Remote Control Car Issues

Help!

3 replies to this topic

#1 Sponge Nerfer

Sponge Nerfer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

I have been working on making a remote control car out of bits and pieces of electronics lying around for the past week. I have a working transmitter a working reciever and two working motors. The only problem is that the motors are not powerful enough to move the car. I have already tried to uses batteries with higher voltage, that got closer but still wasn't enough. It would be nice to end this project in the next couple of days so I need to know if any of you guys know anything about RC cars, and if you can help solve this problem. I know that gears would work, but in order to get gears on the car I would need to order parts of the internet and that would take time and money (neither of which I have). I also can see that getting a huge motor would do it, but once a gain that would take too much time and money.

If you guys can think of a way to help please post!

Thanks

-sponge
When in doubt, make a huge nerf cannon of death.

#2 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:17 PM

Use small gears to connect the wheels to the motors. Its easier to start accelerating from a small gear. You'll out on maximum speed, but what does it matter if you can't go forward?
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#3 butleriscool123

butleriscool123

• Banned
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

Don't burn out your motors with higher voltage batteries, just try getting some more powerful motors, or you could lighten up the car. Maby try using smaller wheels too to add torque. Or you can just put gears in as murakumo said.

#4 GothicWombat

GothicWombat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:14 PM

you if you go to your local hobby store you can find differentials for your car, they can be like $20+ bucks for an already assembled unit but it will lower the gearing in your car.

if the motors aren't powerful enough to move the car directly then you can ether lower the gear ratio a lot, increase the power of the motor a lot, or make it easier to move the car. the last option is the least expensive as it involves lightening the car and making sure your bearings are well lubed but unless you have a problem you weren't aware of it probably won't do it by itself. as someone else said you can lower the gear ratio by getting smaller tires or putting gears between the axle and drive shaft.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users