I've done quite few NF mods in the past but I hadn't done one in a while. Mainly because I don't like the way they look. But after watching KND's video, I thought I'd try something similar. In his video, KND uses 1 1/2" PVC. I didn't feel like paying $14 for a 10' length of PVC so I went to the dollar store and grabbed this instead for $1.25.
HAHA!! Pre-made plunger tubes for $1.25. Go get one... or 10.
Okay. First thing I did was remove the bottom cap. The one without the nozzle. It's glued on so I used the ancient secret boiling technique to loosen the glue bond.
I left it in there, rotating it every few seconds for only a minute. Then I rushed it over to the sink and ran it under cold water. This pretty much kills the glue. This is particularly good for taking apart stubborn water blasters.
Next, I squeezed the end until a small opening appeared and continued around the circumference until the cap just popped off.
There we go...
Next was the pump handle. Not the cap. Just the handle. This was really easy. I just gently flexed the connection in either direction until the glue bond cracked. Haha... Made in China.
Here we go. All the pieces we need and all cleaned up.
Next I used couplers of my choice. Sanded everything down and JB Welded the couplers over the convenient plunger tube hole.
I set that aside to allow to cure.
Now on to the NF shell. Before....
I didn't do the as per usual minimization because as you can see, there wasn't much left. I needed all the surface area I could to make sure my new plunger tube had something to secure to. In case your wondering, the plunger tube is 1 7/8" OD.
I also had to cut down the trigger.
Here's a dry test fitting.
Dealing with the end cap, it came apart like so. I dicarded the 2 little pieces.
Then I Dremmeled a hole for the plunger rod. not too big because the spring needed some where to rest.
Now came the tricky part. Measuring out the right length to make the space between the plunger tube and the catch.
I knew I would have to extend the space between the plunger head and the catch notch to accommodate my new springs 2" compressed state plus make sure there was enough room for the space between the plunger tube and the catch. In my case it worked out to be 2.5".
I used a 3" piece of 1/2" CPVC to bridge the gap.
Here's what it looks like fit together.
I used JB Weld to bond the 2 halves and an air restrictor as securing pegs.
Here's what the plunger rod looks like put together. Note that I added a 1/2" of 3/4" CPVC to create some pre compression.
Now with the plunger tube.
A close up reveals, I screwed the whole assembly shut. This makes things a lot easier from here. Plus it allows me the abiliy to open it back up again. I used the screws that are no longer needed for the NF shell.
Putting the whole thing back together becomes rudimentary at this point.
Using some strategically placed hot glue, This turned out pretty clean looking.
I wasn't able to get a 100% seal. Maybe something like 70%. So ranges were a little disappointing at 85' - 90' flat (slug style Stefans). I was expecting 100' - 110'+ flat. I'll keep working on that seal. But for now, here's the BalloonFinder!!!
The irony of this write up was I had to blow up those balloons the old fashioned way.
Edited by makeitgo, 06 June 2011 - 10:07 PM.