ChaosPropel's Content

There have been 379 items by ChaosPropel (Search limited from 12-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#299012 Once More With Feeling

Posted by ChaosPropel on 30 May 2011 - 08:14 PM in Nerf Wars

As long as we're talking about darts..
I currently have about 200 dome darts (single BB) made, and I'll be making another 100 Gumdrop darts (assuming the process goes well, which I'm working on right now), and most likely be bringing some to show around/give away @ the war.

Sharvil- I'd definetely be interested in trading some darts for a couple of those beige/white/black foamed stefans, if you'd be ok with it. :)

#299040 Gumdrop heads

Posted by ChaosPropel on 31 May 2011 - 05:47 AM in Darts and Barrels

I tried making a pointy head for form/some darts for the first time last night, and it turned out a bit wacky. I drilled 1/4" into the board (just as the writeup said), using the DeWalt countersink bit (I like the pointy heads a bit better), and my sili heads came out looking nothing like how they looked in the OP. First of all, there was a small dimple between the drill hole made by the countersink and the drill bit itself (caused by the open area between the 3/16" drill bit and the countersink bit (since to adjust the drill bit's location, you have to move the countersink). Also, the heads looked MUCH shorter than those in the writeup (what depth, Shmee, did you use for those heads shown in the OP pics?)I'll try to post pics this afternoon.....

#299096 Once More With Feeling

Posted by ChaosPropel on 31 May 2011 - 08:38 PM in Nerf Wars

Chaos, you want to trade your darts for my darts? I might trade some of my darts (not the white ones, they are mine) for some gumdrop darts if they turn out well. It would probably be better if you trade me other stuff for the darts.

Not a lot, just one or two, since I'm interested in seeing how the foam is. :P
I just did my first pour batch of gumdrops, and they turned out pretty well. I may have to modify the design a bit, though.

#299136 Gumdrop heads

Posted by ChaosPropel on 01 June 2011 - 03:59 PM in Darts and Barrels

My first batch of gumdrops that were the shape I wanted (I had tried a batch before that one, but the shape came out screwed up) turned out pretty good-I think the height of 1/4" is just right-any more and the dart will seem TOO long. It still seems, however, that my heads are shorter/subbier than Shmmee's. It may just be his camera angle, though.

I just finished pouring my 2nd "correct" batch (a total of 60). I'll post pics of my first batch later today (they've already be glued to FBR), and my 2nd batch when they're ready.

Some tips for people planning to attempt this (Shmmee and DarkSircam, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
-DEFINETELY do this outside, or in a room with AT LEAST 1-2 windows. The fumes ogoo releases will "burn" your nostrils if you breathe it in. What I do it I mix the sili and starch outside, and then let the board cure outside for the first 2 hours, then bring it in so I can know exactly when they're ready, without having to go outside.
-Instead of using the drill bit that comes with the DeWalt countersink bit, I used a 5/32" bit , since it made less (VERY SMALL) of the aforementioned (previous comments) "moat."
-Home Depot only sells the DeWalt bits in packs of #6, 8, and 10, for about $25. I got this pack, since HD and True Value are the only hardware stores near me. Also, the countersink portion of all 3 bits are the same, so you have 2 backup countersinks in case you need 'em (although I doubt you will).

I think that the pointy heads are a sufficient down-grade for pain-as in they are a billion times softer than traditional glue domes-, so I don't think that cylindrical heads/adding felt padding on top is really necessary. Honestly, you don't know JUST HOW SOFT these things are untill you've made them... Also, the "angled hits" phenomenon that people experience with slugs may happen with the flat head darts, although it would hurt less, it would probably still hurt more than a flat-on hit, which is rare.

Sorry if this post was a bit unorganized-I just have a bunch of stuff I'd like to put out there :P.

Edit: here are some pics of my mold board and some darts from my first batch (2nd batch/pics coming soon)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#299171 Gumdrop heads

Posted by ChaosPropel on 02 June 2011 - 05:43 AM in Darts and Barrels

With 3.5 squeezes out of a caulk gun, and roughly 2-2.5 spoonfuls of corn starch, I was able to make about 45 darts. There was a lot of waste since not every mold hole got filled. I'll have to do a better job at that in the future.

