wisdom000's Content

There have been 39 items by wisdom000 (Search limited from 19-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#262130 Longstrike Cs-6 Revealed

Posted by wisdom000 on 17 January 2010 - 09:58 AM in General Nerf

Jesus Christ.....

I don't know whether to laugh at or just feel pity for some of the posters on this thread.

Nerf guns are TOYS people. Nerf makes them for CHILDREN, and occasionally for office workers. The do not make these guns with the concern of adults who want to take them apart to make them shoot farther in mind.

While Nerf is certainly aware of the NIC, you are NOT the reason they make these guns. Nor do you get to decide what playing with Nerf guns is all about. Understand, the typical kid doesn't give a rat fuck how far a blaster shoots if it looks like something his spastic 3 year old brother drew in crayon. They want blasters that look cool, and let them play soldier or whatever. You want proof of this, just look at the sales difference between the older blasters, and the new N-Strike blasters, the difference is staggering.

On one hand, I love the NIC, the ingenuity and inventiveness I see come out of this community amazes me. On the other hand, for a group of adults and young adults whose hobby is publicly playing with childrens toys, the amount of pretentiousness and elitism I see in the NIC is ridiculous and it sickens me.

#259881 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by wisdom000 on 27 December 2009 - 05:18 AM in Modifications

I don't nerf, so pleaze people, stop messaging me telling me to stop painting my guns realistically. I don't run around in public with these things, they only act as wall decoration and for the occasional nerf free for all gunfight among my roleplaying group.

In fact it was specifically to keep their hands off my more expensive pieces that I decided 8 months ago to give each member of my gaming group (we play cyberpunk 2020 most of the time) their own nerf guns. So I tracked down several nerf eliminators (bought a couple from posters here on the boards), and custom painted them for each player, then let them draw lots to see who got first pick. Only one has the air restrictor removed, which is to be used by the gm.

I did these about 6 months ago, since then they have seen a LOT of use as sometimes entire gaming sessions have degenerated into things the players who aren't actually taking their turn for the round seeing who they can hit in the head by rebounding their shot off the 15 foot ceiling. Unfortunately this means the paint has begun rubbing off on a few of them, or has been chipped from rough use. But they still look pretty good. My favorites are the Silver and gold pair. I don't have picks, but the areas under the slides have been detailed as well.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

There was a blue and flourescent green one as well, but the player who got that one took it home with him, so no picks. I painted it in those colors because they are not only the color scheme of my Cyberpunk 2020 website, but also because it looked cool under the blacklight.

#259805 Shell Shock.... Sticking Slide...

Posted by wisdom000 on 26 December 2009 - 07:52 AM in Modifications

Well, I took it apart to take pictures, found the reason the slide was sticking, but it is now irrelevant, as a tab on the plunger that acts as a guide for the cocking catch broke off, pretty much destroying all functionality of the gun. It's too bad, cause it really is the coolest looking foam thrower I have ever seen, and contrary to popular belief it's ranges weren't that bad, similiar to a maverick. Of course the actual firing mechanism was pretty much the same as a mav, so thats no surprise. It's only real problem is it's just so damn cheaply made, other than that its a pretty damn innovative and interesting gun.

There are pics of it in the Paintjobs thread for anyone interested, along with my second recon and my raider.

#259599 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by wisdom000 on 22 December 2009 - 09:04 PM in Modifications

Here are my most recent...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Still no internal pics on the Shell Shock, will post those when I can.

#259214 Shell Shock.... Sticking Slide...

Posted by wisdom000 on 16 December 2009 - 10:41 PM in Modifications

What gun are you talking about. The PAS

Where did you get that idea?

Anyways, try taking most if not all the internals out of the gun so its just the shell and install the slide on it and try cocking it. If it moves then everyone here is right and you reassembled it wrong. If not, then we can assume the paint is holding it. In which case give it several days to completely dry and try it. If it still doesn't work then sand off the paint underneath the slide.

I know how to paint a gun, it's NOT the paint. Regardless, I painted it over a month ago. Other than the "locking" of the slide in the forward position, it operates smoothly.

I have pics of it assembled, but I don't have access to a digital camera at the moment to take pictures of the internals.

As I stated, it is an internals problem, but I will be damned if I can figure out what it is. When I can get a camera I will post interior pictures, sorry for starting the thread without the ability to get the pictures up.

#259131 Shell Shock.... Sticking Slide...

