Photo

Mythbusters

32 replies to this topic

#26 munson20

munson20

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:32 PM

I think we should compile a few myths that you actually have heard of, and atleast try and post a few of them on the mythbusters fan site. You may not see it possible or even plausible (Haha) but we should atleast try and get it on the show. Like I said before, we could watch adam and jamie have a competition to build the most powerful nerf gun. They have so many resources, they could build a great gun!
In war, one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic...

I know not what WWIII wil be fought with; however, WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones...

#27 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:39 PM

So you want to-
A. Fake a myth
B. Submit it to National Television
C. Have two special effect artists build you a gun
D. Mooch of Adam/Jamie

Right? Why don't you sit down and try to make your own gun? It isn't that hard. Just experiment. People have made highly complicated guns before, like the SCAR-N.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#28 munson20

munson20

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

No thats not what I said.

1.) I said we should compile real myths to post on the site and have them do a skit on them.

2.) For all of you who think it is a bad Idea, especially you general cole, why not try it? You all are like arguing not to do it. Are you saying that you wouldn't want to see it? I don't see why you take the time of day to argue why not.

Why wouldn't you wan't to see the mythbusters build a nerf gun?
In war, one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic...

I know not what WWIII wil be fought with; however, WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones...

#29 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:37 PM

myth  [mith]
–noun
1. a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, esp. one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
2. stories or matter of this kind: realm of myth.
3. any invented story, idea, or concept: His account of the event is pure myth.
4. an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
5. an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

Notice how none of the definitions include "an idea,concept, or story created simply to whore a topic onto a television program"

And besides that they already have created air cannons. They created an air cannon that shoots chickens and then straw.
I personally wouldn't want some half-assed rumor to be floating about that could possibly demonize a hobby I enjoy so much. If you want Nerf to get media attention, do something yourself that would warrant said attention without compromising your ethics.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#30 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:52 PM

I think the real question is do you want a bunch of kids who are trying to make nerf guns to kill people signing up for this site.

I think the obvious answer is no.

~ompa

THAT should have ended most of the bulk of this thread at page one.

Pat--your intervention, as well intended as it may have been, began the shit storm. PM one of us and just endure it...that's what I did before cx gave me a mallet. Folks stepping up and throwing administrative talk without the panel to back it generally get some thrown back at them. If you must say something, say it in a way that would make the other person THINK about the direction they're taking the thread.

Petrie--you haven't posted anything useful in awhile...so put a sock in it unless it was contributing to the thread.

Captain Slug-- you basically relayed my sentiments exactly;

I personally wouldn't want some half-assed rumor to be floating about that could possibly demonize a hobby I enjoy so much. If you want Nerf to get media attention, do something yourself that would warrant said attention without compromising your ethics.

Got it, people? IF you want to do this...do it on your own...and leave NerfHaven out of it. If it's that hard to understand, let me know here and I'll leave you out of NerfHaven to do as you wish.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#31 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:59 PM

If there's ever a problem thread, feel free to PM me. I check my gmail and should usually be able to check for new messages every hour or two. I do try to get through all the topics on NH that seem like they may be troublesome, but I just don't have the time at the moment to read every post every hour. I'm sure the other mods will agree that there are time limitations that keep us from checking the whole site for stupid posts every hour.

~ompa

#32 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:12 PM

Actually, Mythbusters have made up a air gun VERY simular to a nerf gun. It was in the Deadly Straw (not drinking straws, but farm stuff) myth that a straw in a huricane can cut threw a palm tree. Anyways, they made a stationary gun. The barrel was made of 1/2" copper... 100 feet or so. They also had a air tank, I couldnt see it that well. They used an automatic air compresser, and made a breach to load the straw. The trigger was I think a solenoid valve or something. It used electricity. The straw shot out at 318 MPH, 318 being the record for hurricanes. If they just replaced the straw with a nerf bullet it would have been a kick ass nerf gun... but it would probably have killed someone...

The myth was busted.

#33 moubeus5018

moubeus5018

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:13 PM

First off the mthbusters wouldnt do a myth like this. If they did it would be one of those Tory, Carrie, Grant ones. :wacko:

Second if they had put a nerf dart in it would explode from the pressure of the air in the hole for the peg.
(they arent into nerf thus no info on stefans) :angry:

Third. If they did make a myth test they would first creat a gun in a compitition or something, then bust it wide ass open, make the "gun" like the straw cannon and load a metal "nerf like" bullet and do that. They always replicate the the facts of the myth, then replicate the myths results. It would not help us atall. :unsure:

Fourth a snowball stands a better chance in hell before the mythbusters do a myth on nerf. I can see modiying the myth to frozen paintballs, or super airsoft guns, but a very limited extent a nerf gun. ;)

HONESTLY what gun do you think is powerfull enough to kill someone fireing stock darts or stefans??? :(
We are opposite sides of the same coin. Nomatter how we face, we will never see eye to eye."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users