Inline Simple Clip

The easiest inline clip design

29 replies to this topic

#1 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:15 AM

I have been experimenting around with inlines the past week or so. This here is the easiest thing to make ever. It will take you literally 5 minutes. Almost anyone can do it.

I'd like to first thank CARBON and FROST VECTRON for there ideas/materials on the inline clip.

I don't think anyone has posted this so, I guess I will.

MATERIALS NEEDED:
1/2" PVC (atlleast a foot probably)
2 inches of perfect fitting material(PETG for me)
coupler (1/2" PVC coupler)
etape

THAT'S IT!
PROCEDURE

1)Cut your PVC down to how long you want it. I made mine hold 4 darts.... It's 10 inches long.
Posted Image

2) ETAPE(yes etape) your 2 inch barrel in on one end of the PVC. The etape should make it very tight and the barrel should NOT move in the PVC.
Posted Image

3) Put a coupler system on a powerful gun like the at2k or maxshot. You can use the regular quick in slip coupler or a screw on adapter(Thanks FV). Either one works fine.
Posted Image
Posted Image

4) Load 4 darts down the blank end(none barrel end of your PVC). ANd shoot!
Posted Image

IF YOU ARE USING A TIGHT FITTING BARREL, ADD A WEIGHT! YOu can use brass, cpvc, etc. Frost vectron sent me a couple 1/2" steel spacers. They work great! Here are some pics. I etaped one of them, so it would not slide through the PETG.
Posted Image
They also fit well in at2k turret stubs!
Posted Image

HOW TO SHOOT/RELOAD.
1) load the number of darts in.
2)point slightly to the ground. VERY quickly or your most likely going to get a double shot.
3) shoot.
4)repeat step 2 and 3 untill no shots are left.

RESULTS
There has never been a misfire(no dart leaves the barrel) on this yet. I've shot this over 75 times for sure. The only SLIGHT problem I've had is that about oncve in every 5 loads I double shot. I personally don't like it, but it does give a mean shotgun!

To prevent the double shot just point it like 5-10 degrees DOWNWARD. Thats's all. This thing has been great to me so far. It's awesome dealing with no weights, etc/

RANGES

With the maxshot single barreled I averaged about 90-95'. With this Inline Simple Clip ALL 4 shots end up in the mid 80's. My max hit 90'. So I'm losing about probably 7' in range, but have 3 more shots.....

The ranges are VERY consistent. You wouldn't believe it. All the shots end up within a foot of each other.

IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE:
Here's a quick problem and solution guide.....

PROBLEM- NO DARTS COME OUT WHEN I SHOOT

Answer- tilt the gun more downward AND/OR add a weight. Also your barrel material may be TOO tight.

PROBLEM- WHEN I SHOOT 2 OR MORE DARTS COME OUT AT ONCE AND I DON'T LIKE IT.

Answer- Tilt the gun less and if you are using a weight, try using the inline clip without the weight. Also your barrel material may be too loose.

Thanks for looking. Questions?

Edited by nerfer34, 05 November 2008 - 10:01 PM.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#2 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:26 AM

It seems like something I always thought was a problem (non-smooth junction between clip and barrel) isn't a problem at all...cool discovery.

Nice work...and good job taking something that was already pretty simple, and making it even simpler.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#3 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:02 AM

Thanks. Well if you hadn't discovered the inline clip, then I would have never came up with this. I am very surprised of how it works. Again thanks a ton.

The great thing about this is how mcuh you can experiment around with this, by adding or making the barrel shorter OR making the clip higher/lower capacity....

For me this clip really changes nerf "rifles". Before, after you shot a maxshot, you'd get rushed but now I wouldn't dare to rush this.