Posted by wisdom000 on 15 December 2009 - 11:40 PM in Modifications

Too much paint or gloss coating.

Unfortunately I wish it was that simple...

It's definitely something internal thats catching, I just can't figure out what...

#259129 Shell Shock.... Sticking Slide...

Posted by wisdom000 on 15 December 2009 - 11:27 PM in Modifications

It's been a while since I posted, and I am aware that the Shell Shock is considered trash by pretty much everyone. But I had to get one, it just looks too cool. And damned if doesn't look even cooler in my hand.

So anyway, I took it apart and got it all painted, but when I put it back together the slide sticks like crazy. I have taken the damn thing apart and put it back together at least 2 dozen times. I have taken pieces out that looked like they were the cause, checked and re-checked to make sure I was putting them back in right. But no matter what, to have all the pieces in that make the gun work, I am left with the slide sticking so bad that I am afraid I am going to break the damn thing by forcing it to charge....

Anyone with any experience with these things have a clue what I may be doing wrong?

#237067 Longshot Banana Clip

Posted by wisdom000 on 18 June 2009 - 04:25 AM in Modifications

I really wish people would stop taping magazines together and calling them "Banana Clips". That's NOT what a "banana clip" is. A "banana clip" is a curved magazine, like on an AK-47 or an MP-5.

What you are making is just a pair off goddamn magazines duct taped together, that is what is known as a "dual magazine". Not saying it wasn't a good idea, but it's not a "Banana Clip".

To re-iterate:

This is a "Banana" Magazine, it is called that because of it's shape
Posted Image

And stop calling magazines clips. The Recon, Longshot, Shell Shock, RFR, and the upcoming Raider use Magazines. To illustrate the difference between a "clip" and a "magazine"
Posted Image

For a forum that places such importance on grammar and post quality, it always boggles me that such a thing goes unnoticed.

I realize that to many of you, the difference is semantic, but it's like calling a kettle a skillet, or a coffee mug a martini glass.

#233230 An Open Letter To New Posters And Anyone On The Waiting List!

Posted by wisdom000 on 29 May 2009 - 05:22 AM in General Nerf

I think from now on I will just keep my mouth shut here except in sales threads or when I am showing off a new paintjob. It's just not worth it. I am sorry now I have wasted my time and everyone elses.

#231988 My First Attempt To Paint/mod Nerf

Posted by wisdom000 on 22 May 2009 - 10:13 PM in Modifications

First time, bro?

Great job!

But it should belong in the pinned "Modification/paintjob Pictures" thread, found here > http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=5250

This deserves its own thread. First mav/ MP3 integration. :D

Agreed. MP3 integration is definately something that needs it's own write-up.

Heck, that should be entered into the contest, it would get my vote!

#231985 An Open Letter To New Posters And Anyone On The Waiting List!

Posted by wisdom000 on 22 May 2009 - 10:09 PM in General Nerf

Now, if only the grammar and spelling in that post were proper, then we would have a good bit of advice.

Again, your and you're.

I mispelled "relatively", but nowhere in my post did I confuse "your" for "you're."

#231949 An Open Letter To New Posters And Anyone On The Waiting List!

Posted by wisdom000 on 22 May 2009 - 07:52 PM in General Nerf

I am relatvely new here myself, been posting for just under a month. I am not trying to backseat mod, or stick my nose in anyones business. I realize many of you newer posters may be young, or may be from a non-english speaking country. Some of you may in fact be truly mentally handicapped. I don't know, I am not here to pass judgement.

I am here to offer a wee bit of advice.

If you are stuck waiting for the mods to approve your account, use the time to look around, take notice of behavior that is getting people banned left and right. You may notice that in warnings, posters are told quite emphatically to read the Code Of Conduct. the link to the COC is right here and if you hadn't noticed you can reach it from anywhere on the board by the link right underneath the site logo at the top of the page.

I don't know about any of you, but I had to wait months to get in here. And in that time I did my best to familiarize myself with the rules, regulations, and customs of this forum. It postively amazes me, that even after all the waiting for approval, people still come here and just piss all over the COC. Age is not an excuse,, not speaking english is not an excuse, and mental handicap is not an excuse.

I am not saying this because I care about you new people in any way. In fact, you bastards are competition when someone is selling something groovy. What I do care about is that you piss off the mods and owners, people who I am sure are generally awesome guys. Instead of getting to participate in the fun and discussions, they have to spend all their time babysitting. This, makes them grumpy, and prone to an itchy ban-hammer trigger finger.

