Duke Wintermaul's Content

There have been 354 items by Duke Wintermaul (Search limited from 21-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#330306 Cincinnati Birthday Brawl

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 28 May 2013 - 12:15 AM in Nerf Wars

Myself +1 are likely to attend.

Ditto.

Whos that noob with stock darts?

Oh...

#330121 Z-tech Arrows

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 22 May 2013 - 01:59 AM in Darts and Barrels

So, the Zing Toys bow has grown in popularity. I know of a few nerfers who use them, and regularly in wars.

Has anybody figured out a good alternative to the horrid retail three pack of darts? Who even wants the suction heads, so without that its around $6 an arrow. Surely we can create a homemade arrow for far cheaper.

As anybody here started on this faithful quest? If so, the secrets of your fletcher's trade would bring toy to us all.

If not, spit balled ideas are a welcome sight.

#330030 Adding a RPM/Speed Controller to a Stryfe

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 20 May 2013 - 12:23 PM in Modifications

I like it.

My jamdoor is occupied at the moment, and always will be, so a different location would be better.

I'm waiting for your tests, as i'm curious as to how much this is needed. Whats the RPM range with the min and max settings? How much of an improvement can this be? Does it reduce torque?

Lots of question's, but i like it.

#329959 Charger Blue Rampage

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 18 May 2013 - 08:30 PM in Modifications

Looks great! The blacked out rampage shell really makes a difference.

I would recommend an AR deletion and 5kg spring. I don't think you mentioned these mods at the beginning.

#329914 The Last War of D.G.~Cincinnati war

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 17 May 2013 - 01:32 AM in Nerf Wars

Confirmed + 1. What time are you thinking it will wrap up? Also, are Z-tech bows allowed? If yes, I'm a plus 2.

#329862 EAT Winners!

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 15 May 2013 - 03:38 PM in General Nerf

Congratulations to our two winners!

In first place is Asamere, with his lovely poem recanting absolutely nothing! He is receiving an Elite Alpha Trooper, completely free!

And bringing up the rear is Guitarzan, for his mention of Warcraft Three! However, he goofed and called Wintermaul a tower defense. Thus, he pays shipping.

Both items are being shipped tomorrow morning 9am! I apologize to anyone who did not submit an entry due to the mods closing the forum. I was 'suggested' to redo the giveaway with stricter parameters, but i think you guys did just fine!

#329832 vortex disc mod

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 14 May 2013 - 07:04 PM in Darts and Barrels

Disc Mod n NH

That doesn't tell you much, and it doesnt seem that his 'mod' does anything. I've heard rumors that gluing plastic washers to the underside of disc's give them more weight and thus more stability.

#329766 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 13 May 2013 - 01:52 PM in Modifications

Posted Image
Posted Image

Since were showing off EAT's. Same one that's in my mod guide, but with custom grip and 6-rd GITD clip.

The assault handle is 100% mechanically fastened. I need to make a run to the hardware store for thinner metal fasteners, right now i'm using two 20pence pieces.

#329696 Charger Blue Rampage

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 11 May 2013 - 11:25 PM in Modifications

I would blacken out the rampages shell where you have the LED's. That way, the light will be shining down from under the shell, and not through it.

Nice looking rampage though.

#329635 Nerf Centurion

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 11 May 2013 - 12:22 AM in General Nerf

Centurion has been in rumormill for awhile.

Don't be surprised if no one cares, at least untill it actually launches.

#329591 EAT Giveaway

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 10 May 2013 - 02:15 PM in General Nerf

You heard me right,

Posted Image

NerfHaven exclusive giveaway! It seems some of us have gotten an EAT, or multiples, whilst the rest of NerfHaven silently waits for the release date. Well, wait no longer! It's a simple giveaway, i will be picking a winner 5/15/2013 at 20:00Zulu. How do you enter? Reply to this topic once. That's it. I will be picking the 'best' submission in five days. What should you post? Ascii art, love poems about me, why you nerf hardcore, whatever.

Double posters will not be considered.

