nine's Content

There have been 127 items by nine (Search limited from 12-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#326454 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 06 February 2013 - 07:11 PM in Modifications

What appears to be a regular old Rayven...

Posted Image

But is not actually that regular

Posted Image

Blowing into the end of this PVC inline clip feeds darts into the flywheels

Posted Image

Posted Image

Youtube Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8jwYPV9x7Q

#326253 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 02 February 2013 - 03:12 PM in Modifications

My new Longshot with panther integration.

Posted Image

The Panther has a hopper with a homemade wye.

Posted Image

Dart door on the end, design courtesy of cheesypiza001.

Posted Image

Standard Angel breech

Posted Image

Looks really cool.

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpl3lo5nVhc

#321247 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 30 August 2012 - 12:26 PM in Modifications

The Black Panther - A bad joke involving the name of the Panther

PVC couplered with a replaced pump.

Posted Image

Sweet polycarb plates to cover the stock pump hole

Posted Image

It looks great in my opinion

Posted Image

Youtube video

#320566 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 16 August 2012 - 02:26 PM in Modifications

I'm not sure if this counts as a mod or a home-made, so I'm going to post it here for now.

I'm calling it the sinkfinder, due to the fact that it is a nitefinder with a sink drain plunger tube and a bathtub plug plunger head.

Posted Image

Uses a magnetic holster

Posted Image

The plunger head gets a near perfect seal, though I did have to cut it down a bit

Posted Image

Hits 90-100' with an 8.5" cpvc barrel

Posted Image

koree's writeup for the holster

Youtube Video

#309789 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 19 January 2012 - 04:50 PM in Modifications

Deploy with nitefinder plunger tube.

Posted Image

Picture of the catch.

Posted Image

#331266 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 25 June 2013 - 05:07 PM in Modifications

The finished Fireskorpion: A Firefly shell with a Scorpion Bow plunger tube.

Posted Image

The internals:

Posted Image

Closeup of the catch:

Posted Image

Rear loading action!

Posted Image

Supa cool LEDs also.

Posted Image

Youtube Overview

#337922 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 31 March 2014 - 04:03 PM in Modifications

Finally modded something new:

It's a wrist mounted blaster that remains useable when using another blaster.

Posted Image

How it fits on the arm:

Posted Image

Close up of the trigger system:

Posted Image

And a video outlining the Effeminateness of the blaster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nNaMchXvKQ

#333742 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 04 September 2013 - 11:31 PM in Modifications

Finished modding and painting my super Nitefinder:

Posted Image

Supa nice gap filling for the minimization:

Posted Image

Money Shot!

Posted Image

Youtube Video

#333148 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 17 August 2013 - 01:53 AM in Modifications

Remeber the Black Panther? Well, get ready to meet its older brother.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Youtube Video

Don't question his life decisions!

#320405 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 13 August 2012 - 10:15 AM in Modifications

I painted the nitestrike from a while back

Posted Image

Money shot!

Posted Image

Youtube video

#328339 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 26 March 2013 - 09:07 AM in Modifications

A new Arm Cannon! This one only uses one tank though, and has a turret.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rear loads through these slots.

Posted Image

Super comfy.

Posted Image

Youtube Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vWOAFkKSrk

#320306 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 10 August 2012 - 04:01 PM in Modifications

I painted the Niteploy that I posted quite a while ago.

Posted Image

I also angel breeched it.

Posted Image

It shoots about 60 feet.

Posted Image

Youtube video

#317484 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 24 June 2012 - 01:09 PM in Modifications

Super amazing Longshot

Posted Image

Epoxy reinforcements on boltsled:

Posted Image

Streamline accepting breech:

Posted Image

Money shot!

Posted Image

#317353 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 22 June 2012 - 12:52 PM in Modifications

My Yoshi themed raider:

Posted Image

Supa sexy

Posted Image

Youtube video

#317199 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 19 June 2012 - 08:08 PM in Modifications

Put a 1.5 inch sink drain in a Recon, replaced the catch, angel breeched it and added a normal plunger.