And the bitch of it is, it could all be avoided if you newer members, and those of you waiting for approval, would take 30 seconds of your time to read the damn COC, and pay attention to the way other people communicate here.

I came here after hearing about the iron fisted moderation that occurs here, slightly afraid. But in my brief time here I have come to respect the mods of this place, if I had to deal with half the redundant and ignorant nonsense they do, I would have just closed the place to new members altogether. So be grateful, show them your support.

One last thing. If you get a warning, consider yourself lucky. DO NOT argue with the mods, don't get in their face about it. Pay attention to what they are saying, and follow their directions.

I would personally like to see people like Talio and Slug in a good mood for a change, not burdened by the inanity of people who can't be bothered to follow the very simple rules laid out for them. This is their forum, and by god they should have fun here too.

#231204 Cosmetics

Posted by wisdom000 on 18 May 2009 - 09:31 PM in General Nerf

Allow a word from the other side of the fence. I don't war, other than spontaneous gunfights that erupt in my house with my friends. These guns are decoration for me. They are functional, I remove the air, restrictors. But for me it is far more important that they look cool than that they actually shoot anything. Not to say I don't like shooting them, but cosmetic mods and paintjobs are the reason I got into it the first place.

#230724 Brit's Paint Tutorial

Posted by wisdom000 on 17 May 2009 - 02:23 AM in Modifications

The Scout I bought from Venom arrived yesterday. A standard red and black version. Today it looks like this.

Posted Image

At a challenge from Britnerfmogul, I hand painted this. still not sold of hand painting over spray, especially for the gray, but I gotta admit, I do like the way this turned out.

#230662 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by wisdom000 on 16 May 2009 - 08:23 PM in Modifications

The Scout I bought from Venom arrived yesterday. A standard red and black version. Today it looks like this.

Posted Image

At a challenge from Britnerfmogul, I hand painted this. still not sold of hand painting over spray, especially for the gray, but I gotta admit, I do like the way this turned out.

#230107 New Raider CS-35 Speculation Thread

Posted by wisdom000 on 13 May 2009 - 10:27 PM in General Nerf

Amazon is listing the raider, it's not available for pre order yet, but they are listing it:

http://www.amazon.co...2270641&sr=1-28

They are also releasing something on July 15th called the Nerf Clip System Darts 36pk. I don't know what that is, but it sounds like it might be the drum magazine... which would be awesome, being able to just buy that without buying the whole gun...
http://www.amazon.co...2270641&sr=1-30

Also available on that date is the Nerf Whistler Darts 36pk
Which sounds like darts that will do what the Sonic darts were originally advertised as doing...

#229502 Modular Longshot.

Posted by wisdom000 on 10 May 2009 - 10:22 PM in Modifications

Thanks everyone.

As for the fg trigger. I cut down the stock trigger mech (the orange piece the "handle/trigger" slides into), and wrapped/attached a piece of hangar wire to it, so it comes down like a normal trigger.

Then I added the ear piece of an old pair of sunglasses so I wouldn't cut myself and for comfort.

You can kind of see it sticking out in the picture of all the accessories. I will try and take some pictures of it, but since I had to glue on the rails, as well as covers for the back, I can't take it apart to show internals.

Since I am pretty much out of nerf guns I am interested in, I am planning on scratch-building something pretty cool.

#229451 Modular Longshot.

Posted by wisdom000 on 10 May 2009 - 07:04 PM in Modifications

As I've said before my friend, I like this alot.

I do have one question. What paint did you use?

Krylon indoor/outdoor Italian Olive with satin finish, Krylon fusion black with Satin Finish, and Krylon hammered texture black for the barrel, magazine, trigger, charging handles (made with soda bottle caps), and other "supposed-to-be-bare-metal" parts.

All spray paints. For touch up work, I spray a hefty amount of the pain into a jar or small bottle.

For some of the other guns I use metallic sharpies or paint pens for detail work.

I wish I had the patience to go the hand painting route, unfortunately I do not.

#229444 New Raider CS-35 Speculation Thread

Posted by wisdom000 on 10 May 2009 - 06:43 PM in General Nerf

Hey, don't blame me. I assumed that's what you colloquially known as. My apologies if it's not so.

To rephrase - You AMERICANS will get it either the same time, or maybe a bit early.

And Schizo, I agree with your stock comment. I will be throwing it in my box of bits as soon as it arrives.

