on 29 September 2003 - 11:25 PM in Off Topic

fireworks is the worst macromedia program ever made.  don't even try using it...it blows hardcore.

Wrong answer.

You don't know how to use it.

Regardless, you can take a look at some products of hard code and Photoshop working in tandem: http://newradicals.net , http://emayhem.org

Cheers, mate.

wrong answer.

you just don't know how to make a point.

don't be a dumbass. if you're going to tell me fireworks is awesome, show me some websites made with fireworks. you can't prove your point by showing me sites made with photoshop, because i never said photoshop wasn't cool.

cheers

#10582 Web Editor

Posted by rawray7 on 28 September 2003 - 12:58 PM in Off Topic

fireworks is the worst macromedia program ever made. don't even try using it...it blows hardcore.

#2501 War On Iraq

Posted by rawray7 on 20 March 2003 - 10:15 PM in Off Topic

i don't really agree with the war morally, but i shall say that strategically the U.S. army is doing almost everything perfectly to carry out the motives that i disagree with. i will now explain this seamingly radical statement, with as little moral argument as possible:

okay...after only a day of bombing, ground troops were sent in, mostly raw soldiers, and not monstar amount of vechicles. well...this seems crazy; in most wars, one would bomb for days, taking everything important out before sending in troops. now, the reasons i think it's smart to do the opposite: 1. everything we destroy we are going to eventually have to rebuild, because we are planning to take control of their governent. (replace, take over, what's the difference?). 2. it takes 250 million gallons of oil to supply the army in iraq for one day, while on the move. by keeping more of the tanks and vechicles still, we are saving gas, and putting less emphasis on our supply lines. 3. We went in against UN approval, and there are going to be reprocussions. Sending in human soldiers is begging for a chemical or biological response; and if we get one, then we can tell the UN, "I told you so." if we keep bombing, and prevent chemical or biological weapon use, there will be less proof to show the UN, even if it is saving our Marines lives. also, by sending the elitest soldiers (also the ones that will suffer the least damage to chemical or bilogical agents) to charge the capital, we can provoke use, but minimize casualties. 4. we are killing less citizens by sending in humans. 5. it is much easier to negotiate when you aren't inside a tank. surrender negotiations are something that we are definatlely banking on by launching a ground campaign. 6. Iraqi civilians will not see airplanes as saviors, and even if they did, airplanes aren't going to be the ones running the country when we are done. The human element is going to get a lot more people on our side. 7. i think that human soldiers will keep terrorism against civilians at a lower rate. with an enemy you cannot defend against (our planes), one must funnel their angle at the country controlling the planes. with the enemy being someone you can kill(our soldiers), they are the target of your anger.

now, i don't agree with the war. i would have, with UN approval. but, Bush pussed out of the last vote that was scheduled, after seeing that 3 countries were already saying they would say no. i think this is because he wanted the last UN vote before the war, 1441 to be a winning vote. i also don't agree with trying to replace the government in iraq...because i don't think we need to be the worlds police. and if we are going to be the police, there are a lot of other places we could be.

there are definately going to be mass reprocussions from this attack; especially if the ground assult is attacked by weapons of mass destruction. no one is happy when their family members and friends are dead. bush knows this, and still sending them in anyway is smart in the 7 ways i said, plus some; but is also counting on a lot of choices on their part, the biggest being their surrender.

#4509 Visual Basic?

Posted by rawray7 on 12 May 2003 - 10:52 PM in Off Topic

don't worry, you're tax dollars aren't being spent on my education. i go to a private school. and i don't know why we are learning VB. i think it's just as an introduction to coding in general, and Visual Basic is really...um....basic. in the more advanced computer classes they use Visual C++ primarily.

#4497 Visual Basic?

Posted by rawray7 on 12 May 2003 - 08:53 PM in Off Topic

well, i am doing VB in school right now. um...well to make something random here you go:

(lets say you have one main form, and 5 random forms)
in the main form make a command button called 'cmdrandom'. in the general section or the form load section of your code type: 'dim a'. in your form load type 'randomize'.

okay, that's all the preliminary stuff. now, in your cmdrandom code put:

a = int(5 * rnd + 1)
if a = 1 then
frm1.visible = true
frmmain.visible = false
end if
if a = 2 then
frm2.visible = true
frmmain.visible = false
end if
(and so on until 5)

the formula for creating a random integer between highnum and lownum is int(highnum * rnd + lownum)

i hope that helps. i would copy and paste code, but i would have to be at school to do that.

#15114 Vinyl Tubing

Posted by rawray7 on 27 December 2003 - 01:17 AM in Homemades

add a stem valve in between the vinyl tube and whatever your airtank is to keep the pressure inside the tank. anything that's left in the tubing will just dissipate out of the pump.

#15111 Vinyl Tubing

Posted by rawray7 on 27 December 2003 - 12:56 AM in Homemades

i think your average vinyl tubing will hold more pressure than your average zero valve will. probably at least 100 PSI. if your not using it as a tank, then you won't have a problem at all withstanding the pressure of the passing air. if it's part of your tank, i'd say add another stem valve to keep it from storing air, probably not a great idea.

#7943 [evolution] - Stage One

Posted by rawray7 on 09 August 2003 - 03:12 PM in General Nerf

i can't speak for them word for word, but why would the people who run NH put content up on NE? i mean, maybe if they really want to, but it's like the owner of Time magazine writing articles for Teen People or something. wouldn't it just be easier and more practical if the admins of this site put stuff up on this site?

spoon, vacc and c; if i'm completely wrong, feel free to correct me.

#7895 [evolution] - Stage One

Posted by rawray7 on 08 August 2003 - 09:32 PM in General Nerf

to tell you something, the one thing i can think of right now that would substantially evolve nerf would be getting more wars started up around the country. Tour de Nerf baby, get people to use the forums to do something useful to nerf: nerfing. locate a bunch of people around the country who have a place to nerf, and organize a huge tour of wars going coast to coast. kick it off with a YANO and end it with a NJNO. now, i doubt anyone has the money to do that, but i'll tell you, that's what evolved nerf would look like. evolved nerf would get people off the forums and into the game.

#7821 [evolution] - Stage One

Posted by rawray7 on 07 August 2003 - 10:20 PM in General Nerf

how exactly do "cool, thoughtful, etc..." posts become archived in the glory of Nerf Evolved. it says something like: type something, read it, and if it's cool, it will go down in NE history. i'm assuming you guys are just attempting to make posts more article-type material, but the real question is who deems it worthy of evolution? i mean, do the 'allstars' go through every post and pick the ones that are noteworthy, then evolutionate them? i guess i just don't understand how you're building your content. i mean, look around: NC's content was all done by about 4 guys, about 3-4 years ago; NHQ has very little content, and what's there is all done by about 6 guys; and even here there are about 7 people who have contributed anything, and only 2 contribute on a regular basis. i'm a little skeptical on how you're building content out of a vacuum of useful ideas. maybe the whole point is to make people think about what the fuck they're posting, and if you can pull it off, i salute you, because that really needs to happen; but an outlet for the creative ideas of the majority of the NIC is really a wasted cause, because to tell you the truth, i don't see too many creative ideas coming out of the average forum-schmuck.

in conclusion: i'm not doubting your site so much as i'm doubting the source you're intrusting the content level to. it just means that now i have to check 4 boards instead of 3 to try and find something interesting.