Photo

Silencers

wtf

39 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

Since a silencer would be used (I think) on a longer barrel, it's (the silencer's) leverage on the barrel will multiply the weight of the gun considerably. So I'd think that there would have to either be a long, slightly weighted stock, or a short heavily weighted one. Either way, I don't think that many people use will even use a stock stock when their running also camping usually doesn't work in a war, so I'd count that out too.

Sorry that I worded that so badly. Its not that hard to explain things like this, but I have trouble writing down what I mean. The point is that silencer=shitty. No matter what.

Edit:

I read your sig as I posted this, and laughed out loud. (langy's quote)

Edited by DarkInfection, 15 August 2007 - 08:09 PM.

#27 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

You`re true about the leverage thing. A gun that helps eliminate that (an excellent example, might I add) is General Primevil`s SOBR. Kick-ass silenced design.

Glad you like the sig.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#28 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:46 PM

A silencer does not need to be heavy.

#29 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:54 AM

OMG!

Just add a fucking Coke bottle with holes in it over it!!!! Jeesh!
Timothy M-Lick <3

#30 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:39 PM

OMG!

Just add a fucking Coke bottle with holes in it over it!!!! Jeesh!

How do you effectively use a coke bottle? It is large enough that if the frequency and wavelength is right, you could actually amplify the sound.
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#31 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

A good scilencer for a 2K, LBB, LSB, Big Blast, and Titan can be made by having your actual barrel, in this case, CPVC full of holes toward the front, but not at the tip. Then you can secure the bottle with Goop or Epoxy, with a section of 1in ThinWall PVC running through it with holes in THAT, and the bottle will fairly much disperse the sound.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#32 younggunner

younggunner

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:32 AM

if you did not have the holes in the bottle you could amplify the sound, but because you put holes in the bottle it merely disperses the pressurized gasses(air) before it leaves the barrell thus reducing the sound.
Visit My Site
Join My Forums
Nerf Design

#33 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

No, it works. Holes in the bottle would make it reverberate. This way, all excess pressure gets dispersed in the bottle. I have 3-4 around somewhere.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

-Baghead

#34 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:14 PM

No, it works. Holes in the bottle would make it reverberate. This way, all excess pressure gets dispersed in the bottle. I have 3-4 around somewhere.

I think I have the jist of your design, but could you post a picture to clarify? Also, did you use a specific design/template for porting your barrel?

#35 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:24 PM

No pattern or anything, just drilled holes and tried to get them equally on either side.
-Nerfer34

-Baghead

#36 bored kid93

bored kid93

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

no, you're quitting because you're wrong. the plain and simple truth of the matter is that nerf guns have neither the barrel velocity or the range to make even a fantasticly functioning supressor a worthwhile addition. you're much more likely to be noticed because of motion than because of sound anyway, and in nerf, no-one likes a sn1per, making a supressor even less desirable.

I hate sn1pers as well. I just have a gun that I have gotten it to work with, but I don't think it's entirely practical to use 90 psi for single shots, like my gun does. Either way, I NEVER said it's practical, or that anyone should USE one. If you some of you guys disapprove of silencers, then why are you posting here ? The sole purpose of a silencer is to let some gases depressurize upon the exiting of the barrel, thus reducing audible sound. If you have enough power to do this, like I do, then you can make it work. I have read a few books on firearms, and I'm a firearms enthusiast, I have read about silencers and how they work.

Edited by bored_kid93, 20 August 2007 - 12:59 PM.

I'm going to pull out this line: "Speculation is a waste of time. Just wait and see what comes of this. If anything." - Captain Slug.
Captain Slug, I couldn't have said it better.

#37 privateer

privateer

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:28 PM

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=9554

I managed to build my silencer into the bolt of my ls. In a springer, the high pressure gases (air column) don't produce all that much noise; the plunger slamming into the end of the plunger chamber is the culprit.

I managed to deaden nearly all of the crack by stepping down the tubing diameter in the bolt and then using a THICK wad of mouse pad. It also kills dead space.
"How are you gentlemen??
All your base are belong to us!!"

{Presbyterian College Nerf}

#38 deathwolf

deathwolf

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • State:Illinois

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:23 PM

It is entirely doable to build a working silencer. I've done it. Not that it works well, mind you. But it is cool.
BROOD XIII

#39 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

Why would you want to build a silencer? I personally find the loud noise makes the gun sound very powerful.

#40 Recruit

Recruit

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:39 AM

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=9554

I managed to build my silencer into the bolt of my ls. In a springer, the high pressure gases (air column) don't produce all that much noise; the plunger slamming into the end of the plunger chamber is the culprit.

I managed to deaden nearly all of the crack by stepping down the tubing diameter in the bolt and then using a THICK wad of mouse pad. It also kills dead space.

And to make the noise even less fill in the dead space with say, fbr or some other material with sound absorbing qualities. FA did this to his shotgun he modified.
Falcon about himself.
... Ask Bags...he'll tell you without hesitation that I'm an idiot, but I certainly think about it before I do something stupid.

"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."

-Piney-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users