As a yankee (both continentally and globally) living in a southern state that borders Texas, I say, don't mind him... Texans have issues, which is why they claim everything is bigger and why they have such a hard time getting along with others :P

#229441 Modular Longshot.

Posted by wisdom000 on 10 May 2009 - 06:36 PM in Modifications

Because my pm box is filling up I figured I would just repost it here, and answer questions publicly for anyone else who may be interested...

Wanting a fully modular LS, I removed the foregrip bit, as though I were going to do a fg integration, and instead glued a rail on there (taken from the recon barrel extension) and I covered up the hole with a cover of a hand held game I got from mcdonalds.

Posted Image

Then I set to work on accessories.

Posted Image

The first accessory is just the top front half of a ls fg, it doesn't do anything, it just looks neat to me.

Posted Image

I kept the top half from one of the other FG's to make a loser barrel extension. I had seen this done before, however, I haven't seen anyone add a rail to it, nor have I seen anyone do a removable bipod... (recon target light mounted under the ls as well)

Posted Image

And here is the bipod mounted to the LS.

Posted Image

And of course it never would be complete if I didn't add the FG integration...

Posted Image

The problem with that was, the connection mech for nerf accessories is kinda weak and wobble, I fixed that for the fg by inverting the leftover rail from the recon barrel extension, now it fits smooth and tight.

Posted Image

As per PM request, here are detail shots of the LS underbarrel rail, so you can see how smooth it is. Forgive quality, they were taken on my cellphone, as the digicam had already been returned to it's owner.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#229310 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by wisdom000 on 10 May 2009 - 06:13 AM in Modifications

But for second I stayed with the PR style, but I tried my hand at some advanced cosmetic modding. Wanting a fully modular LS, I removed the foregrip bit, as though I were going to do a fg integration, and instead glued a rail on there (taken from the recon barrel extension) and I covered up the hole with a cover of a hand held game I got from mcdonalds.

Posted Image

Then I set to work on accessories.

Posted Image

The first accessory is just the top front half of a ls fg, it doesn't do anything, it just looks neat to me.

Posted Image

I kept the top half from one of the other FG's to make a loser barrel extension. I had seen this done before, however, I haven't seen anyone add a rail to it, not have I seen anyone do a removable bipod... (recon target light mounted under the ls as well)

Posted Image

And here is the bipod mounted to the LS.

Posted Image

And of course it never would be complete if I didn't add the FG intergration...

Posted Image

The problem with that was, the connection mech for nerf accessories is kinda weak and wobble, I fixed that for the fg by inverting the leftover rail from the recon barrel extension, now it fits smooth and tight.

Posted Image

#229309 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by wisdom000 on 10 May 2009 - 06:11 AM in Modifications

[quote="wisdom000"]Ok, as promised, better pics of my vulcan...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also repainted my Recon. I hated it in all black, looks much better now I think.

Posted Image.

Posted Image

And my girlfriend bought me a doubleshot, woot.

Posted Image

When I got the vulcan, it came with 2 longshots, I love the pulse rifle look, but decided to go with gray to match the recon for the first...

Posted Image

#228952 Recon Shoots 50'

Posted by wisdom000 on 08 May 2009 - 04:21 AM in General Nerf

Wierd... all I did was take out the air restrictors and after shooting a magazine, the max range was 53 feet, average was 47 and minimum was 39 (that dart was warped). all flat.

And that was shooting against a pretty strong wind.

#228690 Vulcan Jamming Heavily?

Posted by wisdom000 on 06 May 2009 - 08:41 PM in Modifications

Okay, so a friend and I just went back and bought a new vulcan to replace the insides of mine with...giving up hope on the other one.

We replace them, and the NEW vulcans insides refuse to rotate! It sounds much cleaner than the other one, but it still refuses to rotate after being put together, minus a few rotations went it first was started up.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS THIS GUNS PROBLEM? I will get pictures if needed, but it's rediculous

So, I have NEW internals in the OLD gun. But it wasn't just replacing a few pieces, it was the ENTIRE thing. So it SHOULD work, shouldn't it?

Why wouldn't you just use the new gun?

You are sure that when you try try to fire, the plunger piece that comes out to seal over the belt shell isn't getting stuck? In the safe position, it should be flush with the gun.

