Lancaster's Content

There have been 222 items by Lancaster (Search limited from 06-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#86318 Nf Mod Question

Posted by Lancaster on 02 August 2006 - 02:11 PM in Modifications

I've just finished modding my Nite Finder, my second mod (I did a basic air limiter mod on my maverick). I did all the basics, hacked out the air restrictors, added a crayola barrel, banded it, and used a coping saw to remove the dart holders and LED 'sight'. The gun is much smaller now and more powerful. It can fire stefans, too.

I just have a few questions about the crayola barrel. I've run a power drill around the interior for what seems like a thousand times to make sure the barrel is hollowed out. But darts still seem to have a difficult time fitting. Stefans do okay, just a little more snug then I'd prefer, but micros don't fit at all. Should I hollow it out more? I'm afraid that I'm going to put a hole in the side of the barrel. I've left the barrel completely uncut, it's the exact length of the marker with the ends cut off. What do you think I should use to hollow out the barrel? I've got a dremel and a power drill, but I don't know how effective these are.

Also, when I fire stefans they fly erratically, spinning and flipping. I don't know if this is the quality of the darts or what. I'm using 2 1/4 inch long darts, with 1 1/2 inch long nails as weights. The hot glue domes usually look okay, so I don't think they're the problem.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

#86342 Nf Mod Question

Posted by Lancaster on 02 August 2006 - 05:47 PM in Modifications

Thanks for the advice with the Stefans, I'll go get some fishing weights.

About the barrel, I've got some 1/2 schedule 40 PVC lying around that I'm using to make a SNAP-1, but I don't know if it's cpvc or not. It seems too thick to fit on the gun, but the crayola fits inside perfectly. If I try to put a Stefan in, it goes straight through. Do you think it we be better just to use brass? Is the width 17/32, I think that's what I saw on another post...

Thanks for the help!

#86568 Nf Mod Question

Posted by Lancaster on 05 August 2006 - 04:21 PM in Modifications

Alright, thanks a million for the help guys. I went in to ACE and got some 9/16 brass ($10????). I've run in to some trouble with the barrel, much more so than with the crayola barreled one I already have (I got another NF I'm planning on trying this out on). What would you recommend I use to bond the brass to the plastic piece that goes on front of the plunger? I tried hot glue, no dice. The barrel came right off.

Another thing, should the suction cup on front of micros fit inside the barrel or stick out of it? The crayola barrel I have on my other nitefinder is much tighter, so I'm worried that I won't get as much distance out of the brass because of the looser fit.

I really appreciate the help, as I am but a lowly n00b.

#86617 Favorite Music Style -poll-

Posted by Lancaster on 06 August 2006 - 09:41 AM in Off Topic

You've gotta love Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, but lately I've switched to more ambient bands like Icelandic group Sigur Ros and Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

#86618 Video Games

Posted by Lancaster on 06 August 2006 - 09:43 AM in Off Topic

Splinter Cell is my favourite, incredible graphics, immersive soundtrack, and some great game play make the series one of the best.

#86629 Favorite Music Style -poll-

Posted by Lancaster on 06 August 2006 - 01:23 PM in Off Topic

... but lately I've switched to more ambient bands like Icelandic group Sigur Ros and Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

There you go, I've seen both of them live.
I've Seen sigur ros twice, once for 8 bucks, once for 80. and 5 years apart

Same's gonna happen with dragonforce when they get bigger than they already are... sadly

Nice. Did you see them both at the same time? I heard about a Sigur Ros and GSYBE! concert in 2000 (or maybe 2001? I can't remember). I wish they'd come down south, instead of only touring in Northern America and Europe.

#86637 Nf Mod Question

Posted by Lancaster on 06 August 2006 - 03:04 PM in Modifications

Wow, thanks for the tip!

So the hot glue works fine on brass? I wouldn't think so, but maybe I'll just try again.

I'm testing my crayola Nite Finder for ranges, and I've noticed something strange. First of all, the arch of the gun is incredibly steep. If I fire at a sliding glass door 20 feet away, the dart will hit about 3 feet above where I'm aiming. But after the peak, the dart drops very quickly.

Another thing is that if I angle the gun up even a little, say... 5 degrees, there seems not only to be a huge increase in distance, but in power as well. It's scary to see the thing fired at a 15 foot away target when aimed up a little. I can fire at a mirror at a distance of 15 feet and the thing will almost fall of the wall. But when fired flat, it seems much less powerful.