Darksircam-
You said "Have you tried using GE Silicone I?"
Does this mean that you've been using it? If so, I don't have to worry about using my Walmart tubes conservatively, since when I'm out (of my 3 tubes I bought), I can just use GE I.

Shmmee- Those heads look fantastic! I love how neat the uppermost felt looks!

#299196 Gumdrop heads

Posted by ChaosPropel on 02 June 2011 - 07:16 PM in Darts and Barrels

Yep. GE Silicone I works.
I've been getting a lot less odour than what everyone else seems to get, so I was wondering about that.

YESSS! I'm so glad, since I just ran out of my first Walmart tube! Woohoo! :P
Also, today, I tried using less corn starch, and the odor was considerabely lower (I think my previous comination was a little too starch-rich).
I'll post pics of my 2 latest batches (I did 2 pours today :D) when they're ready.

#299197 Once More With Feeling

Posted by ChaosPropel on 02 June 2011 - 07:19 PM in Nerf Wars

Sorry for the double post, but I was afraid that if I just did an edit, no one would see it...

The war is 2 days away! I'm so pumped, eve though there's only gonna be 5 people there (as of now). :P

Sharvil: My gumdrop heads are turning out very nicely! If you're ok with it, I'd be interested in trading a few gumdrops for a few of your non-gray darts (maybe around 5). I will also be bringing some gumdrops to show around.

#299248 Once More With Feeling

Posted by ChaosPropel on 03 June 2011 - 08:44 PM in Nerf Wars

I agree with lanstricker, we have already cancled/postponed it 2 times.

Chaos: I will definetly trade some of my darts for yours at the war.

If anyone has an extra/spare 1/2in pvc endcap, would you mind bringing it to the war? I got a full hopper and I just need 1 endcap for it (Thanks Buff). I hope to see all of you at the war tomorrow!

Sounds good! I've got lots of random PVC parts lying around, and I have a few endcaps. I'll bring a round one for you tomorrow.

#299275 Once More With Feeling

Posted by ChaosPropel on 04 June 2011 - 08:18 AM in Nerf Wars

Whoo! I've got all my primaries, my NF, 300 darts, and more packed in a bag! So pumped! I'll be leaving in a few minutes :P

#299295 Once More With Feeling

Posted by ChaosPropel on 04 June 2011 - 02:10 PM in Nerf Wars

Just got home from the war. It was pretty fun, except for the fact that there were only three people :P.
I guess, even though it was more of a "gathering" than a "war," it's still appropriate to do pros and cons...

Pros-
-Getting so much stuff from Landstricker-foam, a wye, PETG, felt tips, 3K, etc.
-Getting to meat Landstricker and Sharvil-they're great guys!
-Getting to pwn Landstricker and Sharvil with my Snapbow :P
-Lots o' hoppah action!
-Sharing my gumdrop darts
-That hilarious little kid, who, after seeing we had Nerf guns, went home and got a Mav and Recon, and approached us. :P
-Getting darts from Sharvil and Landstricker
Cons-
-Forgot my water (a mistake I will NEVER EVER make again-I was parched :P)
-Only 3 people (4-6 people would have made the war more fun)
-Too much barrel tapping ("surrender" was probably the most commonly used word throughout the 3-15 rounds lol)

Overall, it was a very fun event, and I'm glad I went. Sharvil, Landstricker, and I plan to start a series of monthly tune-up wars, similar to BAFF. Expect a thread pretty soon.