Also, here is a quick list i've compiled of NerfHaven users who already have an EAT, and thus are barred from the giveaway.
Griever2112
Funky Mutha Facko
Dart Slinger
Aeromech
MAV13
Pointman9
AdamsNerfMods
2Tags
Quertyman
Blastershack.

As an added restriction, anyone identifying with the group's Ambassador/Moderator/Contributor/Pleb will not be eligible. FNG's Welcome!

As an end note, should you have a legitimate question PM me. If you piss me off with PM's, you will not be receiving an EAT. I am giving away more than one, the exact number is tbd.
Edit: International shipping is provided by the winner. First place gets free US shipping. Others... to be determined.
A question was raised about editing submissions, I will be reading this entire thread on the 15th. The latest edit of your submission will be considered.
Changed the end time to twenty hundred zulu.

Good luck!

#329405 Mod Contest Submission Thread

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 06 May 2013 - 02:55 AM in Modifications

The new EAT.

Posted Image

#329404 Elite Aplha Trooper CS-12

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 06 May 2013 - 02:48 AM in Modifications

What were going to need,

Razor blade, drill, 3/8 & 3/32 & 13/64 bits, size 0 Philips screw driver, an upgrade spring.

What we do,

Take our stock alpha trooper

Posted Image

and unscrew it. Remove the slide pump first, and it reveals four hidden screws.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Go ahead and take out the spring. We wont be needing it. now also remove the plunger tube and catch plate. Hang onto them, they will be used again.

Posted Image

Here's a quick shot of the internal workings.

Posted Image

Were going to remove the Black & White circled locks. The black is actually the magazine lock and jam door lock all in one. The white is designed to catch on the boltsled for whatever reason. Take them out.

Posted Image

Okay, now we remove the boltsled. The metal prime bar is a bit tricky to remove. We would unscrew the barrel and remove that whole front section, but with some puzzle like maneuvering we can get the sled out no problem. So, lets drill out that AR.

Posted Image

Posted Image

To do this, i use a three step drilling process. I take my smallest bit, and drill a lead hole. Then i swap to the middle bit, widen and deepen that hole. Finally, i drill the whole assembly out with a bit just smaller than the inside circumference of the chamber. The sizes i used were 3/8, 3/32, and 13/64.

Posted Image

So, that was easy. Now put all the internals back in. Like so.

Posted Image

Go ahead and screw it back together. Leave the orange endcap and prime slide off, now its time to add the spring. I'm putting an OMW 5kg Retaliator/Rampage (and now EAT!) spring in. You can buy them here. Slightly spread the back plate apart, and fit the first coil inside.

Posted Image

Just press on the spring, and when it gets to the last coil simply screw it in following the coils.

Posted Image

Screw the endcap back on.

If you've slamfired the EAT stock you've noticed the odd trapezoid pattern on the pump.

Posted Image

Don't they hurt your fingers after a bit? Me too, lets grind those off. I happen to have a grinders wheel downstairs, so i used that. You can use a dremel with appropriate bit, or some sandpaper and elbow grease.

Posted Image

It looks a tad sloppy, but it feels so nice. Screw the pump grip back on.

Were done right? Not quite. I messed up and left this peg on my boltsled.

Posted Image

Just cut it off with a razor blade.

Posted Image

Hopefully you read this before you do all the steps, and you can remove this peg when you take out the boltsled. But this is the order i did it in, and it really doesn't matter.

There you have it! A brand new slaughter machine! This thing has some power behind it, i am impressed.

Posted Image

A big shoutout to TurokMakto for his chronograph data. This EAT is propelling darts 27fps faster than stock, on average.

This guide covers the basics, everything you need to know to make your EAT perform like a champ. I have a few other misc. mods planned, namely a laser, but i wanted to get this up here for all to see.

Happy nerfing!

#329403 Elite Aplha Trooper CS-12, in US stores.

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 06 May 2013 - 01:45 AM in General Nerf

I'm super glad i could share this information with the NerfHaven community. I'd seen posts about the EAT on a few other, more casual, sites but nothing here. It seemed like Targets were catching on to the leak, and still no mention on NH.