I'll see if I know how to get a video or something up to show how reliable this really is.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#4 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

Well good job I guess, but one thing has been bothering me for a while now, and that is the fact that Carbon, in my opinion, wasn't the first to create the in-line clip. I believe that 3DBBQ was, and I'll tell you why. Some time in 2004, 3DBBQ had posted a home-made of his that used an inline clip. In the video, it shows that the clip has a rapid-fire function, BUT the gun that he used it with had a VERY large air reservoir. Anyone who has tried using a single-file type inline, knows, that when used with a gun that has very large amounts of air, all of the darts will be dispersed with a shotgun-like effect. Not really a shotgun, because the darts leave the barrel one by one really. But anyways back to my original point. 3DBBQ's Gun/Barrel Idea had been posted in 2004! Carbon hadn't even joined until 2006. Now that's not to say that Carbon couldn't have created the barrel two years earlier, but it's very unlikely. Just my thoughts..... whatever. Feel free to disagree.

#5 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

Sorry if this is off topic:
How exactly did you get 90' with a couplered Max Shot? I did the exact same mod as you probably did (well the one on the front page) and shot mine, and it only went 45'! I shot the gun inside my long hallway aswell so there is no wind or anything.

#6 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

Awsome! I'm going to do this on a Big Blast when I can get around to K-mart.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#7 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

Hey, I'm glad everything worked out for you!

So you ended up not needing the steel spacers as a weight to advance the shots? The PETG must be a perfect fit then. My brass was a little on the tight side, so the weights in my in-line clip made sure to push the dart a little into the brass to prevent a misfire.

If other people use brass for their barrels, I suggest putting a tightening ring (depending if your brass is tight or loose) to stop loose darts from moving too far forward so a second dart can chamber or to stop loose darts from falling out of the barrel.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#8 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

Sorry if this is off topic:
How exactly did you get 90' with a couplered Max Shot? I did the exact same mod as you probably did (well the one on the front page) and shot mine, and it only went 45'! I shot the gun inside my long hallway aswell so there is no wind or anything.

A singled maxshot should be getting 90-100' easily. I think I forgot to mention that the secret is BRASS with the maxshot. ANd use tightening rings. Maxshots are POWERFUL guns. How long is your barrel and what material? Is the coupler getting a good seal?

Hey, I'm glad everything worked out for you!

So you ended up not needing the steel spacers as a weight to advance the shots? The PETG must be a perfect fit then. My brass was a little on the tight side, so the weights in my in-line clip made sure to push the dart a little into the brass to prevent a misfire.

If other people use brass for their barrels, I suggest putting a tightening ring (depending if your brass is tight or loose) to stop loose darts from moving too far forward so a second dart can chamber or to stop loose darts from falling out of the barrel.

Yea, I never actually needed them, although they are good to have just in case. Yep PETG is a perfect fit for my darts. I'm definitely making more of these to slap on 2k, etc.

Edited by nerfer34, 28 August 2007 - 06:34 PM.

#9 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

I'm confused now. I followed your mod except using 3" of PETG and 11" of PVC to compensate for the longer PETG. Anyways, put the barrel on my Titan, tilted it down then up quickly and pumped then fired it. It had alot lower ranges and 1 misfire. I tried with my Big Bad Bow and nothing shot out at all. Help?

#10 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:13 PM

I made one and put it on my newly singled today-but now Inline-Clipped 2k, and it works great!
The only thing I changed was I added a 1/2 CPVC coupler to the end of the 1/2 PVC coupler, and added PETG to the end of there because OMC's PETG stretches PERFECT around the 2k's airtank with a little force.

The only problem is a dart falling out, but I might change to brass soon...
Thanks Nerfer34!
Timothy M-Lick <3

#11 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:56 PM

I'm confused now. I followed your mod except using 3" of PETG and 11" of PVC to compensate for the longer PETG. Anyways, put the barrel on my Titan, tilted it down then up quickly and pumped then fired it. It had alot lower ranges and 1 misfire. I tried with my Big Bad Bow and nothing shot out at all. Help?

OK well first I recomend pumping first then tilting.

But how do your darts fit in PETG? It should be close to a perfect fit.... How long are your darts? I think you should try 2 inches of PETG instead of 3(you'd be surprised the differnce).

Make sure the barrel(PETG) isn't moving at all.

Your welcome Keef. Good to hear it worked for you.

#12 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:41 AM

OK well first I recomend pumping first then tilting.

But how do your darts fit in PETG? It should be close to a perfect fit.... How long are your darts? I think you should try 2 inches of PETG instead of 3(you'd be surprised the differnce).

