Nining a Recon

Take that N-Strike Elite!

20 replies to this topic

#1 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

For those of you that remember the Niteploy or Nitestrike, this is a step above both.

What you will need includes:
1.5” sink drain
1” cpvc endcap x1
3/4” cpvc endcap x2
Rubber washer
Dowel
Automotive screw
Washers: 1-5/16”
9/16” brass
17/32” brass
1/2” brass
15/32” brass
Spring (You will have to experiment here, I made my own)
3/16” Polycarbonate

The first thing you are going to want to do is cut your plunger tube to this length to 3 1/2" long

Now, you may notice that the shell is currently unwilling to accept the new plunger tube.

Beat it into submission:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now we need a way to hold the plunger tube in place. To do this, scratch up the top of the plunger tube and fix some epoxy putty to the scratches:

Posted Image

Make sure that the plunger tube still fits inside of the recon.

Once the putty has cured on the plunger tube, apply some to the inside of the shell, lubricate the entire plunger tube, and then press the plunger tube into the putty in the shell

Posted Image

Upon carefully removing the plunger tube, you should be left with this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now we shall assemble the plunger rod. Take your 3/4” cpvc endcap and cut a 1/4” groove in it, 3/16” from the sealed end. Now sand down the edge on the hollow end.

Hopefully these pictures clarify my crude explanation:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Drill a hole through the center of your plunger rod and endcap.

Now, to assemble our plunger rod, we will put together our materials in this configuration:

Posted Image
(I just used the smaller washer because the larger one would not hold on to the screw)

Fasten them together with your screw:

Posted Image

This is definitely not the best way to make a plunger rod, but it will have to do. Feel free to use your own seal making methods.

Another spring rest is required in order to make this blaster function, so cut the second 3/4” endcap to about 1/2” tall and drill a hole through large enough to accommodate the plunger rod:

Posted Image
(Mine is a bit less than 1/2”)

Now hot glue it where the stock spring used to rest:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Because we are now using a normal plunger system, we need to redo our catch to accommodate said system.

Take your 3/16 polycarb (or glue together two pieces of 3/32” polycarb” and trace the outline of the stock catch onto it.

Now cut out the catch to make it look like the picture:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Sorry that I don’t have a template or exact measurements. Just make sure that the catch is at the bottom of the groove of the shell when it is firmly in the groove on the plunger rod. Also, don’t forget to upgrade your catch spring.

Some quick reinforcements before we make it shoot.

Get a bread clip:

Posted Image

Cut it up like so:

Posted Image

Now glue it beneath your trigger arm:

Posted Image

This makes sure that pulling the trigger actually fires the blaster.

Finally, we have to make the breech. I will be constructing a 17/32 angel breech, but a 9/16 would work fine.

First, cut 5 1/16” of 9/16 brass, and add a 1 1/2” lip like so:

Posted Image

Now cut 1/2” of 17/32 and 1/2” brass respectively:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Pull out your 15/32 brass and cut off a 3 1/2” piece:

Posted Image

Glue all of these into the 9/16 using your favorite superglue, making sure the 15/32 is slightly behind the lip of the 9/16.

Now add a circle of neoprene to the end of the bolt:

Posted Image

To seal the breech with the plunger tube, cut a 1” cpvc endcap right at the end, like this:

Posted Image

Drill and sand a hole in the center to accommodate the bolt:

Posted Image

now goop, epoxy and hotglue a #11 o-ring over the hole:

Posted Image

You can then goop the endcap into your plunger tube, making sure it is level with the end.

Slip the bolt through the hole in the endcap and then add the breech connection nub, measuring 1 7/8”:

Posted Image
(Be sure to sand both surfaces)

Finally, we will add the barrel. Cut a 3 1/16 halfpipe in 17/32 brass and position it like so:

Posted Image

Wrap enough e-tape around it to support it in the stock faux barrel:

Posted Image

Reassemble, placing the internals like this:

Posted Image

Congratulations! You just finished your Nined (can I call it that?) Recon!

Ranges fall between 50 and 70 feet.

Youtube video

Edit: fixed seal and added firing video.

Edited by nine, 22 June 2012 - 06:26 PM.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#2 Bchamp22795

Bchamp22795

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

This is pretty awesome. How is the seal from the plunger tube to the breech with that gooped o-ring/washer?

#3 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

Cool, nice to see some ambitious Recon mods.

#4 Funky Mutha Facko

Funky Mutha Facko

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

I bet it gets 75ft at least. I love new internals in crummy blasters and this looks quite nice. Do you have an estimate on its power, maybe something you could compare it to?
HARDCORE NERF!

#5 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

This is pretty awesome. How is the seal from the plunger tube to the breech with that gooped o-ring/washer?

The seal is not that great actually. I may need to add some craft foam to the washer in order to improve it

I bet it gets 75ft at least. I love new internals in crummy blasters and this looks quite nice. Do you have an estimate on its power, maybe something you could compare it to?

I am guessing that it hits about 70, from pacing out ranges earlier today and comparing it to my firefly, which hits about 55.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#6 Bchamp22795

Bchamp22795

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

What tool did you use to cut out the catch poly?
Would I need a scroll saw?