I'm glad some fellow modders got a hold of these things.

#329399 Elite Aplha Trooper CS-12, in US stores.

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 06 May 2013 - 12:13 AM in General Nerf

Update,

Even if they are $19.99, i would pick them up.

I just sold two of the three EAT's for $79.98 + shipping.

I feel like I've taken advantage of people, but then again i never made them pay me.

#329347 Elite Aplha Trooper CS-12, in US stores.

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 04 May 2013 - 01:11 PM in General Nerf

The SKU number is valid, but the price no longer is. I got two of them, but they were 20 bucks per blaster. Beware, they are available, but the price is now at full retail.

It all depends on location. California got leaked really hard, they were shut down in some locations late yesterday.

#329339 Elite Aplha Trooper CS-12, in US stores.

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 04 May 2013 - 09:29 AM in General Nerf

How does a factory direct box of EAT's sound?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pretty damn good! How does paying $20 for the whole box sound?

Posted Image

Even better! So, here's the scoop. A limited number of U.S. Targets received LIMITED shipments of the EAT. These EAT's are not meant to hit the shelves until June 12th. I'm not speculating, a Target Store Manager told me that. She also said that's why i couldn't buy them, luckily the boxing boy in housewares didn't know that. So here's how you get your very own EAT! Here is a link to the Target Product search page. Look at the HTML code, the last 5 characters are a postal code. Replace those characters with your personal postal code. Now you know which stores have these things, and how close they are to you! Write down the DPCI code, 087-11-0118, and head to Target! The DPCI code is an inventory code that allows employees to access all the information about that item, if they have it, where it is, how much it is, and who else has them. Find an employee with one of those handheld scanners, and ask them to check and see if they have any in stock. Of course they do, we already know that! Better to act coy though.

These are priced at $5.98 because they are under the old AT DPCI code. Target got sloppy and decided to simply update the old AT info with the new EAT, and the old AT code still has the price slash from the last sale! However, because the launch date is June 12th, and store managers don't give the order to stock them on the shelves, they figured these things would be safe in the back storeroom... until clever customers get unwitting employes to fetch them!

I've hear some rumors, that with this leak corporate office is scrambling to change the DPCI code and mark them at the full $19.99. Even if they do change the price, you can still get one early.

Go to Target!

#329261 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 02 May 2013 - 12:52 PM in Modifications

Cambo, run them at 9volts.

I run mine at 11.2volts, and so far have had no issues with short term use.

#329220 Elite Darts and Clips Info

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 01 May 2013 - 12:02 PM in Darts and Barrels

Has anyone come up with a way to prolong dart life???

Stick a straw inside the dart, cut it to length, and put a little dot of glue on the end of the straw and insert it again.

#329169 Midwest Nerf Camping Weekend

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 29 April 2013 - 02:25 PM in Nerf Wars

For something this massive, i'm willing to make the drive from Dayton.

#329129 Cincinnati Warmer War "Warm Up 2"

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 28 April 2013 - 12:17 PM in Nerf Wars

So the war is over, had lots of fun. Want to thank everyone, especially the Bowling Green guys for coming, 10:00 am till 7:30 pm, that's a long day...lol and you guys still have miles to go before you get home.

O.o BG guys?!?!

I've been in BG for the past few months.

#329085 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 27 April 2013 - 10:26 AM in Modifications

Link to atomic mods. Not sure if this is the motor oreo is talking about, but damn i guess this is the tops.

#329057 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 26 April 2013 - 05:22 PM in Modifications

Maybe 3 trust fires is too much? Maybe it is intended to run at stock voltage or a little more?

The forward voltage rate is 9volts. MAV seems to be running them at recommended voltage, so i'm not sure whats happening for him.

I've burned two of these motors with 4s 14500 cells, but that was a controlled test to see what they could take and to know the warning signs. I normally run them on 3s 14500 cells, and have had no malfunctions. My blasters have not gone through a whole lot of use, so perhaps that's a factor. I'm looking for some higher quality Tamiya's to do some testing, but right now i have nothing definitive to say. If my motor's do shred, i'll be replacing them and running them on 2s 14500 cells to see how that works out.