#299352 Once More With Feeling

Posted by ChaosPropel on 05 June 2011 - 05:53 PM in Nerf Wars

Sounds good, Nate and Phree!
Landstricker, Sharvil, and I are currently in the process of planning out the specifics of the wars-such as location, hosts, rules, dates, etc. We were thinking of doing it on every 2nd or 3rd saturday, and possibly doing some weekday wars once summer really starts. For the first war, we were thinking of doing it @ Getty Park, since if we were to do it @ Beall (which is preferable), we would need the school's permission first. We were thinking of rotating/alternating the "host" (I say "'host'", since the host won't have to do much besides get location/rules enforced/set, and make sure everything runs smoothly, as they will be smallish wars, with mostly the same people each time), starting with Sharvil, and then going on to either Landstricker or I, and then whoever wants to/can.

The three of us have been debating the topic of dart restrictions, but, seeing as how you guys (othan than the 3 of us) will be the ones being hit by the darts, I thought I'd let you guys help in the decision-

As of now, we have decided that either a BB, 3/16"/7/32" ball, fishing weight, or washer (#6 or #8) will be OK under a felt pad. Gumdrops will also be OK (we haven't really discussed it, but, since it doesn't have much more weight than a BB dome dart, and uses no metal, it should be OK).

What we're debating is what we should allow underneath hot glue domes. BBs/aforementioned balls will definetely be OK (and slingshot weights will definetely NOT), but should fishing weights under domes be allowed? I, for one, like dome darts a lot, and I think that fishing weights are better than BB domes, since they have more accuracy/are easier to make. However, they hurt more than the rest, since they are heavier, and therefore travel faster/hit harder. What do you guys think? I personally think it should be ok (but I've only been to one war), but Sharvil and Landstricker don't.

#299353 Once More With Feeling

Posted by ChaosPropel on 05 June 2011 - 06:05 PM in Nerf Wars

Whoops, sorry. Don't know how that got posted twice.

#299354 My BalloonFinder

Posted by ChaosPropel on 05 June 2011 - 06:07 PM in Modifications

I love all of your "crazy" mod ideas! Did you make those shell cuts with a dremel? They look so clean! Amazing work, as usual, Makeitgo!

#299359 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 05 June 2011 - 06:29 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm a definite for now. I'll have to wait for the date, though.

#299366 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 05 June 2011 - 07:24 PM in Nerf Wars

Hi, I'm new to nerf, but I would love to start going to wars, would you mind if a noob comes?

No problem! It doesn't matter if you've only been here a few days, or a few years- The more the merrier!

#299368 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 05 June 2011 - 08:18 PM in Nerf Wars

Both dates should work for me. Getty works as well.
Also, for the dart/blaster, restricions, I think we should do it this way:
Any blaster is fine, as long as it doesn't shoot over "X" feetwith a slingshot dome dart. All darts are fine.

#299370 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 05 June 2011 - 08:25 PM in Nerf Wars

Nah, I dont like to blanket-ban guns, but I will add/change it if I see anything that is unsafe.

Ok. I still t hink that we should do some dart restrictions, even if the physics of it is against it.

#299429 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 06 June 2011 - 05:56 PM in Nerf Wars

23rd sounds good. If you want, Sharvil, I can email Beall (if you don't have time). Put me down as a definite for either location.

#299443 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 06 June 2011 - 08:15 PM in Nerf Wars

Sorry for the late reply but while I was on the IRC, Langley asked why I was asking for permission to use beall's school grounds and it turned out that the people who hosted DCNO never asked for permission and they had no problems. So if we do want to have a war there, we have to clean up all of our mess and we need to collect as many darts as we can find. So how about we go nerf at Beall? So how does the 23rd at Beall sound? Use the above pictures to see what the setup is. This is turning out pretty good. I hope we can get atleast 10 people on the definite list!

Lolz, that's exactly what I thought! It's a public Montgomery County (my county :D) school, so the grounds should be considered public.

23rd @ Beall sounds great.

#299487 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 07 June 2011 - 03:52 PM in Nerf Wars

That later? If it was the same weekend, couldn't we do it the next week?

Or the week before in June...

#299492 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 07 June 2011 - 05:08 PM in Nerf Wars

How would the 23 of June work for the next war?

That's only 2 weeks away, but it should work (I'm planning/working on 2 new primaries right now-I'd probably have one done by then).