#228467 Crazy Prices You Bought Your Guns

Posted by wisdom000 on 06 May 2009 - 03:09 AM in General Nerf

I got a Vukcan and 2 value pack Longshots (extra mags, darts, and green lights) for 30 (shipping included) all new in box.

And Saturday I picked up another Vulcan for 10 bucks on craigslist.

#228097 Vulcan Jamming Heavily?

Posted by wisdom000 on 04 May 2009 - 11:46 AM in Modifications

Ahhh, I see. So that actually effects the rotating mech then? Or is this just for the plunger mech? I don't see how the spring around the plunger is effecting the lower end of the gun. o.o;

also, if I do have to stretch it...how much do I have to do it?

Currently, my plunger is launching just fine, but the rotating mech doesn't go at all and you can hear something (I'm assuming the gears) rattling against each other as if they are stuck.

If the plunger doesn't retract, which is what the spring makes happen, then the rotation mechanism doesn't cycle properly.

This fix is only for the Vulcan flaw that causes the plunger mechanism to jam in the extended (shell sealing) position. If the plunger is retracting, and the cog isn't turning, then the problem is the little lever with the spring action tooth that rotates the feeding cog. Fixes for that can also be found, but doing so is risky as the piece is fairly fragile.

#228058 Vulcan Jamming Heavily?

Posted by wisdom000 on 04 May 2009 - 03:44 AM in Modifications

Okay, I'll start to make sure I've got everything working again before disassembling it.

Do you know what spring(s) wisdom000 is talking about?

The spring isn't shown in any of the above pictures, and like I said, getting afraid to take apart my own vulcan. However I did borrow one of splitlips images to show you where the spring is. You can actually see a piece of it behind the mechanism cover.

Posted Image

#227826 Recon Forgrip Mod

Posted by wisdom000 on 03 May 2009 - 03:28 AM in Modifications

So um... wheres the banana clip? What is the "Tech-9" mod?

Wisdom why can you not let those things go.
Yes, those posts were mistakes but I don't take every mastake you've made and repedely rub it in your face.

Dude... what?????

I have mentioned them a total of twice. 1 time saying I hoped you didn't get banned (for your consistantly poor grammar and posting quality) before I saw them. Which in other words meant I was on your side. The 2nd time I was simply asking what you were talking about.

You have replied to that second post 3 times now. So I have to ask... Are you on drugs or something?????

#227825 Vulcan Jamming Heavily?

Posted by wisdom000 on 03 May 2009 - 03:16 AM in Modifications

Vulcans are somewhat infamous for breaking down.

My first 2 broke down in the same fashion within an hour or so of use.

Are your symptoms as follows:
Grinding gears
No motion of feed cog or back and forth motion
Irreparably jammed plunger

If so, I don't think you can fix it. I tried with the second.

Perhaps, Salindin Naz is right. Don't fuck with it if you don't know what'll happen.

Besides, the Vulcan is only useful indoors as a corridor defense weapon.

Axtually, the fix for that one I discovered is pretty easy. Heres a post to my fix at NHQ, (hope linking to other forums is ok):

http://www.nerfhq.co...hp?topic=8419.0

#227602 Recon Forgrip Mod

Posted by wisdom000 on 02 May 2009 - 03:36 AM in Modifications

So um... wheres the banana clip? What is the "Tech-9" mod?

#227567 Recon Forgrip Mod

Posted by wisdom000 on 01 May 2009 - 09:48 PM in Modifications

I am kinda sad this guy is going to get banned for not paying attention to the warnings the mods already gave him before I see his "banana clip" "Tech-9" mod....

#227503 Season Of Foam Trip Map

Posted by wisdom000 on 01 May 2009 - 05:02 PM in Nerf Wars

Just as an offer, if you guys need a place to stay between the Topeka/Texas leg of your trip, I am in NW Arkansas.

No nerf events or anything, hell I have never been to a nerf event in my life, just a couple of warm couches, and a friendly house.

#227460 Gorram Paint Bloom...

Posted by wisdom000 on 01 May 2009 - 12:39 PM in Modifications

Following a suggestion from a friend on another forum I simply went back and resprayed the sealer. That worked flawlessly. Guns are now fixed.

Thanks everyone for your help.

#227390 Gorram Paint Bloom...

Posted by wisdom000 on 30 April 2009 - 10:11 PM in Modifications

That's great that you came to that conclusion on your own, but you also didn't state that in the original post.

No, I stated it later in the thread, several posts before badwrench got involved. Where I also stated that the guns had been painted for a full week, and that it was only after I applied the clear coat that the blooming appeared.

