Photo

Mythbusters

32 replies to this topic

#1 munson20

munson20

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:18 PM

Hello, I love the show Mythbusters, anyone else? Well, I was thinking that if we all posted a myth about a nerf gun so powerfull it stopped a heart or something like that on their fansite, then they would do it on the show. Whoever watches it, you know that they would have like a contest to make the best gun and probably have a waron the show! I think it woould be great because we could see some very smart inventors making nerf guns from scratch! anyone agree? I think we should make a myth to get it on the show!
In war, one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic...

I know not what WWIII wil be fought with; however, WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones...

#2 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:59 PM

That seems pretty underhanded.

I mean, making up a myth, for the sole purpose of getting on mythbusters? I mean, if there was a rumor that was going around the community on its own, then that would acceptable, but knowingly spreading a myth to get to some end? I don't support it.

Yeah, I love the show. But I don't advocate making shit up just so we could get on the show, or something. I've had this idea before, too. I just have these pesky things grown-ups call 'morals'.

It would be cool to see a Mythbusters episode on Nerf, don't get me wrong. But, they have research teams that actually go around looking for the basis of the Myths they do on the show, and they generally don't air the ones that they find out to be lies. And the fact that you posted this idea on a public-viewable forum means that they'll probably find out about this in less than 10 minutes on Google.

-Pat
QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

#3 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:06 PM

I think the real question is do you want a bunch of kids who are trying to make nerf guns to kill people signing up for this site.

I think the obvious answer is no.

~ompa

#4 munson20

munson20

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:34 PM

I was thinking that they would find out, I was just wondering who thinks that would be a reasonable idea. I was just suggesting somehting.

-Think about it, two geniuses making all metal amazing nerf guns! SWEET!!!

I know not what WWIII wil be fought with; however, WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones...

#5 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:58 PM

Actually, I don't think Adam and Jamie would come up with anything really special. At least nothing that we've never thought of before. They might have the materials to do things that we'd never do (I.E. a springer with a plunger 4 inches across).

But really, I don't think any of their idea's would be any different than the really simple home-mades out there, just scaled up. Like a REALLY big SNAP, or maybe some of 3DBBQ's first guns (I'm not calling Carbon and 3DBBQ stupid: I'm just listing some of the more basic home-mades).

It would be interesting to watch, but it probably wouldn't be anything really special. It would very entertaining, but not particularly 'better' than anything the NIC has come up with.

But, then again, they have done some pretty original stuff. I just don't think the mechanics involved in Nerf are their strongest points.

-Pat

P.S. Think about the admins here and at the HQ. So many people would sign up on both the forums. The boards would be unreadable for weeks if they did a show on Nerf!
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

#6 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:02 PM

A myth that we wouldn't need to make up is the one where the kid got his nose broken by an ultimator. Stil don't think its the greatest idea though.

#7 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:08 PM

I heard a myth somewhere that you can get a splitfire fire for $6-$10.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 24 September 2006 - 05:09 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#8 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:24 PM

I heard a myth somewhere that you can get a splitfire fire for $6-$10.

You win!! Oh, I just laughed so hard.

#9 munson20

munson20

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

Everyone on this site except a given few are assholes. You all must feel so empowered to bully someone on an online forum! Just because your life revolves around nerf guns and I mine doesn't does not mean you need to make fun of my posts.

I was just trying to post an idea I had that no one has posted about before. If you are just going to degrate it, than don't take the time to post in my topic.

#10 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:15 PM

You all must feel so empowered to bully someone on an online forum! Just because your life revolves around nerf guns and I mine doesn't does not mean you need to make fun of my posts.

You must feel so righteous to 'defend' your 'integrity' on an online forum. Just because you don't know much yet demand respect doesn't mean that you need to over react at everyone's posts about you.

Seriously dude. Calm down... Don't post for a while. If someone says something snide about you, don't post. Yell at your computer as much as you want: we can't hear that. However, when you write something and hit submit, even when this website is dead and gone years from now, somewhere in some search-engine cache your post will be there, for us to quote and throw back at you.

Try not to do things you'll regret. That includes making people hate your guts. And so far, you've been doing a bit more than is healthy.

Just calm down.

Calm down...

breathe...

think...

Yell all you want. Just don't post it. Because if you do, chances are those very same 'assholes' will throw it back in your face. Be as angry as you want. Just don't tell us about it.

You can be the biggest asshole in real life, but through the magic of the Internet and selective posting, you can seem like the nicest, most civil person. All through deciding what contributes to the conversation, and what doesn't. And responding to a flame with a flame NEVER helps.

