Photo

Gorram Paint Bloom...

18 replies to this topic

#1 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

Ok, so I painted my guns, they were all pretty and made me happy...

Then I applied the sealer and they bloomed all over the place...

Any way to fix that or am I simply resigned to painting them all over again.
Datafortress 2020, the largest and most comprehensive Cyberpunk 2020 site in the world, home of Interlock Unlimited:
http://datafortress2020.110mb.com/

#2 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

What do you meaned bloomed? Pictures would help.

#3 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:35 PM

Do you mean the colors ran everywhere? Chances are you put the sealer on before it could dry. Did you use primer? That might have contributed, too.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#4 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

You also watch WAY too much Firefly.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#5 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

What do you meaned bloomed? Pictures would help.

In places on the guns, they finish turned grey and cloudy. On one gun the spots were minor, but on a longshot, it was much more severe.

Do you mean the colors ran everywhere? Chances are you put the sealer on before it could dry. Did you use primer? That might have contributed, too.

No the paints had been done a week prior, if they weren't dry by then they were never going to be. The paint didn't run, it just got "cloudy and gray". I think it had to do with a sudden build up of humidity in the air, but the tmperature also changed slightly.

Blasphemy!

Edited by wisdom000, 29 April 2009 - 07:07 PM.

Datafortress 2020, the largest and most comprehensive Cyberpunk 2020 site in the world, home of Interlock Unlimited:

#6 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:10 PM

Blasphemy!

I was thinking something similar, come on wisdom000. Grab your guitar and let me clear my throat.

"Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me
There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me... "

Still a 'lil pissed that they canceled it before revealing more/all of Shepherd's back-story.

Edited by b00m13, 29 April 2009 - 07:14 PM.

The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#7 Salindin Naz

Salindin Naz

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

Humidity. Clear coats and sealers don't do well in humidity, or cold. You want a dry (less than 70%), warm (65+) day to paint outside. You can always try just spraying outside and then bringing the parts inside.
Think of it as though the temperature is the Alliance, and humidity as Reavers.
Salindin

Edited by Salindin_Naz, 29 April 2009 - 07:31 PM.

#8 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:50 PM

Thats why Serenity was so great.

Did the primary buffer panel just fall off my ship for no apparent reason?

Anyway, like metalic finishes getting dull? That happened to me too.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#9 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

what brands and what types of paint did you use?

did you mix types or brands?

did you read the directions?

did you scuff your paint good before applying?
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#10 Tigadee

Tigadee

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

Did the primary buffer panel just fall off my ship for no apparent reason?

Gotta love it!

Will they ever bring it back? I only wish, in the meantime I will start a nice PJ on a Buzz Bee RF to pay a tribute to the warrior woman Zoe... Sorry for going OT...
No matter where you go, there you are ~ Buckaroo Banzai

#11 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

what brands and what types of paint did you use?

did you mix types or brands?

did you read the directions?

did you scuff your paint good before applying?

I am pretty positive the blooming was caused by humidty. I am assuming your questions are in order to determine the cause.

Cause isn't something I am worried about, since this is the first time it has happenned.

If any of those questions make a difference as to how to fix the problem, let me know, because at this stage, fixing the problem is all I am really worried about.

Not trying to be rude, just more concerened with avoiding having to repaint the things.

Anyway, like metalic finishes getting dull? That happened to me too.

Some on metallic finishes, some on the italian olive satin finish, some on primer gray..... its not the paint, it's the sealer. Drives me crazy.

Edited by wisdom000, 29 April 2009 - 09:06 PM.

#12 thedap

thedap

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:18 AM

give it time, they may still clear up with some drying time.

a little sunlight can help, just don't put it somewhere it will get hot from the light or it will mess up faster than an LP record in the back window of a pinto.

yeah, I'm old.

#13 Tigadee

Tigadee

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:20 AM

Fantastic advice, thedap! I had the same problem and it's good to know it's clear up soon...
No matter where you go, there you are ~ Buckaroo Banzai

#14 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

Wisdom huh? how Ironic.

If your paint caused the problem you're not going to be able to fix it... There are huge percentages of our history books devoted to explaining things that went wrong in hopes that people will learn from past mistakes and not repeat them.

If a combination of uncompilable paints caused your problem sanding them and adding more coats is going to exaggerate the problem at best if not totally ruin the blaster altogether..

If you already know everything don't waste my time asking for advice.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#15 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

give it time, they may still clear up with some drying time.

a little sunlight can help, just don't put it somewhere it will get hot from the light or it will mess up faster than an LP record in the back window of a pinto.

yeah, I'm old.

Hey I know you pal, from the BBC, Matsucorp, the RPF and the Ready Line.

Thanks man, I will give it a week before I do anything. Someone also said I could try resealing it again, so I may give that a shot if leaving it alone doesn't work.

