Zombie Games.

I am blown away.

56 replies to this topic

#26 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:08 PM

I'd love to try this, but I don't have a place to hold one.

I live kinda in the country, and not near any colleges or anything, so I'm not sure. Anyone got any ideas?

Get some freinds together. I can run rules by anyone who wants to start a game, because they get rather complicated. Melee weapons and other things are involved.
Updated 6/2/08
We are the proud members of University of Maryland Nerf Activity Society, summer plans are:
Weekly games and summer Dart o' War.
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

visit www.umdnerf.com for rules and forums or PM me for any questions. We always welcome outside players.

#27 Galorn

Galorn

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:21 PM

Well for Folks in the NE there is at least one postapoclyptic LARP that does have Zombies in it and allows use of Nerf guns specifically. their Website is www.Endgamelarp.com
My heatware info;

Username: Galorn
Email: Galorn2@aol.com

#28 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:05 PM

Sorry to bump this, but for anyone who doesn't know, this video is on On Demand under stupid video's. I think it's in the Cutting Edge section. Sorry if someone's already posted this.

#29 Heartw0rk

Heartw0rk

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

Greetings all. I've lurked on NH on and off for roughly a year and a half and am amazed at all that you folks do. I'm presently a sophomore at Goucher and will be playing my third game of HvZ come Halloween. I'd like to inform you all that this forum is a truly precious resource for many an adventurous HvZ player– the mods seem to get more and more intense every game. I'm hoping to keep a video journal this round and will post it for viewing pleasure once the game is finished.

For those interested, I'm packing the following–
-2 Mavericks with chamber mod (ie, they flip out all the way) in custom restitched airsoft utility belt and holsters
-Longshot with Captain Slug's foregrip kit, air suppressor removed, and an added BBB spring w/ three standard clips (although I'm hoping to double them up when I buy a fourth)
-Nitefinder with stretched spring and removed air supressors

I also have a TommyMech 20 with a removed barrel cage. When you're fighting at close range with one of those in HvZ, accuracy matters little.

I hope it's okay I exhume this post. If not, let me know!

Asa

#30 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:13 AM

Welcome to the Haven, your post was worthwhile in my book.

And legible. Hooray for grammar and spelling.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#31 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:06 AM

I also have a TommyMech 20 with a removed barrel cage. When you're fighting at close range with one of those in HvZ, accuracy matters little.

I hope it's okay I exhume this post. If not, let me know!

Asa

Your post is good in my book, bro. When you say barrel cage, do you mean the flare on the end? I'm pretty sure that's just cosmetic, have you noticed a difference with it off?

EDIT -- I hate to be a nitpick, bu NH is not phpBB. NHQ is, though.

Edited by yourface, 09 October 2007 - 11:12 AM.

#32 Heartw0rk

Heartw0rk

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:50 AM

Welcome to the Haven, your post was worthwhile in my book.

And legible. Hooray for grammar and spelling.

Thanks. It had better be legible– I'm an English major! :D

Quick noob question...is there a reason that, since I've logged in as a user, all threads look like this?

Posted Image

Because before I logged in as a registered user, they looked like 'normal' threads I see on the 10 or so other phpBB message boards I'm on.

Thanks again.

Your post is good in my book, bro. When you say barrel cage, do you mean the flare on the end? I'm pretty sure that's just cosmetic, have you noticed a difference with it off?

It's cosmetic for sure. The difference is quite simple: the darts don't misfre and "plink" pathetically out of the gun as a result of nicking the rim of the cage.

I actually didn't end up using it in the spring game last year. A friend did– he survived fine for almost the entire game, but when the darts in the Tommy's magazine get soggy from rainwater, well......that's just when I get happy that my Longshot's ammunition stays almost completely waterproof while loaded.

Edited by Heartw0rk, 09 October 2007 - 09:46 AM.

#33 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:08 AM

Because before I logged in as a registered user, they looked like 'normal' threads I see on the 10 or so other phpBB message boards I'm on.

click the "Options" button on the top right corner of the thread and select "Standard".
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#34 Heartw0rk

Heartw0rk

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:20 PM

Thanks, Captain.

Also, re: your foregrip kits in the video, I'm the very very tall guy with the long hair pulled back. My friend Chris was the one with the black LS, beard and hat and he ordered one from you shortly before that game. I think we're the only two actually using your kits, however....Os, the kid with a blonde crewcut in military togs bringing back the man we had to "rescue" from the gazebo in the video made a grip of his own. It's nothing to yours but an impressive DIY effort nonetheless. I believe Max Temkin just ordered one from you the other day, per my suggestion- he's the one behind the documentary we all know and love. He moderated last game but will return to being a hardcore player this game.

To those playing or wanting to play, a quick sidenote.

See the guy on the left?

Posted Image

Motherfucker got tagged in broad daylight, the SECOND day of the game. Our supposed "recon team" got compromised.

