Zorns Lemma's Content

There have been 1000 items by Zorns Lemma (Search limited from 04-February 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#281185 Nerf Stampede - Reviews & Internals Guide

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 24 July 2010 - 11:18 PM in General Nerf

that way the lips will spread out on the back half

You'll do a lot better if you spread the lips with the front. Trying to wriggle the back in there first seems a bit counterintuitive.

#281143 Nerf Stampede - Reviews & Internals Guide

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 24 July 2010 - 12:27 PM in General Nerf

As far as brass breeches go, I don't see why you'd have to rotate the barrel Zorn,

Since the mechanism is open at rest, trying to load magazines at rest has a high chance of ruining your half-pipe. Rotating it during loading and "almost firing" the blaster seem the two simplest, if not most ideal solutions.

#320334 Bs-12 Advanced Tactical Nerf Rifle

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 11 August 2012 - 12:09 PM in Homemades

can you send me the schematics for those rifles

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

1. This topic is over a year old
2. Capitalization and punctuation are required for posting on these forums
3. If you had bothered to read the thread, you would know that boltsniper actually provide models on page 4:

Model available for download.

DOWNLOAD

IGES Format
No Springs Modeled
No Fasteners Modeled

Please reread the New Members Guide before posting again.

#269101 Nerf Irc Room

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 14 March 2010 - 06:39 AM in Off Topic

Uhh, so I entered the chat, and was banned by Chanserv in about a minute... I hadn't even typed anything yet. After the ban it said in parentheses "tantrumbullshit", so I'm guessing this wasn't a glitch/accidental. I'm posting here because I didn't get a chance to see who was admin.

Talio: Sure, I'll just PM bob, badwrench, or zorn. At least one of them is always in the chat.

You're not banned in #nerfchat and logs show you never were.

#208511 Nerf Irc Room

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 01 February 2009 - 01:20 AM in Off Topic

If you want a dedicated IRC client, rather than the embedded one Mr BadWrench linked, Firefox has an IRC extension (Chatzilla), and mIRC, Icechat, and X-chat are all good standalone programs.

I actually wouldn't recommend Pidgin/Trillian for IRC.

#291033 Nerf Irc Room

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 16 December 2010 - 03:50 PM in Off Topic

This is an information thread, not a discussion thread.

#240630 Nerf Irc Room

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 07 July 2009 - 11:52 AM in Off Topic

I've had to put in a few broad-area IP bans because certain people *cough*LSW*cough* keep trying to circumvent their bans.

The downside is that this sometimes also catches other members, so if you get auto-kicked or are continuously unable to join the chat, PM me or post here and I'll go about figuring out how to set an exception.

#208767 Nerf Irc Room

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 01 February 2009 - 09:19 PM in Off Topic

I gave it another whirl today and I think I'm going to leave this one on my autojoin.

#208521 Nerf Irc Room

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 01 February 2009 - 01:37 AM in Off Topic

I was rather disappointed with the quality of the chat, given that prescribed on these forums.

#232325 Nerf Irc Room

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 24 May 2009 - 09:41 PM in Off Topic

Shrub/LSW: you get a week off for being an idiot and trying to impersonate an ircop/sysop

#340408 Rainbow Pistol Write Up

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 15 July 2014 - 09:19 PM in Homemades

If you are using the "share on forums / BBCode" feature of Flickr, I'm not sure there is a way to disable the attribution. The best way is to manually delete that stuff as you paste it in.

I just cleaned up your OP in bulk by matching this following regex pattern:
\[url=https\://flic.kr/p/\w*+]\w[^,]*+, on Flickr

and replacing all instances of it with a null character.