If they post a flame, don't respond with a flame. Just drop it. That will ALWAYS turn out better than responding to a flame.

So... in conclusion: calm down. Now.

-Pat
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

#11 munson20

munson20

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:17 PM

I don't come here to make friends and be cool among you guys, I come here to get Nerf advice. Im not going to stop posting, and even if you guys don't respect me, I expect you to atleast be cool about it and just focus on what the question about nerf is. Sorry for making you guys hate my guts so much.

No one else post here because we have obviously gotten off the point of the topic. This topic is done!

Edited by munson20, 24 September 2006 - 06:21 PM.

#12 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:18 PM

Everyone on this site except a given few are assholes. You all must feel so empowered to bully someone on an online forum! Just because your life revolves around nerf guns and I mine doesn't does not mean you need to make fun of my posts.

I was just trying to post an idea I had that no one has posted about before. If you are just going to degrate it, than don't take the time to post in my topic.

Nobody really degraded you for posting this, they just said why they didn't think it was a good idea. You're being a little touchy; if you can't handle criticism, why post new ideas? Sorry if you thought anyone was trying to bully you but they really weren't.

I tend to agree with Pat in saying that so many new people would join here and NHQ that both sites would pretty much be destroyed, at least for a while.

Oh, z80, where did you hear about an Ultimator breaking someone's nose? The closest to that I've heard was some kid losing an eye from a CPS2500. That Ultimator story sounds pretty interesting.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 24 September 2006 - 06:21 PM.

SexD Warves

#13 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:20 PM

Munson is a manchild. I hate him. I want him and his 6 dollar splitfires to die. And burn. And burn. And burn.

Sorry, had to get it out.

Anywho, I would love to see nerf on mythbusters, but only if it was a legit myth.

-Butt
QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#14 munson20

munson20

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:24 PM

Its funny buttland, you only hate me to be liked among the others, excpet you agree with my idea of nerf on mythbusters.

WE ARE DONE IN THIS TOPIC!!!!

Edited by munson20, 24 September 2006 - 06:25 PM.

#15 puggy

puggy

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:59 PM

We are not done with this topic. You have been around here long enough to know what happens when a topic like this is posted. You should think about it for a while, no dart has enough force to stop someone's heart. It would be interesting to see, but....no. Why don't you just email mythbusters and ask them before you come over here. You knew what was going to happen. You just want attention so that you can raise your self esteem. So.....chill out!

#16 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:39 PM

I already input to them about redoing the myth on pain where jamie and adam shot paintballs at each other, but with nerf guns. They said they didnt see much behind WHY they should do it.

Anyone want to base someone off of a "is it true you can" with nerf guns kinda thing? I really want to see this on Mythbusters.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#17 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

This is generally where the mods put their foot down and close the thread. However, there aren't any mods here, so I guess someone has to step up for a second. Generally, it's Nerf Monkey, but I'll take some initiative for a change. I helped start this mess... I guess I'll help clean it up.

Alright, no one post about ethics, Munson20, or any talk about the quality of the members of this site!. If I check back here and see a post after mine that has NOT gotten this topic back on course, I will do all in my power (however limited that may be) to see that person be dealt with by our staff here at Nerf Haven.

No one is talk about munson or his posting habbits.

No one is to talk about the maturity of this sites members (unless DIRECTLY relating to a myth)

No one is to do ANY flaming, wether it pertain to a myth or not.

I think those are only fair.

Now, to get us back on topic; the only myth (Other than that Ultimator breaking a kids nose thing) is that if you put a really powerful spring blaster underwater, cock it, cover the barrel with your thumb, take it out of the water, and fire, that the blaster will explode in your hands.

Theoretically, it's possible. Water is an incompressible liquid, so if the spring was strong enough and the plastic weak enough, and the seal with your thumb stronger than the breaking point of the plastic, the spring could rupture the plastic with enough force to give you some nasty cuts, maybe take out an eye.

That's the only real 'myth' I've heard.

-Pat

EDIT: last man alive got his post in before mine. Thank you very, very much for helping the thread back on topic. That's more along the line of posts that this thread should have started off with.

Edited by {SF3G}pat 1st Lt., 24 September 2006 - 07:47 PM.

QUOTE(Pat) View Post

#18 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:29 PM

I really didn't want to post in this thread, but I do have an idea.

I have heard of someone pumping up and air-powered gun too much, thus, the airtank exploding causing some kind of injury. I don't know if any of you guys have experienced it, but I wonder what kind of damage it would cause.

#19 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

This is generally where the mods put their foot down and close the thread. However, there aren't any mods here, so I guess someone has to step up for a second. Generally, it's Nerf Monkey, but I'll take some initiative for a change. I helped start this mess... I guess I'll help clean it up.