It's not worth buying loads of military surplus/tactical gear.....there's no need to look like a SWAT member or have as many little gizmos as Batman to play HvZ. I say this because 1) you guys get pretty into the militaristic aspects of some Nerf stuff here, I think and 2) if you are in fact playing HvZ at a college or university the administration may have serious objections when the players look like possible paramilitary terrorists. We've had the good luck at Goucher to have great PR and the President digs the game; but some folks (ie our Peace Studies department) do not let up.

#35 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

1. I believe Max Temkin just ordered one from you the other day, per my suggestion-
2. you guys get pretty into the militaristic aspects of some Nerf stuff here, I think and

1. Yes he did.
2. No, we don't. That kind of thing doesn't fly at a Nerf War for good reason: it's useless
All you need is some way of carrying extra darts (Most of us have some kind usable of pouch/bag/pocket devised for this purpose) and an easily accessible secondary. Whether it's clipped to you, in a pocket, or integrated into your primary.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 09 October 2007 - 01:33 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#36 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:33 PM

About the only useful "tactical" thing I can think of would be a flashlight, especially for HvZ, because I'd imagine y'all end up in some dark places and some extra illumination would be helpful.

As far as the rest of it goes, it looks badass, but almost always gets in your way.

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#37 Heartw0rk

Heartw0rk

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:37 PM

About the only useful "tactical" thing I can think of would be a flashlight, especially for HvZ, because I'd imagine y'all end up in some dark places and some extra illumination would be helpful.

As far as the rest of it goes, it looks badass, but almost always gets in your way.

Fact. I have a mini-mag taped to the top of my LS, I guess I neglected to mention that. My first thought was "when the hell will I use this? It'll only give me away..." Then, flash forward five days and it's a fine evening in which four friends and I are circling through a woodland path with zombies on both sides....our rescue mission is botched and had it not been for my flashlight and the sudden charisma of my buddy with the TommyMech20, we'd have been goners for sure.

Can somebody link me to that old thread of CaptainSlug's detailing the 2+1 extended Longshot clips? I need to find a buddy on campus to help me out with that. I'm not so handy.

#38 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:41 PM

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8071

Longshot Mod directory: http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=7527
General mod directory: http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=7150

#39 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

Fact. I have a mini-mag taped to the top of my LS, I guess I neglected to mention that. My first thought was "when the hell will I use this? It'll only give me away..." Then, flash forward five days and it's a fine evening in which four friends and I are circling through a woodland path with zombies on both sides....our rescue mission is botched and had it not been for my flashlight and the sudden charisma of my buddy with the TommyMech20, we'd have been goners for sure.

Can somebody link me to that old thread of CaptainSlug's detailing the 2+1 extended Longshot clips? I need to find a buddy on campus to help me out with that. I'm not so handy.

Sorry for the bump once again, but I am in charge of our modification& munitions team over here at University of Maryland: College Park, and I came up with an excellent mod for the firefly which I hope to post later tonight. I took a firefly and dremmeled out the top of the gun, took out some of the wire guides inside the left casing, and put the flash assembly on the top of the gun with the help of hot glue and the scrap from a minimized nitefinder. HIGHLY recommended for HvZ, as it proivides at LEAST a 2 second temporary blindness in relative darkenss( think street lights) and one of my test subjects claimed 7 seconds looking directly at the flash. Ever since, I've been recominding the thing, as it's recently been on Amazon for 13.99, which is a great price.
Updated 6/2/08
We are the proud members of University of Maryland Nerf Activity Society, summer plans are:
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

visit www.umdnerf.com for rules and forums or PM me for any questions. We always welcome outside players.

#40 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • State:California

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:31 AM

Since you bumped it already, and we are still on the topic of playing at night and using some kind of illumination, I'd like to share a link to a good flashlight site. www.surefire.com.

Their G2 Nitrolon is pretty affordable and is one of the best flashlights you could possibly get. It's drastically brighter then a large maglite but fits in your palm. I own one myself, not just for the nerfing/airsofting, but for camping and stuff. I'm positive this light would have a greater effect on people then a camera flash.

Just thought I'd share something that might help a bit.

#41 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

For those of you with out huge wallets, I have wired up a small energizer on/off flash light with rechargeable barrels to a rocker switch. All you need is solder & a solder gun/wand, flashlight, top battery loading AA battery, rocker switch and AA rechargeable batteries. It will last for 7 nights if necessary with only 3-4 refills. Perfect for a nitefinder and I have tested it for about 2 days. I have a 1/2 pvc tube glued into the battery holder with a removable end cap. The problem is, my parents car ran over it after I left it in the drive way because of a good knee scrape...decent bleeding... I used it in a capture the flag game in the dark. It was 4 vs 4 and I used the flashlight to find their flag. It was so easy with the rocker switch but now it is totaled, all 12-14 bucks of it...

