okto's Content

There have been 490 items by okto (Search limited from 23-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#31380 Yes. It's Just That Cool.

Posted by okto on 16 July 2004 - 03:24 AM in Modifications

out of true

ie, not straight. yes, i know they are for support (i use mine to protect the tips of nerf micros too).
duct tape<plumbers goop or better construction techniques.

#31537 Yes. It's Just That Cool.

Posted by okto on 17 July 2004 - 02:22 PM in Modifications

*shrug* tape melts, frays, and generally falls apart. so you have to keep retaping, with duct tape you cant really get it wet, and you get grass and stuff attached to bits of your gun.
if it was a ton of work to use plumber's goop and good construction techniques, i would understand. but it isn't.

#31372 Yes. It's Just That Cool.

Posted by okto on 16 July 2004 - 02:19 AM in Modifications

bad things:

zip ties
duct tape (plumbers goop/epoxy and e-tape are better at everything)
electrical tape (visible)
uncovered holes in case
barrels/barrel sheaths/"silencers" out of true

#31570 Yes. It's Just That Cool.

Posted by okto on 17 July 2004 - 08:29 PM in Modifications

well, dammit, if price is your main concern, that's a bit different. i didnt realize that was people's argument for tape (mostly cos they didnt mention it).
repetetive? take a stance, stick to it...thats how one argues a point. i dont think im better than you, or whatever, but i dont understand making a tacked-together looking gun when it takes only a little more effort to make it look good.

sidenote: i laughed at that 'paint a pretty picture' bit cos its classic 'i dont understand art or care to so im going to react to it rather than engage my mind to try to understand it' stuff. artists hate that, it belittles art as a fanciful waste of energy cos it doesnt serve a measurably useful purpose. aesthetics is important. it's secondary to function, but the two are not exclusive of each other.

#45151 Xbow Spring

Posted by okto on 30 December 2004 - 05:07 PM in Modifications

Bolts are kinda overkill...a sheet metal L and triangle behind the spring wall should be plenty.
The triangle goes vertically behind the wall to support it.

#45154 Xbow Spring

Posted by okto on 30 December 2004 - 05:28 PM in Modifications

People have had success finding appropriate springs at ACE hardware. My Xbow has my BBB's spring in it, and it works quite well. I only use the BBB inside anyway, so I didn't need to squeeze every inch of range out of it, and it's a lot quieter with the Xbow spring.

#49896 X-box And Computer Networking

Posted by okto on 17 March 2005 - 05:15 PM in Off Topic

To go wireless, you have to get a wireless bridge. They're usually kinda expensive, but a couple companies (Linksys jumps to mind) make ones specially geared toward game consoles. Look at Linksys, Belkin, and Netgear; I personally prefer Linksys. Froogle will help you find a good deal once you decide which device you want.

Talio, it's the off-topic forum. If you don't want to help, shut up; remember how post-whoring works?

#32310 X-bow Finished..

Posted by okto on 26 July 2004 - 02:46 AM in Modifications

gear down, turbo.
how, do you know the plunger head isnt on backwards? i mean, he said he wasnt sure which way it went...im not stealing your amazing guru advice. calm.

#32330 X-bow Finished..

Posted by okto on 26 July 2004 - 02:15 PM in Modifications

again, kids, it was put forward as a suggestion. if your tolerance for stupid moves is that low...*laughs* you guys must be a blast IRL.

#32307 X-bow Finished..

Posted by okto on 26 July 2004 - 01:44 AM in Modifications

One more thing i was skeptical about, see the plunger at the end of the cocking barell. When i originally took teh gun apart i couldnt remember if it went in or out.

i think you put your plunger head on backwards. the gasket on a lot of spring guns is flared, so it forms a two-way valve. so it only works (well) one way. try flipping it around.
PETG is a bad choice. 9/16 brass, maybe 19/32. the three shots thing sounds like a too-tight barrel.
hotglue is a bad idea. i only use it to secure things in place in the gun, ie hoses, parts that are designed to be held tight by the two halves of the case but are loose, that bit.

