Photo

My First Attempt To Paint/mod Nerf

14 replies to this topic

#1 ogre188

ogre188

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

Yeah, its another Maverick. I have incorporated a small MP3 Player in the handle, so it could have some cool high-tech looking lights. Fully functional. Also added a home-made scope made from medicine bottles and pvc, and a small green-colored light. Its still not done, I want to add a leather hand strap, sorta like on a camcorder. I am trying for a good 'overdone' look as I'm going to be selling this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

2nd attempt at Nerf painting/mod is this Longshot. As with the pistol, it's not finished yet, and will have way more stuff bolted/glued/stuck on. The more ridiculous the better. :P I am considering futuristic/steampunk/whatever styled bayonettes for both guns. Any tips on what to make a bayonette blade out of, that isn't going to accidentally kill some little kid? (Plexiglass is not a good idea, for instance)

Posted Image

Posted Image

krylon plastic paint based, all the color and detail are brushed on, and then sealed with 6 or 8 coats of clear krylon, and then heat-treated.

I just purchased a Recon and will be giving it the same makeover.
Thanks to all you modders out there for great ideas like the shotgun mod.

#2 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

First time, bro?

Great job!

But it should belong in the pinned "Modification/paintjob Pictures" thread, found here > http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=5250
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#3 ogre188

ogre188

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

crud I thought I had it in the right spot, sorry folks, please be merciful, mr. moderator >.>

#4 Icey

Icey

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:13 PM

Wow! I've been modding for a while and that is better than ANY piece of work I've ever done. Great job!
Haven't been on here since what...like 2006?

#5 The Kart Racing Nerf Man

The Kart Racing Nerf Man

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

I personally LOVE the paintjob that you did on them. Let me guess...you used Games Workshop paints?

Wonderful job man!!!!
I'm a Mac

Paste this into your sig if you are a Mac.

#6 StealthMan

StealthMan

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

First time, bro?

Great job!

But it should belong in the pinned "Modification/paintjob Pictures" thread, found here > http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=5250

This deserves its own thread. First mav/ MP3 integration. :blush:
<!--quoteo(post=212906:date=Feb 16 2009, 06:30 PM:name=TantumBull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TantumBull @ Feb 16 2009, 06:30 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not ashamed to admit that I have tried to eat my stefans. They just looked so yummy.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NERF<b>STRONG</b> #108

#7 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

I flip out over steampunk modding: the more archaic shit glued on or lodged in the shell the better!

I like the green light on the Mav, it looks like it is an original part of the gun.

Now add some 1900’s pressure gages and halogen bulbs :D
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#8 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

This deserves its own thread. First mav/ MP3 integration. :D

Agreed. I found that part particularily neat. Can it actually play music or what (play some awesome music to rally your teammates. . .)

Good job.

Edited by spartan.062, 22 May 2009 - 09:41 PM.

Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#9 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

Agreed. I found that part particularily neat. Can it actually play music or what (play some awesome music to rally your teammates. . .)

Good job.

Cool. Screw that scope, put some speakers on that thing.
Join the REVOLUTION!

#10 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

Can it actually play music

Yes:

Fully functional.

Yes, that may be true, but he really didn't go in deapth into it or anything. I like it, don't get me wrong...I mean, not war practical in any way, shape, or form, but cleanly done, I guess...I mean, I've never really thought of putting an MP3 player into a nerf gun...
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#11 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:04 PM

not war practical in any way, shape, or form

Well, playing rock music while playing might make everything more fun for instance.

Or using the music to coordinate your team (certain songs mean certain things perhaps?) could be war practical. . .

EDIT: Like Wisdom said, post a write-up for the MP3 integration and enter it into the contest.

Edited by spartan.062, 22 May 2009 - 10:28 PM.

Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#12 wisdom000

wisdom000

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

First time, bro?

Great job!

Agreed. MP3 integration is definately something that needs it's own write-up.

Heck, that should be entered into the contest, it would get my vote!
Datafortress 2020, the largest and most comprehensive Cyberpunk 2020 site in the world, home of Interlock Unlimited:
http://datafortress2020.110mb.com/

#13 serpent sniper

serpent sniper

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

Slick stuff. Personally, I would have sanded more than just the Nerf logos off. What brand of paint did you use for the brush work?
Animus GmbH My Custom Nerf Props and Paintjobs

#14 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:02 AM

With this, you won't have to worry about keeping track of your iPod during rounds of Gunslingers.

Just out of curiosity, how does the MP3 player charge? Is it removable from the blaster?
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#15 ogre188

ogre188

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:38 AM

wow Thanks much for all the nice response!! - MP3 player: I sawed off the bottom of the handle at the groove in the butt of the handle, I went to the Fry's electronics store and bought "the cheapest mp3 player with a lit up display that I could find" this one was on sale for about 10 bucks. When it is uncased, it only needed a little sanding to make it fit perfectly in the cavity at the bottom of the handle (I had to remove parts of the screw tunnels in there, on the very bottom to make the window work). It is epoxied in place. I put it in there because I wanted to make it have a 'futuristic' look with a moving lit display (it would look cool in a hip holster - ) I made recesses for all the plugs, it has a integrated battery that charges up from a USB port, and all the buttons are studs on the edge of the outside , and finally a hole for the on/off switch. I am going to make a stand-off that wont come off easily, currently you have to use a small tool or straw to move the switch. It is also a 2 gig memory chip. Here is a pic with the wires plugged in and the studs on one side, sorry it's so blurry >.>:
Posted Image

pic of the usb cable:
Posted Image

Is it "useful in a nerf shootout?" probably not, I wouldn't recommend it. For the glowy-technology effect, it does do the job tho. internals are all stock, except I did stretch the spring out a little tiny bit. . Also - by way of 'ghetto programming' if you want a particular message to show on the little screen all you do is name an MP3 file to that word/phrase.

Paint: Yes, it is Citadel paint. Best paint evarr.

Steampunk: totally with you on the gauges and mechanical stuff. For instance I will "spoil" the next add-on - you know those cheap kids jump ropes with the mechanical counter in the handle? Well, it works by rotation of the rope. 6 dollars. So, I am going to disassemble one, repaint the number counter to only count down from 6 (then it resets cos it's round) and attach the right size gear or wheel to make it turn in the correct proportion to count down for each shot, by way of the rotating chambers. I may have to rig a belt/pully thing, which would look cool also. Yes - it is going to be kind of bulky and that is the point - excessive, even unnecessary doodads on the gun.
The red dot scope is from a Daisy bb gun, and works really well.
Again thanks for all the encouraging responses, there will be more pics of the Longshot soon, also getting a neato glowy mp3 player jammed in it somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users