#299615 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 09 June 2011 - 06:47 PM in Nerf Wars

BUMP! We still need to decide on a definite date...June 23rd is a Thursday....
Sharvil brought up (on the IRC) that we should do it on the 25th (saturday). I agree.

#299742 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 12 June 2011 - 12:17 PM in Nerf Wars

This all sounds great. Let's make a list of who will be bringing how much for the dart bin, so we can keep track of inventory. I think we should do a system where everyone that is a regular DCNF attendee must bring at least 100(or some other number) darts for the bin every 3 wars (you can bring it gradually- like maybe 30 the first war, 30 the 2nd, and 40 the third).

Come on, guys! We need more definites!

#299750 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 12 June 2011 - 02:51 PM in Nerf Wars

23rd sounds good. Hopefully we can get at least 6-8 people. I would offer to host(Beall is only about 15 minutes away from my house), but I've only been to one war, and I don't think I'd be very qualified to host the FIRST DCNF...

#299769 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 12 June 2011 - 08:05 PM in Nerf Wars

If anyone has (at least 2 feet) any thinwall 1 1/2" PVC, PM me and we can work out a deal to either trade @ the war, or I'll pay and you can ship to me before the war.

#299780 Aluminum AT2K Tank

Posted by ChaosPropel on 13 June 2011 - 05:31 AM in Homemades

Very nice! If these work, will you be selling them?

#299782 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 13 June 2011 - 06:21 AM in Nerf Wars

Tyler, if you can find a good location in McLean to have a war at, you can host thhe 2nd or 3rdwar in McLean. I picked Rockville because it was closer to VA than silver spring.

Dx, the date is set for the 23rd of July starting at 10am. I still need someone to host the war with chaos if he has any problems hosting it. Preferably someone who has been to beall or a DCNO before.

Whaa? I'm hosting? Bahh, sure. Whatever. I would DEFINETELY need someone more experienced by my side though...

#300058 DCNF

Posted by ChaosPropel on 17 June 2011 - 07:26 PM in Nerf Wars

Seeing as I'll probably be hosting this (along with another person [TBD]), I guess it's appropriate to bump this thread.
As of now, we only have a few definites...we need more! Get your butts confirmed, people!:P

#300203 The SNAP/Revolution

Posted by ChaosPropel on 20 June 2011 - 07:17 AM in Homemades

This is really neat! After seeing it in the pics thread a few weeks ago, I was wondering, "so...what's so 'revolutionary' about it?" Now i totally understand! I don't know if you mentioned it in the writeup, but does this have an easier prime than traditional compression spring PumpSNAPs?

#300252 NF with wooden grip.

Posted by ChaosPropel on 20 June 2011 - 07:20 PM in Modifications

Honestly, at what point do you have to cease calling it a Nightfinder?

I'd say here is a good point. Maybe sooner.

Well, it uses the stock NF shell (part of it), trigger, and catch, so I'd argue that this is still an NF, just a NF-rifle on steroids.

#300273 DCNF #1- Now Recapping!

Posted by ChaosPropel on 21 June 2011 - 07:48 AM in Nerf Wars

NOTE: **Yes, I know that there is already a DCNF thread. However, because Sharvil is no longer hosting (and I am), I thought creating a new thread would be appropriate, since then I can edit the OP and such**

DCNF will be a monthly/bi-monthly/whenever possible war in the DMV area, meant to keep DMV Nerf active. DCNF's purpose is similar to that of BAFF's, except it's on the East coast! The first DCNF will be in July.

Date:
July 16th and 23rd (there will be 2 wars, one on each weekend)

Time: 10:20 AM SHARP will be when we start the war, untill whenever we feel like ending.
Please, if possible get there a bit( 10-15 mins.) earlier,if you think one/more of your blasters will be subject to range testing/ban

Trading times:
We will most likely have some trading time from 10:00 till when we actually start playing, and then trading time in between some rounds, during lunch, after lunch, and whenever you guys want to.