#32293 X-bow Finished..

Posted by okto on 25 July 2004 - 09:26 PM in Modifications

sounds like a combination of leak and too much friction. what did you seal the barrel onto the cylinder with?

#42121 Wwe

Posted by okto on 20 November 2004 - 05:45 PM in Off Topic

plus he's Norse. he'll vike your ass.

#42034 Wwe

Posted by okto on 18 November 2004 - 10:15 PM in Off Topic

hahahahaha!

*reads one man's post again to make sure it's real*

wahahahahahahahaha! *tears*

#32959 Would You Buy Watermelon Pink 1/2" FBR?

Posted by okto on 02 August 2004 - 10:01 PM in General Nerf

well...shit. pink sucks. but i'll probably buy some anyway...my darts will still be easier to find *sigh*.
tell the manufacturer they suck for telling you it was red.

#33156 Would You Buy Watermelon Pink 1/2" FBR?

Posted by okto on 04 August 2004 - 09:14 PM in General Nerf

he's well aware. and he'll get enough people. he has no competition: where else can you buy brightly colored 1/2" FBR?

tallshit, can i reverse my vote? i voted no initially, but decided that findability is a lot more important than aesthetic color scheme.

#44566 Wooden Darts

Posted by okto on 22 December 2004 - 09:59 PM in Homemades

Um...are you trying to kill people? Wooden missiles are not Nerf, man.

#44606 Wooden Darts

Posted by okto on 23 December 2004 - 02:21 AM in Homemades

Periods?

To make it stronger, you could drill a dowel-sized hole in the back of the main part, then glue the dowel into that hole. Mechanical joints are (nearly) always better than adhesive ones.
Also, angle the fins along the axis of the dowel to spin-stabilize it. This will tend to make it more accurate.

#48253 Why Are Maverics So Rare?

Posted by okto on 28 February 2005 - 02:15 PM in General Nerf

*Maverick. I don't usually bother with spelling anymore, but come on...two different misspellings of a word that's not hard to?

#32225 Who Would Buy Colored Backer Rod?

Posted by okto on 24 July 2004 - 02:58 AM in General Nerf

ill trade you some 1/2" CPVC for some red backer rod :nugget:

#31938 Who Would Buy Colored Backer Rod?

Posted by okto on 21 July 2004 - 02:16 PM in General Nerf

"almost invisible in grass red color" of the airjet darts

you must have some weeeeeird grass...

#32046 Who Would Buy Colored Backer Rod?

Posted by okto on 21 July 2004 - 11:45 PM in General Nerf

sentences! use them, cheese!

to straighten darts, toss them in the dryer for a couple (like two) minutes. straightens them up like a charm.
theres no way the FBR is gonna come in straightened lengths. the FBR gets extruded onto spools, it's coiled from the second it's made. straightened rod would probably cost three times as much, or more.
yall are unbelievably damn lazy.

ShortShit, what kind of minimum order are they quoting you?

#31685 Who Would Buy Colored Backer Rod?

Posted by okto on 19 July 2004 - 02:33 PM in General Nerf

absolutely. after this poll runs a while, you should have a poll on what color. id vote red or blue. where/how are you going to get colored backer rod made?

#32098 Who Would Buy Colored Backer Rod?

Posted by okto on 22 July 2004 - 02:43 PM in General Nerf

100 feet here.

#31806 Who Would Buy Colored Backer Rod?

Posted by okto on 20 July 2004 - 02:35 PM in General Nerf

"from nerf with love"
red sounds good. and then people can make stefans to look like stock micros. DO EET.

#31739 Who Would Buy Colored Backer Rod?

