roboman's Content

There have been 414 items by roboman (Search limited from 22-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#170703 Barrel Splitters?

Posted by roboman on 19 August 2008 - 06:03 PM in Homemades

If you want multiple barrels, go to Home Depot or Lowes, pick up some PVC and Tees, and use that for your manifold.

#299939 W.A.A.G.O.B. (SCUN June War)

Posted by roboman on 16 June 2011 - 12:16 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm coming.

Should be there, and ready to unveil a new game type that Mr.Apollo and I have been working on.

Ooh, sounds fun!

#336779 Help with springs!

Posted by roboman on 31 January 2014 - 11:49 PM in Homemades

Well, you can figure out the spring constant with F=kx, where k is the spring constant (lbs/inch, in this case), F is the force exerted, and x is the amount of deflection. If you divide 8 lbs by .2", you get 40 lbs per inch, assuming your measurements are accurate. That means that at full compression (3" deflection), the spring load is 120 lbs, which is almost certainly too heavy for you to prime without a system that provides a bunch of mechanical advantage.

#336781 Help with springs!

Posted by roboman on 01 February 2014 - 12:10 AM in Homemades

507 Mechanical Movements is a really good resource for that kind of thing. You're gonna wanna go past all of the pulley-based stuff, obviously, unless you want a block and tackle on whatever you end up building. Take a look at the toggle mechanisms for punches, like #140, among other things.

Keep in mind, of course, that whatever you build will have to be beefy enough to stay together under the force of the spring (and the impact when you release it), and your plunger will have to be pretty big to make up for the short stroke.

#347791 B.R.A.D.F,E.S.T.

Posted by roboman on 11 July 2015 - 02:02 AM in Nerf Wars

DATE CHANGE: This is now the 18th. Apparently some of you nerds cool people are going to comic con and can actually make it if the two events don't, you know, happen simultaneously.

#244784 Bite It Mac Owners!

Posted by roboman on 30 July 2009 - 09:39 PM in Off Topic

Your right i have a PC with Firefox and love it, but everyone i know with a Mac uses Safari.

That's funny, every Mac user that I know of (including myself) uses Firefox. I find that Safari has flaws, and isn't compatible with many websites.

#307576 OPRV's?

Posted by roboman on 20 November 2011 - 12:51 PM in Homemades

OPRVs don't generally have a high enough flow to be used as you would like to. However, they can be used to pilot a QEV, in order to make a fully-automatic system.

Alternatively, you can build a SCUNBAG like I did, which is a much simpler way to build a semi-auto system. It won't require nearly as much tuning as a hammer valve system will, and can be made for about $30.

#170762 Cpvc Outside Diameter

Posted by roboman on 19 August 2008 - 09:20 PM in Modifications

Mine is 1/2 SCH40.

SCH 40 PVC isn't CPVC.

#170944 Recon

Posted by roboman on 20 August 2008 - 01:53 PM in General Nerf

They have a tendency to chew up darts.

#323989 Y.U.L.E.T.I.D.E.

Posted by roboman on 28 November 2012 - 12:47 AM in Nerf Wars

I will be there.

#334306 Ultrafire 14500 protected issues

Posted by roboman on 28 September 2013 - 02:42 PM in General Nerf

For the record, the protected cells have circuitry inside of them to limit the maximum current output of each cell - this is done because lithium batteries can explode or catch on fire if they're discharged too quickly. For our purposes, it's fine to use the unprotected cells, because the protection has a fairly high safety factor built into it, which limits the maximum current draw to less than a desirable level for electric blasters. The protection also limits the minimum cell voltage, so you don't permanently damage your batteries (or cause a fire) by taking the cell voltage below the absolute minimum for the battery chemistry. Lithium batteries are very picky and can tend to be volatile, but if you're reasonably careful, you'll be fine.

#334084 3k Tank Issue

Posted by roboman on 17 September 2013 - 01:11 PM in Modifications

It's possible, yes. You might want to put a washer under the screw's head. Just make sure it's not long enough that it tries to push the pin out of the plastic.

#170750 Air Pressure Gun

Posted by roboman on 19 August 2008 - 08:40 PM in Homemades

Is the 1/2 PVC supposed to move?

#180931 Pen Pump

Posted by roboman on 01 October 2008 - 09:28 PM in Homemades

That is a nice design, and it looks pretty easy to build, but of course, you could have gone to the store, spent $5 or less, and bought a decent ball pump that is the same size, and is more efficient.

#259639 Nite Finder - Closing The Gap On A Minimized Shell

Posted by roboman on 23 December 2009 - 10:36 AM in Modifications

Instead of Zap-a-Gap, you can also use a bit of MEK and a brush...just make sure to wear gloves! Using MEK will basically fuse the two pieces together. Alternatively, you could get some ABS sheet and use regular ABS cement, since I'm pretty sure Nerf plastic is ABS (it seems to work well for me).