I'm slowly losing faith in these motors as i continually hear horror stories of blasted and bombarded melted shreds coming from their use.

Mav13, it seems like more expensive higher quality motors are a better option.

#329030 Complete Stryfe Mod Guide

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 25 April 2013 - 12:11 PM in Modifications

It may be worth it in the future to try and place the laser unit behind the hole instead of in front of it/inside it. That way it is still possible to attach faux barrels and such.

It would be nigh impossible to sight the laser in if you put it far enough back to accommodate a barrel extension. I'm very anti-barrel, all they do is hurt range and i personally think barrels on stryfes look ridiculous.

But yes, if you like barrels play around with it a bit.

I also added a section on a Voltmeter, its basic stuff but i hope it helps.

#329016 Complete Stryfe Mod Guide

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 24 April 2013 - 04:17 PM in Modifications

I had just began working on putting a laser site into one of my nerf guns but was buying $3 laser pointers and $2 switched at radio shack.

I'm glad it helped you.

From the links i posted an entire laser, diode, switch, battery pack, costs less than $1.

#329005 Complete Stryfe Mod Guide

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 24 April 2013 - 10:30 AM in Modifications

I added the green wire between the blue and red because the they normally didn't reach each other and have the length to go where they needed.

That's exactly my point, these two wires were long enough to reach each other. And thanks to taking advantage of pre-molded shell pegs they stay out of the way nicely.

#328966 Mod Contest Submission Thread

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 23 April 2013 - 10:01 AM in Modifications

Throwing my Stryfe in here.
Posted Image
So that brings the count up to Ten, hopefully we'll get a few more for Third Place.

#328965 Complete Stryfe Mod Guide

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 23 April 2013 - 09:54 AM in Modifications

Seems like a decent Stryfe writeup.

I would be much more impressed if your camera happens to have a proper Macro setting and you used nicer lighting. ;)

Yea, the pictures could be better. I'm not entirely sure what went wrong with my camera, or maybe it was just me.
but i figure if your following this guide and have the Stryfe right in front of you, these mediocre pictures are more than sufficient to illustrate what you need to do.

Can someone say yoink?

But seriously, good write-up. A little better than mine because of the mechanical removals. I would have done that too, but I had already done all of the lock removal and thrown them away before I made this.

But good job.

-SBF-

Not to sound harsh, but your circuitry was rather odd. You added wiring that frankly did not need to be there.

#328938 Complete Stryfe Mod Guide

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 22 April 2013 - 12:11 AM in Modifications

Now we need a spot for the switch, why not next to the jam door? Right here looks good.

http://i.imgur.com/01P8LYP.jpg

My switch is 8mm by 11mm, so i drew a box that size and carefully cut it out with an old soldering iron. I forgot to take a picture, so here's one of it after i wired up the switch. Just as good i suppose, except the quality is awful...

http://i.imgur.com/cNtump0.jpg

And here's what it looks like once the switch is in place.

http://i.imgur.com/g19deqk.jpg

Cool, cool. What now? Oh, the diode. Remember that hole we drilled earlier?

http://i.imgur.com/Kqatj3x.jpg

Lets put it there.

http://i.imgur.com/rY1EsJn.jpg

You will need to secure the rail attachment, seeing as we destroyed the back portion of it. Simply lay down some hotglue and pluck it in. Don't put the diode in until its dry, we need it to be unimpeded.

Go ahead and screw that front shell portion together. If you would like, attach longer leads to the diode before.

Posted Image

But the leads stick out enough, so we can just work with them here. Look at the quality on that background fabric. I cannot get this camera to focus...

Posted Image

Okay, everything's in place. The battery holders leads should be long enough to reach the diode and switch. If not, simply solder on some extra wire to extend them. Wire it up like the picture below, get some spare wire to run from the switch to the diode.

Posted Image

Run the wiring inside the wire slot for the motors, and then under the flywheel cage to the diode. Your flywheels should be dry, so reassemble the cage. If your having trouble putting the flywheels on the motor shaft, take a hammer and tap the top bit down lightly until it is flush with the shaft. Screw the cage back in, running the wires inside the wire slot.

