Photo

Switch Shots Ultra Mod

a decent gun for something I found rotting in my back yard.

12 replies to this topic

#1 commander erik

commander erik

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:55 PM

Yes, you heard me a Switch Shots Ultra mod. This thing has been rotting in my back yard for at least 5 years now. I finally found it yesterday (Mother's day) and decided to clean it up and (hopefully) mod it. The only problem was that the yellow air tank was gone.
I will let you know in advance that this gun will no longer have the ability to fire water when we are done, and will loose the ability to fire semi-auto if you follow this write-up exactly.
Anywho...
Time: about 20 mins.
Materials needed:
Hot glue gun w/ a few sticks
Screwdriver
saw/dremel
Needle nose pliers/wire cutters/scissors
About 6-ish inches of 1/2'' CPVC.
Small welch's bottle or possibly a vitamin water bottle. (This is only if you lost the large bright, yellow airtank)
See what I mean?
Step 1: get your SSU open. You will need to start with the yellow fire-mode-selector thing. Use the saw/dremel to cut the peice of plastic off between the barrels. Hell, get it off any way you can, because I didn't even want to put it back on. (Do you need a pic?)
Step 2: Trim off some (or all) of the water-intake hose. You might also want to cut the hose leading from the tank to the water barrel: I also cut off the trigger that leads from the main trigger to the water-release valve.
Posted Image
Step 3: Add a ring of hot glue around your replacement air tank, then insert it where the old one was. Here is what mine looks like:
Posted Image
Step 4: First, get the barrel pins out of the barrels. Cut 2 similar peices of 1/2" CPVC. I used 2 of the CPVC barrels that fell off of my DTG, which are about 3.5 inches. I wouldn't use anything longer than 5". Put two rings of hot glue around each barrel, and insert them into the stock barrels. Then, plug the hole in each of the stock barrels. Here is what this should look like:
Posted Image
Step 5: This is only if you want to fire both barrels at the same time. DO NOT do this if you want your blaster to fire the same way it does stock. Press the thin white peice of white plastic down. You want the spring totally compressed. This is the peice on the front barrel, if your are looking at it as though the gun were shooting right. Put some hot glue around the valve pin that sticks out. You don't want that white peice to move again. EVER. Here is the pic:
Posted Image
And here is an MS Paint diagram, beacuse my wording sucks:
Posted Image
Step 7: plug the OPRV:
Posted Image
You will also have to plug the two holes in the side of the pump:
Posted Image
(That black spot is just some dirt that was in there.)
Step 8: Attempt to reassemble your blaster. You may have to rim the case or cut out some of the case halves in order to do this. Here is what it looks like before you assemble both halves together again:
Posted Image
(Note: the end of my pump handle broke off long ago. I just covered it with some duct tape.)
Here is a finished pic with a BBB for size comparison:
Posted Image
Ranges: 40-50 ft (flat) with decent stefans.
In closing:
I like this gun. It's a bit bigger than an AT2K. It shoots 2 darts at a time, and you could easily manage 6 darts total from one shot. I use this almost all the time in my indoor wars, now, because the darts rarely go outside of a 2 foot radius of where I am aiming. And with 6 shots coming at you, who needs accuracy?

Edited by commander erik, 14 May 2007 - 06:52 PM.

USA

#2 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:06 PM

Nice. I like it. Very creative with a juice bottle.
kthxbaisend

#3 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:56 PM

Nice! Can the juice bottle hold the pressure?
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#4 commander erik

commander erik

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:01 PM

It seems that as long as it doesn't leak it will hold pressure indefinitely.
I'm starting to think that the cylindrical peice below the bottle may actually be the air tank. (Look at the 2nd picture). I don't really know, though, but I suppose it's too late now. :unsure:
USA

#5 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:21 PM

Haha! Welch's...
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#6 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:20 PM

I am pretty sure the cylindrical thing underneath the bottle is the real air chamber...

if your juice bottle was infact the air chamber, then it would take a very, very, very long time to pump it to full capacity.

Also, I don't think hot glue is capable of holding good pressure (I also doubt its ability to even provide an air-tight seal with the bottle and the gun).

If you do intend on increasing the air volume of the air tank, keep in mind it will take longer to pressurize it using the pump size you have, and you will need better materials--I am thinking PVC instead of the juice bottle and plumber's goop instead of the hot glue.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#7 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:21 AM

You guys would be amazed with how much pressure a bottle like that can take. With the cap on, you can actually roll a small car over one without it blowing up.
-KBarker

My Fighting Robots: http://www.TeamVelocityRobotics.com/

#8 PREDATOR

PREDATOR

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:50 PM

You guys would be amazed with how much pressure a bottle like that can take. With the cap on, you can actually roll a small car over one without it blowing up.

True. Anyway to relocate the airtank to be the bottle?

Edited by PREDATOR, 15 May 2007 - 02:50 PM.

QUOTE(Groove @ Apr 29 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post

Wise man always say, "Arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded."
-Groove

#9 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:13 PM

Vary creative with the bottle. It looks really clean. Good job.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#10 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

I dont understand why nerf makes a fake air tank!

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#11 zxnam

zxnam

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:22 PM

I am quite sure that that was used for water so if I am correct that bottle isn't doing anything for the gun, please correct me if I am wrong though.

#12 commander erik

commander erik

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:50 PM

True. Anyway to relocate the airtank to be the bottle?

With some barbed couplers and some spare tubing, yes, I'm sure I could. I kinda want to, now.

And, predator, there is no reason to. The stock one is doing just fine as it is now. However, the problem with replacing it lies in the fact that the air tank has two outlets, one for each barrel. It would be hard to find another air tank like that.

I am quite sure that that was used for water so if I am correct that bottle isn't doing anything for the gun, please correct me if I am wrong though.

The reason that you actually need a "fake" air tank, though is that the gun pumps air from the dart air tank into the water tank. If I had pumped it without the bottle on, the air escapes our from where the water tank is supposed to be. Look at a super-soaker tank. You need to pump air into it in order to force the water out. That is what the bottle does here. It contains the water that is, by default, pumped into the water tank.

I wonder, though, in hind sight, If I could have just plugged the air inlet to the water tank. On second thought, though, I like my bottle. It fits and was creative for something I did in 20 minutes.
USA

#13 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:59 PM

OK. That makes a lot more sence. Thanks.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users