Also, when fired outdoors the gun gets about half the distance, or it would seem so (I can't find my tape measure). Maybe it's just perspective, but the gun is frightening indoors and timid outdoors.

Thanks for the help, you guys are great!

(p.s. I think it's a small accomplishment that after typing this entire post, I clicked the Google spellcheck feature on my toolbar and it proclaimed: "no spelling errors identified!")

#86646 Nf Mod Question

Posted by Lancaster on 06 August 2006 - 05:27 PM in Modifications

Hmmm..There seemed to be a slight wind at the time I fired it. The darts always go longer than any open areas in my house, so I need to go to a gym or something. And I also need to get a hold of a tape measure.

I'm just really surprised at the amount of power and distance angling seems to add. I went out and fire a flat shot in my backyard and counted the paces it took to get to the dart. It took 46 paces, and my feet are 10" long each. I'm not going to bother with the math, but I think I got some good distance for firing in the wind.

Oh, and the brass I got seems to fit stock. I just need to get some BBs or fishing weights when my mom isn't looking, I left a welt on my brother's arm when I fired a stefan at him at medium range. I really think i need to stop using nails as weights...

#86704 Nf Mod Question

Posted by Lancaster on 07 August 2006 - 03:26 PM in Modifications

Yes, how did you know?

#87074 Crossfire Twin Packs In The Uk

Posted by Lancaster on 10 August 2006 - 06:20 PM in General Nerf

Could 'TK Maxx' be like the American chain TJ Maxx which also sells cheap clothes and toys?

#87076 Sharpshooting Ladder Attachment

Posted by Lancaster on 10 August 2006 - 06:38 PM in Modifications

Am I right in thinking they had ladder sights on British Bren LMGs? I thought I saw those in COD...

Nice mod, I'd try it on my NF if it was practical for a sidearm, it arcs like crazy.

#87081 Nf Mod Question

Posted by Lancaster on 10 August 2006 - 08:01 PM in Modifications

Sorry if this post is considered 'dead' but I wasn't able to post for a while.

I just didn't want to start a new topic or anything for what may be considered a n00b question.

What is a pvc coupler? Is it like a bushing? I've seen this discussed and don't quite understand. Is a coupler used to screw different barrels into a gun?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

#87218 Gmail Invites

Posted by Lancaster on 12 August 2006 - 01:08 PM in Off Topic

Google is incredible, so much great, free software! Do any of you use Google Earth? It's pretty cool to view your house from 20,000 miles above the Earth's surface. The Google toolbar is great too, there's a nice little spellcheck button built in for those of you who are close to being suspended for improper spelling. Gmail is the bomb, more storage than you could ever hope to use.

#87260 Longshot Mod

Posted by Lancaster on 12 August 2006 - 10:46 PM in Modifications

Hey everyone, I'm having some trouble visualizing the performance of the longshot after modification would someone be willing to post a video of the gun fireing stefans please?

I actually use converted stock darts, but they work the same as stefans. So I made you a wonderful video.

From where I was standing to the camera is 60'. I accidently hit the camera, like 3 or 4 times. It has very good acuracy and I am currently getting ranges of about 105' with an AR removal and a new DT3 spring added in there that I had to cut down a little.

Click here for Video

Where did you get that spring? I'm going to open mine up tommorow, and a new spring may be in order.

Carrtoon's writeup should be posted on the mod page, don't you think?

#87278 Longshot Mod

Posted by Lancaster on 13 August 2006 - 10:06 AM in Modifications

Alright, I've got it open. How do you take out the plunger tube? I'm trying to yank it out, but the sucker seems stuck in.
EDIT: Bah, never mind, I got it out.

What do you think is the best way to go about nesting a brass barrel? The one I have just slides right in. Should I wrap e-tape around the barrel?

Help me, for I am n00b.

P.S. Has anyone managed to make a homemade clip? I can't stand having two.

#87323 Homemade Ls Clip

Posted by Lancaster on 13 August 2006 - 07:31 PM in Modifications

Has anyone considered making a homemade LS clip? I think wood might be suitable, and you could Dremel the appropriate ridges in to make it fit. I really don't have the expertise, but maybe someone who does could right up a schematic?

#87325 Longshot Front Gun Mod

Posted by Lancaster on 13 August 2006 - 07:37 PM in Modifications

I no logner have a dremel but just cant stand air restrictors. I drilled mine out with the head of a phillips screwdriver, then took a flathead scredriver and carefully chiselled out the rest of the restrictor. works fine :)

You might want to watch your spelling and capitalization. Google has a spellcheck feture on it's toobar.