Posted Image

Replace the orange rail on top of our new wires. It will take some force to get it down, but that's okay. Please note where i have the battery holder leads connecting to our assembly. If you try and run them under the flywheel cage, you can rip them out of the holder and ruin the whole thing.

Posted Image

Lets take a look at the other end of the blaster. Loose wires! Oh noes! We have a black, a red, and a blue.

Posted Image

The black gets connected to the battery tray.

Posted Image

The blue and red get connected together. Be sure to run the blue wire under the pusher rod. This is it's stock location so everything should be fine.

Posted Image

To keep these wires out of the way, there are two blue plastic pegs in the shell that i like to think were put there special for me. Place your wires between them.

Posted Image

Just melt those two pegs together.

Posted Image

Wow, that's a nice, clean, short circuit were running there. Looks good. Go ahead and slap some batteries in, make sure it runs. If not, take a good hard look at all the work you did. Mine works fine, so yours should too.

Before we screw the shell back together, we need to free some room on the other side of the shell for our switch. See this round peg?

Posted Image

Cut it out. I used my old soldering iron. If your not sure what peg i'm talking about, perhaps its absence in this next picture will make it clear.

Posted Image

Edit

So, here's a story. I purchased a Voltmeter a few weeks ago. It did not arrive by the date i was quoted, so gave it a few days. Still nothing, i contacted the company, and said it has not arrived. They issue me a full refund, so i figure it's not showing up. "Damn," i think "I really wanted it. Oh well, i got my money back." That was that, so i made this write up. Yesterday, i get a package. Lo and behold, my Voltmeter! Lets install it, shall we?

Posted Image

Please snip off the wings, i tried to use them trust me, just snip them off.

Posted Image

Where should we put it?

Posted Image

Can it really be that easy? Yes, yes it can. Please note, i do not use stocks with my stryfe's. If you would like to find a different place to put it, by all means. However, it does look sweet glowing underneath a Retaliator stock. Draw the outline of the meter,

Posted Image

And cut it out. I used an old soldering iron to melt the plastic, then cleaned it up with a razor. It turned out great, and it was easy. So were going to need to remove some pegs from the inside. The two pegs that we can't see through need to be removed. You can see where i cut out the rectangle on the back,but the pegs are holding it in.

Posted Image

Here they are removed. An old soldering iron is your best friend.

Posted Image

Do the same on the other side, here's a before shot. Be sure to remove the return spring.

Posted Image

And after.

Posted Image

Of course, we need to wire a switch into it. Right here looks good. As a note, this is the empty side of the shell, and this location is right next to the switch on the other side of the shell, in case your confused.

Posted Image

I did not do any measuring, i just went at it. My switch is 8mm by 11mm, so the hole will be different depending on your dimensions. Again, soldering iron and razor to clean it up.

Posted Image

So we need to mount our voltmeter. A small amount of Epoxy putty will work dreams. Be sure to install it right side up!

Posted Image

Wait for half an hour. Go look around nerf haven for a bit. I recommend the Modification and Paintjob thread, some cool shit. I'm always in awe of Eik's paint.

Now its wire time.

Posted Image

The red is from the voltmeter, the yellow is a spare bit of wire. You'll need that. Here's a quick shot of what we have right now, loose black and loose yellow.

Posted Image

So hold your two half's together kinda like this. As you can see, the yellow gets connected to the positive terminal, and the black goes to negative. Do that now.

Posted Image

I forgot to take a picture, but put your return spring back on the middle peg. This does not hinder firing performance, but if you would like a faster return just shorten the spring a bit.

So here's a tricky part, hold the two half's inches away from each other, like your going to put them together. Put a gollop of hot glue on the voltmeter's side of the shell, right in the middle of the wires. Lick your finger, and press the wires into it. This will keep them from interfering with the firing mech.