Host(s):
I will be hosting the first DCNF on the 16th, with Phree Agent as my co-host. Sharvil ill be hosting the 2nd one on the 23rd.

-Beall Elementary, Rockville, MD. GOOGLE IT!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Time:
-10 AM until whenever we feel like ending

Rules:
-No JOBARs, No Cobras, no singled Titans, no singled plugged-pump airguns designed to shoot anything larger than a Mega dart. (If you are unsure about whether your blaster fits this description, bring a back-up just in case.)
-No exposed metal barrels
-No blasters painted flat black
-No dressing up in camouflage
-Eye protection is manditory, I don't care how old you are
-Other blasters will be handled on a case-by-case basis(INCLUDING HOMEMADE AIRGUNS)
-Doomsayers are allowed
-If your blaster is more than 75 percent grey of black, please use orange tape on it.
-Super soakers ARE allowed, but will be dealt with/banned on a case-by-case basis.
-It is OK if people under 13 attend-they just HAVE TO have parents in the parking lot/in the field/watching the WHOLE TIME.

Guidelines to non-douche-ness: MUST READ!-We are using Beall's space for this war, and we DO NOT wanna get kicked out or get the cops called by the school!
-please keep profanity and vulgar symbols/actions to a bare minimum
-please keep loud yelling to a minimum too; there are houses nearby, and we wouldn't wanna disturb the school's environment with loud noises.
-PICK UP ALL TRASH that you leave, whether it is from lunch or a blaster. If you are seen leaving too much trash, you may not be invited to the next DCNF; the hosts/other attendees are NOT here to be your maids.
-try to pick up all darts during dart sweeps/lunch; we don't wanna leave too many darts on their field (it's pretty much the same as litter to them)

-If you repeatedly act violate these rules throughout the day, you may be asked to sit rounds out, or to leave/not come back to DCNF wars...let's make this a fun war for everybody, and a non-disturbing war for the school! Afterall, we're there to have fun, right?

Dart Restrictions:
-Nothing heavier than a 3/16" steel ball bearing under a hot glue dome. In other words, BBs, 3/16" balls, and anything lighter than a 3/16" ball fishing weight are allowed under a dome. Washers under hot glue domes, no matter the size, are banned.
-Fishing weights and anything lighter are allowed under a felt pad, or at least a 2mm craft foam padding.

What to bring:
-WATER! For YOUR SAKE!
-A lunch, packed or pre-bought. There aren't many places to get food nearby.
-2-3 primaries.(Please bring more than one, since there is a large chance that it will break/fail during the day, or you will just hate it in the field/get bored of it)
-200+ darts
-A pistol or two-we will be having pistol rounds
-Fun ammo- rockets, missiles, megas, mongos, balls, etc.
-Stuff to trade/money to buy stuff. We will have trading time.
-Stock ammo, if your manly enough to use it. :P
-Bring some melee stuff-swords, knives, etc, just for fun.

What not to bring:
-Alchohol or drugs
-Real firearms
-Camo
-Ghillie suits
-Flat black blasters
-Un-allowed darts
-Death darts

Shields:
-Manta Rays and Laser Fang wings only.

Melee:
-Melee hits count as barrel "taps". If your melee weapon gets shot it counts as a blaster hit.

Lunch:
-Pack one. There are places to eat within driving distance, not really walking distance.

Match Types:
-Deathmatch (3-15, 5-20, etc.)
-Not Deathmatch (will figure out what once I get a better idea of who will be attending)
-CTF?
-Pistol only rounds
-Whatever else we want to play

If we have less then 3 people attending a war, we can reschedule it or cancel it if needed.

Please comment saying whether or not you can go; and whether or not you can bring guests, on either one of the dates.

July 16th Attendees:

Definite
--------
ChaosPropel
Phree Agent(+1-2)
Landstricker
Aftershock
Nate45
Blitz
MajinnBuu98(+1)
Naes Draw

Maybe
-----
Doom

Doubtful
--------

July 23rd Attendees List:

Definite
-----
Chaos
Sharvil
Landstricker

Maybe
-----
Doom

Doubtful
-----

#300279 DCNF #1- Now Recapping!