The only assumption this pattern makes is that your Flickr image names all start with an alphanumeric character, and do not contain a comma. If your images did in fact contain commas then I would have to replace the very efficient possessive tail pattern [^,]*+, on Flickr with something like .*?, on Flickr which would still fail if any of your image titles contained the phrase ", on Flickr"

#340518 Rainbow Pistol Write Up

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 18 July 2014 - 12:02 PM in Homemades

Yes, I do mean #6-32 machine screws. I know the difference between different screws are and I know that there are a wide variety of head options, but for this application, machine screws work just fine. I've never done test trying to deliberately pull or rip the handle off, but it has held up to dropping and normal blaster wear.

Are wood screws more expensive than machine screws?

They're cheaper, easier to install, and hold in wood better.

There's really no reason to not be using wood screws to hold in your handles.

#260806 Deploy Cs-6 Sneak Peek

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 05 January 2010 - 06:18 PM in General Nerf

Nerf has produced such a surplus of recons that they must now find new shells for the internals.

In a few months we will start seeing Hasbro offer "recon replacement shell kits" for the current models.

#307659 The NIC Spring Database

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 22 November 2011 - 07:12 AM in General Nerf

Link for that quote in the OP http://nerfhaven.com...ndpost&p=228572

#319179 The NIC Spring Database

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 25 July 2012 - 11:51 AM in General Nerf

For McMaster springs that are meant to be cut-to-length, spring constant is not very useful as it changes with the length of the spring.

What is constant for a given coils-per-inch, wire diameter, coil diameter, and material, is the total load bearing force.

#285901 Nerf Stampede - Voltage Increase / Rof & Firing Tests

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 22 September 2010 - 11:40 PM in Modifications

A common laptop battery mod is to open up the casing (doesn't work with Macs for obvious reasons) and replacing the stock batteries with much more durable ones after the originals start to die. So to reemphasize what wes said, avoid doing the reverse and putting laptop batteries into a much harsher environment. Low quality batteries quickly deteriorate under stop-and-start drain/recharge.

#226967 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 28 April 2009 - 08:14 PM in General Nerf

Save link as.

#283947 Official Steam/pc Gaming Thread

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 25 August 2010 - 12:16 AM in Off Topic

Anyone play SC2 and bought US boxed sets? I must construct additional guest passes :<

Also, lowest ftw.

If its any good I may get it. I heard shit reviews. Whats you're opinion?

I am ranked in like the top 2% of the world after 7 hours of guest passing, so I am probably pretty biased here :V

It's definitely the best RTS game out right now hands down. But the RTS genre and computer games in general is losing right now to console and console imitation (basically all of steam :V) games. eSports is also not very popular in North America as compared to Europe and Asia.

Single player is pretty awesome. The matchmaking is also really good though, even if battle.net2.0 has less features than the original from 1995...

#283896 Official Steam/pc Gaming Thread

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 24 August 2010 - 02:05 AM in Off Topic

Anyone play SC2 and bought US boxed sets? I must construct additional guest passes :<

Also, lowest ftw.

#280899 Official Steam/pc Gaming Thread

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 21 July 2010 - 05:33 PM in Off Topic

Fuck yea alien swarm.

#317576 JSPB-The Mad Ghost

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 26 June 2012 - 01:53 PM in Homemades

I doubt 3DBBQ is going to check this any time soon so take some photos and post a new help topic. I know some other members have build a Mad Ghost so you'd get more visibility for your question there.

Don't necro kids, PM the OP instead.

#266970 The Hamp (high Airflow Manual Plunger)

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 25 February 2010 - 10:03 PM in Homemades

If one would not have the materials to do this, would you be willing to sell one of your one? And for how much?Please answer.

It's fucking duct tape, PVC, cardboard, and yarn. The cuts are made with a combination of hacksaw, scissors, and steak knife. We're not milling military grade aluminum on a CNC machine here.

#346708 Quick Exhaust Valve Homemade Airgun v1.0

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 12 May 2015 - 10:01 PM in Homemades

I think anyone who can put IKEA furniture together can order a bunch of high-rated fittings, valves, regulators, and tanks and kill small mammals with it.