Alright, put your blaster back together.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Your voltmeter will now let you know when it's time to change your batteries! Don't forget about the switch! Here's a shot of mine on, the display is blue so my camera is having a hard time with it. I ordered red, but it was free so no complaints.

Posted Image

And here's your new switch bank!

Posted Image

End Edit

If you used the right size drill bit, your laser should be sighted in fairly well. If not, spend some time with a clip of darts, some superglue, and a wall. I recommend Locktite, because it has a very short drying time. Place glue around the diode, fire a few shots, hold the laser in place with your finger. Fire a few more shots, make sure its sighted in, and don't move that finger.

If you need any more details, let me know.
Here are the motors i used, thanks 0reo.
The battery tray, switches, and diodes.

This entire mod is probably covered in Coop's Strayven guide, minus the laser, so to keep this as original as possible (not even a little bit) i have yet to read his guide. I guess i'll go do that now.

Sorry for the random links, after adding the Voltmeter i couldn't have that many pictures. I moved as much as i could to the post above, but sacrifices must be made.

Btw, this FNG group is amazing. I used my entire day's posts for one write up. I hope your happy nerfhaven, i feel like a slave...
Happy nerfing.

EXTRA EDIT FOR ICEDRAGOON

FNG and all...

It doesn't impede the function at all. Not even a little bit.
Here's a video i made when i first did this mod, i've used this blaster many times and have never had a problem with the firing and feeding action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psDkyBkhKnM

#328937 Complete Stryfe Mod Guide

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 22 April 2013 - 12:09 AM in Modifications

I feel bad for making this guide, softbutfirm just posted his guide to taking out the locks. I did this mod yesterday, and would of had it up but the Sunday scramble to get all my Monday work done kicked in.

What you need: Needlenose pliers, wire cutters, soldering iron, solder, Flathead and Phillips screwdrivers, superglue, hotglue gun, drill & 13/64 bit, old soldering iron, duct tape, replacement motors, laser diode, switch, 2 AAA battery holder, razor blade.

Before opening up your Stryfe, we need to drill a hole. See this circle on the front of the stock stryfe? The picture is absolute shite, but its there.

Posted Image

Get a drill bit that's one size smaller than your laser diode. For mine, it was a 13/64 bit.

Posted Image

Drill out the circle from earlier. Again, my camera had trouble focusing. The pictures get better, i promise.

Posted Image

Now we open the Stryfe. Here is it completely stock.

Posted Image

Lock removal time. First up is the electrical magazine lock.

Posted Image

Unscrew the orange plate. You will need to pull the trigger to remove it, watch out for the acceleration mechanical lock, its time will come. Remove both the electric switch and the orange bit pictured below.

Posted Image

Screw back on the orange plate.

Posted Image

Okay acceleration lock, i should have removed you first so now im angry.

Posted Image

Unscrew the orange plate and remove the mechanical lock only so it looks like this.

Posted Image

Put the plate back on. Keep the electrical switch in there, we might need it later.

Now we turn our gaze to the thermistor on the battery pack.

Posted Image

Before unscrewing it, take the wire cutters and cut just below the yellow m&m. Like so.

Posted Image

Okay, now we can remove it.

Posted Image

The dart check lock. I recommend leaving it in, it really helps when you want your blaster to jam up during normal use. A real life saver. Take this worthless piece of plastic out.

Posted Image

At this time go ahead and remove the wire cover pictured below. Hang onto it, were going to be putting it back in later.

Posted Image

Okay, now we need to get those extra electric lock out. Start by cutting the red wire of the Jam door lock.

Posted Image

Cool, now cut the blue wire on the clip check lock.

Posted Image

We also need to remove the wires form the thermistor, snip the black wire.

Posted Image

Cool, set those off to the side. Barry, i heard we're going to be replacing the motors? That's right other Barry, so unscrew the flywheel cage. There are four screws, they are the same size as the shell screws, except a little longer. Make a note of that.

Posted Image

Okay, here are the motors. Barry, you had the soldering iron heating up right? Yes i did other Barry, i take initiative. Good thinking Barry, unsolder the black and red wires from the motors.

Posted Image

Already done other Barry.