Posted by ChaosPropel on 21 June 2011 - 10:39 AM in Nerf Wars

We're split up in dates right now...
I'll edit the first post-we'll have to get more people confirmed towards one date before we make the decision. However, I'd advise everyone who believes they can make it to either date to start preparing-darts, blasters, trades, etc., so that, even if the war ends up being on the 16th (3 weeks away-not too close, but not too far), you'll be ready, and won't have so much of a crunch time.

EDIT: Do you guys wanna start an email list or IRC chatroom? It may make it easier for decisions like dates and stuff.

#300282 DCNF #1- Now Recapping!

Posted by ChaosPropel on 21 June 2011 - 11:00 AM in Nerf Wars

From now on, #DCNF on the IRC will be used for DCNF discussion purposes.

TO get to it, go to the Nerfhaven IRC, then type in "/join #DCNF"

#300317 DCNF #1- Now Recapping!

Posted by ChaosPropel on 21 June 2011 - 08:02 PM in Nerf Wars

Put me on the list as definite for either 16 or 23 July.

GREAT! C'mon, people! We still need more definites to be set on either date!

Also, I need a volunteer (preferrebely someone experienced) to host with me.

EDIT: Updated the dart rules, as well as the attendees list, so it's more clear.

#300344 DCNF #1- Now Recapping!

Posted by ChaosPropel on 22 June 2011 - 10:18 AM in Nerf Wars

Sorry for the double post, but I thought it would be appropriate, since I"m posting info that everyone needs to see.
I've added some pics in the OP of the location/a diagram/map

-Beall Elementary, Rockville, MD. GOOGLE IT!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#300360 DCNF #1- Now Recapping!

Posted by ChaosPropel on 22 June 2011 - 02:23 PM in Nerf Wars

Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and make the war on the 16th, since, even if Dizzy can't make it to the 16th, we'd still have 6 people (as of now), which is the amount we would have, if Dizzy CAN MAKE IT on the 23rd, and we have it on the 23rd.

I still need someone to host with me! VOLUNTEER! Landstricker? Phree?Aftershock?
Also, if possible, please bring guests! We need more people!

Now go and make darts, people!

#300364 DCNF #1- Now Recapping!

Posted by ChaosPropel on 22 June 2011 - 02:53 PM in Nerf Wars

Does anyone have anything they would like to sell at the war? I'm open to a lot, so just PM me with offers...
I'll be looking for some sch.80 PVC, colored hot glue sticks(larger size, not the smaller ones), a stock 4b (old style) and anything else you can offer.

#300376 2011 Nerf War Schedule

Posted by ChaosPropel on 22 June 2011 - 05:37 PM in Nerf Wars

July: [url="http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21271"] 16th [DC] DCNF#1[/url]

#300385 DCNF #1- Now Recapping!

Posted by ChaosPropel on 22 June 2011 - 09:02 PM in Nerf Wars

Excuse the double post, but...

-Phree Agent is now the official co-host.
-What other rounds, besides CTF and TDM/Pistol rounds would you guys like to play?
Can anyone bring some legit flags (so we don't have to use hats and stuff) for CTF? If not, I could probably find a way to get a few.
Edit to avoid posting AGAIN:
THE WAR IS ON THE 16TH, PEOPLE! 16TH! of JULY!
I realized that some of you may not have noticed this...

Also, I will take/buy/trade for ANY HORNET TANKS (no leaks, please) that you can offer!

#300422 DCNF #1- Now Recapping!

Posted by ChaosPropel on 23 June 2011 - 03:53 PM in Nerf Wars

UPDATE!

Please post all trading-related things in here; the DCNF trading thread!

Will anyone be bringing/can bring any melee stuff? We may, if possible, have some melee rounds or melee+blasters rounds, just for fun. I'll probably be bringing a pipe insulation sword or something. PM me if you'd like me to make you one...