Posted by okto on 19 July 2004 - 07:46 PM in General Nerf

i think dayglo orange would probably beat green since the average nerfer loses the most darts to grass, so as far from green as possible is good.
my grey backer rod costs $0.15/ft...i'd pay twice that much to be able to FIND my darts, so i'd pay $0.30/ft. maybe even as much as $0.40 or $0.50 if thats the cheapest it can be gotten, but that's pushing it.
if quantity is a question (like they want to know how big a run of colored stuff you want), put me down for 50 feet. again, i'd go up to 100 feet if it helps the availability; too many or too expensive findable darts is better than unfindable cheap ones.

#31901 Who Would Buy Colored Backer Rod?

Posted by okto on 21 July 2004 - 02:03 AM in General Nerf

yeah, but theyll make even more if we buy special-order backer rod that costs twice as much.

#40533 Which One Is Better....

Posted by okto on 01 November 2004 - 09:49 PM in Modifications

the RF20 pump could be metal reinforced, as well as some other places in the gun.

i've been thinking about replacing the pump shaft with aluminum, cos i don't like it bending.
i've already got an aluminum trigger, and i want to add some structural metal as well, in the grip and the rear molding around the butt end of the pump...mine's loose as a goose when i pump it, and i want it to last.

#32639 Where To Buy

Posted by okto on 29 July 2004 - 10:31 PM in Homemades

what gun are you modding? you should read cxwq's mod 401 on choosing the right barrel for your gun.

#32566 Where To Buy

Posted by okto on 29 July 2004 - 12:05 AM in Homemades

copper doesn't. it comes in standard-ish sizes like 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, and 1"
copper is a terrible barrel material, don't worry about it.

#42432 What Is Up With The Site?

Posted by okto on 25 November 2004 - 12:40 AM in Site Feedback

winXP and firefox are giving me the alt text for all the widgets on the site (ie printing "New Posts" instead of my friendly orange thingy).

#32122 What FBR Color Would Be The Coolest?

Posted by okto on 22 July 2004 - 05:16 PM in General Nerf

for 2 bucks a dart, you can have that.

#32221 What FBR Color Would Be The Coolest?

Posted by okto on 24 July 2004 - 01:09 AM in General Nerf

Phospherous (sp?) Glow in the dark FBR.

It can be done, but only god knows how expensive it'd be.

not to mention toxic and highly flammable.

do they make/sell GITD hot glue? if i remember right, the creepy crawlers goo was a lot like hot glue...but that was loooong ago.

#32223 What FBR Color Would Be The Coolest?

Posted by okto on 24 July 2004 - 01:27 AM in General Nerf

want.
where?

#48689 What Does The Word Nerf Mean?

Posted by okto on 04 March 2005 - 07:09 PM in General Nerf

I've seen french movie titles with the word nerf in it and buffy also known as nerf herder. But I really have no clue what it means.

'Nerf' means nerve in French.

#48693 What Does The Word Nerf Mean?

Posted by okto on 04 March 2005 - 08:26 PM in General Nerf

Perhaps it just sounded good and foam-y.
Tylenol doesn't mean anything. Neither does Pepsi. Brand names don't have to have any sort of etymology or meaning.

#48776 What Does The Word Nerf Mean?

Posted by okto on 05 March 2005 - 04:43 PM in General Nerf

EDIT
Sorry, there was unnecessary stuff here.

#48837 What Does The Word Nerf Mean?

Posted by okto on 05 March 2005 - 11:17 PM in General Nerf

Nope. Read as far as nerf bars, saw THIRST's big long post about animals, and that's all.
I stand corrected. My apologies.

#36452 Was The Pentagon Hit?

Posted by okto on 05 September 2004 - 01:53 AM in Off Topic

the french sure do love to be outraged. especially at those dang americans who pump millions of tourist dollars into their economy and have saved them from the germans twice <_<

#31145 _texas _wars?

Posted by okto on 14 July 2004 - 03:32 AM in Nerf Wars

search for 'texas' turned up NA-thing. are there no texas nerfers? is the greatest state in the union entirely unrepresented?

#31168 _texas _wars?

Posted by okto on 14 July 2004 - 12:00 PM in Nerf Wars

i dont know alex...when did they?

cxwq, i wasnt aware i was. sorry.