Posted Image

Good, good. Remove the two black rubber motor holders. Save them, they're going back in. Now open the flywheel cage. Its a four pressure peg system, just press them in one at a time and it should open.

Posted Image

So time to remove the flywheel. Get out the flathead screwdriver. Slip it under and through the other side of the wheel. Place your thumb atop the wheel and slowly pry up. Don't try and rip it off now, change the placement of the driver to the other side. This is a game of patience, just do it slow and you'll be fine.

Posted Image

Here are the flywheels. The top one is slightly cracked, as you can see. Simply apply light super glue and ittl be good as new; but next time don't fuck it up, Barry.

Posted Image

Now we coat the wheels. You don't need to do this, so skip this step if you want to. Coating the wheels allows them to grip the darts better, in theory. I've never tested it, so whatever. I coat my wheels in duct tape. You can use Plastidip, but that will wear off after awhile. My method is permanent, and that's why i use it. Rip a strip of tape in half, now carefully line up the clean edge to either edge of the wheel. Once its wrapped, take a razor blade and cut where the tape makes on complete revolution.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now take the blade and cut away the excess.

Posted Image

Good, now do the other one. Apply a light coat of superglue to the seam of the tape. Set the wheels aside to dry.

Now grab our new motors. We'll need to connect them together somehow, so i used the extra orange wire that we cut out of the stryfe earlier. Simply cut it in half, strip both ends, and remove some insulation in the middle.

Posted Image

simply connect them in the standard configuration, the positive wire is on the leads closer to the 'barrel' end. Just do a quick solder job, and were good.

Posted Image

Don't forget to put the black rubber holders back on.

Posted Image

Set the cage off to the side, were waiting on our flywheels to dry. Did somebody say Laser? Okay, fine, we'll put a laser in. But i'm not happy about it. Glue your AAA holder as seen to the bottom of the jam door. Hot glue works great.

Posted Image

#328812 Rampage + Triad

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 16 April 2013 - 09:11 PM in Modifications

About your integration: apparently epoxy putty works well for you, but I would suggest using epoxy or J-B Weld for the initial bond, because epoxy putty doesn't grab onto things nearly as well as epoxy does.

The Tri-ad top is rough and oddly shaped enough for the putty to grab too.

The bottom the the cutoff grip is also full of crevasses and holes that the putty loves to love.

Epoxy is stronger on a flat to flat bond, but the putty has enough handholds here to do just fine.

And yea Az, it was basically copypasta with some image fixes.

#328809 Cincinnati Warmer War "Warm Up 2"

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 16 April 2013 - 08:57 PM in Nerf Wars

Unable to rock this one. Yea, none of you know me but my goal this summer is to go to as many Ohio wars as i can. I live in a suburb of Dayton, but this is the weekend before finals.

Hopefully i'll make an appearance or two in future Ohio wars.

#328697 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 12 April 2013 - 01:54 PM in Modifications

The Breasted Paramedic
Posted Image

A video about it for more information

#328696 Rampage + Triad

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 12 April 2013 - 01:36 PM in Modifications

Here we go,

**What you need**: Stock Triad, Drill, 9/32 bit, 3/32 bit, silicone grease, spring, flat & phillips head screwdriver, hands.

**What you do**: Take your Triad, admire its stock form, and prepare for evolution.
Posted Image

Unscrew the four Philips on the bottom gray baseplate. Remove plunger assembly.
Posted Image
Unscrew the single philips on top of the plunger head.
Posted Image
This allows you to remove the stock spring and put in your new spring.
Posted Image
I used a Omw Vulcan 5kg, on the left, and you can buy them here http://www.orangemod..._p/spg-vc1.htm.

At this time, please drill four 3/32 holes in the gray baseplate. Like so, this helps diffuse the slight vacuum created when the plunger depresses and fires.
Posted Image

Okay, so the drill is out. Change to the 9/32 bit. Drill a hole dead center in the back of the Triad. Unscrew.
Posted Image

Now you need your flathead. Simply pry the back plate off.
Posted Image

Remove said plate, now we see the AR assembly. It is comprised of white and blue pegs. Remove the blue so it looks like this.
Posted Image

Okay, good. Now put the AR assembly back in and screw it tight. At this point, everything is done and its time for reassembly. Before that though, grease on up the plungerhead.
Posted Image
Its O-ring makes a great seal, so there is no need for replacement; grease works just fine.