#338573 Need some help

Posted by roboman on 30 April 2014 - 03:16 PM in Homemades

Gears is correct. Amazon carries the rails - they're between $7 and $10 or so, and ship free with prime if you have it. The longer mount is for a 9 slot rail, the shorter one is for a 7 slot. If you'd like, I can print you new ones with standard picatinny rails that don't require the MOE rails. The reason those ones are set up the way they are is because I was supplied with the rails beforehand.

Note that I don't currently have black filament and if you want them to match, you'll either have to paint them or wait for me to get black filament when I get back home for summer break in a couple weeks. I can only imagine that the grip and stock plate are painted; I've never printed anything in black except for the rail mounts, and those were on Lucian's printer the night before Apoc. Also, I can replace that stock plate for you, if you'd like. At the time, I didn't realize how low the density was on the Stratasys printer, and now that I have my own, I can make much stronger things that don't take forever to print.

EDIT: Oh hey, my PM inbox was full. Sorry about that, if you were trying to contact me before, you can do it now.

#274851 Magstrike Clip Problem.

Posted by roboman on 15 May 2010 - 05:52 PM in Modifications

The newer Magstrikes should be compatible with the older magazines. At last year's Armageddeon, I borrowed a few magazines from a friend that had an older (blue) MS, and they worked perfectly with my newer (yellow) one.

#334081 3k Tank Issue

Posted by roboman on 17 September 2013 - 12:56 PM in Modifications

It's not generally an easy fix. You basically want to get some sort of an adhesive between the pin and the rubber part (super glue works, if I recall correctly), but in order to do that without getting that glue on the sealing face, you typically have to open up the tank. You might be better off just replacing the tank, if you can get a spare from someone. I've actually been having this same issue with the latest batch of 2K tanks, and I'm really not sure why.

#330502 W.A.R.M.U.P.

Posted by roboman on 02 June 2013 - 06:51 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll try to be at this one. I think my dad wants to have a barbeque or something, but I'll see if he can move it to the next day.

#321228 H.N.R.G.G.

Posted by roboman on 29 August 2012 - 09:53 PM in Nerf Wars

I will be there, possibly with two others.

#335903 M.O.A.R. N.E.W.T.O,Y.S. SoCal War January 4th in Corona

Posted by roboman on 11 December 2013 - 09:45 PM in Nerf Wars

I may have something on the 28th, but I certainly have stuff on the 4th. I'll do what I can to make it out there, though.

#313125 Ever Chronographed your blasters?

Posted by roboman on 18 March 2012 - 10:39 PM in General Nerf

Some basic testing I did a while ago with a singled AT2K.

#330908 Tactical Rail Dimensions

Posted by roboman on 15 June 2013 - 03:10 PM in Homemades

All of the Nerf attachments rely on spring-loaded clips to hold their attachments to the rails. This removes the need for a truly standardized system, since their attachments can account for slight variations between blasters.

#330511 W.A.R.M.U.P.

Posted by roboman on 02 June 2013 - 10:46 PM in Nerf Wars

Oh if you bring the tanks we talked about, I can buy them there. If I can convince my buddy to come with, that is haha.

I'll see if I can have them ready by then.

#311997 G.E.N.O.C.I.D.E.S.

Posted by roboman on 27 February 2012 - 09:29 PM in Nerf Wars

Yes, Robo, it is. Me and Korned have the day off, and Brian is free that weekend. Or should I say this weekend.

Pfft, fine, I see how it is. Obviously, I'm not going.

#304986 NerfRevolution hacked

Posted by roboman on 25 September 2011 - 11:29 AM in General Nerf

It seems to be back up.

#224057 Solder Stand Spring?

Posted by roboman on 16 April 2009 - 08:44 PM in Modifications

I think many of those stands have two springs: a conical outer spring, and a cylindrical inner spring. If you could somehow separate the two, the inner one would be the most viable for a nerf gun.

#171983 Vulcan With Roto Track Spring?

Posted by roboman on 24 August 2008 - 09:14 AM in Modifications

this may be because i've only moded my scout

If you've only modded your Scout, then it probably isn't a good idea to jump in and mod your Vulcan.

I was hopeing to increase some range because im only getting some were around 15'' (eye balled it so it may be more or less) with stock.

15" doesn't sound right for a Vulcan. Mine gets around 35 ft right out of the box!

#200845 Mega Maverick Shoots 100'

Posted by roboman on 03 January 2009 - 03:29 PM in Modifications

You should consider using stefans. They're cheaper than stock darts, and if you make them well, they will go farther than stock darts.

For the timing to work out, the valve shouldn't trigger until the end of the trigger stroke. That's when the turret is aligned with the valve.

Nice mod, though!