I was cocking my front gun repeditively, and I think I messed it up. It will only cock if you pull it just right. Maybe I snapped something?

#87366 Longshot Front Gun Mod

Posted by Lancaster on 14 August 2006 - 07:38 AM in Modifications

I no logner have a dremel but just cant stand air restrictors. I drilled mine out with the head of a phillips screwdriver, then took a flathead scredriver and carefully chiselled out the rest of the restrictor. works fine :(

You might want to watch your spelling and capitalization. Google has a spellcheck feture on it's toobar.

I was cocking my front gun repeditively, and I think I messed it up. It will only cock if you pull it just right. Maybe I snapped something?

He mispelled one word Lancaster, ONE. You mispelled repetitively, so please try not to run around correcting others (particularly on what are obviously typing mistakes and not true English errors) when you can't even nitpick yourself.

On topic now, the gun looks cool. Isn't it big enough to get better performance from than only 35 feet? It looks too big to only get that short of range. It kind of reminds me of the guns from Equilibrium. Could it take a bigger spring maybe, or some bands?

He misspelled:
1. longer
2. screwdriver

He also did not capitalize. Sorry to insult a veteran, but at least get your facts straight before you blatantly insult me for trying to help someone.

Also, I'm not "running around" correcting others. This was the first time I said anything to anyone about spelling or capitalization, and I was only trying to help him out. I now understand that it is not always the people with poor grammar who get flamed, but the people who try to help them, too. I know that you guys like to be harsh, and I have no problem with it, but to be harsh on those who want to help and have been nothing but respecttful? That's not harsh, it's anger without a cause.

And what did I spell wrong? You're the one who misspelled 'misspell'.

#87543 Emplaced Machine Gun Design

Posted by Lancaster on 15 August 2006 - 03:12 PM in Modifications

I think some pictures would be nice, even if you have to take them with a cellphone or something. I really want to see this.

#87544 Homemade Ls Clip

Posted by Lancaster on 15 August 2006 - 03:29 PM in Modifications

I noticed how you can get 7 in there. If you were to play with the internals, you could probably fit 9+.

Unfortunately, I've already lost 2 darts. Anyone else notice that despite the fact that darts are neon orange, they disappear incredibly fast? I could have sworn that the two that I lost just vanished into thin air. They're not behind my couch, TV, armchair, coffee table, beer cap collection, 3' cardboard Yoda cutout, TV stand...

#87545 Costom Duct Tape Vests For Sale

Posted by Lancaster on 15 August 2006 - 03:36 PM in Homemades

It's also not a good idea to go out on Halloween in Florida wearing a full trench coat, jeans, WWII army helmet, gas mask, and blue suede shoes. Things tend to get a little sweaty.

Don't you get $2,000 from some weird agency if you wear a duct tape tux to your senior prom?

Oh, and pictures would be nice.

#87566 Longshot Sight

Posted by Lancaster on 15 August 2006 - 06:35 PM in General Nerf

Posted Image

Hey look its me!

Sorry for asking if it should be obvious, but what gun is that?? I've never seen it before.

#87572 Longshot Sight

Posted by Lancaster on 15 August 2006 - 07:28 PM in General Nerf

Hmmm...The only dart tag I've ever seen is the crossfire. I've also never seen any mods for that one. Is it rare?

#87627 My Longshot Mod.

Posted by Lancaster on 16 August 2006 - 03:17 PM in Modifications

Any idea how it is that adding a better barrel hurt your performance so much? This worries me a bit, especially as I just epoxied in a long brass barrel in my LS. :D

Try that out would you? I'm considering brassing mine and wouldn't mind seeing the results before I do.

Also, I was test firing a NF I just brassed, and the streamlines get consistently 10' more than regular micros.

#87759 Costom Duct Tape Vests For Sale

Posted by Lancaster on 18 August 2006 - 07:32 AM in Homemades

Your one big problem is expense. Duct tape is freaking expensive.

#87787 My First Solniod

Posted by Lancaster on 18 August 2006 - 05:39 PM in Homemades

You linked me to a bunch of furniture.

#87788 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Lancaster on 18 August 2006 - 05:52 PM in Homemades

Nice, very impressive. Do you guys still participate in some sort of 'South-East Nerf Out'? I live in Florida and can't seem to find any info on wars anywhere near.

#87813 What's Up With My 3b?