Mr. Badwrench was trying to give you the best fix advice, and needed more information. It's a reasonable request, and I would expect that most people would be obliged to hand over ANY pertinent information in the hope that they wouldn't make their situation worse. For some reason, you seem to lack that instinct.

And I replied to him saying that if any of that information was relevant, that I would answer it. My first reply to him was polite, if blunt.

There is NO way you are an adult. You could not have reached adulthood and still not have come to the conclusion that Cause and Effect are related concepts. To be completely honest here, BW (and others) took time from his day to attempt to help you, and you flat out denied his simple request for more information. Seems to me that YOU are the source of condescension here, by asserting that your admittedly failed method and combination of paints could NOT be the cause of your difficulties.

Pot, please continue to call the kettle black.

How many times did I have to say I knew that it was the humidity that caused the sealant to bloom before people stopped asking me irrelevant questions. I wasn't rude to him until he became condescending to me.

When someone has a flat tire, which is obviously flat because of the nail sticking out of it, do you insist on asking how much pressure was in the tire?

If you are convinced that paint compatibility is not a factor here, and it was environmental conditions alone, then there is only one way to repair your paint job. You must sand off and reapply your paints from the bottom coat up. There is NO way to fix it chemically.

See, while not what I wanted to hear, that was at least helpful and relevant to the question I was asking.

Look, I don't want to cause any problems, I don't want to make any enemies or foster any animosity, and if I have offended you, or BW, then I apologize. But I am also not going to be intimidated or talked down to by anyone, regardless of post count. You respect me, I will respect you.

#227232 Gorram Paint Bloom...

Posted by wisdom000 on 30 April 2009 - 01:38 PM in Modifications

give it time, they may still clear up with some drying time.

a little sunlight can help, just don't put it somewhere it will get hot from the light or it will mess up faster than an LP record in the back window of a pinto.

yeah, I'm old.

Hey I know you pal, from the BBC, Matsucorp, the RPF and the Ready Line.

Thanks man, I will give it a week before I do anything. Someone also said I could try resealing it again, so I may give that a shot if leaving it alone doesn't work.

It's good to see you. As for the old bit, yeah me too, and I have the vinyl collection to prove it. (Hell I have a reel-to-reel)

Wisdom huh? how Ironic.

If your paint caused the problem you're not going to be able to fix it... There are huge percentages of our history books devoted to explaining things that went wrong in hopes that people will learn from past mistakes and not repeat them.

If a combination of uncompilable paints caused your problem sanding them and adding more coats is going to exaggerate the problem at best if not totally ruin the blaster altogether..

If you already know everything don't waste my time asking for advice.

Don

Like I said, it wasn't the paints (which were all Krylon, either fusion or indoor/outdoor), in fact I know for certain it was the sealer/humidity, because areas that didn't get touched at all by paint but had sealer over-spray bloomed as well. So it definitely wasn't a "compatibility" problem.

I didn't ask for advice on how it happened, I asked for advice on how to fix it. If you don't have that advice then don't waste MY time just to be condescending.

#227176 Gorram Paint Bloom...

Posted by wisdom000 on 29 April 2009 - 09:00 PM in Modifications

what brands and what types of paint did you use?

did you mix types or brands?

did you read the directions?

did you scuff your paint good before applying?

I am pretty positive the blooming was caused by humidty. I am assuming your questions are in order to determine the cause.

Cause isn't something I am worried about, since this is the first time it has happenned.

If any of those questions make a difference as to how to fix the problem, let me know, because at this stage, fixing the problem is all I am really worried about.

Not trying to be rude, just more concerened with avoiding having to repaint the things.

Anyway, like metalic finishes getting dull? That happened to me too.

Some on metallic finishes, some on the italian olive satin finish, some on primer gray..... its not the paint, it's the sealer. Drives me crazy.

#227144 Gorram Paint Bloom...

Posted by wisdom000 on 29 April 2009 - 06:59 PM in Modifications

What do you meaned bloomed? Pictures would help.

In places on the guns, they finish turned grey and cloudy. On one gun the spots were minor, but on a longshot, it was much more severe.

Do you mean the colors ran everywhere? Chances are you put the sealer on before it could dry. Did you use primer? That might have contributed, too.

No the paints had been done a week prior, if they weren't dry by then they were never going to be. The paint didn't run, it just got "cloudy and gray". I think it had to do with a sudden build up of humidity in the air, but the tmperature also changed slightly.