Posted Image

Looks almost stock with the faux barrel:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Primed:

Posted Image

#319471 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 30 July 2012 - 02:08 PM in Modifications

My rear loading, cpvc barrelled firefly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It shoots between 50 and 60 feet.

Youtube video

#317720 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 29 June 2012 - 06:02 PM in Modifications

My Quadshot with 10" cpvc barrels and MIG reinforcements:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I attached a Longstrike stock with pvc and cpvc, and added ammo holders on the side closest to me

Posted Image

Youtube video

#319788 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 03 August 2012 - 11:29 AM in Modifications

Awesome Jolts!

Sporting a three dart rscb, hits 40s with a decent rof

Posted Image

Glued the ar into 1/2"pvc to act as a stopper.

Posted Image

Youtube video

Jolt integrated into a recon stock; modding a stock gun!

Posted Image

Fits right on to any n-strike stock attachment.

Posted Image

The pvc bars make it super sturdy.

Youtube video

#320185 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 08 August 2012 - 10:37 PM in Modifications

Nitemav with pretty sweet pj in my opinion.

Posted Image

My new secondary for neighborhood wars.

Posted Image

Youtube video

#312949 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 16 March 2012 - 05:05 PM in Modifications

Longstrike with Nitefinder plunger tube

Posted Image

Posted Image

Money shot!

Posted Image

Youtube video

#333200 2013 Nerf War Schedule

Posted by nine on 18 August 2013 - 05:16 PM in Nerf Wars

August:
[url=http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24294&st=0] 26th [AB] S.W.A.E.[/url]

#337590 Joint youtube channel

Posted by nine on 22 March 2014 - 01:24 PM in General Nerf

I'm kind of getting back into Nerf, and I would be interested in contributing to a collaborative YouTube channel every now and again. I feel like the community would benefit from some explanations of how blasters work and the like.

#337605 Joint youtube channel

Posted by nine on 22 March 2014 - 08:50 PM in General Nerf

Alright guys, I need some ideas on how the channel should work. I thought I might either have a community password so people could upload their own videos, but I didn't want people spamming the channel with bad-quality stuff. On the other hand, I could have a group of "channel leaders" (3-4 nerfers who like editing and are good at it) that could edit together clips that people post on a separate topic. This way, I have some help editing videos and we can keep the videos frequent. Any other suggestions?

Well, I would have no problems contributing my videos or just editing war footage that people send to me. I probably won't be that active, but I think I could manage posting a video once a month to the channel.

Edit: Also, I think that having only a core group of people with full access to the channel would be for the best.

#337613 Joint youtube channel

Posted by nine on 23 March 2014 - 03:09 AM in General Nerf

I had a few ideas like"NIC Official" or "Nerf Tube" (super original lol) but if anyone can come up with a better name, feel free to comment it.

What about the Nerf Internet Community Channel, or NICC for short. Seems like that would sum up what the channel is trying to achieve.

#337724 Joint youtube channel

Posted by nine on 26 March 2014 - 11:18 PM in General Nerf

I haven't had anything to upload lately :( I want to upload things, but there's nothing to show nor update, sooooo...
I'm interested to see where this goes. With multiple people putting up videos, the only concern I have is upload overload. Don't become Machinima or other popular channels that upload 5-10 videos a day. It's really annoying.

I don't see that many videos going up weekly. Only one or two would be posted every week, with a priority on quality.

Even if we pulled together most of the A list builders around here, there's no way in heaven we'd get that many uploads in a day, or in a week for that matter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems more like it would be a once-per-week overview of the activities of builders at that point in time with a few extra goodies tossed in. Personally, I can only put in one, maybe two uploads per month with my schedule. This would be a nice way to keep people interested, and see new channels from Nerfers they otherwise wouldn't know about.

I am also a Youtube Nerfer. I would have no problem lending in some footage so long as credit was given. In this way both the conglomerate channel and my personal channel can grow from this. Even loaning war footage I would be OK with so long as the contributor got credit for it.

This is pretty much what I think the channel will be used for. I believe that it is important for both the community and individuals involved to grow through this channel, so appropriate credit and linkage will be given in each video. I look forward to seeing your content on the channel.

