a.k.a. how not to piss everyone off at the wars

79 replies to this topic

#51 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:15 PM

Hey Badger, Check your pms.

EDIT:: I trust you. Just getting your attention.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 01 June 2008 - 09:40 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#52 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:30 PM

So, when you say the weights on a dart must be completely covered, do you mean by foam, or is hot glue allowed? Also, thank you for writing the article. Being that I haven't yet attended a war, it gives me a bit better idea of what to except when i do get the chance to be present in one.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#53 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:44 PM

The weights on the dart must be covered by hot glue.

The foam 'blank' is slightly burned into creating a place for the weight to rest. After, that you cover the weight in hot glue by making a dome. The hot glue keeps the weight secured, makes it so you don't get shot with a bb with a foam sabot, and and improves aerodynamics.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#54 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:08 PM

On the topic of blocking darts, where does a foam Buzzbee sword stand? I have heard of OMC using one, but heard that anything other than a Manta Ray counts a hit.
QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#55 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

That was a joke.

And so was your question I hope. :huh:

Just use shields, swords, Daedric armor. Whatever, play with what sounds most fun.

Edited by keef, 02 June 2008 - 02:32 PM.

Timothy M-Lick <3

#56 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:17 PM

That is a very special rule which you would have to ask the organizer if you can envoke the rule. But I don't suggest actually suggesting it.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#57 Kuhlschrank

Kuhlschrank

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:59 AM

On the topic of blocking darts, where does a foam Buzzbee sword stand? I have heard of OMC using one, but heard that anything other than a Manta Ray counts a hit.

The only time that I've seen someone block shots with that sword is when the situation was clearly set up, and the shooter was trying to get him to block it. I have not seen it work in a actual war. I'm sure if someone DID manage to block it, no one would be averse to not counting the hit.

Unrelated Question: Wasn't this topic intended more as a guide for a person's conduct at a war, rather than how a war is run?
+Kuhlschrank+ of the ~Lawnchair Mafia~

#58 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:42 AM

I have a question/comment about something that happened at Apoc. It was me and Fenixharth round one as the only survivors of our team, and we were staring down about 6-7 people. He had his Chimera and I had a LS Carbine, so we balanced pretty well between range and ROF. We were in the far back part of the park, basically the furthest point from the staging area all the way through the woods, in that clearing by the road.

So there we were, and there was pretty heavy traffic along the road, as well as a few pedestrians walking along the sidewalk next to the road. So, naturally, Fenix asked the guys on the other team not to go over there as we can't shoot that way so we don't hit cars and/or bystanders. They agreed and we stayed away from that way as well. But soon after they just rushed us from that side, which ended up taking both of us out, mainly because we couldn't shoot that way (esp. the chimera). Their justification was something along the lines of that the traffic had died down and the cars wouldn't even notice if they got hit. This of course sparked an argument about dents and scratches in the cars and a flying, metal weighted piece of foam hitting a windshield moving 50 mph.

I just want to know where this stands on conduct? We obviously didn't feel that we were free to shoot in that direction.
Teehee.

#59 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

The only time that I've seen someone block shots with that sword is when the situation was clearly set up, and the shooter was trying to get him to block it. I have not seen it work in a actual war. I'm sure if someone DID manage to block it, no one would be averse to not counting the hit.

OMC has done it successfully, and not with an obviously setup scenario, using a Buzzbee Sword.

Unrelated Question: Wasn't this topic intended more as a guide for a person's conduct at a war, rather than how a war is run?

It was, then some people started asking specific rules questions about whether some things would be allowed. It has actually helped with the growth of this topic. In the end, this topic has leaned towards members asking questions about the semantics of different situations. It is annoying when they try to find a loophole in a hole to exploit though.

I have a question/comment about something that happened at Apoc. It was me and Fenixharth round one as the only survivors of our team, and we were staring down about 6-7 people. He had his Chimera and I had a LS Carbine, so we balanced pretty well between range and ROF. We were in the far back part of the park, basically the furthest point from the staging area all the way through the woods, in that clearing by the road.