EDIT: I watched the movie again... I need to go to Goucher or an east coast university. I have to be a part of this. I am the new Spartan in training!

Edited by Lynx, 12 October 2007 - 09:31 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#42 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

Bump ish so my questions gets answered:

What does a normal day of Humans vs. Zombies like?
Can a participant please give me an overview?
Is it a lot of close range, long range, invading and/or group battles?

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#43 Longbow

Longbow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

I go to Ohio University, we had our first game of HvZ last year with about 300 or so participating members. We also have slightly modified rules in our game. The second game starts in a little over a week, so I have been getting prepared. Last year I was zombiefied about a half hour before the end of the game and I am intent on surviving this year.

To answer your question Lynx, the way I would describe HvZ is scary.

I know it sounds a little silly because it is only a game and all but it really does get into your head. You will find yourself constantly looking over your shoulder for zombies and you will check to make sure your NF is loaded every few seconds. It is really exhilarating to be running down the street with a horde of 30 some zombies chasing after you all yelling "BRAINS!".

A normal day of HvZ is supposed to be just that, a normal day. You still go to class, go to eat, do homework, whatever. The thing is that while you are doing all those things you are always playing, so at any point you can be attacked and have to run for your life. There were many times last game where I would be walking and talking with someone who was not playing and I would see a zombie lurking and just take off sprinting to get away safely. Towards the end of the week however there are so many zombies that you have to start being much more careful anytime you go outside. Like it talked about in the video the game becomes the primary thing. I ended up being late to all my classes because I would go the long way around campus to avoid being ambushed. Then finally the last night of the game there would be mobs of 50 or so zombies just roaming around looking for the last surviving humans. It really was one of the best experiences of college for me so far, and I am really looking forward to an even bigger game this year. I had an absolute blast for the entire week and I met tons of people I wouldn't have met otherwise. It is obviously something that is hard to do in most situations just because of the sheer amount of people needed, but if it is ever possible for you to play I highly recommend it.

As far as long/short range stuff goes, I was one of the very few last year with a modded gun. (many people weren't even able to get nerf guns because our local walmart completely sold out of them). Because of this the battles were typically very up close, though I was able to surprise many zombies by shooting them while they thought they were at a safe distance. This year there has been a lot more interest in modding so the distances should increase some.

Wow, sorry that was such a long post I just get carried away some when talking about HvZ.
Final thing I promise. Here is a short trailer for a video of our HvZ from last year that was never finished. This is all we got but it does give some idea of what it was like.

#44 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:20 PM

Sweet! It sounds like this will stick for 3+ years so I can join you all if lodging is provided or something of the sorts. Thank you for the information!

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#45 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

Red Alert is the shit.

My college tried to do Assassins last year and it tanked pretty badly. I'm hoping to do Zombie's sometime next semester. Any tips on how to get it started?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#46 Longbow

Longbow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

Well I was not one of the creators of the game last year so I wasn't involved in much of the behind the scenes type stuff. Our game was pretty much entirely run off of facebook though. They made a HvZ group and all the rules and announcements are posted in it. This also made it very easy to invite people. I don't know if you can see it from other schools, but here is the link to our facebook group. Good Luck!

#47 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

check out www.umdnerf.com for our rules. to get it started, you really do need to know quite a bit of people, at least 20, who know other people. If you can get at least 20 players, people will see it, think it's AMAZING, and ask how to join. Our first game started with 50 people, but quickly grew to over 300.
Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#48 Kalentar13

Kalentar13

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

The game is so freakishly sweet
Western Michigan University just finished it's second game of it.
Lots of ambushes, running for your life, and scary people chasing you
My trusty LS/DTG has about 100 kills on it in two games.
We used objectives to get people to play and not get bored. They make it quite hard to survive
For this game, in my experience, all glory goes to Boltsniper and his FAR. One guy with an FAR took down about 30 zombies in a single battle

For those asking about how to get the game started, get some friends and some unmodded nerf guns, go to some place that people pass a lot on campus, and play minigames of it. 4 zombies, 1 human, fight a lot. People will get curious and join.

PM me if you have any questions about the game. I work most of the time as a mod for it, so I know a lot of the logistics of the game.

P.S. Be careful of the local law enforcement. Black guns cause arrests
The Three Shall Spread Their Blackened Wings and Be the Vengeful Striking Hammer of God.

#49 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:41 PM

P.S. Be careful of the local law enforcement. Black guns cause arrests

We work WITH our campus police, let them know of events/ play times. They appreciate it.
Updated 6/2/08
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

#50 The Cardiac Kid

The Cardiac Kid

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:18 PM

I definetly would love to setup a game at the University of Guelph. The only problem I could forsee is Campus Police, as they seem to take things overboard. Any tips on how to approach the campus police and/or the university about organizing a game?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users