Alright, no one post about ethics, Munson20, or any talk about the quality of the members of this site!. If I check back here and see a post after mine that has NOT gotten this topic back on course, I will do all in my power (however limited that may be) to see that person be dealt with by our staff here at Nerf Haven.

No one is talk about munson or his posting habbits.

No one is to talk about the maturity of this sites members (unless DIRECTLY relating to a myth)

No one is to do ANY flaming, wether it pertain to a myth or not.

I think those are only fair.

Now, to get us back on topic; the only myth (Other than that Ultimator breaking a kids nose thing) is that if you put a really powerful spring blaster underwater, cock it, cover the barrel with your thumb, take it out of the water, and fire, that the blaster will explode in your hands.

Theoretically, it's possible. Water is an incompressible liquid, so if the spring was strong enough and the plastic weak enough, and the seal with your thumb stronger than the breaking point of the plastic, the spring could rupture the plastic with enough force to give you some nasty cuts, maybe take out an eye.

That's the only real 'myth' I've heard.

-Pat

EDIT: last man alive got his post in before mine. Thank you very, very much for helping the thread back on topic. That's more along the line of posts that this thread should have started off with.

Isn't this what you got banned for last time? I hope it happens a gain, your lectures suck.
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#20 Petrie

Petrie

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:59 PM

All you guys except muson and last man alive are fuckin asshole nerf nerds . I think it would be sweet to see nerf on natonal Tv especally mythbusters.

#21 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:59 PM

Yeah, who died and made you the non admin, somehow automatically correct and more appreciated than NerfMonkey anyways? NerfMonkey didn’t die did he?

And before you talk about everyone getting on Munson about his spelling and grammar, check yours. I suggest performing a simple task of opening MS Word, copy and paste all of your post, and go through spell check. Simple!

Any who, onto finding a myth to send into them. Right now, they are working on the James Bond ejector-seat.

Looks like they like working with air, and air powered things. And if I am as geeky as them, I would say that shooting something is fun, thus why not be able to shoot toy guns that pack a punch at them? So other than the obvious of why would an air tank blow up from too many pumps, what do we have to work with on the wonders of an air/gas powered gun?

I am going out on a limb here, and saying that we try the fermentation thing to build up pressure from the CO2, and then see what we have. This would require a holding tank that is closed off with a low amount of heat added to it with a valve to attach a barrel and open to test the pressure. If we get a HUGE amount of range, we switch our first plan up with "Farmer Fermentation Creates Huge Cork Gun". Yes, it would be stretching the truth, but I bet anything that this would have happened sometime. Some farmer in the 60s and 70s was fermenting beer, corked it off for no one to smell, forgot about it, or maybe left it be for a long time to see how potent he could make it, and it ended up blowing the cork off and traveling a huge distance.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#22 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:13 PM

Alright, now here's a REAL myth, one that any HQ readers will agree is worth proving. A restrictor, o-ring, and spring modded 100'-110' average NiteFinder. There was one trustworthy member who posted a 100' NF, whose name escapes me right now. I don't doubt it shot 100', but I still think that the sheer volume of range claims for this gun merits real "urban myth" status.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#23 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:22 PM

I do belive that was Carrtoon. Nerf was on Weird USA. They used Mavs or Tech 6's to demonstrate the Alexander Hamilton's last dual.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#24 JurassicPark

JurassicPark

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:26 PM

I do belive that was Carrtoon. Nerf was on Weird USA. They used Mavs or Tech 6's to demonstrate the Alexander Hamilton's last dual.

Just saw it, old tech sixes.
"Why can't we see shit? Thats not a good sign."

-My Dad

#25 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

All you guys except muson and last man alive are fuckin asshole nerf nerds . I think it would be sweet to see nerf on natonal Tv especally mythbusters.

If we're Nerf nerds, doesn't that make you one too for being here so long? Just wondering.

And to all the people acting like I am the "substitute admin," I'm not. I just got sick of seeing stupid things being posted but I've been put in my place now. I have no more authority than any of you.

To Ryan: I've never had an airgun explode on me but isn't it generally accepted as fact that if you overpump one it will blow the tank? I thought that was true but I have never really heard any stories of injuries from a tank exploding, only guns being destroyed. However, ompa told of an incident in which someone got plastic shrapnel in their skin from an exploding Maxshot and both Pineapple and Grinch have had theirs blow up. That's just from the crazy spring though.

I really can't think of any other Nerf-related myths...I think it would be neat to see Nerf on Mythbusters but I really just can't see it happening right now. Or ever, for that matter.
SexD Warves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users