You should expand your design goal 2) to be more specific:

2a) Doesn't look like a paintball gun / airsoft gun (necessary for public nerfing in the USA)
2b) Doesn't cost more than an ESLT / [insert mid-range airsoft blaster here] (low barrier to entry for nerfing)
2c) Runs at low pressure (additional safety measure to make the design idiot-proof)
2d) Requires hand pumping / intentionally gimped ROF (otherwise you should just go play airsoft)

#285530 Dartsmithing Tips Archive

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 16 September 2010 - 05:35 PM in Darts and Barrels

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm going to be buying material for captain slug's washer/felt stefans, and wanted to know if I could buy the foam in incriments of something between 25' and 250'. Optimally I would like 100'.

Here is the link to the part in question.

Thanks!

Here is what you want.

Same exact thing you linked to, but in 20' sections instead of 250' sections. I know you want it in 25'+, but is ordering 4x25' that much different from 5x20'?

#227881 Dartsmithing Tips Archive

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 03 May 2009 - 12:13 PM in Darts and Barrels

dick sander

Oh god no.

The rubber band method will fail, because a strong band will deform your blanks, while a weak one will allow them to slide, giving you non-flat ends and defeating the purpose.

If you're going to use the PVC setup, why not just put the foam in and cut it there?

#317545 Dartsmithing Tips Archive

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 25 June 2012 - 07:21 PM in Darts and Barrels

Found a nice outsourcing website, http://www.alibaba.com

You have to buy miles of foam at a time and pay for it shipped across an ocean.

#355393 Apocalypse 2016 - August 6th in Ocean Township, NJ

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 07 August 2016 - 09:37 PM in Nerf Wars

Pros:

- hanging out with friends again (special thanks Phil and Ted)

- 29 confirmed hits in the 5 rounds I participated in, for a 29/7/92 K/D/A

- Ice Nine, JLego, Koree + Wonder Twins making this back-to-back coast-to-coast war festival mania

- Getting to actually nerf with Gears instead of sweet juice wizarding in cancer shacks

- Seeing Slug again since 2009 Deal

- 11fps freeze-frame gif material of Phil eating a Frosty™

Cons:

- sex toys not belonging to Dom

- the internet

#259539 Mcmaster-carr Parts List

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 22 December 2009 - 12:32 AM in General Nerf

Springs:
9657K82 - Catch springs
9637K19 - K19, nests over [k26]

Instead though, you should post a tutorial on how to browse mcmaster. There's way too much stuff for homemades to list, such as various thicknesses of plastic sheet, of various materials, in various LxW dimensions. If you want all of them you might as well just post the pdf of their catalog.

#259613 Mcmaster-carr Parts List

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 23 December 2009 - 12:02 AM in General Nerf

I say get rid of the +bow parts list, and we slowly build a list of things for common/popular blasters

Or, you can learn how to measure and figure out what materials and dimensions you need. Because if you can't do those two, you should give up on homemades.

#259675 Mcmaster-carr Parts List

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 23 December 2009 - 09:36 PM in General Nerf

Why reinvent the wheel? Why not get people more easily to the point where they have the ability to make tried-and-true homemade and innovate from there?

Because if you have to be spoon-fed the materials, then you clearly don't understand why they were chosen, and consequently the product is going to be sub-par.

Also, see:

I see a thread like this bordering into the territory of "tell me what I should use because I don't know how to make decisions for myself", also know as "Wut iz best".

#259713 Mcmaster-carr Parts List

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 24 December 2009 - 03:31 PM in General Nerf

If you think putting all the information in a single location is "spoon feeding" then we should get rid of all the directories, write-ups and hell, even this forum. Because their purpose is the same: Bring information together to make it more accessible.