In theory, you could cut that catch out with both a hacksaw and a power drill, or just a dremel with a few bits. In reality, a scroll saw or bandsaw, drill, dremel combo are the only options that are realistic.

#7 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

You keep saying "coupler" about pictures of end caps.
I don't think they're the same thing.
What tool did you use to cut out the catch poly?
Would I need a scroll saw?

Thank you for pointing that out, no endcaps and couplers are not the same thing, it was just a mistake on my part.

Secondly, I used a scroll saw to cut out my catch, though a dremel and cutting bit would work fine.

Check out my YouTube!

#8 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

Well, well, well. Looks like I won't be able to claim originality for my power pills. I wanted to do the exact same thing to my recon, but I never got around to it. Nice job, this is rather well made. I would have used a skirt seal, but 70 feet with a bad seal is excellent. As long as it feeds reliably, you've beaten the retaliatior's range, so good job.

#9 Guitarzan

Guitarzan

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Very very impressive man, you actually made a useful recon. I'm looking at doing something like this, but im waiting for the elite blasters so I at least have a stock plunger tube to work with.

#10 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

Well, well, well. Looks like I won't be able to claim originality for my power pills. I wanted to do the exact same thing to my recon, but I never got around to it. Nice job, this is rather well made. I would have used a skirt seal, but 70 feet with a bad seal is excellent. As long as it feeds reliably, you've beaten the retaliatior's range, so good job.

Thanks! I also would have liked to use a skirt seal, but I can't seem to find them or any decent sealing material anywhere. All I have is a huge box of o-rings.

Check out my YouTube!

#11 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

What hardware stores do you have near you? I'm sure that ACE or DiB carry rubber washers no matter where you are, and they should be carried at lowes or HD. You could also try a grommet seal, although I don't think they make grommets that large. And if all else fails, you could try a shmmee-head (oogoo or silicone).

Edited by Exo, 20 June 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#12 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

What hardware stores do you have near you? I'm sure that ACE or DiB carry rubber washers no matter where you are, and they should be carried at lowes or HD. You could also try a grommet seal, although I don't think they make grommets that large. And if all else fails, you could try a shmmee-head (oogoo or silicone).

I'll have to look in Lowes, since I don't think that there are any ACEs or Do It Bests in Canada.

Check out my YouTube!

#13 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

Nice mod! Just one thing; what does the catch notch look like on the plunger rod? I didn't see anything about it in the write-up, but I may have just missed it.
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#14 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Nice mod! Just one thing; what does the catch notch look like on the plunger rod? I didn't see anything about it in the write-up, but I may have just missed it.

Thanks! The catch notch looks like this:

Posted Image

It was in the write-up, but just reposting a picture is easier.

Check out my YouTube!

#15 Techshooter

Techshooter

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'll have to look in Lowes, since I don't think that there are any ACEs or Do It Bests in Canada.

They do make grommets that large that you can get at ACE, at least. I used to use grommets on all of my homemades, now I use skirts. The ones that I used are 1 1/4in., but that is not the actual OD. It's the size hole that it fits into. Put a 3/4in. washer in the middle, and two 1in. washers on the outside, and really crank it down. The seal great, but not as good as a skirt.

Anyway, great writeup. It reminds me of LT.'s Reconbow, this just has a bigger plunger tube, and shoots farther.
Squierls are sexy.
Techshooter

#16 cheyner

cheyner

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

From experience Nine, you are going to have an easier time finding them at Rona or Canadian Tire, Lowe's and Home Depot are useless, at least in Ontario they are. Rona is where I have gotten all of my rubber washers in the past.

Beaver's post claiming Kane's post claiming Demon Lord's post is correct is correct is correct.

Canadian Nerfers-R.I.P.

#17 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

From experience Nine, you are going to have an easier time finding them at Rona or Canadian Tire, Lowe's and Home Depot are useless, at least in Ontario they are. Rona is where I have gotten all of my rubber washers in the past.

Thanks for the tip! You have no idea how long I have been looking for rubber washers.

Check out my YouTube!

#18 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

You did well wit this, though it'd be nice to have a more descriptive title of what you actually did.
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#19 BMSCmods

BMSCmods

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

AMAZING. i broke my recon a little while back and i still have the parts and now im gonna have to pull it out of the bins to do this mod. very detailed. hope to see more from you

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 20 June 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#20 socal

socal

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

This is a very nice mod good job. i bet with elite darts it will out perfrom the new guns. id love to hear the ranges
Edit: do you have any problems with the chatch face slipping?

Edited by socal, 21 June 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#21 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

This is a very nice mod good job. i bet with elite darts it will out perfrom the new guns. id love to hear the ranges
Edit: do you have any problems with the chatch face slipping?

Thanks, but it probably won't accept the elite darts, unless they are only about two inches long. I don't think they will feed well into the 17/32 barrel either.
I do sometimes have problems with the catch face, though that is easily remedied by either rotating the plunger rod or replacing the entire thing with something like this:
Link

Check out my YouTube!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users