Don't worry Bobo, we will only be doing one 10-20 minute episode eachweek depending on the topic. I also would love your help as a runner of the site if you can.

I don't see a reason to put such a large time on the videos, but there is really no reason to put any constraints on the creativity of the excellent nerving community. No more than a couple videos would go up each week though, to make sure that nobody's content is buried by new videos.

#332558 Dart and Barrels pictures thread

Posted by nine on 01 August 2013 - 12:06 AM in Darts and Barrels

Started making silicone tips for my darts a while ago, finally got around to posting them here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These two polyethylene boards have 200 molds total, so I can make a lot of identical dart heads quickly.
Posted Image

#331219 Nerf Elite Mega Centurion - Preview and Internals

Posted by nine on 24 June 2013 - 08:52 AM in News

What OMW could do to really make some cash is to make replacement normal plunger tubes. If that's not the case, hopefully the plunger tube happens to have the same inner diameter as a readily accessible dimension of PVC.

#332101 You say Panther?

Posted by nine on 18 July 2013 - 07:56 PM in General Nerf

On the plus side, these new tanks will be a lot easier to fit into tight spaces for integrations. I know that the old tank wasn't that difficult to work with, but this will allow for a cheap air tank that will fit in almost any blaster.
Don't get me wrong, I am not thrilled by this new change. I am simply showing the community that even a change as seemingly bad as this can still have some benefits.

#333001 You say Panther?

Posted by nine on 13 August 2013 - 10:18 PM in General Nerf

So I was hoping to warm up to modding again by working on a Panther, thinking it would be an easy quick primary. I went to target and picked up what I thought was a Panther re-shell; the Airmag extreme thing.

Much to my dismay, it had not only a smaller tank...

Posted Image

...but it seems they added ANOTHER OPRV!

Posted Image

Actually, I think that that OPRV is the only one in this version, because I can't seem to locate one on the pump shaft.

#337659 Welcome to Nerf Engineering

Posted by nine on 25 March 2014 - 12:55 AM in Darts and Barrels

Friction measurements are one thing we seriously lack. The problem in Nerf is actually worse than you might imagine. The friction force is a function of the coefficient of friction and the normal force. Neither is known. Roughly, what we do know is that tighter barrels will have higher normal force and that some materials have less friction than others.

I recall discussing some ways to estimate the friction force with Split a while back. He used the bulk modulus to estimate the normal force. I suggested something more complicated that probably would not be much more accurate than his approach. I should look more closely into this.

Spud gunners use a simulator called GGDT which allows you to specify the total friction pressure, which I call the pressure of friction. This is basically the total friction force divided by the surface area. It represents how high the pressure needs to rise for the projectile to move and In GGDT, static and dynamic friction are equal, which is not realistic or necessary, so I don't make this simplification. I stole this notation for my own work.

If you can blow a dart down a barrel, you can be sure that the static pressure of friction is lower than the maximum pressure your lungs can generate, which seems to be about 0.9 to 1.4 psi for men.

As for ideal barrel length, I'll make a thread detailing two simplified theories I developed, how to measure this experimentally, and how to estimate this via a computer simulator. My simplified theories give very approximate equations which can be useful to get a rough estimate of the actual ideal barrel length and understand the basic factors involved in ideal barrel length.

What if one were to put a dart into a barrel, and then place a light wooden dowel into the barrel behind the dart. Then, continually add mass in small increments to the dowel until the dart starts to move. At that point, the mass of the weighted dowel would approximately equal the Ffs of the dart in the barrel. Assuming that earth's gravity is 9.81m/s/s [down] at all locations, converting this mass to force in Newtons would be fairly simple.

I have no idea how many variables would need to be accounted for in order to solve for barrel length, but it seems logical to say that the best barrel length would be found where the acceleration of the dart equals zero. This would correlate with the maximum muzzle velocity of the dart. If there was a way to track the position of the dart inside of the barrel, it would be easy enough to make a function from that data, find the second derivative of that function and solve for y=0.

I'm not entirely sure if any of this is exactly practical, or if it is the best way to solve this problem. I would love to hear what you think about the subject, and hopefully the community will eventually find a use for the fruits of this labor.