Make sure the barrel(PETG) isn't moving at all.

Also, more PVC = more dead space to pressurize. It'll reduce your range.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#13 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:54 AM

Six-Five-Two:

The fact that you're using a Titan means that you've got some MONSTER air capacity and power, even with the in-line clip being there.

I am almost certain that slapping a longer barrel will increase the range. I've seen people use barrels of two feet or more with the Titan without an in-line clip. An in-line clip does add dead-space, but for a Titan it should still have quite a long barrel.

That's the range thing... now about the misfires...

I am going to guess that your darts fit a little tight in the barrel material you are using. If this is the case, I suggest some kind of weight inside of in-line clip (behind the darts) that can help push the darts down into your barrel when you point it down.

Either use small pieces of brass, aluminum, or my favorite: 1/2" x 1" steel spacers.

If you are going to be using a weight, you might need a slightly different in-line set-up. This "simplified" in-line set-up can have a fixed barrel and you reload by taking off the entire in-line clip. Nerfer34 can get away with that because his darts fit so well in the PETG that he doesn't need a weight in the clip itself.

My spin on the in-line clip had a small piece of 1/2" CPVC that slid around inside of the in-line clip. Since the weight is in there, if I removed the in-line to reload like Nerfer34, the weight would fall out. Instead, I used some threaded PVC couplings to have a removable barrel and a fixed in-line clip. This means I take off the barrel to reload, so the weight in the in-line clip stays in there.

Check my sawtooth mod if you don't understand what I'm talking about.

Also, I think the Maxshot might be able to handle a slightly longer barrel as well. Remember the Sawtooth that I stuck this thing on was seriously underpowered, so I used a tiny barrel. Nerfer34, your PETG seems to work with your darts very well, so maybe you could slap a longer barrel on there since the fit is so perfect.

#14 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:06 AM

Inline clips are the new big thing, they're freaking awesome. I made one today out of a cardboard tube and some tape, and it's kicking ass already. Of course it was just a prototype to see if it will work with my darts and PETG, you should see what I'm planning next.
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#15 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:23 AM

frost vectron,

Well I was only using a couple of pumps with my Titan so it was only going about 25'.

Also, I was repackaging my Maxshot so I could return it aswell... umm I actually just took the coupler off and put on the original barrel and it works good.

So your saying I should put a weight pushing the darts down? Because my darts don't need to apply much force to push in to the PETG. It slides in well (that didn't sound right). I'll check out your Sawtooth mod now. Wouldn't a longer barrel just prevent fishtailing and improve accuracy..?

#16 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:39 AM

Longer barrels can sometime provide additional power as well.

It depends on the dart size and barrel size and the way the gun delivers air. If the barrel is too short, the dart exits the barrel too quickly before building up enough speed. Once the dart leaves the barrel, the gun does not propel it any more.

Some guns need short barrels (specifically guns with low power). Other guns need longer barrels, otherwise they'll perform just the same as low-powered guns. By adding a longer barrel, many times you take fuller advantage of the nerf gun's power.

As far as misfires go, if your darts can slide in easily, then maybe the weight isn't needed. You said you were pointing down quickly and then bringing it back up. Try putting the gun fully vertical and then bringing it back up and firing. If you're still getting misfires, add a little bit of a downward shake when the gun is fully vertical and then bring it back up to fire. You might also need to sand down or flare out the end of the barrel that the darts slide into. If it's rough around the edges, it might be preventing darts from chambering. If you're still getting misfires, then perhaps a weight/follower is what you need.

EDIT: [Just to clarify about the titan and number of pumps] What range do you get with that number of pumps but with your usual barrel set-up on there? Is it much greater than 25 feet? I would assume so, but just making sure that it's actually the in-line that is restricting range and not the number of pumps.

Edited by frost vectron, 29 August 2007 - 03:41 AM.

#17 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:20 AM

I updated the first post with some pictures of the steel spacers that Frost Vectron as talking about.

Nerfer34, your PETG seems to work with your darts very well, so maybe you could slap a longer barrel on there since the fit is so perfect.

That's what I'm gonna do. Thanks!

Here's a quick problem and solution guide.....