So there we were, and there was pretty heavy traffic along the road, as well as a few pedestrians walking along the sidewalk next to the road. So, naturally, Fenix asked the guys on the other team not to go over there as we can't shoot that way so we don't hit cars and/or bystanders. They agreed and we stayed away from that way as well. But soon after they just rushed us from that side, which ended up taking both of us out, mainly because we couldn't shoot that way (esp. the chimera). Their justification was something along the lines of that the traffic had died down and the cars wouldn't even notice if they got hit. This of course sparked an argument about dents and scratches in the cars and a flying, metal weighted piece of foam hitting a windshield moving 50 mph.

I just want to know where this stands on conduct? We obviously didn't feel that we were free to shoot in that direction.

I feel that in this type of situation, play during the round should have been suspended and everyone should have retreated to another location away from all of these elements, preferably a clearing to eliminate giving any additional advantages to any one specific group. Both groups should then have spaced themselves apart far enough so that the chances of dodging were equal and the range of a blaster would be moot as all the blasters in play would have a chance of hitting their mark barring bad darts or bad aim, so let's say 40 feet.

Everyone was told at Apoc to avoid the walkways, so a road should have been avoided s well. The 5-person team took an opportunity to pin you down, but in the process took away your ability to defend yourselves or retreat. Pinning you in a dead-end eliminates your escape routes, but stills gives you the option to fight back. What they did was, in my opinion, unfair as you could not get away or fight back.

Also, a car would most certainly know they were hit. Ever drive in a car and have something bounce into your panels while at speed? The sound resonates through the frame of the car and sounds alot worse than it might be. If I was driving along, saw some kids shooting things at each other then heard something hit my car, I would stop, approach the shooters, and raise hell. It was a surefire way, if a dart did hit a car, to end Apoc as well as any other war from being hosted at Deal Park ever again.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#60 infidel

infidel

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:09 AM

Sorry if im necroing this but since this is stickied i thought "what the hell." I just have to say something about the tapping part. You said that if someones gun isn't cocked or loaded it doesn't count as a hit. Well just as an example people in a war in real life usually carry knives. So i am saying that in real life they would knife the person that they are "tapping" so i think that even if the persons gun isn't loaded or cocked that it should still count as a hit because the person would have knifed. For a perfect example of this is in Call of Duty 4 were people can knife instead of shoot at close range or as a sneaky kill.

infidel
"yeah, we suck in close combat. its a shame you'll never get there."

"you CAN have your cake and eat it too"

"school is a microcosm of society"-elmo

"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow because delay may give clearer light as to what is best to be done."
Aaron Burr

#61 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:19 AM

i thought "what the hell."

in real life

Couple of things.
1) Fix your awful grammar
2) That kind of "thinking" is a good way to get on the shitlist
3) The "in real life" thing is the real problem. Call of Duty 4 IS NOT real life. The tap rule is not about acting as a knife or a bayonet. It is an attempt to score a hot as well as not intentionally hurt the person 2 feet away from you. It's more of a "don't be a dick" rule than anything.
4) If you bring a knife to a gun fight, real or nerf, expect to lose.
I hate you.

#62 infidel

infidel

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

Ok, im sorry if I offended anyone I was just stating an opinion that is all.
"yeah, we suck in close combat. its a shame you'll never get there."

"you CAN have your cake and eat it too"

"school is a microcosm of society"-elmo

"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow because delay may give clearer light as to what is best to be done."
Aaron Burr

#63 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

Most of these sorts of rules have been made for practicality, not realism. For example, even if it's only your clothes or you gun that gets hit, you still take the hit. Obviously this is less 'realistic', but it makes it much easier to settle disputes over dart hits: If you caused the dart to stop, it counts. If the dart kept going past you, it doesn't count as a hit.

Like OMC said, the purpose of the tap rule isn't to simulate an attack with a knife or a bayonet, it's a way to spare your opponent from getting a nasty welt, and save yourself the risk of an embarrassing missed shot from really close range. The one-dart-one-tap rule is just there to keep you from being able to tap a whole bunch of people at once, because that's sort of considered a dick move, and it allows some pretty questionable strategies. So it's a game balancing rule that has nothing to do with realism.

