Photo

Solder Stand Spring?

7 replies to this topic

#1 rocketninja

rocketninja

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

You know those Soldering Gun stands that use a spring to hold the soldering gun in place?
I was wondering if those spring were applicable to nerf?
"I'm willing to bet he will never "Own A Beaver""
-Mr BadWrench

#2 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

Well, they're extremely hard to compress and they're huge, so if you can find a gun that's reinforced to all hell, and has a ginourmus tube (cough cough *Angel's PAS* cough cough), then you might be able to use it.

~F!nnster

#3 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/LukeKoboJobo on Reddit

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

Also, the only ones I've ever seen are cone shaped.

#4 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts
  • State:Maine

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

Also, the only ones I've ever seen are cone shaped.

All that means is that the spring provides consistent pressure, instead of getting progressively harder to compress as you push it together.

I don't see why this wouldn't work in a gun that could handle it.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#5 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

You know those Soldering Gun stands that use a spring to hold the soldering gun in place?
I was wondering if those spring were applicable to nerf?

I don't think those coils were ever intended to be a "spring" of sorts. It's simply to keep you from burnin' mommy's kitchen table with yer iron. Or your hands, come to think of it.

Have you one of those stands? Maybe you should take it apart, take that coil, try it out, and report back how well it works in your blaster.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#6 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

I think many of those stands have two springs: a conical outer spring, and a cylindrical inner spring. If you could somehow separate the two, the inner one would be the most viable for a nerf gun.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#7 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

I work with soldering irons for a living. They will not work for what you want to attempt. They are not compression springs. There are a couple of models. The conical spring is the most common one. Its only purpose is to protect the user from accidental burns, though the spring does heat up a bit.

The cylindrical spring versions are less common as they do not dampen the heat from the iron at all.

A newer version has two springs, both a conical and a smaller cylindrical one within the conical. The cylindrical spring acts as a heat sink and absorbs a lot of te heat so that the outer spring stays relatively cool.

None of these springs will compress in any way to be used in a Nerf blaster. All you will be doing is destroying every blaster you use it in and throwing away your money.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#8 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:40 AM

True, they are coils, but the confusion comes from the fact that every descripton of the soldering stands calls them springs. Do an online search and you will see what I mean.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users