PROBLEM- NO DARTS COME OUT WHEN I SHOOT

Answer- tilt the gun more downward AND/OR add a weight. Also your barrel material may be TOO tight.

PROBLEM- WHEN I SHOOT 2 OR MORE DARTS COME OUT AT ONCE AND I DON'T LIKE IT.

Answer- Tilt the gun less and if you are using a weight, try using the inline clip without the weight. Also your barrel material may be too loose.

#18 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

I've been working on this system for basicly all last night and today, and figured out a way to completely avoid double fires. I have been testing this system on my LBB, which are notorious for releasing air slowly. I developed a detent system for PETG barrels, where tightening rings are impossible. Sorry if this gets wordy. You take some e-tape and cut a section equal to half a wrap of your PETG (I'm using OMC PETG) and wrap it around the end where the darts go in. Except you leave half of the e-tape hanging off of the end, and fold it into the barrel. I've had success pushing the middle part in first, then each of the edges. This effectively creates a tightening ring where there was none before. This really helped on my LBB, but I am still having problems with double feeding. I then tried this on my super BBB. It worked great. The only problem I had was misfires, but that was because the barrel was too long. I was using a 8" PETG barrel with about 18" of PVC. I know that's huge, but I can fit 5 or 6 darts in my clip. I will keep working on it until it is perfected.
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#19 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:05 PM

When using guns with insane power, I think double-fires could be caused by a--yes--lack of deadspace.

If air can't pass around the darts in your in-line very easily, then maybe the air actually pushes the whole column of darts and one gets double-fed into the barrel. This probably isn't the case for low-powered guns, but I can see this being an issue with things like the Titan, LBB, or maybe even the maxshot.

I used 3/4" CPVC for my in-line base, which has very thin-walls compared to 1/2" PVC sch. 40. The O.D. of 3/4" CPVC is almost the same as the O.D. for 1/2" PVC, so I can still use all the coupler-y goodness and stick my brass into 1/2" PVC for protection as usual. Thoughts?

#20 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

nerfer34, why is brass the "secret" for the Maxshot? Why can't I just use PETG for good ranges?

#21 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:40 PM

nerfer34, why is brass the "secret" for the Maxshot? Why can't I just use PETG for good ranges?

The way the maxshot distrubutes air is kind of wierd.....

I normally use OMC PETG for everything as it has a perfect fit on my darts. 9/16" brass is a little loose on my darts. But I added a coupler tightening rings to a brass barrel and put it on my maxhot and I noticed a 10' increase to my PETG barrels(I tried all sizes).

I tried a 11" clip with a 3 inch PETG barrel for the inline and got nearly the same satifying results.

Wrath, I'm going to give that a try. Thanks

#22 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:08 PM

If air can't pass around the darts in your in-line very easily, then maybe the air actually pushes the whole column of darts and one gets double-fed into the barrel. This probably isn't the case for low-powered guns, but I can see this being an issue with things like the Titan, LBB, or maybe even the maxshot.

I used 3/4" CPVC for my in-line base, which has very thin-walls compared to 1/2" PVC sch. 40. The O.D. of 3/4" CPVC is almost the same as the O.D. for 1/2" PVC, so I can still use all the coupler-y goodness and stick my brass into 1/2" PVC for protection as usual. Thoughts?

That makes perfect sense. So are you saying that 3/4" CPVC will fit in a 1/2" PVC coupler? I ask this because I have a lot more access to CPVC than PVC, my Home Hardware (canadian hardware store) just started carrying the white PVC, very strange. I can probably bum some 3/4" CPVC off my pig farmer friend because they use it for water lines in their barn... they have crazy amounts.

#23 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:04 AM

Not quite, WratH, but pretty damn close.

If you've got a dremel, it's about a 2 minute job. The 1/2" PVC coupler needs to be widened just a bit. Actually, you could just stick with CPVC couplers and sizes, and that should work out too.

#24 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

UPDATE:
I got my inline clip to work with my Maxshot. Awwww right! Thanks nerfer34. It wasn't working with my BBB but it's working with my Maxshot...

#25 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:54 PM

Great! It's good to here its also working with everyone else!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users