The problem with your post is that 1.) it sounds like you've never been to a nerf war, so you haven't really got grounds for complaint, and 2.) none of this has anything to do with Nerf War Etiquette.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#64 nerf mafia

nerf mafia

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

A quick question on shield rules one buzzbee makes foam shields if you put gun internals on it hat worked could you use it in wars and count like a manta ray? Also spygear recently came out with a new wrist mounting disc gun that clearly shows a kid using it as a shield and says something about it deing used as one to go with the pic, so even though it is a disc gun can it count like a manta ray, also it is big enough shell wise to integrate stuff making it usefull war wise.
THE OHIO PLAYDATE. WE PLAY WITH FORKS.

#65 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

A quick question on shield rules one buzzbee makes foam shields if you put gun internals on it hat worked could you use it in wars and count like a manta ray? Also spygear recently came out with a new wrist mounting disc gun that clearly shows a kid using it as a shield and says something about it deing used as one to go with the pic, so even though it is a disc gun can it count like a manta ray, also it is big enough shell wise to integrate stuff making it usefull war wise.

Pure and simple since this question keeps coming up...if it wasn't originally a Nerf blaster with an integrated shield, it would not be allowed at any major event. The buzzbee foam shield isn't Nerf. The foam swords have only been allowed for comedic value, not as a serious weapon for use in every round. As for the spygear, I'm not so sure. I will say this though, no shield is going to ever truly protect you. I took Death out in one round at a war and he is, by far, the msot well known nerfer for using a shield. He uses a stock manta that he has never fired, yet I took him out, evading his shield head-on all three hits.

In the three years I have been playing, I have seen only two people using shields, so just work on your skills with a blaster and stop looking for another shield option.

Now can this topic finally get back on the topic of etiquette? Shield rule loopholes and other rules concerning what can or can't be used at a war aren't etiquette. Tactics and scenario questions are ,as are rules concerning types of gameplay and how they work.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#66 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:08 PM

What happens if you team kill?
Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#67 silentsnipe

silentsnipe

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

What happens if you team kill?

Either your out, or you get shot in the face by THEM.
And it's absolutely rated R for the violence. Also boobies. And pee pees.

Talio.

Join TheNerfFreaks.forumotion.com TODAY!

#68 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

Tho my hosted wars aren't considered "major" by any stretch, I do allow shield integrations and separate shields. The way I see it is if you can block a dart with a shield then its a block. I feel it adds an extra dimension to the game. I see no reason this feature should be specific to the Manta. If the aspect of the gun is designed specifically as a shield then it is a shield.

But It is going to be up to the host of whatever war you take your gun to if its shield abilities count as a block or a hit. So I would say check with the host. If they post a thread add it to discussion and see if it is possible.
But as Badger stated most of the larger wars aren't down with the shields unless its a Manta.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#69 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

Blacksunshine do you realy host wars in washington I mihgt be able to atend one or two.
I'm just the scitzophrenic clusterfuck of randomness that is me.

#70 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:11 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Where do you draw the line?

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#71 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:16 AM

Where do you draw the line?

Generally my guideline is about 1'x1'. Roughly.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#72 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

I'm still pretty far from attending my first war, but this is a great guide.

I'm a total n00b to this sport, so this'll ensure that I don't go to my first war, act like a complete dick, and trash my Nerfing reputation for good.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#73 Strange-1

Strange-1

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:04 AM

I'm really glad you wrote this article. My boyfriend and I recently started a Nerf Fight Club and we have been debating on good rules for the battles. This will be very helpful. Lovely article.

Edited by Strange-1, 25 April 2009 - 01:05 AM.

I shoot zombies with Nerf guns.

#74 Forgottenboomer

Forgottenboomer

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

Very well written Badger. Simple yet thorough.

#75 Wasp

Wasp

• Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:55 PM

Do full-head helmets (such as a paintball helmet) count as body armour?
"Those who fall, are not worthy enough to rise"

92% of teens would cry if Miley Cyrus was about to jump off a building.
If you are part of the 8% who would say "Jump B****, JUMP!!!!" . . .
Copy and paste this in your signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users