#337637 Welcome to Nerf Engineering

Posted by nine on 23 March 2014 - 10:25 PM in Darts and Barrels

I would say that coefficients of friction for various brands of FBR on various brands of CPVC would be a good idea, but there is probably far too much inconsistency for useable data to be accumulated. Perhaps some common match ups could be outlined if a universal barrel length formula is ever created.

#337918 NERF COLLABORATION CHANNEL

Posted by nine on 31 March 2014 - 03:38 PM in General Nerf

Looks great, can you put the raw file into the channel dropbox?

Edit, just to avoid reposting the video

Thanks! I'll put it in the dropbox as soon as I get the link.

Nice nine, that looks awesome. Could you try and put it in the Dropbox?

Glad you like it. Where can I find this magic dropbox exactly?

The title card looks clean, good work.

Thanks, that means a lot.

#338079 NERF COLLABORATION CHANNEL

Posted by nine on 06 April 2014 - 01:40 PM in General Nerf

Okay everyone, I have been put in charge of making the introductory video for the channel. If you want to be a part of the face of the channel, leave a response in the thread. It doesn't have to be anything special or well edited, just something like this will do:

Leave a response, and I will do my best to cut you into the video. Also leave your channel url if you want to be linked in the video description.

Thanks for being a part of this awesome community, and I look forward to seeing this channel come to life.

#337899 NERF COLLABORATION CHANNEL

Posted by nine on 30 March 2014 - 10:36 PM in General Nerf

I took some time today to make a title card for the channel. If everyone likes the way it looks, we can use it to introduce all of the videos.

Let me know what you think of the design, as well as any improvements that I should make to the intro.

#337967 NERF COLLABORATION CHANNEL

Posted by nine on 01 April 2014 - 06:30 PM in General Nerf

I will be having one of my bi-weekly wars soon, and i guess i can get some war footage of that. we get around 60 people every other week in a large building that simulates an urban environment.
along with some footage of modifications or nerf builds (i specifically have my howler in mind as it has yet to be painted and finished.)

Great! I look forward to seeing both the footage and the blaster.

#337923 NERF COLLABORATION CHANNEL

Posted by nine on 31 March 2014 - 04:10 PM in General Nerf

Nice. Paintbush seems a little out of place but that probably says more about how I spend my time modding than it does about the quality of the title card.

I'm open to changing it if anyone can think of something that would fit the theme better.

#328083 Image of New Elite Blaster

Posted by nine on 16 March 2013 - 03:55 PM in General Nerf

If Nerf used flywheels in the design, hopefully they redesigned the flywheels somehow, like giving them a larger OD or better balance. It would be kind of lame if this used the exact same motors, flywheels and batteries as a Stryfe.
Also, am I the only one who is really curious about the darts pictured? Something tells me that the black tips are a more dense rubber, and might be designed to maximize range in high powered blasters.

#317239 Nining a Recon

Posted by nine on 20 June 2012 - 12:51 PM in Modifications

Well, well, well. Looks like I won't be able to claim originality for my power pills. I wanted to do the exact same thing to my recon, but I never got around to it. Nice job, this is rather well made. I would have used a skirt seal, but 70 feet with a bad seal is excellent. As long as it feeds reliably, you've beaten the retaliatior's range, so good job.

Thanks! I also would have liked to use a skirt seal, but I can't seem to find them or any decent sealing material anywhere. All I have is a huge box of o-rings.

#324668 Direct-plunger Longstrike

Posted by nine on 22 December 2012 - 11:49 AM in Modifications

I did make a direct plungered Longstrike a long time ago using a nitefinder plunger tube. Here's a link to the original writeup:

The Nitestrike

Feel free to PM me any questions.

Regards,
nine

#326001 Direct-plunger Longstrike

Posted by nine on 28 January 2013 - 07:08 PM in Modifications

I would go with trying psyks method.

If you had looked at the date that I posted that writeup, you would have noticed that I did this way before the elite line even came out.
Ergo, I created this mod long before psyk could have even thought about it.