Direct-plunger Longstrike

20 replies to this topic

#1 HardBeat101

HardBeat101

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hi,
I like the look of the longstrike, but I (like many others before me) was disappointed when it didn't deliver. I've read about ways to make your own direct-plunger system for the longstrike, which uses the notoriously poor reverse-plunger system.

But I wanted to know if it were possible to fit a longshot mechanism in a longstrike, I feel confident in my ability to do this from scratch, but just wanted to see if anyone had experience doing this...

Cheers in advance :)

#2 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • State:California

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

Here's a good place to start.

Edited by Mully, 28 January 2013 - 07:46 PM.

S.C.U.N.

#3 zx532

zx532

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • State:Connecticut

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

A good direct plunger mod is the "nined" recon
It is a recon, so it has to be adapted, but I actually did this with a longstrike, it's fairly simple.

(also, not entirely sure what the title was, but it was made by nine, or something like that. Might be a good place to start looking)
Progress: Just a long line of people saying "See? I told you it could be done"

#4 HardBeat101

HardBeat101

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

Thanks guys, I'm still not entirely sure as to where (and if) to ask questions in certain threads.

Thanks for the answers :)

#5 zx532

zx532

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • State:Connecticut

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Don't ask questions in older threads, send the original poster a message
Progress: Just a long line of people saying "See? I told you it could be done"

#6 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • State:Alberta
  • u/erfnay on Reddit
  • Erfnay on Youtube

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

I did make a direct plungered Longstrike a long time ago using a nitefinder plunger tube. Here's a link to the original writeup:

The Nitestrike

Feel free to PM me any questions.

Regards,
nine

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#7 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

psyk did a mod where he modified the direct plunger system of a Retaliator and fit it into the Longstrike.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#8 Apollo441

Apollo441

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • State:Victoria

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

No offence nine, but the nite strike isnt practical, the plunger tube is way to small.. I would go with trying psyks method.
USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Edited by Zorn's Lemma, 28 January 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#9 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

No offence nine, but the nite strike isnt practical, the plunger tube is way to small.. I would go with trying psyks method.

The Retaliator PT and a NF PT are roughly equivalent. Plus, you only drop $10 on sacrificial blasters instead of $25. Either way, you'll get the same range. If you really want to bitch about "too small", then just throw a mini-rainbow in there, like Louiec3 did years ago.

#10 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • u/erfnay on Reddit
  • Erfnay on Youtube

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

I would go with trying psyks method.

If you had looked at the date that I posted that writeup, you would have noticed that I did this way before the elite line even came out.
Ergo, I created this mod long before psyk could have even thought about it.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#11 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Xplorer are now selling a drop in kit, based around a direct plunger system and 12kg spring.
So now you have a commercial solution.

#12 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Xplorer are now selling a drop in kit, based around a direct plunger system and 12kg spring.
So now you have a commercial solution.

That seems like a lot of mass to add to a blaster. I'd suggest something more in the 150 Newtons area. Should be plenty of power.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#13 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

That seems like a lot of mass to add to a blaster. I'd suggest something more in the 150 Newtons area. Should be plenty of power.

When I say a 12kg spring, that means the mass required to compress the spring, and not the mass of the spring. And that would be 120 Newtons, given g =10 m/sec/sec

#14 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Error.

Edited by andtheherois, 28 January 2013 - 10:52 PM.

The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#15 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

When I say a 12kg spring, that means the mass required to compress the spring, and not the mass of the spring. And that would be 120 Newtons, given g =10 m/sec/sec

The point was that kilograms is mass, not force, and that to refer to springs with a mass rating that does not dEffeminatet their mass is ridiculous and inaccurate. Let alone the fact that their is no description of the deflection to achieve that "rating". Things like this are why I would rather wind my own spring than buy from a company like OMW. Now, if they were to give the "rating" in pounds, then that makes more sense, given that the direct assumption would then be that is the weight required to compress the spring. You can't argue around it, Hammy. It's just wrong.

Post Script: Mean Earth gravitational acceleration is 9.81m/s^2. Not 10. The world doesn't run on high school physics.

Post post script: I was making a recommendation to use 150N.

#16 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

The point was that kilograms is mass, not force, and that to refer to springs with a mass rating that does not dEffeminatet their mass is ridiculous and inaccurate. Let alone the fact that their is no description of the deflection to achieve that "rating". Things like this are why I would rather wind my own spring than buy from a company like OMW. Now, if they were to give the "rating" in pounds, then that makes more sense, given that the direct assumption would then be that is the weight required to compress the spring. You can't argue around it, Hammy. It's just wrong.

Post Script: Mean Earth gravitational acceleration is 9.81m/s^2. Not 10. The world doesn't run on high school physics.

Post post script: I was making a recommendation to use 150N.

Most of the world runs on the metric system, and g varies in different parts of the world, but I honestly don't think anyone cares.

#17 Crater

Crater

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

The point was that kilograms is mass, not force, and that to refer to springs with a mass rating that does not dEffeminatet their mass is ridiculous and inaccurate. Let alone the fact that their is no description of the deflection to achieve that "rating". Things like this are why I would rather wind my own spring than buy from a company like OMW. Now, if they were to give the "rating" in pounds, then that makes more sense, given that the direct assumption would then be that is the weight required to compress the spring.

The obvious response to that is "pounds are also mass and the same assumption goes for kilograms". That's not true, though. The pound in this case is a unit of force. /clarification

I also dislike how springs are rated in kilograms, and I don't think pounds are much better, just because everyone automatically thinks the pound is a unit of mass unless specified otherwise. Newtons per meter would be much better, because then the deflection wouldn't matter, and most people know that newtons are force.
Crater is a combination of a box and a dent in the ground. (Thanks Tangerle)

I'll stand on my head and gargle peanut butter for 70 dollars.

#18 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

So in all this mathematical shitfest, all we've done is show that Xplorer used a funny measurement. Either way, 12kg springs (whatever that means) are stronger than OMW springs, which are rated at 6kg, which get inverse-plungered blasters up to and over 50'. So, with the Xplorer kit running direct plungers and 12kg springs (whatever that means), you'll shoot really far. If you want to beat each other up about math and physics, please do it in private.

#19 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

So in all this mathematical shitfest, all we've done is show that Xplorer used a funny measurement. Either way, 12kg springs (whatever that means) are stronger than OMW springs, which are rated at 6kg...

Well technically, it shows that both of those companies are perpetuating fictitious or contrived specifications, and should just knock that shit off.

If you want to beat each other up about math and physics, please do it in private.

It's much more effective in public, because then everyone else can see how smart I am help correct the problem so that we can all compare apples to apples and not apples to Dirigible Plums.

#20 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

The OP asked about a direct plunger system for the longstrike, so I was just making the people who are reading this particalar thread aware that there is a drop in kit based around a retaliator plunger system, thats all. They can take it or leave it.

#21 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

This is why we don't allow necros because they turn into worthless conversations.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users