#311991 G.E.N.O.C.I.D.E.S.

Posted by roboman on 27 February 2012 - 08:46 PM in Nerf Wars

Is this seriously on a Monday?

#301827 Reviving a 2k

Posted by roboman on 19 July 2011 - 09:05 PM in Modifications

Very nice work!

Any chance you have some pics of the seal around the pin?

#270851 Petg . . .

Posted by roboman on 31 March 2010 - 10:24 AM in General Nerf

Does anyone know where I can get it BESIDES the internet? Like a Lowes or Home Depot or something?

It's very hard to find it locally. I went to all of my local aquarium shops, with no luck. Is there a reason you can't buy it on the internet? That might be your only option.

You CAN buy it on the internet, but you usually have to purchase quite a bit ($1000+).

#301916 Reviving a 2k

Posted by roboman on 20 July 2011 - 08:02 PM in Modifications

The seal looks like this from the front.

Heh, thanks, but I meant the other side. Any chance of internal pics of the area where the pin comes out of the back of the valve? I'm just curious as to how Nerf accomplished it, and I don't really wanna demolish one of my 2Ks to find out.

#342958 CAD Help

Posted by roboman on 21 November 2014 - 01:17 AM in Homemades

We do not - if you're wanting it to be just homemade blasters, I'd be open to help with one. I primarily use sketchup, and it's pretty easy for me to knock out models. Personally, I'd think sketchup would be a better format since it's freely accessible and has built-in public cloud storage, but I could export to many formats. Not sure what the free version of Sketchup can open though.

The free version of SketchUp can only handle .skp and .3ds files, as well as Google Earth terrain (which, while kinda neat, is largely useless for us). As far as I've been able to figure out, Sketchup files are generally incompatible with most major CAD systems. If you pay for the PRO version, it lets you export 3D DXF and DWF files, but those are still generally difficult to work with in most solid modeling programs.

As people have mentioned before, students can get an educational copy of Inventor for free, and it can export to virtually any standard CAD format you can imagine (except .skp). I'm partial to SolidWorks, but it's much harder to obtain a (legal) copy of it for free. Torrents are widely distributed and easily available, but I know some people are less than comfortable with that. The files are directly compatible with Inventor, though (and you can export .ipt/.iam/.idw files if you install the free Inventor View software).

Someone made a CAD file directory at one point. It's very incomplete and not maintained. I haven't found a need for one, at least for my files. I keep everything in Dropbox and share links to folders when people ask me for files. Almost all of my CAD files are available to anyone who asks for them, as long as they're in a state that I'm happy with (though boltsled files will not be made available - draw it up with a pair of calipers if you want to create your own derivative).

#305954 Air Control Valve Questions

Posted by roboman on 15 October 2011 - 08:24 PM in Homemades

Honestly, $17.60 isn't a bad price for what you're asking. In fact, that's probably about as cheap as you'll be able to go - even I would charge more than that to make what you're looking for.

#308147 SBBAFF&SCUNW planning

Posted by roboman on 08 December 2011 - 11:02 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm thinking sometime in the late spring or summer, just knowing on how slow the family bureaucracy is, and I need time to get stuff moving, like darts and maybe mob'.

Late spring or summer would work nicely. Mysterio and Korned, keep in mind that my dad's plane has two seats, and a very small baggage compartment. We might be able to borrow my dad's friend's plane, though...I guess we'll have to see as this gets closer to having an actual date.

#308109 SBBAFF&SCUNW planning

Posted by roboman on 07 December 2011 - 10:15 PM in Nerf Wars

I might actually be willing to go, if there's a large enough attendance. From Google Maps, it looks like it's right down the street from the airport, so I might be able to convince my dad to fly there with me.

#331466 possible balls for a homeade

Posted by roboman on 01 July 2013 - 07:35 PM in Darts and Barrels

I've seen a number of people use them. They work quite well in big airguns, particularly when you shotgun load a bunch of them in some PVC and cram darts between the balls. Makes for a really nice short-range spread. I'm pretty sure most people use them with 1.5" Sch. 40 PVC, which should give you a fairly tight fit.

#307366 Experimental methods for determining and predicting blaster power

Posted by roboman on 14 November 2011 - 10:14 PM in General Nerf

I too, have done some simple tests with a chrono and a singled 2K. Quite a while ago, I posted the results as a response to MiG's thread about determining the "power" of your blasters. Unfortunately, I was just about out of darts when I shot the video, and I managed to lose all of them in the process of testing. When I finally get around to making some more (I'm out again), I'll see about getting some more data.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrSGUD-BLYQ

#301977 Reviving a 2k

Posted by roboman on 21 July 2011 - 05:18 PM in Modifications

Sorry but I never took apart the back of where the pin goes through and I dont have any pics of the interals of the back.

Aw, okay. Thanks anyways!