It's good to see you. As for the old bit, yeah me too, and I have the vinyl collection to prove it. (Hell I have a reel-to-reel)

Wisdom huh? how Ironic.

If your paint caused the problem you're not going to be able to fix it... There are huge percentages of our history books devoted to explaining things that went wrong in hopes that people will learn from past mistakes and not repeat them.

If a combination of uncompilable paints caused your problem sanding them and adding more coats is going to exaggerate the problem at best if not totally ruin the blaster altogether..

Don

Like I said, it wasn't the paints (which were all Krylon, either fusion or indoor/outdoor), in fact I know for certain it was the sealer/humidity, because areas that didn't get touched at all by paint but had sealer over-spray bloomed as well. So it definitely wasn't a "compatibility" problem.

I didn't ask for advice on how it happened, I asked for advice on how to fix it. If you don't have that advice then don't waste MY time just to be condescending.

Edited by wisdom000, 30 April 2009 - 01:48 PM.

#16 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

Wisdom huh? how Ironic.

Don

Like I said, it wasn't the paints (which were all Krylon, either fusion or indoor/outdoor), in fact I know for certain it was the sealer/humidity, because areas that didn't get touched at all by paint but had sealer over-spray bloomed as well. So it definitely wasn't a "compatibility" problem.

That's great that you came to that conclusion on your own, but you also didn't state that in the original post. Mr. Badwrench was trying to give you the best fix advice, and needed more information. It's a reasonable request, and I would expect that most people would be obliged to hand over ANY pertinent information in the hope that they wouldn't make their situation worse. For some reason, you seem to lack that instinct.

I didn't ask for advice on how it happened, I asked for advice on how to fix it. If you don't have that advice then don't waste MY time just to be condescending.

There is NO way you are an adult. You could not have reached adulthood and still not have come to the conclusion that Cause and Effect are related concepts. To be completely honest here, BW (and others) took time from his day to attempt to help you, and you flat out denied his simple request for more information. Seems to me that YOU are the source of condescension here, by asserting that your admittedly failed method and combination of paints could NOT be the cause of your difficulties.

If you are convinced that paint compatibility is not a factor here, and it was environmental conditions alone, then there is only one way to repair your paint job. You must sand off and reapply your paints from the bottom coat up. There is NO way to fix it chemically.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#17 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

That's great that you came to that conclusion on your own, but you also didn't state that in the original post.

No, I stated it later in the thread, several posts before badwrench got involved. Where I also stated that the guns had been painted for a full week, and that it was only after I applied the clear coat that the blooming appeared.

Mr. Badwrench was trying to give you the best fix advice, and needed more information. It's a reasonable request, and I would expect that most people would be obliged to hand over ANY pertinent information in the hope that they wouldn't make their situation worse. For some reason, you seem to lack that instinct.

And I replied to him saying that if any of that information was relevant, that I would answer it. My first reply to him was polite, if blunt.

There is NO way you are an adult. You could not have reached adulthood and still not have come to the conclusion that Cause and Effect are related concepts. To be completely honest here, BW (and others) took time from his day to attempt to help you, and you flat out denied his simple request for more information. Seems to me that YOU are the source of condescension here, by asserting that your admittedly failed method and combination of paints could NOT be the cause of your difficulties.

Pot, please continue to call the kettle black.

How many times did I have to say I knew that it was the humidity that caused the sealant to bloom before people stopped asking me irrelevant questions. I wasn't rude to him until he became condescending to me.

When someone has a flat tire, which is obviously flat because of the nail sticking out of it, do you insist on asking how much pressure was in the tire?

If you are convinced that paint compatibility is not a factor here, and it was environmental conditions alone, then there is only one way to repair your paint job. You must sand off and reapply your paints from the bottom coat up. There is NO way to fix it chemically.

See, while not what I wanted to hear, that was at least helpful and relevant to the question I was asking.

Look, I don't want to cause any problems, I don't want to make any enemies or foster any animosity, and if I have offended you, or BW, then I apologize. But I am also not going to be intimidated or talked down to by anyone, regardless of post count. You respect me, I will respect you.

Edited by wisdom000, 30 April 2009 - 10:12 PM.

#18 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:15 PM

Actually, he has a point. I have had similar problems when using MinWax sealer over some paints, namely krylon. So that could be your problem. I have also never had weather interfere with painting, and I've done it all. MN humid summers, 30 below 0, Spring, after rain, and I get consistency throughout. I've only ever had problems when I use conflicting paints.

And dude, its not about post count, its about Member #, join date, and..... Whether or not you are VACC.

Edited by BustaNinja, 30 April 2009 - 10:16 PM.

Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#19 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:39 PM

Following a suggestion from a friend on another forum I simply went back and resprayed the sealer. That worked flawlessly. Guns are now fixed.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited by wisdom000, 01 May 2009 - 12:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users