Writeups aim to teach people. This directory, while useful for replication, is not instructive at all. There's no mention of why certain products are chosen instead of others, or how we are supposed to fit 1/8"x1/4" tubing into a push-button valve whose openings are threaded for 10-32 UNF pipe thread (either just glue it in or get a tube fitting adapter to convert 1/8" ID tubing or 1/4" OD tubing, depending on barbed or compression fitting, into 10-32 thread).

Now, the OP started this thread under the presumption that most people have difficulty browsing mcmaster for the parts they want, not that we should have a bullet list of assorted products, which, without more description of what the items are and how they interact, promotes imitation rather than innovation. To address the problem OP identified, I did a short video tutorial on McMaster:

#236759 Raider Preview

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 16 June 2009 - 01:46 PM in General Nerf

This would be a great gun for a plunger replacement. Basically if you could fit an LS plunger in there it would work well.

Why not take the drum mag and put it in an LS?

Even if you fit the LS plunger tube in and got it to catch correctly on the new plunger rod, you wouldn't have slam fire anymore.

#237387 Raider Preview

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 19 June 2009 - 11:53 AM in General Nerf

I actually care more that it has a 4" priming stroke. You get a lot more leeway in making a breech with that amount of room to play with.

For comparison, my BBB has only a 3.5" priming stroke, which gives me only .5" of leeway on the breech since the nerf magazines are 3" long. Divide that among the 4 sections that take up space, and you're suddenly running out of room. Compensation either goes to more dead space (dart further away from plunger tube) or less reliable mag feed.

With the raider, all those problems will go away :)

#236615 Raider Preview

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 15 June 2009 - 10:29 PM in General Nerf

I spot 2 triggers for the catch plate. I guess that's how slam fire works.

Also, a singe metal bar linking the shotgun handle to the boltsled? Fail.

#223909 Community-wide Mod Contest

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 16 April 2009 - 02:51 AM in News

A technical question: Do we have to post the writeup to the official thread, as boom13 did, or for the sake of space and sanity, can we post the writeup to the main mods forum, and simply link to it from the official thread?

#282671 Alpha Trooper Air Restrictor Removal

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 10 August 2010 - 02:37 AM in Modifications

I find that the slam fire is not as smooth on mine as it is on any of my Raiders, but I may just have a slightly less good one, as QC seems an issue on these from what I've read across the NIC. Anyone else notice this, or do I have a bad one?

The mechanism is the same on both the raider and the alpha tropper, but it seems like the raider's "slam fire bar" has a bit more contact area with the boltsled. Maybe just enough to be beyond the threshold for variance.

#283650 Alpha Trooper Air Restrictor Removal

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 21 August 2010 - 02:54 AM in Modifications

Question about this mod guys. Only my 2nd attempt at modding so sorry for the noob question.

Ok I've drilled ok some stuff out of it. In the back of the tube it looks like theres a ring with 3 pieces of plastic coming out of it attaching itselfs to the tube. Do I remove that ring?

You don't have to. Those pieces are what originally supported the air restrictor. If you want to go for completion the remove it, but if it is going to be too much effort don't bother. You've already opened up airflow in the barrel by quite a lot.

#353775 Armageddon XVII: SoCal's Largest NIC War (2016)

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 26 May 2016 - 04:05 PM in Nerf Wars

See y'all there nerds

#354591 Armageddon XVII: SoCal's Largest NIC War (2016)

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 27 June 2016 - 01:10 AM in Nerf Wars

I uploaded some photos from this year's war: https://www.facebook...=1&l=ff75efc839

Seeing everyone again was excellent, especially with more regional representation this year as well. Hopefully I'll get the chance to come out again next year!

The only things I would improve would be having better dart supply (hopefully mass produced artifact domes will solve this in the near future) so that downtime is minimized, everyone can have standardized barrels and use any darts, and that way we can play more rounds.

7vep7lR.jpg

#282371 Nj Apocalypse 2010

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 07 August 2010 - 01:08 AM in Nerf Wars

SEE YOU FUCKERS TOMORROW.