You also watch WAY too much Firefly.

Blasphemy!

#227133 Gorram Paint Bloom...

Posted by wisdom000 on 29 April 2009 - 06:18 PM in Modifications

Ok, so I painted my guns, they were all pretty and made me happy...

Then I applied the sealer and they bloomed all over the place...

Any way to fix that or am I simply resigned to painting them all over again.

#225518 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by wisdom000 on 24 April 2009 - 05:24 PM in Modifications

New guy, hopefully I won't make to much of an ass of myself:

Anyway, here we go:
Please forgive the poor quality pictures, all I had was my cellphone, and the lighting just wouldn't work right.

The Firefly was the second nerf gun I bought, and the first one I painted. I screwed it up and the paint came out kinda thick, the gray even cracked. But thats ok, it ended up looking kinda cool anyway, and taught me a lesson about waiting till whatever I am painting is the same temperature as the environment I am painting it in. The only real modding done to it is the Air Restrictors were removed, but I would like to mod it so the barrels spin like a Gatling gun. Perhaps being able to switch between normal mode and cosmetic, so it will still work. Would love to redo this one, and if I can ever get my hands on a cheap FF, even just the shell, I will.

Posted Image

The second gun I painted was my Recon, the third Nerf I bought. It has had the plunger hole plugged and the AR removed. I also modded the stock, condensing it all down to look like one piece, and cutting a hole through the pieces so the bolt of the plunger moves through them. Wouldn't mind getting a second Recon and trying a similiar but different paint scheme., would also like to try a mod to reposition the slide to the back of the weapon. It's my favorite gun performance wise. The paint job isn't inspired, just black with the original accents, a hammerred finish barrel, and some silver accents, but I wanted it to look basic.

Posted Image

Here you can see the stock mod, and how the plunger bolt slides through... sorry for the fuzzy quality. I wish I had had a dremmel for this, it would have turned out much cleaner, as it was I did it with wire cutters and toenail clippers, if you can believe that.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next up was my Longshot. I see it plenty, but I love the Pulse Rifle look, and I wanted one for myself. Other than plugging the plunger hole and ar removal, the only thing else I really did was add-on a soda bottle cap to the front gun to make it look more like a shotgun, and cut the "up" clip on the front gun handle to allow it to be removable because sometimes I want it to look more like a Morita. I also used some PVC pieces I had and an ibuprofen bottle to make a secondary "loser" style barrel extension. When my new longshots arrive, I have some new things I want to try, mostly cosmetic, but I do have an interesting mod planned for the frontguns. I didn't do anything major to this one because I like the idea of a modular, multi-purpose weapon.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Then we come to my Mavericks, the first nerf guns I bought and modded, and second to the last on the paint list. I had seen them done silver and black, and I dug that concept. So I gave it a shot myself. The black one has a crazy "shimmer" texture, which is kind of cool, kind of reminds me of rough iron.
Posted Image

Finally, on a whim I bought a RFR from buzz bee. Silver casing, but with a hammered mettalic black barrels and accents. No real modding of any kind, though I did take an extra stock from an old entertech m-16 watergun and add it to the stock of the RFR to make it long enough to actually be useful. After painting, I really have come to love this cheap ass gun. It just has this post apoclypse vibe, so I adorned it with crap. I like the way it turned out, and I love the shell ejection. I think there must be a pretty big spread for quality with these guns, because I hear a lot of bad about them, but out of the box I was shooting my cat from across the room. (Cat has eaten like 15 darts, so it served him right :P ) I cut the suction cups off the darts to give it a wierd "bolt" look, I painted the shells and the tips of the darts as well, just because. I also added the sight thingy from the recon, because its utterly useless and antiquated, but it looks ok on this post apocalypse style rifle...

Before decoration. You can see the longer, thicker stock...
Posted Image

After
Posted Image

detail shots of the crap hanging off it...

Posted Image
Posted Image

And thats what I have done so far. I did them all in about a week. I don't LARP, but I do play roleplaying games, and these serve more as decoration for my custom gaming room than they do for shooting, though frequently during games a skirmish will break out between my friends and I.

I realize my paint jobs are pretty cliche by now, but that's fine with me, I wanted them too look either "cyberpunky" or "post-apoclyptic", and I think I achieved that.

I have a Vulcan and 2 more longshots I need to take pictures of, as soon as I do I will post them up.