When reattaching the base plate, **do not** over tighten. It is very easy to stress/crack the screwports.
Posted Image
Performance is unaffected, but it looks sloppy.

Ta Daa! You're Tri-ad evolved!

Now that the Tri-ad is complete, lets take a look at the Rampage.

What you need: Drill, 3/8 bit, 7/32 bit, Hacksaw (dremel w/ cutting bit or Grinders wheel), Silicone grease, springs, Epoxy putty, needlenose pliers, screwdriver, soldering iron, sand paper, water.

what you do: Lets get some internal mod's going on the Rampage. Completely unscrew it, there are no hidden screws. Flay the blaster open.
Posted Image
The first thing were going to do is remove the AR.
Posted Image
Some people use hammer's and screwdrivers to crack it in half, i do a two stage drilling process. Drill strait through with the 7/32 bit. Some pieces will fall out, if they dont use needlenose pliers to remove all lose pieces. Also use these pliers to remove the AR spring, this will cause havoc with the larger bit.
Posted Image
Switch to the 3/8 bit and drill through again. This should completely remove the AR.
Posted Image

Cool, now lets take some pesky locks out. See these locks?
Posted Image
Take off the orange plate to remove them, its a simple pressure peg system. And this one?
Posted Image
Take em' out. I don't know what they do, but locks are bad! Put the orange plate back on, here are the locks we removed.
Posted Image

Okay, lets put it all together again. Reassemble, but be sure to exclude the spring. Add some silicone grease to the boltsled if desired, the elite stock seal is amazing. One you have the blaster shells rescrewed, its time to add the spring.
Posted Image
This is a three step process, first slightly spread the shell in the back.
Posted Image
Insert the first coil of the spring.
Posted Image
Apply light pressure and the spring should insert all the way to its last coil.
Posted Image
Simply twist in the direction the spring goes, and presto!
Posted Image
Screw the endcap back on.

Now the fun begins.

Take the front grip and screw it together. Now take a saw and lob it off as shown.
Posted Image
Now you need to trim the back edge of the grip, remove all the plastic except the peg that holds the metal prime bar.
Posted Image
I shaved this peg down slightly, but it's still firm.
Posted Image
You can accomplish this with a grinders wheel, which i used for the original one i made. I did it this time with an old soldering iron to melt the plastic.

Now shave down the top of the triad. Remove those funky 'sights' and carve down the back portion. Don't worry, this wont hurt the internals. Rough up both the grip and triad top with sand paper. Now rinse these parts with water and dry completely.
Posted Image

Cool, place the grip back on the rampage and screw it in. Now balance the rampage on its back so it's level, youll have to use some supports, i used the cut off front grip.
Posted Image
Mix some putty, not too much, and place it on the triad as seen.
Posted Image
Now press firmly to the pump grip and make sure its centered!
Posted Image

In half an hour, mix up somemore putty to press into the rather large gap you see. This fills the gap and also strengthens the bond. Half an hour later, the integration is finished!
Posted Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w17c2BwWH7g
The Tri-ad ranges in this video are without the new spring. This video is of my original Rampage + Tri-ad, and this guide follows the making of my second one.

Here's a video all about this blaster. Pay no attention to me attempting to pawn it.

RESPONSE TO GRIEVER 2112
Since im a FNG (aka 2nd class citizen) i cant respond to you normally.
I have had no problems with the integrity of the integration, i've put a few hundred rounds through the rampage and the Tri-ad is super stable.
Yes you would have to crack off the Tri-ad to open the rampage. This is it's one design flaw, I have a few idea's in the works on how to make it removable yet sturdy enough for rigorous use. If i ever make another one, which i probably will, i'll make it removable.

But the integration costs $5, so its really not a huge deal to crack it off and redo.