Posted by Lancaster on 19 August 2006 - 02:13 PM in General Nerf

I went into Target today, checked out all the guns. Titan, LS, Magstrike, Dart Tag, Maverick, and what I came to buy: a Big Bad Bow. I paid $20 for it, brought it home and ripped it out of those pesky plasitic straps. First thing I noticed, there was no manual in the box. No paper. Not even an advertisement for Nerf Footballs. Strange... I took out the pieces of the bow, all 6 arrows. I put one of the arrows on the gun, pulled it back and felt a good amount of resistance, and pulled the trigger.

Nothing happened. I tried to pull it back from the extended position, but it was stuck. I kept trying. I put the gun down and looked for the manual. When I came back, the gun slid right back in place. I pulled it back and fired with the same result. What's the matter? Is there something I forgot to do because I couldn't read the manual? I'm a little depressed right now, so can you guys help me out? ^_^

#87815 What's Up With My 3b?

Posted by Lancaster on 19 August 2006 - 02:23 PM in General Nerf

Thanks for the quick reply, it means a lot.

The arrow does not leave the barrel.

When I fire it does make a little noise, less than that of what my longshot makes.

I can cock it back.

When I fire, it makes a decent noise.

1. I can load the arrow.

2. I can pull it back.

3. I can pull the trigger.

4. I cannot push it forward.

5. I have to wait about 4 seconds to repeat.

#87823 What's Up With My 3b?

Posted by Lancaster on 19 August 2006 - 03:09 PM in General Nerf

Darn. I knew I should have gotten the second one on the shelf! I'll return it if another solution doesn't pop up and punch me in the face.

#87892 What's Up With My 3b?

Posted by Lancaster on 20 August 2006 - 01:21 PM in General Nerf

No guys, same thing happened to me, DO NOT RETURN THE GUN. Cock it then put an arrow on the tip, usually the really good ones when pulled back do not let air in because the seal between the plunger collar and plunger shaft is so good. Try this then if it still does not work then return it.

Meiser--- <_<

Nah, that's not it. There's definitely something wrong with the gun. When I fire, no air is released. After firing, the gun is still primed and won't slide back to its original position for about 30 seconds. Thanks, though.

#87893 Longshot + Titan Integration

Posted by Lancaster on 20 August 2006 - 01:24 PM in Modifications

Very badass. Did I miss something or did you not post any ranges for the gun?

#87895 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Lancaster on 20 August 2006 - 01:27 PM in Homemades

Excellent. How many darts can you fit in the clip, and what kind of ranges are you getting?

Name?

#87897 Bikes!

Posted by Lancaster on 20 August 2006 - 01:37 PM in Off Topic

I've got a hard-tail Boulder SE from Giant. I paid $250 for it (my own money, thank you very much). I've taken it out 10+ times on a pretty challenging MTB course at a nearby course. It's over 10 miles long, so riding the length can really take the wind out of you. Very good bike.

EDIT: Who's got the Specialized? I envy you.

#87902 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Lancaster on 20 August 2006 - 01:49 PM in Homemades

Nice. Chance of a writeup?

#87904 When And How Did You Start Nerfing?

Posted by Lancaster on 20 August 2006 - 01:54 PM in General Nerf

My first gun was a maverick, about 3 months ago. My first mod was a maverick, about three months ago. <_<

Unfortunately, that maverick is now M.I.A. :blink:

#87905 Dartsmithing Tips Archive

Posted by Lancaster on 20 August 2006 - 02:00 PM in Darts and Barrels

Helpful guide. Has someone given a writeup on how to modify taggers to shoot out of a longshot? The ones I have jam in the clip and don't fire anyway.

#87909 Longshot + Titan Integration

Posted by Lancaster on 20 August 2006 - 02:36 PM in Modifications

Obviously the ranges are titan ranges. He took a titan tank and put it in another gun, therefore it gets titan ranges. Very creative Ryan!

Well he is firing micros, right? I thought there might have been a difference . . .

#87931 Longshot + Titan Integration

Posted by Lancaster on 20 August 2006 - 07:00 PM in Modifications

Oh, I'm sorry.

#87932 What's Up With My 3b?

Posted by Lancaster on 20 August 2006 - 07:02 PM in General Nerf

Thanks for the help! I'll open it up and yank that thing out. I'll try to have the results up tomorrow. :D

EDIT: I just opened it up and removed the restricters. I put it back together. The gun fires arrows about 10 feet tops. I'm not sure what to do now.

Should I:
a. Sand down the insides and shove in some brass, hoping micros will fire correctly, and risking $20?
b. Return the gun, get a new one.

I need your help here, guys. $20 is a big risk for me right now, I'm a little low on moolah. Thanks.